• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoDad

Valkyr Junkie said:
K, but last time I was at Costco and Best Buy, every BD player had an HDMI cable in the box. Retailers don't care because they still push their Monster cable shit as what you really need.

Wrong. Every Blu-ray player comes with Red/White/Yellow (composite) cables... You have to buy the HDMI's seperate. Monoprice.com is the best place, you can get one for around $5-$15...

They also put composite in each box for what was stated above me, as most people do not have a HDTV yet....

LegoDad

Teetris said:
Aren't the component connectors already included in the composite cable? To remove those two pieces would just be low.

Component is Red/Blue/Green/Red/White... Composite is Red/Yellow/White... you can't use one cable for the other.... Component goes up to 1080p but is useless on the PS3 as you can't upscale to HD on copyrighted items without the HDMI cable...

Teetris said:
Aren't the component connectors already included in the composite cable? To remove those two pieces would just be low.

I know the Arcade models only come with composite cables. Pro is the composite/component hybrid.

LegoDad

Teetris said:

Well if you want to go with those crap cables, go ahead... For Analog cables, more money = better cable... For Digital Cables, the signal just needs to get there... no interference so you can go cheap...

I had that for my wii, PS3 and 360, and switched back to my PS2 cables only for the PS3, and it looked much better..

anyways, i'm going offtopic..

Polk

caliblue15 said:
Component is Red/Blue/Green/Red/White... Composite is Red/Yellow/White... you can't use one cable for the other....
Have you seen Xbox 360 Component cable?
31Tr5K6JL2L._SS500_.jpg

You see? Both component and composite in one (with selector).
Component is standard RCA cable, colorcoded for your convinience. If you had standard component plugs on each side you could use composite cable to generate video (and audio if you'd used two sets of composite cables).

LegoDad

Polk said:
Have you seen Xbox 360 Component cable?
You see? Both component and composite in one (with selector).
Component is standard RCA cable, colorcoded for your convinience. If you had standard component plugs on each side you could use composite cable to generate video (and audio if you'd used two sets of composite cables).

Yes I have. I was talking in general about cables...

Edit: Alot of people still have trouble thinking all those plug into the TV... I deal with stupid people everyday..

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
H_Prestige said:
I know the Arcade models only come with composite cables. Pro is the composite/component hybrid.
Really? Damn cheapos! Might as well include no cables then.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
____ said:
I thought I heard them say they didn't include one because only a very small percentage of households had HDTV's or something like that.

It didn't make sense because the 360 still included it, but I vaguely remember something along those lines being mentioned.

that was probably Nintendo...

Truespeed

Look for a $50 price cut across the board for the 360 a few days before the $299 PS3 slim announcement. If the 360 Pro doesn't retail for $249 before the Sony announcement - I would be surprised.

LQX

Truespeed said:
Look for a $50 price cut across the board for the 360 a few days before the $299 PS3 slim announcement. If the 360 Pro doesn't retail for $249 before the Sony announcement - I would be surprised.

The 360 already has a sku at $199.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Truespeed said:

You think MS is just going to drop the price to $150 and $250 respectively?

Truespeed

Kagari said:
You think MS is just going to drop the price to $150 and $250 respectively?

Microsoft has a habit of undermining Sony (re)launches. I expect a little bombshell from Microsoft. They have something planned. It would be uncharacteristic of Microsoft not to launch a preemptive attack.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Truespeed said:
Microsoft has a habit of undermining Sony (re)launches. I expect a little bombshell from Microsoft. They have something planned. It would be uncharacteristic of Microsoft not to launch a preemptive attack.

Hard to say. Usually if it's that close, it would have leaked out by now.

neptunes

Truespeed said:
They need a redesign themselves

JoJo13

Banned
Truespeed said:

Microsoft will probably just drop the pro and go with the elite at $299...

wifi, 120 gb hd for $299...similar package to the ps3, though obviously no blu-ray

Grooski

Banned
Truespeed said:

By lowering the price??? Nah.

The 360 is still the cheapest. Demand at the pricepoint is not a problem. Sony has stagnated its demand at the $399 pricepoint. Lowering this and releasing its big franchises will drum up a decent amount of support. Nothing MS can do will take that exposure.

Exclusive title?? Would have been announced.
Exclusive DLC?? Not a console seller.
New console? No leaky ships indicating anything of the kind.

Move onto the new battlegrounds in 2010

Truespeed said:
Word is they'll just drop the Elite to $299 and remove the Pro.

I honestly don't think we'll see a price cut from MS other than that for 2+ years (Fall 2011). The drop in the Elite's price will stimulate sales a bit, then they'll ride things out until the end of 2010. The 360 is selling better than it ever has before year on year, and they'll just keep on keeping on for now.

At the end of next year, they'll probably bundle Natal with all SKUs instead of altering any prices, and they'll heavily market the new 360+Natal package (just look at how many morning shows and crap Natal appeared on after the unveiling - that's only the beginning). They'll try to combat the Wii next holiday season. They'll probably see a reasonable increase in sales, but the Wii boat is already gone. They'll stick with the Natal bundles starting at $199 for a year, then drop again at the end of 2011.

expy

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
Word is they'll just drop the Elite to $299 and remove the Pro.

I honestly don't think we'll see a price cut from MS other than that for 2+ years (Fall 2011). The drop in the Elite's price will stimulate sales a bit, then they'll ride things out until the end of 2010. The 360 is selling better than it ever has before year on year, and they'll just keep on keeping on for now.

At the end of next year, they'll probably bundle Natal with all SKUs instead of altering any prices, and they'll heavily market the new 360+Natal package (just look at how many morning shows and crap Natal appeared on after the unveiling - that's only the beginning). They'll try to combat the Wii next holiday season. They'll probably see a reasonable increase in sales, but the Wii boat is already gone. They'll stick with the Natal bundles starting at $199 for a year, then drop again at the end of 2011.

I don't think anything Microsoft does at this point will deffer prospective PS3
slim
buyers to do otherwise.

reKon

Banned
Microsoft will probably put together a ridiculous bundle with the Elite SKU at $299 and then advertise it. It would have to be with two good exclusives that have sold plenty...

What do you guys think they'd bundle. Gears of War 2 and something else perhaps?

JoJo13

Banned
I think Microsoft isn't even looking at Sony anymore, to be honest. They're totally mesmerized by the Wii's success. This could prove to be beneficial for them, or it could prove to be not-so-beneficial. On one hand, they could potentially capitalize on the Wii's success, on the other hand if it fails, then they also could lose some ground against the PS3. Kind of an interesting situation.

Natal is the future for them. They are basing the next 5+ years of the Xbox 360 on Natal. RARE has transitioned 100% towards Natal development, and they don't really appear to be funding new projects/IPs that are hardcore anymore. They're relying chiefly on Halo sequels. Because of this, they risk abandoning the core market. Though, Microsoft probably feels that releasing a new Halo title every year is sufficient when coupled with third party releases. Again, it's a gamble...their casual games have not been successful.

That's why I don't think they'll budge on price...they're already at mainstream prices. They will likely have a hardware revision + natal bundle for next year somewhere between $199 and $299, but I don't expect a $150 Xbox 360...I don't expect a $199 or even $250 pro/elite. Could they bundle? Sure, and they probably will since they use that strategy a lot. But there's not a whole lot they can do to undermine a PS3 Slim + $299 + potentially PS2 BC + the exclusive PS3 lineup + Blu-Ray.

reKon

Banned
JoJo13 said:
I think Microsoft isn't even looking at Sony anymore, to be honest. They're totally mesmerized by the Wii's success. This could prove to be beneficial for them, or it could prove to be not-so-beneficial. On one hand, they could potentially capitalize on the Wii's success, on the other hand if it fails, then they also could lose some ground against the PS3. Kind of an interesting situation.

Natal is the future for them. They are basing the next 5+ years of the Xbox 360 on Natal.

That's why I don't think they'll budge on price...they're already at mainstream prices. They will likely have a hardware revision + natal bundle for next year somewhere between $199 and $299, but I don't expect a $150 Xbox 360...I don't expect a $199 or even $250 pro/elite. Could they bundle? Sure, and they probably will since they use that strategy a lot. But there's not a whole lot they can do to undermine a PS3 Slim + $299 + potentially PS2 BC + the exclusive PS3 lineup + Blu-Ray.

Ya I agree. So like I said, what games do you guys think that Microsoft will bundle this holiday? Lol.

offshore

JoJo13 said:
I think Microsoft isn't even looking at Sony anymore, to be honest. They're totally mesmerized by the Wii's success.

I agree. When you think about it, there have been no rockets from MS launched in Sony's direction recently (or vice versa for that matter), and nothing MS has done recently has impacted Sony; indeed, Greenberg has even praised Sony over the last few months.

But I think the biggest problem MS have to eliminate if they're ever going to be the market leader is that for the past two generations they've been copying and been fixated the market leader.

It's well known that they were fixated on Sony when Sony were dominating, and now Nintendo are dominating, they're completely fixed on Nintendo. They've gone from obtaining Sony's exclusives to almost turning their attention to motion control in the blink of an eye; and with Rare (and Lionhead as well by the looks) moving onto to full scale Natal development, it only emphasises this.

If they keep doing that, they're going to constantly be behind. They need to pick a target market and stick to it. If they are always focused on someone else, they're likely never going to be the leader.

Zhuk

Banned
Bearillusion said:

Basically this, Sony will still be raping the Australian consumer with high prices :( i'm glad I only paid $699 for mine instead of $999 my mates paid to play games like F1:CE and Resistance.

Maximus.

reKon said:
Microsoft will probably put together a ridiculous bundle with the Elite SKU at $299 and then advertise it. It would have to be with two good exclusives that have sold plenty...

What do you guys think they'd bundle. Gears of War 2 and something else perhaps?

well they already got the elite bundle that comes with fable 2 and halo 3..but its $399..im thinking that they will drop the pro or elite line and have whatever came with the elite for 300. Im expecting a redesign for the xbox for the launch of natal as well, we all know the current xboxes wont live until 2015 :p
had 3 xboxs die so fuck microsoft

offshore said:
I agree. When you think about it, there have been no rockets from MS launched in Sony's direction recently (or vice versa for that matter), and nothing MS has done recently has impacted Sony; indeed, Greenberg has even praised Sony over the last few months.

But I think the biggest problem MS have to eliminate if they're ever going to be the market leader is that for the past two generations they've been copying and been fixated the market leader.

It's well known that they were fixated on Sony when Sony were dominating, and now Nintendo are dominating, they're completely fixed on Nintendo. They've gone from obtaining Sony's exclusives to almost turning their attention to motion control in the blink of an eye; and with Rare (and Lionhead as well by the looks) moving onto to full scale Natal development, it only emphasises this.

If they keep doing that, they're going to constantly be behind. They need to pick a target market and stick to it. If they are always focused on someone else, they're likely never going to be the leader.

This point of view completely ignores the fact that MS have already won over the hardcore and have a range of franchises for them which they continue to develop. There's limited uplift for the 360 in 'just' persuing this

yes they are targeting the wider demographic which has made the wii successful... but unlike nintendo they don;t seem to be sacrificing their hardcore to do so.

And to be honest... of all the plays they've made at 'expanding the audience' this is by far the most convincing.

Grooski

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
This point of view completely ignores the fact that MS have already won over the hardcore and have a range of franchises for them which they continue to develop. There's limited uplift for the 360 in 'just' persuing this

yes they are targeting the wider demographic which has made the wii successful... but unlike nintendo they don;t seem to be sacrificing their hardcore to do so.

And to be honest... of all the plays they've made at 'expanding the audience' this is by far the most convincing.

Complete rubbish.

MS has positioned itself as the HD platform for all gamers, young and old, but in doing so has created a two-front war. They will always be looking over their shoulder at Sony and trying to gain ground with Nintendo. If either move, MS has to react.

MS have yet to win over the "hardcore" as you put it. Outside of the US, there is little that seperates the PS3 and 360's market share and they fight over the leftover scraps of what Nintendo hasn't captured. The "uplift" required is increasing market share outside of home soil.

MS has been all about keeping ahead of Sony that they still have the Wii as an afterthought. How on Earth are they moving to capture the wider demographic? Natal? Promising but until compelling software is released, remains vague and lacks focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom