• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
DK Jungle Climber is coming to the eShop!

http://nintendoeverything.com/upcoming-japanese-eshop-releases-7815/

All of the games where K. Rool is the villain have now been added since this March.

giphy.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Damn I've been wanting DK.Jr since I was ten and mistakenly thought a screenshot of his trophy in Melee confirmed he was playable. Count me in as supporter!

I've never thought of him representing the classic DK games. That's a pretty neat idea. I used to be addicted to this little relic from the past

$_35.JPG

I found it hilarious that package had Smash 64's Donkey Kong artwork.

Edited: Whoops! I didn't realized that we got a new page! Sorry!

I just noticed this from Palutena on Pikachu
Palutena: It's quite rare for a Pokémon to be more famous in its middle stage than its final evolution.
3mpXnM3.png

Also if Pichu got in, it would make Palutena look like an idiot, since she knows who Pichu is in Pikachu's discussion. Palutena's Guidance gets kind of silly with DLC (like Pit forgetting who Lucas is).

Pizza

Is there anything stopping them from selling us every Smash 64 stage? I mean by August SSB Wii U will have 4/9.

Sakurai was translated saying "i dont think we can add too many more stages... but we're planning a couple more from the original Super Smash Brothers game"

Then he previewed Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle from 64. /shrug.

Take that as you will, I guess. I think characters are more "hype worthy" at this point, but I hope there's a big stage blowout sometime.

Most of the old stages have their music already on other stages. I am on mobile now but I would look and see what stages are still unaccounted for in this respect if I weren't.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed this from Palutena on Pikachu

3mpXnM3.png

Also if Pichu got in, it would make Palutena look like an idiot, since she knows who Pichu is in Pikachu's discussion. Palutena's Guidance gets kind of silly with DLC (like Pit forgetting who Lucas is).

In regards to Pikachu, Pikachu became famous largely because of the anime which started before Gen 2 was even out, and before Pichu even existed. Neither Pichu or Raichu could usurp Pikachu even if they are part of the same family line (and it's not like any of them level up normally just through Levels, Pichu requires special friendship or something to evolve into Pikachu, and Raichu requires a Thunder Stone, and of these three only Pikachu is really only found in the wild.)

But it would be pretty funny if they acknowledge Pichu's existence when talking Pikachu, then if Pichu actually does get in and they have no idea what that thing is, so they might not know what a Pichu actually is even if they saw one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Do any of you guys just do troll For Glory sessions against randos?

No, why?

Sakurai was translated saying "i dont think we can add too many more stages... but we're planning a couple more from the original Super Smash Brothers game"

Then he previewed Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle from 64. /shrug.

Take that as you will, I guess. I think characters are more "hype worthy" at this point, but I hope there's a big stage blowout sometime.

Well, I would like to get few more stages from Melee and Brawl but I wouldn't be disappointed if they just stopped right there with those two 64 stages.

Pizza

Well, I would like to get few more stages from Melee and Brawl but I wouldn't be disappointed if they just stopped right there with those two 64 stages.

I'll be somewhat bummed if we only get two more N64 stages and a bunch of rad characters. Stage pairity would make me so damn happy.

Not that I'll lose sleep over it or anything, I'll be happy with whatever we wind up getting!

Go ahead and bring back all the Brawl stages, I say. Even the stinkers.

Oh, and also Fountain of Dreams, Pokémon Stadium 1, Venom, Brinstar Depths, Poke Floats...

Let's just do all the Melee stages too.

Richie

Much as I like 64's Peach Castle, I'd have preferred Sector Z.
For the first time in the franchise, the Wii U version lacks a stage where you're fighting atop the Great Fox.
The brief moments in the new Starfox stage do not count.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thank god DKJr doesn't get votes and Sakurai counts DK as a partial arcade rep or else we might actually get him 0.0 The arcade games are timeless and all but also kind of distant from the richer DKC universe that should get more content.
Doesn't get votes? Have you viewed all the results? This is a thread about a ballot where all those in favour of him can easily vote for him if we already haven't.

Most of the old stages have their music already on other stages. I am on mobile now but I would look and see what stages are still unaccounted for in this respect if I weren't.
I only counted actual stage songs, not events or boss fights. I included rips from other games though.

-Brinstar
-Sector Z
-Super Mario Bros

Melee

-Battlefield
-Balloon Trip
-Saria's Song
-Fourside
-Super Mario Bros
-Super Mario Bros 2
-Jungle Japes

Brawl

-Main Theme (Vocal Version)
-Main Theme (Melee, Brawl Version)
-Ground Theme 2 (Super Mario Bros.)
-Underground Theme (Super Mario Bros.)
-Gritzy Desert
-The Map Page / Bonus Level
-DK Jungle 1 Theme (Barrel Blast)
-Termina Field
-The Great Sea (Original version)
-Molgera Battle
-Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)
-Checker Knights
-Forest / Nature Area (Original version)
-Wild Pokemon Battle! (Diamond / Pearl) (Brawl version)
-Humoresque of a Little Dog
-You Call This a Utopia?!
-Mike's Song (Japanese and English)
-Mona Pizza's Song (Japanese and English)
-Ai no Uta (Japanese and French)
-Tane no Uta
-Balloon Trip (Brawl version)
-Power-Up Music (Wrecking Crew)
-Douchuumen (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
-Mii Channel
-Wii Shop Channel
-Charge! (Wii Play)
-Shaberu! DS Cooking Navi
-Everything from Metal Gear
-Scrap Brain Zone
-Emerald Hill Zone
-Sonic Boom
-Super Sonic Racing

3DS (new songs added not on Wii U)

-Green Greens (Original)
-Castle Lololo (Original)
-Float Islands (Original)
-Bubble Clouds (Original)
-Mt Dedede (Original)
-Dark Pit (Mission Version)
-Reset Bomb (Mission Version)
-Lumiose City (Original)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The removal of Sonic R songs while keeping Seven Rings in Hand is the biggest sin of Smash 4/5.

Zubz

Banned
The removal of Sonic R songs while keeping Seven Rings in Hand is the biggest sin of Smash 4/5.

I knew we elected you King for a reason.

this is sakurai's true crime

Pack it in, folks: When Splatoon gets into Smash, they're not
doing the Final Boss theme because of its Squiddish vocals
!

Seriously, though, this is a man who hears "Snake Eater" and is like "Yeah, but could we have the Instrumental version?" (Well, it might've been for copyright reasons, seeing how "Calling to the Night" still has lyrics, but if not...) Who even thinks that?

On a plus side to this list? The only 3DS songs missing are the GB Kirby songs, the 2nd rips of 2 Uprising songs, and Lumiose City. The latter 2 categories are justified in being missing, , but Lumiose could totally be a song on Saffron City! Incidentally, Smash 64's Brinstar remix and Melee's Fourside remix are my favorite remix from each of those games (I like the Master Hand/Metal Mario themes in 64 more, though); I'm really hoping they can find a way to work those songs in somehow, too.

Underground (1-2) from Brawl is also on the 3DS only. I put it in the Brawl list, as it was technically a Brawl song. I'm not really sure why they didn't just chuck it onto Luigi's Mansion.

I'm not sure why they didn't make a Kirby Retro Medley and stuck it on Great Cave Offensive. Every other music that changes depending on the stage was turned into a proper medley, except the Kirby Retro songs for some reason.

Zubz

Banned
I wish Hawlucha was in Smash and this would be one of his victory poses

8a3.gif

Honestly, I'd trade Greninja for Hawlucha. If Smash 4 was developed a bit later, meaning that XY wasn't a "Make the character before launch or don't make a Gen 6 character at all" situation, I feel that we totally would've gotten Hawlucha instead, seeing how, design-wise, I think it's the most popular Pokemon from this Gen. But oh well; looks like it's time has passed.

I was trying to remember if there was more than just Falco. lol I forgot Dedede was a bird for a bit there. Samus has bird DNA though, maybe she counts too (twice).

Less so Hawlucha is a bird and more he's a Fighting Type, of which we already have one, and it happens to be the most iconic of fighting types.

Zubz

Banned
I was trying to remember if there was more than just Falco. lol I forgot Dedede was a bird for a bit there. Samus has bird DNA though, maybe she counts too (twice).

Less so Hawlucha is a bird and more he's a Fighting Type, of which we already have one, and it happens to be the most iconic of fighting types.

We already have had 2 Electric and 2 Water types, though. Plus, a Fighting type in a fighting game just makes sense, in my opinion, and our currently-only "Flying" type character has some of the worst recovery in the game.

Azure J

the only true choice for squeenix character is SORA

SORA 4 SMASH

That'd be the trojan horse for Disney in Smash moreso than SE in Smash. My bets are on Black Mage or Chrono personally from the Square side and a DQ hero or Slime from the Enix side. Capcom got two, I don't see how SE wouldn't especially given their old history with Nintendo. :p

That'd be the trojan horse for Disney in Smash moreso than SE in Smash. My bets are on Black Mage or Chrono personally from the Square side and a DQ hero or Slime from the Enix side. Capcom got two, I don't see how SE wouldn't especially given their old history with Nintendo. :p

It wouldn't even be a trojan. Sora is a Disney character, not a SE character.

Azure J

It wouldn't even be a trojan. Sora is a Disney character, not a SE character.

I'd be so cool with this just because endgame Smash looks like:

Sonic
Megaman
Ryu
Pac-Man
Chrono/Black Mage
DQ Hero/Slime
Sora

With each of them bringing flavors from their respective company in as additional materials. It would truly be a celebration of both Nintendo and Japanese game development as a whole (with a bonus of finally getting the good Disney games some exposure).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Honestly, I'd trade Greninja for Hawlucha. If Smash 4 was developed a bit later, meaning that XY wasn't a "Make the character before launch or don't make a Gen 6 character at all" situation, I feel that we totally would've gotten Hawlucha instead, seeing how, design-wise, I think it's the most popular Pokemon from this Gen. But oh well; looks like it's time has passed.
Greninja is the most popular starter since Blaziken bruh, whatcha talking about?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm open to any third party characters but if they are going to add Snake to the roster and they are done for good with third-party characters. I would be completely okay with it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Starter-wise, yes, but I always thought Hawlucha was more popular overall. Maybe that's just in my friend groups/my bias towards the 2nd best Pokemon.
I remember GameFreak releasing statistics a while ago about the most used Pokémon in Amie. It was Greninja.

NeonZ

Oh really? They really got lucky with Greninja, and predict that he would be one of most popular pokemon of their generation.

He was the only XY gen starter design with a third form designed to be cool, while the other two were kind of goofy or just plain weird. I think they knew very well what that would mean.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Crosspost from other thread

Here is Sakurai's Smash for 3DS/Wii U PowerPoint proposal in English!
Granted, it's only a selection of the slides (since Sakurai refuses to reveal everything), but interesting nonetheless. :)

FINALLY!

Edited: I WAS SOOOO CLOSE WITH MY GUESS ON WHEN SAKURAI FINISHED WITH HIS BRAINSTORMING PHASE! Here is my summary that I worked on long time ago.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Development Schedules

• After E3 2005 (May 2005), Iwata asked Sakurai to be Director of Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Character Roster and Design document were finalized on July 7, 2005.
  • Development of Super Smash Bros. Brawl began somewhen during Oct 2005
  • First Super Smash Bros Brawl Trailer was revealed during E3 After Hours Press Conference on May 10, 2006.
  • Second Super Smash Bros Brawl Trailer was revealed at Nintendo World, which announced Fox as playable character
  • Super Smash Bros Dojo was launched on May 27, 2007
  • Sonic and Delay were announced on Oct 10, 2007
  • Brawl went gold in December 2007
  • Release Date - Japan: Jan 31, 2008 and NA: March 9, 2008
  • Super Smash Bros Dojo ended on April 14, 2008

Informations:

• Nintendo opened a new office in Tokyo just for Super Smash Bros Brawl production.
  • New office aka Sora, LTD was established in order to Sakurai to be freelancer. Sora, LTD only have two members, which is Sakurai and his assistant.
  • Nintendo and Sakurai enlisted several companies to helping them out with Super Smash Bros Brawl Development. Those following companies and members that joined the team to assist Sakurai; Game Arts, Monolith Soft, Paon, and several smash veteran staff members.
  • Game Arts is the main team for preliminary development stage
  • Hal Laboratory gave the teams all accesses to original materials and tools from the development of Super Smash Bros Melee.
  • About 100 members worked on the project full time.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS Development Schedule

• Iwata announced Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS during Nintendo E3 2011 conference in order to attract new team members
  • During Feb 2012, Sakurai tweeted that, during his brainstorming, he had been looking over Super Smash Bros Dojo, and reflecting on the past game's development.
  • E3 2012 Nintendo Direct confirmed joint-project between Sora, LTD and Namco Bandai
  • During June 2012, Sakurai reported that the game's development was in its first steps.
  • During June 2012, They announced that Sakurai and Namco Bandai already completed a working prototype.
  • During Aug 2012, Sakurai stated that game system had been completed.
  • E3 2013 Nintendo Direct release a first trailer of Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U, which confirmed 9 veteran characters and 3 newcomers; Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Pit, Fox, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man.
  • Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS website went up on June 13, 2013
  • Daily Image started on June 13, 2013.
  • Smash Direct were shown on April 8/9.

Informations
  • Yoshito Higuchi and Keiki Kobayashi are team leaders for Development teams.
  • Majority of development happened at Bandai Namco Studio which is located in Mirai-Kenkyusho, Toyko, Japan.
  • Sakurai expressed his interests that he intended to bring back old Nintendo characters for the games.
  • Feeling that the series had found its target audience and introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand, Sakurai explained that he was thinking of ways to introduce a new, different experience, while retaining the frantic gameplay from previous installments.
  • Tripping were removed from the game, and gameplay would be between Melee and Brawl

My takes on Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Schedule
  • Sakurai probably started on brainstorming phase in Jan 2012, and finalized his roster plan and design document in March 2012.
  • Namco Bandai and Sora, LTD probably started working on the games somwhen during April or May 2012, which would explain that they have completed prototype in their hands during June 2012.

Eh, he was the only XY gen starter design with a third form designed to be cool, while the other two were kind of goofy or just plain weird. I think they knew very well what that would mean.

Yes, you're right but they could potentially went with any pokemon, other than starter pokemon. Like Lucario, Jiggylpuff, and Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom