• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

If I could put in a Square Enix character, it would be Black Mage, or Chocobo, or a duo of those two using abilities and "helpers" from classic Square back when it was on Nintendo consoles.

Edit: JUST now remembered Geno.
Wouldn't Geno technically be under the Mario umbrella?

Platy

If I could put in a Square Enix character, it would be Black Mage, or Chocobo, or a duo of those two using abilities and "helpers" from classic Square back when it was on Nintendo consoles.

CVIdFSC.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Not one mention of Dragon Quest in that whole post smh

Ahnez

Wouldn't Geno technically be under the Mario umbrella?

Yes, but no.

He is fully owned by SE, even though he only appears in (two) Mario games.

Its a strange situation, like Sora, who is owned by Disney (while all the other original KH characters are owned by SE)

Neoxon

Yes, but no.

He is fully owned by SE, even though he only appears in (two) Mario games.

Its a strange situation, like Sora, who is owned by Disney (while all the other original KH characters are owned by SE)
I know that, but would he have the Mario symbol if SE let him be in Smash?

Ahnez

I know that, but would he have the Mario symbol if SE let him be in Smash?

Well, I think he would get a unique SE symbol.

Mostly because if anything related to SE but is not related to SMRPG comes with him, those would have no symbol to use :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance, never played any of the Dragon Quest games.
The series is considered one of the first console RPGs and laid the foundations for JRPGs in general, including Final Fantasy. Unfortunately the name doesn't have quite the impact it should have in the West (in America it was known as Dragon Warrior until 2005 and Europe didn't get the series until DQVIII!) but if Smash is a celebration of videogames history (Ryu and the fighting Mii costumes certainly presented it as such) then Dragon Quest certainly should be considered along side Final Fantasy.

And in some ways it's even closer to Nintendo than Final Fantasy having had the last two mainline games (IX and X) made for Nintendo systems and the only two in the whole series that weren't (VII and VIII) have now been ported to 3DS.

Masked Man

I said wow
Obviously the Rhythm Heaven character will be Tebiri, look at that versatility!

As much as I love the Chorus Kids, Tebiri would be pretty damned adorable. I think he might also allow for a moveset that represents the entire franchise, whereas the Chorus Kids only really have their minigame (and perhaps Night Walk). That said, feel free to prove me wrong, Sakurai!

Reminder that Chorus Kids could have been amazing
tumblr_n78gwhNcPZ1svh46io4_540.jpg

THEY ARE TOO CUTE.

Guy: "You wanna play ping-pong? I dunno... I don't think you're cut out for it. (You're a little short...)"
Chorus Kids: *snip snip*
Caption: That still didn't solve the problem.

So... Bomberman is far and away my most wanted character and I actually don't have a second most wanted. Yeah I'd like Paper Mario and Waluigi but I'm not too fussed. But.. this week I started playing Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush and HOLY GOD. HOLY MOTHER GOD.

We need a DLC pack from this game. The charm. The levels. The music.

What we need:

Waddle Dee as the playable character. A very unique spear based moveset. Unique jumping ability (he can still jump after a few jumps but they get lower rather than higher) and nicely gives the Kirby series 4 characters.

A Rainbow Paintbrush stage. There is so much potential. They could go with anything from the game. Maybe even rainbow lines being drawn that you can dash faster on like in the multiplayer. Maybe the clouds in the sky level that disappear when you jump on them.

Music. 7 songs from the game. 5 brand new songs and 2 remixes from the older game is what I need.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGcmmtnpM0

Just listen to the whole thing.

This is now my most wanted thing after Bomberman. Can anyone have played this game and not want this?!

bqeg1yv.jpg

tn1nGMP.jpg

Masked Man

I said wow
A Rainbow Paintbrush stage. There is so much potential. They could go with anything from the game. Maybe even rainbow lines being drawn that you can dash faster on like in the multiplayer. Maybe the clouds in the sky level that disappear when you jump on them.

Music. 7 songs from the game. 5 brand new songs and 2 remixes from the older game is what I need.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGcmmtnpM0

Just listen to the whole thing.

My buddy Sakai-san is in top form! My favorite track from the game as well. :D

Square and Nintendo actually seem to have a decent relationship, so it's not out of the question to have a Square Rep. They've made a handful of games together recently and Nintendo still pretty much gets the bulk of Dragon Quest.

Honestly, I think Geno would be a good pick for a SE rep. He could have his own series icon and rep Square entirely, rather than being more Mario based.

Other than that, it'd probably be a Dragon Quest character or monster of some kind. Or maybe even old school Final Fantasy.

Zubz

Banned
Square and Nintendo actually seem to have a decent relationship, so it's not out of the question to have a Square Rep. They've made a handful of games together recently and Nintendo still pretty much gets the bulk of Dragon Quest.

Honestly, I think Geno would be a good pick for a SE rep. He could have his own series icon and rep Square entirely, rather than being more Mario based.

Other than that, it'd probably be a Dragon Quest character or monster of some kind. Or maybe even old school Final Fantasy.

I'd love to see a Square rep! Personally, I'd love to see Marina Liteyears or Neku from TWEWY (Lara Croft or Gex would be nice, too, but they're not as relevant to Nintendo, and not as interesting, IMO), but between that being the core part of their relationship with Nintendo and the fact that they picked generic NES FF classes to be in the Mario Basketball Games, I'd either see a Black/White Mage, a Moogle, or a Slime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gex? Even in the year 2115 when Nintendo is really struggling to think of new characters to add to their roster of 7000 I don't think Gex has a chance.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'd love to see a Square rep! Personally, I'd love to see Marina Liteyears or Neku from TWEWY (Lara Croft or Gex would be nice, too, but they're not as relevant to Nintendo, and not as interesting, IMO), but between that being the core part of their relationship with Nintendo and the fact that they picked generic NES FF classes to be in the Mario Basketball Games, I'd either see a Black/White Mage, a Moogle, or a Slime.

I'd want Slime. It could rep the whole DQ series well while still having its own game to pull moves from (the Rocket Slime spin-offs). Plus I'm honestly a huge fan of the Rocket Slime spin-offs and would love to see them get repped.

Pizza

I'd want Slime. It could rep the whole DQ series well while still having its own game to pull moves from (the Rocket Slime spin-offs). Plus I'm honestly a huge fan of the Rocket Slime spin-offs and would love to see them get repped.

I'd love to see *anyone* from dragon quest tbh!

I'd die if we got Terry with a slime that acted like a midpoint between rosalina and olimar! :3

latest

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Could anyone explain me why Mewtwo is right before Pikachu in Smash Bros 3DS' All-Star mode?

I thought it would be like this, Pikachu > Charizard > Jigglypuff > Mewtwo.

How so? I don't see any optimism about it other than repeat the information that we already know.
This isn't quite what was said
Sakurai also stated that one can expect to see several more characters added to the game as DLC until the team that works on the game can no longer be kept together.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/2...dded-to-super-smash-bros/#BEWKKlbkffwryFq5.99
The actual text said
but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters

The tone is different. In the first, it's saying they'll just keep making characters until the team disbands. On the second, proper, translation, he's actually saying they can't really make characters forever, so only expect a few more.

Zubz

Banned
Could anyone explain me why Mewtwo is right before Pikachu in Smash Bros 3DS' All-Star mode?

I thought it would be like this, Pikachu > Charizard > Jigglypuff > Mewtwo.

They're all from the same game, during the same fight, so I guess order never really mattered to them there.

I think I figured out how All-Star could work as DLC causes the mode to become a marathon, by the way: Keep each character organized in chronological order, give each character a "home stage" like in Melee, remove characters until there're only 50 of them, and then divide those 50 characters between 7 fights (6 fights with 7 opponents, with 8 for the last) while keeping them in chronological order. Each fight will take place on one of the 7-8 characters' home stage. For people that don't have any DLC, maybe they can update it so that 3 default Mii Fighters are added to the rotation, too?

Not for Smash 4, but for Smash 5, if the roster is like 65 fighters, I could see All Star being set up more like 100 man Smash, rather than a stage system.

Only on Battlefield, enemies spawn in chronological order, have higher knockback (scales with difficulty), and it's more of an endurance thing. 50% through a Max Tomato spawns or something.

Better yet, make it like one of those Melee "All-Star" event matches where you fight however many foes per stage, then the stage just fades to the next one. No tedious rest stage or anything except a healing item maybe between rounds.

NeonZ

Haven't they decreased the stamina of the opponents in All Star? I just got the speedrun challenge with Jigglypuff a few days ago, and it seemed like I could ko almost any character with two smash attacks.

The knockback and AI scales with the number of characters in the round.

DLC actually made hard All Star way easier because the round with Lucas and Roy the CPUs are set to like level 3 and die in two Smash attacks. Ryu, bless his soul, made a round that was annoying with projectiles everywhere into something more manageable because he breaks up the onslaught of projectiles between Link, Zelda, Samus, ROB and Duck Hunt. Holy god that round is annoying, Ryu at least makes their AI go down and they die way faster.

It made 2002-2006 have idiotic AI, no matter the setting. It's almost funny. I was in Hard and Alph just stood and stared at me while I charged a Roy netural B into his face. And this was Hard mode lol.

Sadly this means the last round is tough as nails because it has the least amount of fighters in it and they're all spammy garbage characters, two of which have OHKOs and know how to use them (Game and Watch spams Judge like nobody's business and Little Mac can get scary with KO Punch). Thank GOD for the ceiling on Luigi's Mansion. Got KO Punched and hit the ceiling with hilarious force, and I teched on the way down and ended up saving the run. We need an ancient arcade hero to come and make the last stage better.

Yep. Scrap the K.Rool plans and give us Donkey Kong Jr.

tbh, I think Jr is the best rep for the Donkey Kong series, because the classic arcade games are only repped by two items and the worst level in the entire series.

DKC has more than enough representation in Smash, compared to Arcade DK.

I think 75m and those stupid spring items are enough reason to not want anything more from the arcade DKs.

Also Ryu shows up between Pit and Palutena and Megaman, not Link and Zelda IIRC

Zubz

Banned
tbh, I think Jr is the best rep for the Donkey Kong series, because the classic arcade games are only repped by two items and the worst level in the entire series.

DKC has more than enough representation in Smash, compared to Arcade DK.

I think it's about what people want to see, though. Even if DK Jr.'s the best rep for Arcade DK, I don't think anyone's clamoring for another rep from that era, barring maybe a stage. It may be iconic, but there's not much they can do with it. Character-wise, there were only 5 people in that trilogy, and only Mario and DK did anything of merit while managing to remain popular to this day. DK Jr. could work as a retro rep, but people aren't chomping at the bits for his return. With DKC, however, people really want to see K. Rool. If it's what the people want, then I say it's the best fit.

I just generally feel series in Smash are best represented when the widest scope of their history is repped in characters.

Fire Emblem, for example, is excellent for this.

I just generally feel series in Smash are best represented when the widest scope of their history is repped in characters.

Fire Emblem, for example, is excellent for this.

A stage and an item isn't enough? Not every game needs a character "rep". Characters should get in based on their own merits, and Donkey Kong Jr. has the following:

A stage and an item isn't enough? Not every game needs a character "rep". Characters should get in based on their own merits, and Donkey Kong Jr. has the following:

- Direct sequel to the game that created DK and Mario, and the only game ever where Mario is a villain
- Inspiration for Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong's side kick before Rare took over
- Has appeared in Mario spin offs before Diddy Kong started appearing everywhere, including a trophy in Melee
- Has appeared in a lot of games before Rare took over and even a few afterwards like Game and Watch Gallery.

DK Jr is one of those characters I feel is right up Sakurai's alley. He's just retro and obscure enough without being completely unknown.

Counting Spin Offs (for both characters), he actually has roughly the same number of games K Rool has, if not slightly more.

Kouichi

Damn I've been wanting DK.Jr since I was ten and mistakenly thought a screenshot of his trophy in Melee confirmed he was playable. Count me in as supporter!

I've never thought of him representing the classic DK games. That's a pretty neat idea. I used to be addicted to this little relic from the past

$_35.JPG

Damn I've been wanting DK.Jr since I was ten and mistakenly thought a screenshot of his trophy in Melee confirmed he was playable. Count me in as supporter!

I've never thought of him representing the classic DK games. That's a pretty neat idea. I used to be addicted to this little relic from the past

$_35.JPG

This box is using Smash 64 art lol

jph139

Honestly I'd love DK Jr. Even as a quick-and-dirty clone of regular DK. He's definitely in the "semi-obscure but still a real classic" realm that Sakurai seems to love playing with.

Thank god DKJr doesn't get votes and Sakurai counts DK as a partial arcade rep or else we might actually get him 0.0 The arcade games are timeless and all but also kind of distant from the richer DKC universe that should get more content.

Pizza

I've wanted DK Jr in *anything* since the Mario Kart and Tennis series have been snubbing him for YEARS. I chose the worst guy to main in those games.

I'd be all for dk Jr being in smash. Him and K. Rool would be a great way to round out the DK crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom