• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Full translation of the Famitsu article is up. Enjoy!
3AQmK.gif
As always, I really appreciate the effort.

Neiteio

Captain Toad seems like a perfect DLC character to me. Toad really is the last major Mario character I can think of who'd round out the main series. He's definitely separated himself from the species problem people used to bring up before, and since Captain Toad/Toad Amiibos exist you can just integrate those to work with Smash. Could see him being a quick hitter with fast grabs, slightly above average strength, and low aerial viability. Kind of like a Little Mac/Squirtle/Mario cross.
Yep. Captain Toad would also sell and make a lot of people happy, being a Mario-universe character. When you count just the Mario-verse characters with Mario icons, it would bring the total to eight, which is reasonable given that it's goddamn Mario.

Plus, he could have a Toadette alt, and colors referencing the rest of the Toad Brigade. Lots of move-set potential with the mine cart and turnips, the pickaxe, the headlamp, etc. He could have some jumping ability, unlike his source game, but it could be limited.

If Sakurai wanted to get really clever with Captain Toad, he could tie his specials (the pickaxe and other tools) to his backpack, which you could throw down with Down Special, similar to Pac-Man's fire hydrant. While it's on the stage, you're unable to use your specials at their full potential, but you're able to run faster and jump higher. You could retrieve your backpack at any time.

That's the gist of the idea, but of course it would take work to balance and make worthwhile. Just goes to show he could be an interesting character, though. Imagine dashing forward in the mine cart, Wario Bike-style, and flinging turnips as you go. :-3

I'm not sure why you think that the 3DS is holding back Toon Zelda? Also, I'd sooner expect Tetra before Impa. Speaking of Tetra, people always talk about how she'd be a clone of Sheik, but I don't see it. I think she'd be better off as a Toon Link clone. Bombs? Makes sense for Tetra. Spinning sword attack? Same. Bow & arrows? Same. Boomerang? Same. These are all things that a pirate would reasonably use in combat.

Neoxon

I'm not sure why you think that the 3DS is holding back Toon Zelda? Also, I'd sooner expect Tetra before Impa. Speaking of Tetra, people always talk about how she'd be a clone of Sheik, but I don't see it. I think she'd be better off as a Toon Link clone. Bombs? Makes sense for Tetra. Spinning sword attack? Same. Bow & arrows? Same. Boomerang? Same. These are all things that a pirate would reasonably use in combat.
The ability for Toon Zelda to become Tetra, the main thing that can set her apart from TP Zelda. We don't need anymore DLC clones, Roy's enough.

As for Tetra, you're basically suggesting that she should be the clone of a clone.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I might be wrong. I don't think they are going to make newcomers being clones for DLC but returning characters are exception because they already have fan bases.

Ryce

Speaking of Ryu, I have a gut feeling that he's going to use a variation of Little Mac's KO mechanic as a classic SSFII-looking Super Meter, changing his Hadoken into a multi-hit Shinku Hadoken.

Fandangox

Speaking of Ryu, I have a gut feeling that he's going to use a variation of Little Mac's KO mechanic as a classic SSFII-looking Super Meter, changing his Hadoken into a multi-hit Shinku Hadoken.

Taking it further, do you think they'd probably have a meter be used for multiple things? It'd differentiate it from Mac's and would make it closer to how it is used in SF. Like power up a number of moves, as opposed to just one.

Clone DLC is easy though. They could sell it cheaper or include it in bundles.

There really aren't that many characters I can think of to get clones though, unless you really start scraping the barrel for stuff like Dry Bowser.

Although Metal Mario as he was in Smash 64, complete with a unique emblem and everything would be awesome to have. He'd be a small, very heavy, slow character with crazy fall speed, but decent power. Give him his garbled voice from the spin offs, and we're good to go. Metal Box Metal Mario could just be gold or a more lighter white/silver.

NeonZ

If we get a new Zelda rep, it'd probably be Impa.

I don't see Impa being added unless Sakurai uses Hyrule Warriors as reference rather than just the mainline games, not only due to moveset potential, but also her design.

If you stick just to main Zelda, I think Ganon or even other one shot villains/allies would take precedence over her. Then, again, there seems to be surprisingly little push for a new Zelda character in these ballot discussions in spite of the series not getting an unique newcomer since melee.

They'd need to change most of Toon Link's animations to remove the shield. Yes, the B attacks would fit better, but the A moveset would need to be almost completely redone, closer to Wolf, an "inspired by" character, rather than actual asset reusing clones.

I might be wrong. I don't think they are going to make newcomers being clones for DLC but returning characters are exception because they already have fan bases.
Well we know we are already getting one. I think we'll get a couple more. Sakurai knows his fans enough to know that as much as they love their veterans, newcomers will always excite the fans more.

The ability for Toon Zelda to become Tetra, the main thing that can set her apart from TP Zelda. We don't need anymore DLC clones, Roy's enough.

As for Tetra, you're basically suggesting that she should be the clone of a clone.

No, I'm suggesting that ninja stuff doesn't translate to pirate stuff.

I don't see Impa being added unless Sakurai uses Hyrule Warriors as reference rather than just the mainline games, not only due to moveset potential, but also her design.

If you stick just to main Zelda, I think Ganon or even other one shot villains/allies would take precedence over her. Then, again, there seems to be surprisingly little push for a new Zelda character in these ballot discussions in spite of the series not getting an unique newcomer since melee.

They'd need to change most of Toon Link's animations to remove the shield. Yes, the B attacks would fit better, but the A moveset would need to be almost completely redone, closer to Wolf, an "inspired by" character, rather than actual asset reusing clones.

This is true, but Tetra likely never was going to be a clone of anyone. Sheik makes no sense as the base, as Tetra likely wouldn't be kicking and punching as much as she's slashing. As for the ballot, I think it's because there is no one or two characters for people to rally behind, it's all split. You've got Toon Zelda, Tetra, Impa, Tingle, Ganon, Vaati, Midna, Ghirahim, but none of these characters has the pull that K. Rool has.

I wonder if Baby Bowser could be a second Yoshi rep as a small clone of Bowser, like Young Link and Pichu were shrunk down from their base characters.

Just thinking of clone new comers, so far

Baby Bower - Bowser
Metal Mario - Doctor Mario
Daisy - Peach
Riolu - Lucario
Gallade - Lucario
Raichu - Pikachu
Frogadier - Greninja
Iggybuff/Wigglytuff - Jigglypuff
Blaziken - Captain Falcon
Ninten - Ness

So I guess you don't necessarily need to scrape the bottom (Dry Bowser) before you run out of decent clone ideas.

Neiteio

I've been saying this from the start. A Super Meter would make perfect sense for Ryu after what they did with Little Mac.

And while I know Ken and Ryu have different moves, I wonder if they might try to work in a Ken alt. I doubt it, but it'd be cool. Hard to think of Ryu without Ken.

Ryce

Taking it further, do you think they'd probably have a meter be used for multiple things? It'd differentiate it from Mac's and would make it closer to how it is used in SF. Like power up a number of moves, as opposed to just one.
That might overcomplicate things (Smash is still meant to be really simple), and I'm not sure how multiple meter uses would even work since special moves are activated with a single button press. I like the classic SSFII Super Meter idea since each character had one Super Combo in that game and no other uses for the meter, which translates perfectly to Smash Bros.

I wonder if Baby Bowser could be a second Yoshi rep as a small clone of Bowser, like Young Link and Pichu were shrunk down from their base characters.

Just thinking of clone new comers, so far

Baby Bower - Bowser
Metal Mario - Doctor Mario
Daisy - Peach
Riolu - Lucario
Gallade - Lucario
Raichu - Pikachu
Frogadier - Greninja
Iggybuff/Wigglytuff - Jigglypuff
Blaziken - Captain Falcon
Ninten - Ness

So I guess you don't necessarily need to scrape the bottom (Dry Bowser) before you run out of decent clone ideas.

I want them to do the opposite with Baby Bowser. I want them to clone Bowser Jr., make him bigger, and call it "Koopa Clown Car" or something. Basically a giant version of the Koopa Clown Car piloted by Bowser.

As for clone newcomers, I wouldn't mind seeing

Mr. L - Luigi
Daisy - Peach (though I'd be down with seeing her as her own character honestly, gotta have that sports rep)
Koopa Clown Car - Bowser Jr.
Boshi - Yoshi
Pichu - Pikachu
Tetra - Toon Link (semi-clone tho)
Isabelle - VIllager (though I'd still like her to be her own character)

I want them to do the opposite with Baby Bowser. I want them to clone Bowser Jr., make him bigger, and call it "Koopa Clown Car" or something. Basically a giant version of the Koopa Clown Car piloted by Bowser.

There's no chance in hell Baby Bowser is added, but my idea for him would be to give Yoshi another rep while also giving people who want to play as Bowser Jr outside his car a chance to do so (even if it's Baby Bowser, they look identical, minus the handkerchief/bib).

Fandangox

That might overcomplicate things (Smash is still meant to be really simple), and I'm not sure how multiple meter uses would even work since special moves are activated with a single button press. I like the classic SSFII Super Meter idea since each character had one Super Combo in that game and no other uses for the meter, which translates perfectly to Smash Bros.

After meter is filled you could simply hold the other directional B specials for the enhanced side, if Neutral B Hadouken is a charge move without the meter, then that one would probably function like Mac's then.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Thought it was curious that Isaac & Ray weren't included as assist trophies, and I hope that paves the way for them to become playable.

Although, would there be confusion since Isaac is called Robin in Japan?

Fandangox

Thought it was curious that Isaac & Ray weren't included as assist trophies, and I hope that paves the way for them to become playable.

Robin is called Reflet in Japan, so not really. Not like having the same name would really stop them from adding anyone though.

I could see them changing Isaac's name in Japan. Isn't Golden Sun more popular in the states than in Japan?

As for the ATs thing, that'd be nice - those two would be good characters - but I'd be kind of disappointed that it meant that ATs would have so little chance to be playable, which would count out some of my top choices such as Ashley, Isabelle, and Tingle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Cool, looking forward to Babara the Bat and Jill from Drill Dozer.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Imagine the shitstorm if baby clones exist like in Mario Kart.

And I take it the final smash is the Versus Shinkuu Hadouken?

Baby Bowser is a little different. He's the main villain of a series already in Smash, it's not like half the roster is Bowser Jr clones or Mario clones or Peach clones.

Why doesn't the MK DLC get the same complaints the Smash DLC does? I see people complain that Smash DLC is all vets and nothing new and it's so boring, where's the new comers, why are there clones, etc. And yet with Mario Kart half the new racers are animation (except tricks) clones, half the stages are old stages and the cars from each DLC are just clones of the other DLC pack's cars. It's... basically exactly the same thing.

An angry mole scares them more than the devil himself. Kids these days. 9__9

I wouldn't be surprised if the Devil is an assist trophy just so Sakurai could spite NOA for removing the Tamagon trophy, since they can't outright cut an entire assist trophy.

NeonZ

Baby Bowser is a little different. He's the main villain of a series already in Smash, it's not like half the roster is Bowser Jr clones or Mario clones or Peach clones.

Why doesn't the MK DLC get the same complaints the Smash DLC does? I see people complain that Smash DLC is all vets and nothing new and it's so boring, where's the new comers, why are there clones, etc. And yet with Mario Kart half the new racers are animation (except tricks) clones, half the stages are old stages and the cars from each DLC are just clones of the other DLC pack's cars. It's... basically exactly the same thing.

I remember people complaining about the new DLC variations of Mario and Peach. People did want Dry Bowser though. Regarding retro courses, I don't think that's a good comparison since they're basically completely rebuilt and redesigned in Mario Kart 8. It's exactly the opposite of the Smash situation, where they seem fearful to change elements of old characters/stages that are returning, either in the main game or DLC. Still though, the MK DLC being done in packs means people focus less on individual elements they dislike.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Devil is an assist trophy just so Sakurai could spite NOA for removing the Tamagon trophy, since they can't outright cut an entire assist trophy.

More annoying is that it wasn't restored in the PAL version despite Devil World actually releasing here. In fact, it's worse than that, they removed it completely so one couldn't even use a cheat device to unlock it.

I was going to say that I'd like to see a Baby Bros. character someday, but that sounds so redundant to Ice Climbers that I'd fear they would keep IC cut in their place. :p I mean, a tandem character, two characters that look alike, and they all wield hammers.

Pizza

The MK8 roster sucks. The DLC added *really* cool characters, except birdo and diddy's spot being taken by another Mario and peach

the karts being clones is fine, since otherwise they'd have to be worse than the defaults for fear of cries of "pay2win" the minute someone in the blue falcon beats them. The track selection in MK8 ruins smash bros' stage selection by comparison, Smash's stage situation is more laughable every time I think about it. (Its like if they made Mario kart tracks needlessly hard and hazard filled, but offered you a baby park version of each stage)

I really hope MK8 gets at least one more round of character dlc, if there were even just six more really rad racers the game would be perfect. No more babies, no more marios.

Smash just needs a couple packs of new/returning stages that have as much love an polish as MK8's dlc cups

I'd like to see at least one last pair of DLC packs for MK8. Four veterans - King Boo, Birdo, Bowser Jr., and Diddy Kong - and two newcomers. Captain Syrup and Mona please!

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to see Diddy, Bowser Jr. and Birdo return to Mario Kart, but at the same time, I'd also love if Kirby and Pikachu guested in MK8 so Link wouldn't feel so out of place, complete with Dreamland and Saffron City tracks (and also Warp Star "karts).

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
At least Sakurai and the team working on DLC doesn't have to worry about tight release schedules, and they're not doing a full new game, just supplemental content. That article has me VERY excited though. It might mean we could get more fighters than we originally bargained for, and other forms of DLC, including new modes (potentially beyond Tournament, but Tournament alone would be great enough)...

He also seems to be quite happy to be back in on the project, at least he sounded enthusiastic in this article but that could just be lip service for all we know. And yep, he recognized the pre-launch character hype that just now got renewed for post-launch DLC. To be honest it's really half the fun of Smash is the anticipation, discussions, debates, and "leaks" leading up to the game (or in this case, character announcements). That's why I keep coming back to GAF and Smashboards.

Neiteio

Sakurai really is beyond the comprehension of men.

*meanwhile, in Japan*

*Sakurai has just completed his daily ritual of creating a slip-n-slide made of mayonnaise, leading from the foot of Mount Fuji to its summit. He slides all the way down the mountain on his bare chest. Upon skidding into an impoverished village inexplicably out of the Edo period, he stands up, yodels loudly, and then feeds the poor townspeople by letting them lick up the mayo on him. One villager even had the foresight to bring submarine sandwich ingredients. Sakurai smiles warmly at them all, and even helps one young boy with his calculus homework. After impressing the crowd by performing 100 chin-ups, he grabs hold of a rope dropped down from a helicopter. He waves to the cheering villagers as he's carried away into the sky. Once in the clouds, he drops onto the back of a serpentine dragon, and sky-surfs back into the modern era*

*while in transit, Sakurai thinks*

Sakurai: "Today, I think I'll cut Captain Falcon"

Golnei

I'd love to see Diddy, Bowser Jr. and Birdo return to Mario Kart, but at the same time, I'd also love if Kirby and Pikachu guested in MK8 so Link wouldn't feel so out of place, complete with Dreamland and Saffron City tracks (and also Warp Star "karts).

He'd obviously never be considered before Kirby, but King Dedede would fit MK8 perfectly. His proportions wouldn't present as many problems as Kirby or Meta Knight's; and he could be given some amazing expressions. Though if they eventually did consider two Kirby characters, as with Animal Crossing's representation, there's no way Dedede wouldn't be the second - unless they found Shadow Kirby too iconic to not include, of course. Would they still have Sakurai voice him...?

It's a shame it'll never happen - maybe for MK9's DLC.

I'm picturing Checkered Nights or Celestial Valley as a DLC track and it's making me happy.

But... uhh... anyway, I wish they'd announce some kind of DLC news :(
It's a long wait until June.

MagnesD3

My predicts

PrePlanned Dlc

1.Mewtwo
2. Lucas
3. Wolf
4. Ryu
5. Roy
6. Ice Climbers

Ballot Dlc

1. King K Rool
2. Snake
3. Hopefully BK. (The votes are there but will it be enough!! I honestly think he will be 1st place on the polls, him or k Rool.)

Post planned Dlc

1. Inkling
2. Chorus Men
3. Dixie Kong
4. Possibly Takamaru since he has shown interest in him.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
He'd obviously never be considered before Kirby, but King Dedede would fit MK8 perfectly. His proportions wouldn't present as many problems as Kirby or Meta Knight's; and he could be given some amazing expressions. Though if they eventually did consider two Kirby characters, as with Animal Crossing's representation, there's no way Dedede wouldn't be the second - unless they found Shadow Kirby too iconic to not include, of course. Would they still have Sakurai voice him...?

It's a shame it'll never happen - maybe for MK9's DLC.

Only if Dedede has this expression on his face when getting hit with an item:

king-dedede-in-ssb-wii-u-1.jpg

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
My predicts

PrePlanned Dlc

1.Mewtwo
2. Lucas
3. Wolf
4. Ryu
5. Roy
6. Ice Climbers

Ballot Dlc

1. King K Rool
2. Inkling
3. Snake
4. Hopefully BK

Not sure how they will stuff Ice Climbers in unless they do some sort of animation magic making the two look like they are individuals but are actually the same entity code wise, but if they did come back, the hype would be uncontained. Either way I'd be pleased with this prediction. Especially the K Rool part. Even more especially the Banjo & Kazooie part.

MagnesD3

Not sure how they will stuff Ice Climbers in unless they do some sort of animation magic making the two look like they are individuals but are actually the same entity code wise, but if they did come back, the hype would be uncontained. Either way I'd be pleased with this prediction. Especially the K Rool part. Even more especially the Banjo & Kazooie part.

Ic's depend if sakurais team has secretly still been trying to make them work, my gut says that he's been trying to get them to work on the 3ds due to having a lot more free time, especially when it seems like he is using the dlc as a way to give veterans a way to return to their fans. Time was supposedly the only issue to finding a solution.

kirby_fox

Banned
My predicts

I made a decent top 50 expectations myself last night. My top 10:

10. Takamaru
9. Chorus Kids/Marshal
8. Pichu
7. Ice Climbers
6. Ryu
5. King K. Rool
4. Wolf
3. Captain Toad
2. Dixie
1. Roy

K. Rool only in because of poll numbers and the popularity he's been receiving from bigger name people.

Just a thought too- remember early on in amiibo when they were showcasing potential characters? Tom Nook was one of them, and so far has no figure. Nook for Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom