• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SLTTP: Dragon Age Inquisition

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Gonna try and keep this as brief as possible. And prefacing by saying I wasn’t a fan of Origins and never played 2 (but should just because)

Bought it day 1 in 2014 but tossed it quickly aside because I thought the character creator sucked and I was also balls deep in Alien Isolation so it was easy to walk away from. At the time.

Fast forward almost ten years. This is real good shit. Went with a human archer build and took some time to decide to just play as Kevin Costner circa early 90s.

Love the exploration so far. Love watching the numbers go up and collecting the mats and loot. These are the days right on the brink of the icon barf crisis. Creed Unity was the same year 😬

In 2024, it feels fuckin great to me.

xokBGhd.jpeg
hwYB0HN.jpeg
1G8U5rh.jpeg
c4q82Cx.jpeg
olzJUlu.jpeg
uqpDLMe.jpeg

I know the whole thing is “get outta the Hinterlands as fast as possible” but I love exploring and it’s not like the map is huge. It’s one of those types that looks bigger than it is and it’s got decent fast travel anyway.

So is this the real “final true” BioWare game or what? It’s early Frostbite 😮 but also pre Andromeda and Anthem.

So far so good.

DCDW

I played an Archer in that game as well and got bored as it felt like my attacks did squat for damage and any true damage I did was reliant on my skills which had long cooldowns. I've contemplated going back and playing a melee build. Also wasn't quite a fan of their shield system in place of healing.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I played an Archer in that game as well and got bored as it felt like my attacks did squat for damage and any true damage I did was reliant on my skills which had long cooldowns. I've contemplated going back and playing a melee build. Also wasn't quite a fan of their shield system in place of healing.

I’ve been using explosive arrows and flanking which seems to do more damage. Also going to start focusing on daggers just in case I wanna rush in with speedy melee in case I get bored ☑️

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The Artificer subclass was pretty awesome for an archer. It has some passives that IIRC decrease your cooldowns if you critical hit. Combine that with the archer ability where you leap backwards and spray a bunch of arrows, often you can land enough crits to reset the cooldown immediately. Then use that hook shot ability that pulls you back toward the enemy, and just repeat and spam the hell out of it.

Hrk69

Gold Member
I tried playing it multiple times but on PC the cutscenes are locked to 30fps. Removing the cap makes the cinematics act weird unfortunately.

It's just too jarring for me. Especially with the amount of cinematics this game has

Bodom78

Hmmmm, I remember picking this up way back when it was a few bucks for everything.

This thread has made me want to try it. Never played the first 2 games so I have 0 attachment to the franchise (Are the games related or like FF where each is its own story?)

Larxia

The game looked gorgeous, really beautiful, and the world itself was nice.
The game's structure though... It was horrible. It really felt like playing a MMO, but alone in single player. Very boring generic repetitive mmo quests, over and over.

Here's my screenshot album from back then:

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Hmmmm, I remember picking this up way back when it was a few bucks for everything.

This thread has made me want to try it. Never played the first 2 games so I have 0 attachment to the franchise (Are the games related or like FF where each is its own story?)

That’s basically my situation. No connection really to the first two and I’ve been totally fine learning about the world and what’s happening

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They give you this short "chose your own adventure" type comic at the start of the game that recaps the first games and allows you to make some choices from those games which sets up DA:I.

I don't think it's necessary, but folks that like continuity/lore might like the option.

Last edited:

RavageX

I personally didn't understand the hate. I did play it well after it was released, a GOTY edition that had everything so maybe that was the difference.

I hate DA2 though. Felt so...generic. First one was excellent.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I'm glad you dug the game man.

I personally tolerated it enough to finish it, but really regretted investing that much time in it. By the end I kind of hated it. Origins, conversely, was absolutely outstanding.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The real time combat looks pretty clunky...

Can i play it if i haven't played the other 2? Is there a recap of the plot?

I have the game of the year edtion on my library, a gift of amazon prime i think...

Last edited:

Denton

So much God damn filler. Decent story and main quests, overall 7/10 and not a point more. I expect Veilguard to fare the same.

bbeach123

The soundFX was amazing ,never heard anything like this before (at 2014) .

The linear map was great , the open world map was ok at the first 1 or 2 map . And then it feel really really fcking repetitive , same shit different skin .

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I know I beat this in 2014 but honestly I can't remember a single thing about the story lol

I won’t either.

Most likely due to the fact that it’s mostly written by women wait what wow oh my

Oh shit did I just say that

Yup I did

The whole premise just isn’t interesting anyway. Yay I’m Video Game Jesus. Again.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I liked it more than DA2, but there were some design flaws I didn't enjoyed. Open zones were nice, but their offline MMO-like design with larger focus on activities and meaningless fetch quests with very limited stories start being annoying after a while. Main quest was much better though

lmimmfn

I'm glad you dug the game man.

I personally tolerated it enough to finish it, but really regretted investing that much time in it. By the end I kind of hated it. Origins, conversely, was absolutely outstanding.
Spot on, the first 60 hours were OK but the last 50 were a slog and only continued so I would finish it and never have to return to it.

DA:O on the other hand was sublime

Regginator

As coincidence would have it, I played through the entire Dragon Age series for the first time last year. I'd rate them 8, 6, and 7.5 respectively, and while I wouldn't call myself the biggest Dragon Age fan, I did overall enjoy my time with them.

Better late than never, but: is there a way for the combat in Inquisition to more resemble the one from Origins? I know Inquisition has a tactical camera mode, but it doesn't really work the same way. For example, when I click on the team portraits, instead of switching the camera perspective to said team remember (like in Origins), you basically only give direct commands without actually seeing the team member or their position.

The characters were mostly dogshit. But I liked the big bad and the greater implications for the setting. (looking like it's entirely abandoned now)

Top Bottom