• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

He said "several characters have been planned", which means that... several characters have been planned. However, the ballot doesn't end until October, which suggest to me that they have planned to release 2-3 characters before the ballot ends.
I'd personally go with 2 characters planned if we're gonna get more characters in August (with the Tourney Mode update). That's probably the last possible chance for an update before the ballot ends unless Sakurai blindsides us with a September update.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm seeing Kyary a lot in (Japanese) Nintendo commercials (she was in the New 3DS commercial for instance). Here's her latest. Maybe she should be in Smash.

JOORCVq.gif

Kouichi

He said "several characters have been planned", which means that... several characters have been planned. However, the ballot doesn't end until October, which suggest to me that they have planned to release 2-3 characters before the ballot ends.

He could mean that they already know the number of characters they plan to make based off the ballot results. Also, the translation never specifically says "planned", just that there will be several more characters.

It's hard to say how things will go at this point.

They could "plan" to release more characters after, most likely indicative of sales. There's not a chance in hell they're anywhere near beginning Smash Bros NX (Or whatever) yet, so there's no reason why they wouldn't continue if the money's good enough.

Would seeing an Ice Climbers trailer make anyone tear up a little?

I guess I've given up hope entirely on them coming back and seeing them again would be a pretty big deal and a huge shock.

It would be pretty obvious when their trailer started since it would be Ice Climbers music playing, but still.

They would probably come with some kind of stage as well. Probably an 8-bit summit or something that works on the 3DS and since their music was already spread around.

Actually Ice Climbers would be kind of awkward to add since it'd require old trophies to be re-categorized for a new series (Polar Bear and Ice Climbers) which hasn't had to happen yet as the one new series we got didn't have old trophies (obviously) and they've never made changes to old trophies, although adding the eggplant icon to the trophies even for people without the DLC would probably be fine.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think Sakurai is being vague about his quotes on purpose. He could have something in his sleeves for us. Yeah, I think we are focusing on his quotes too hard so I think we should let it go and see what would happens in the future.

Kouichi

I've been thinking. What if Cloud Strife gets the most votes in the ballot? I don't expect it, but it's not a unrealistic possibility given his worldwide popularity. Cloud is one of those characters that is secretly highly requested but nobody is vocal about it because we all know it's nigh impossible. However, the ballot changes that possibility. Does anyone think he could actually get into Smash if that happened?

I'm not asking whether anyone thinks he'd deserve it or if it's a good idea btw. Just want to know if anyone thinks it could happen. Snake has already shown precedent for huge third party characters with basically no significant connection to Nintendo. I could see it happen. I bet Sakurai would be totally down for putting Cloud in Smash.

RomanceDawn

I think Sakurai is being vague about his quotes on purpose. He could have something in his sleeves for us. Yeah, I think we are focusing on his quotes too hard so I think we should let it go and see what would happens in the future.

This is true. He's always vague or gives low balled statements so that just incase things go south people don't set their expectations too high.

He says several which in english means more than two but not many. Who knows what the actual Japanese means specifically, maybe it has the exact same meaning. What ever the case is, this game released in Nov of last year and full on work will continue well into half of 2016. I'm calling it now, we are getting 5 more characters.

Dixie, K Rool, Wolf and the Chorus Men/Kids will be among the 5. Though Wolf, Dixie and the Rhythm kids will be acknowledged as top characters in the ballot they would have been chosen regardless because they were planned before the 3DS version was even released.

20 years from now Sakurai will give an interview detailing exactly my thoughts here. By then though no one will care or feel betrayed either way.

Mark this post.

It's interesting I did completely forget about Cloud. That said, a fast wiki walk suggests that his Nintendo appearances are pretty much bound to Kingdom Hearts... I understand this is not the point of question about Cloud, but I don't see it happening in this situation.

Neoxon

This is true. He's always vague or gives low balled statements so that just incase things go south people don't set their expectations too high.

He says several which in english means more than two but not many. Who knows what the actual Japanese means specifically, maybe it has the exact same meaning. What ever the case is, this game released in Nov of last year and full on work will continue well into half of 2016. I'm calling it now, we are getting 5 more characters.

Dixie, K Rool, Wolf and the Chorus Men/Kids will be among the 5. Though Wolf, Dixie and the Rhythm kids will be acknowledged as top characters in the ballot they would have been chosen regardless because they were planned before the 3DS version was even released.

20 years from now Sakurai will give an interview detailing exactly my thoughts here. By then though no one will care or feel betrayed either way.

Mark this post.
Bookmarked

Kouichi

It's interesting I did completely forget about Cloud. That said, a fast wiki walk suggests that his Nintendo appearances are pretty much bound to Kingdom Hearts... I understand this is not the point of question about Cloud, but I don't see it happening in this situation.

Yeah his basically zero connection to Nintendo is what made him near impossible in the first place. But as long as he has one appearance, he's legitimate and the ballot gives him a chance. The FFVII remake announcement reminded me of his large popularity and significance as a video game character. It'd be like Snake cept it's the fanbase requesting instead of Kojima. Speaking of which, I bet Sakurai and Nomura know each other well.

Just a thought. I don't think it will be Cloud, but I feel pretty confident that a third party video game character will get the most votes.

The question of most importance then is how could Cloud work then, which as a not-RPG person, I'm not an expert in, but the little I know does get me interested in something. Limit Breaks sound more or less like Little Mac's gauge. Do you think devs would refrain from implementing them this way so Little Mac remains unique... or not? This extends to similar properties of other characters by the way, Shulk's modes, Olimar's minions... you know the drill.

I don't know if Sakurai is disingenuous enough to pretend the Chorus Kids were ballot characters or "fan-service." The only reason they would service some fans is because of a year-old leak only a small amount of fans even know about.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know if Sakurai is disingenuous enough to pretend the Chorus Kids were ballot characters or "fan-service." The only reason they would service some fans is because of a year-old leak only a small amount of fans even know about.
Yes, Rhythm Heaven has no fans outside of those who wanted a leak to be true.

This is about the Chorus Kids not the series. Where were the requests for them before Gematsu made them notorious? Even now I see more talk about the Wrestler and the Reporter instead of the Kids.

Kind of like Dixie it seems like a lot of people just can't let go of their expectations for the main game, and want eleventh hour vindication for calling both shoo-ins for so long.

Neoxon

Rhythm Heaven is the biggest Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Smash (don't believe me, go check). It's huge in Japan & has cult status in the West.

The Chorus Kids themselves started out in the DS game & went on to have a bigger role in the 3DS game then they have in the past. They also had a cameo in the Wii game, Rhythm Heaven Fever.

Rhythm Heaven is the biggest Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Smash (don't believe me, go check). It's huge in Japan & has cult status in the West.

The Chorus Kids themselves started out in the DS game & went on to have a bigger role in the 3DS game then they have in the past. They also had a cameo in the Wii game, Rhythm Heaven Fever.

I think he was being sarcastic to make it sound like I was saying something I wasn't :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

What.

This is about the Chorus Kids not the series. Where were the requests for them before Gematsu made them notorious? Even now I see more talk about the Wrestler and the Reporter instead of the Kids.

Kind of like Dixie it seems like a lot of people just can't let go of their expectations for the main game, and want eleventh hour vindication for calling both shoo-ins for so long.
Perhaps the leak popularised the idea of the CK but it's quite clear that there are those who wanted a RH rep and liked the idea of the CK as the rep and will vote for them. It's unfair to say people will only vote for them to make a leak we all know fell apart with Shulk's trailer a reality. Personally I've always pushed for Karate Joe because I feel he's overall the main rep of the series but I can't ignore the debates that were had all those months ago and the ideas people had for them and why they are appropriate reps.

I wouldn't say Dixie is a left field choice. She's pretty much the third main character of the DKC series. Leak or no leak, people would vote for her.

Neoxon

What.

Perhaps the leak popularised the idea of the CK but it's quite clear that there are those who wanted a RH rep and liked the idea of the CK as the rep and will vote for them. It's unfair to say people will only vote for them to make a leak we all know fell apart with Shulk's trailer a reality. Personally I've always pushed for Karate Joe because I feel he's overall the main rep of the series but I can't ignore the debates that were had all those months ago and the ideas people had for them and why they are appropriate reps.

I wouldn't say Dixie is a left field choice. She's pretty much the third main character of the DKC series. Leak or no leak, people would vote for her.
Karate Joe, while he has been the most recurring figure in the Rhythm Heaven series, is a bit limited on what he could do. The Chorus Kids are mostly a clean slate to where you could represent the Rhythm Heaven franchise as a whole.

And yes, I wasn't joking about Rhythm Heaven being the biggest Nintendo franchise without a playable rep in Smash. Go verify it if you don't believe me.

What.

Don't get me wrong, I know people like the characters for other reasons (Dixie is pretty cool and even though I'm not a RH fan, the music is great), it's just that I haven't seen support for either on the level where it would make sense to say they're from the ballot. If they showed up, Sakurai would probably say that he tried to put them in the main game, and is fortunate to have the chance to revisit them as DLC.

Obviously the Rhythm Heaven character will be Tebiri, look at that versatility!

Best+ really pushes Karate Joe as being the bridge throughout the series, and adds Tebiri as a central character to the story (much more important than the drum guy in GBA and Marshal in Wii), so at this point I'm beginning to think they may be more likely than Chorus Kids. At this point I'd really just take whatever, lol. Pretty sure nothing more is coming for RH until next game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Mark this post.

I'm surprised that you didn't went for 6 characters since they could add one more column of 4 characters. :p

RomanceDawn

I'm surprised that you didn't went for 6 characters since they could add one more column of 4 characters. :p

You know what, you're probably on to something. Maybe it will be 6 new characters.

I feel like I had a really good handle on the prediction process during this games ongoing development. The biggest things I was wrong about were Ice Climbers and Ridley and the ONLY character I really didn't see coming was Rosalina and then well Ryu.

My brother is so much better than me at Smash it isn't funny. My only wins were predicting very right what he kept predicting so wrong. I notice he takes quick and popular opinions and pass them off as his own. Bugs the heck out of me.

I remember him telling me "everyone knows the pattern is Marth and then the new Fire Emblem character." 2 games a pattern does not make. I'd always tell him there is a very good chance Ike comes back because he was so unique and there is a very good chance Roy could come back as well with Chrom or maybe Robin. My reasoning was that he was intended for Brawl and maybe have been planned to be Luigified clone like Falco. For months he'd be like "4 Fire Emblem characters? Just stop." Do you know how good it feels to have Ike and Roy in a group of 5 Fire Emblem reps when I don't even play a single one of them?

Then the Pokemon! Lucario was revealed and he swore up and down that was it for Mewtwo. Every time we talked I told him it doesn't mean anything and he'd always talk about 4 or 5 reps only and Jiggs wasn't getting cut. Oh god! When the final roster leaked and there was no Mewtwo he said "I told you so" I told him I guarantee you he will be DLC. He'd always say but there are no plans for DLC. I'd laugh and tell him that there is DLC coming. It's been Nintendo's way for every game known to man and at least 3 known to monkeys. There will be DLC and Mewtwo will be one of the first to be shown. He is just too popular and if not for Sonic I bet he would have been in Brawl. We watched the Direct together and while we did celebrate his return I couldn't help but rub it in.

Same type of discussions went for Jr, Sonic, Lucas, Shulk, Dr Mario, Duck Hunt, Falco, Pac Man and Little Mac. Come to think of it, my brother is a super pessimist, 7 years younger than me too, you'd think he'd have some hope for a game he loves so dear. All those characters he predicted would not make it in the game, who did he predict would make it in? All I need now to feel totally satisfied to rub it in would be Dixie and Ridley. Ridley I don't really have hope for any more but Dixie is on her way, I can feel it! Feel it like it's right in the back of my neck!

What we need now is a super wall of shame post about super wrong expectations or predictions. Mostly the ones who came of as butt hole know it alls. Not unlike this very post.

I honestly didn't feel like creating a thread for this so I thought I'd ask this here:

Is Smash a 2-player friendly game or is it best enjoyed with many people? And any recommendations for a great concurrent 2-player game for Wii U?

Neoxon

I honestly didn't feel like creating a thread for this so I thought I'd ask this here:

Is Smash a 2-player friendly game or is it best enjoyed with many people? And any recommendations for a great concurrent 2-player game for Wii U?
  • GameCube Adapter
  • 2 GameCube Controllers
  • 2 Stocks
  • 6 Minutes
  • Custom Moves On
This is for 1v1's. You can have fun either way honestly. Though 1v1 matches are usually more competitive (hence the tournament standard list of rules). But yeah, the beauty of Smash is that its fun is flexible.

Smash is friendly for all types of play! If you get into the game and really want to test out your skills against a friend, then 2 players is the way to go. 4 players can get pretty hectic if it isn't team-based.

Boss Doggie

I'd argue smash has more modes for two players than 3-8 players.

I wonder how people would react if Smash included a non-video game character.

Neiteio

Smash is fantastic with two players! You can play against each other 1v1, or in a free-for-all with bots, or on a team against the computer. You can even team up, in couch co-op, and challenge another two-person team on the Internet. You can also team up for many other modes, as well.

The most fun I have with Smash 4 is 8 player smash with 2 players and 6 cpus. I play this setup almost daily and it never gets old. Smash Tour can also be okay if it's your thing but you'll have to look past the randomness and favouritism the cpus get.

Richie

I wonder how people would react if Smash included a non-video game character.

If Nintendo ever HAD to add a non-video game character without regard for public votes, part of me thinks that'd be Popeye, if only for the connection it has with Donkey Kong's origins :)

Boss Doggie

Yeah but I'm quite interested just how the reaction would be, like for the purity of Smash and shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well they already have a toy (ROB), anime characters (Pokémon) and a corpse (Mega Man) so we're well past the point of including non videogame characters.

I was very indifferent to Pac-Man when he was first revealed. I thought the design chosen was still a little 'off' even if he could transform into OG Pac-man for some of his moves. However nowadays Pac-Man is one of my favourite fighters in the whole cast. I just love all of his little expressions and quirks that really make him am all round fun character. I will be devastated if he doesn't return in future Smash titles.

Neoxon

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo specifically laid out plans for sequels in the contracts for third parties this time around.
Considering that Sega, Capcom, & Namco still stood by Nintendo for the most part through the Wii U, I doubt we'll lose Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Ryu in the next Smash game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Considering that Sega, Capcom, & Namco still stood by Nintendo for the most part through the Wii U, I doubt we'll lose Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Ryu in the next Smash game.

I really hope so. I would hate to have Snake situation to happen again. Losing an unique moveset is just terrible.

Sponge

Banned

This is why I'm really hoping Smash 4 gets an NX version so we can keep these characters as long as we can.

This is why I'm really hoping Smash 4 gets an NX version so we can keep these characters as long as we can.
Bar one of those companies going under a Konami-style breakdown, I don't foresee SEGA/Capcom/Namco's relationship with Nintendo even if NX repeats the Wii U situation getting so dire that their characters wouldn't be a given for a Smash 5.

Even after when Brawl was recent people questioned the likelihood Snake would return more than Pac, Megs or Ryu. Which sucks since it probably didn't matter as long as Kojima had sway with Konami, but I guess we know how that went now.

Co-op modes:
event mode (beat challenges with specific win goals, really fun and challenging)
Classic mode
online 2v2
Sandbag homerun mode
Multiman battles
and the normal smash battles modes if you team up vs the cpu

Smash is a good 2 player game, co-op AND competitive wise. Amiibos add the fun to it also.

Neoxon

Bar one of those companies going under a Konami-style breakdown, I don't foresee SEGA/Capcom/Namco's relationship with Nintendo even if NX repeats the Wii U situation getting so dire that their characters wouldn't be a given for a Smash 5.

Even after when Brawl was recent people questioned the likelihood Snake would return more than Pac, Megs or Ryu. Which sucks since it probably didn't matter as long as Kojima had sway with Konami, but I guess we know how that went now.
Exactly. So long as none of the 3 start to pull a Konami, all 4 third party characters in Smash 4 will be fine. In fact, I'm surprised Sakurai hasn't added an Atlus character as per Nintendo's positive relationship with them (even though they technically are Sega now), but there aren't a lot of options that are insanely popular from Atlus. Maybe Jack Frost since he was in every SMT game or Yu Narukami since he's the face of the biggest Persona game so far (plus he had a 3DS-exclusive game in the form of Persona Q).

Exactly. So long as none of the 3 start to pull a Konami, all 4 third party characters in Smash 4 will be fine. In fact, I'm surprised Sakurai hasn't added an Atlus character as per Nintendo's positive relationship with them (even though they technically are Sega now), but there aren't a lot of options that are insanely popular from Atlus. Maybe Jack Frost since he was in every SMT game or Yu Narukami since he's the face of the biggest Persona game so far (plus he had a 3DS-exclusive game in the form of Persona Q).
Does Atlus really even have a singular character who represents them, let alone has close ties to Nintendo? Jack Frost counts I guess, but he doesn't show up in too much and I don't feel most Atlus fans would point to him as their ideal candidate for an Atlus rep in a crossover fighting game.

Snake was at least an enormous gaming icon regardless of his comparatively weak Nintendo presence, and Square Enix has Cloud (who represents the overall company fairly well, if not Nintendo) or Black Mage (who represents their past and connection to Nintendo fairly well, if not FF's current state), along with Slime who represents the Enix side (who has the misfortune of DW not being as big west-side as it is in Japan). Even the more oddball choices like Crono or Neku seem like they'd have more recognition in a Smash game than Jack.

Neoxon

Does Atlus really even have a singular character who represents them, let alone has close ties to Nintendo? Jack Frost counts I guess, but he doesn't show up in too much and I don't feel most Atlus fans would point to him as their ideal candidate for an Atlus rep in a crossover fighting game.

Snake was at least an enormous gaming icon regardless of his comparatively weak Nintendo presence, and Square Enix has Cloud (who represents the overall company fairly well, if not Nintendo) or Black Mage (who represents their past and connection to Nintendo fairly well, if not FF's current state), along with Slime who represents the Enix side (who has the misfortune of DW not being as big west-side as it is in Japan). Even the more oddball choices like Crono or Neku seem like they'd have more recognition in a Smash game than Jack.
The problem is that Cloud represents the era that mainline Final Fantasy games abandoned Nintendo consoles. At least Sonic went on to sell better on Nintendo systems. Black Mage could work since, as you said, he comes from the era of FF games on Nintendo systems.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
If I could put in a Square Enix character, it would be Black Mage, or Chocobo, or a duo of those two using abilities and "helpers" from classic Square back when it was on Nintendo consoles.

Edit: JUST now remembered Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom