• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why you'd bother faking a unique Metal Mario render just for Classic mode when you can potentially fight Metal Mario in classic mode regardless.

Fighting Polygon Team coming back in HD would be hilarious though.

So people outside of Japan have randomly been getting the KK Slider hat on the 3DS after patching due to a glitch or something.

Transferring a Mii with the hat to the Wii U unlocks the full costume.

So I don't expect the costume to be sold separately. It might be tied to some promotion as well outside of Japan, as it's set up to unlock on the Wii U, just as the Japanese version does.

(not my pic)

I'm in Japan, but I got the costume through the 7-11 hotspot. I was able to transfer it to the Wii U version with no problem.

For those of you who aren't in Japan....you might be able to get it early if you set up a MACycle to spoof a 7-11 Spotpass. I'm not really sure, TBH. Try connecting to spot passing and pressing L + Start in the Notification/Shop area (where the notifications are).

Does anyone have any experience with the Animal Crossing: New Leaf furniture? It would be the same service (7-11 Spot Pass) that distributed those.

I'm in Japan, but I got the costume through the 7-11 hotspot. I was able to transfer it to the Wii U version with no problem.

For those of you who aren't in Japan....you might be able to get it early if you set up a MACycle to spoof a 7-11 Spotpass. I'm not really sure, TBH. Try connecting to spot passing and pressing L + Start in the Notification/Shop area (where the notifications are).

Does anyone have any experience with the Animal Crossing: New Leaf furniture? It would be the same service (7-11 Spot Pass) that distributed those.
Wait, did you get it from 7-11 with an American 3DS?

These people said it just randomly showed up on the 3DS. And not even the full costume, just the hat, so it seems like it might be a glitch.

It's amazing how far people would go to fake leaks (this was supposed to be an update for Classic Mode).

wow. this would be pretty cool.

Rare modeled a handful of trophies for Melee, but they couldn't be used in the final version of the game for legal reasons. I suspect they were in charge of Diddy's trophy, but when it had to be removed at the last minute there wasn't enough time for HAL to make their own.

I personally believe Diddy and Banjo were both planned for Melee at some point and were scrapped due to confusion with the Rare buyout.

Diddy's trophy was most likely based off his Diddy Kong Racing design, and it was removed for some legal reason. It always struck me as odd how K. Rool and Dixie had trophies but Diddy didn't. Maybe Wolf was planned as a Fox clone they decided to replace him with Falco.

I'm 99% sure this was the case. Wolf looked too similar to Fox, so Falco was used instead.

If Banjo had gotten into Melee, I kind of wonder if Nintendo wouldn't have let that IP go.

I thought it was kind of weird they let Rare take Banjo anyway. By all accounts, Banjo was a Nintendo character and fit well in Nintendo's line up.

kirby_fox

Banned
Aw damn this is pretty awesome. Makes me want to play SSB64 right now

More SSB64 nostalgia would be great for dlc. We're already getting some stages so give us Board the Platforms please!

Bring back every thing. Race to the finish, break the targets (for each character) and all of the stages.

If Banjo had gotten into Melee, I kind of wonder if Nintendo wouldn't have let that IP go.

I thought it was kind of weird they let Rare take Banjo anyway. By all accounts, Banjo was a Nintendo character and fit well in Nintendo's line up.

Didn't Microsoft buy out Rare because of the Banjo IP? I remember them thinking they were buying Donkey Kong too, but they only got the rights to certain characters. Crazy that Rare kept control of a lot of those IP rather than Nintendo.

In another world, Activision bought out Rare and we got some interesting cross platform Banjo games.

Didn't Microsoft buy out Rare because of the Banjo IP? I remember them thinking they were buying Donkey Kong too, but they only got the rights to certain characters. Crazy that Rare kept control of a lot of those IP rather than Nintendo.

In another world, Activision bought out Rare and we got some interesting cross platform Banjo games.

There's been a lot of back and forth on forums over the years about who truly owned the Banjo IP. Some say it was a trade, Microsoft got Banjo from Nintendo and Nintendo got all the extended Donkey Kong universe (which was a horrible trade if true). Others say Nintendo just let Rare have BK because they didn't really need the IP and wanted to avoid any potential legal trouble or bad will between the companies. Which sounds plausible, especially since Nintendo needed Rare later on for other things. Other people believe Rare owned BK 100% and Nintendo couldn't have done anything to grab the IP from Microsoft.

As far as I can see, Banjo was 100% owned by Nintendo. They funded development, they owned a major stake in Rare, it would have been really unprecedented for them to not specify they owned the new IP created under their umbrella. It would be like GameFreak claiming they had full ownership of Pokemon.

I honestly couldn't find much online about the Banjo Kazooie IP rights.

And yes, Microsoft Execs thought they owned Donkey Kong.

Look at the copyright at the bottom left:

2924_back.jpg

kirby_fox

Banned
Look at the copyright at the bottom left

Not really conclusive. The box art for Banjo Kazooie and Tooie don't have that, but are listed as being copyright Nintendo/Rare. The DS version has "certain characters licensed by Rare" while B&K:N&B has Banjo AND Rare being listed as copyright under Microsoft.

No game has Nintendo as the sole copyright owner, so it sounds like Banjo may have been copyrighted by Nintendo but owned by Rare and once bought out the copyright went to Microsoft as the sole owner (since Nintendo only owned part of Rare, this would make sense). Because of all of this legal stuff, I doubt Banjo has even a small chance of coming to Smash.

Unless for some reason Nintendo decides to acquire the rights to the IP again, or Microsoft decides there's no threat from Nintendo's consoles and let's Rare put Banjo games on there because they'll sell more...crazier things have happened.

Didn't Sakurai say there were 'legal issues' behind using seemingly obvious Rare-related additions like Banjo on Source Gaming's translation of the Melee poll?

Azure J

I get the feeling that if Banjo and Joanna made it into Melee, Nintendo would probably hang on to both of those IPs.

I get the feeling that if Banjo and Joanna made it into Melee, Nintendo would probably hang on to both of those IPs.
Considering how Perfect Dark was already a proven IP, if Nintendo held onto the rights and found the right team for it I'm wondering if the GCN would've still had the huge image problems it did. At the very least Nintendo would have their own major FPS series, and while I doubt it'd make that much of a dent against Halo it'd probably do better than Resistance did for Sony.

NeonZ

Weren't some items third party, like the sensor bomb and the cloaking device?

The sensor bomb was based on Perfect Dark, but only in the Japanese version of Melee. The other design resembled the one from Goldeneye, but it was never officially listed as such, and it wasn't identical either. The items were always listed as Smash original or "SECRET" (for one of them in Melee, although I'm not sure which one).

I think the Japanese version of Melee still lists the cloaking device as being from Perfect Dark and the proximity mine from Goldeneye, since the credits still list those games near the end.

Crackpot fan theory time: Zero Suit Samus is based on a scrapped concept for a playable Joanna Dark in Melee!

NeonZ

I think the Japanese version of Melee still lists the cloaking device as being from Perfect Dark and the proximity mine from Goldeneye, since the credits still list those games near the end.

Crackpot fan theory time: Zero Suit Samus is based on a scrapped concept for a playable Joanna Dark in Melee!

Japanese Melee had the proximity mine from Perfect Dark, and actually said it was from Perfect Dark. It was the western version that had the Goldeneye looking one, but didn't list it as coming from Goldeneye.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Motion-Sensor_Bomb

Richie

Considering how Perfect Dark was already a proven IP, if Nintendo held onto the rights and found the right team for it I'm wondering if the GCN would've still had the huge image problems it did. At the very least Nintendo would have their own major FPS series, and while I doubt it'd make that much of a dent against Halo it'd probably do better than Resistance did for Sony.

Franchise created and developed outside of Japan, thus likely to be entrusted to a non-Japanese studio...A shooter...With a leading lady...

...Man, in some alternate universe folks are playing Perfect Dark Prime.

Love the living hell out of Metroid Prime but wow at that thought.

Didn't Sakurai say there were 'legal issues' behind using seemingly obvious Rare-related additions like Banjo on Source Gaming's translation of the Melee poll?

Yup it's on the Definitive Unused Fighter List. Which I recently updated.

These people said it just randomly showed up on the 3DS. And not even the full costume, just the hat, so it seems like it might be a glitch.

Ahh I see. I wonder how people can recreate the glitch.

Wait, did you get it from 7-11 with an American 3DS?

Japanese 3DS/ Wii U. I wonder if it'd work on American 3DS with 7-11 Spotpass. Hmmm. I don't have a US copy of Smash for my US 3DS.

kirby_fox

Banned

I'm surprised as hell there was no red head/black suit costume for ZSS. We get Banjo-Kazooie for Duck Hunt, but no Joanna Dark for Zero Suit. Missed opportunity.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm believing that ideas for certain characters have been recycled. Banjo-Kazooie could easily work with some tweakings of DHD. And at the same time, Nintendog being considered some of the moves might make sense there too. Considering Balloon Fighter and Villager's Up-Special for instance.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The "BK color" for Duck hunt is just fan shit. Red ducks do exist in Duck Hunt and dark brown dogs exist (it's not even the same shade of brown Banjo has).

Japanese Melee had the proximity mine from Perfect Dark, and actually said it was from Perfect Dark. It was the western version that had the Goldeneye looking one, but didn't list it as coming from Goldeneye.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Motion-Sensor_Bomb

TOP SECRET eh?

Finally got my hands on Ryu. He's really easy to play, but I'm guessing hard to master. I was able to pull off a special Hadouken with ease, but couldn't quite remember the inputs for other attacks... time to do some research!

Didn't bother with Lucas and Roy because... yeah...

Neoxon

Finally got my hands on Ryu. He's really easy to play, but I'm guessing hard to master. I was able to pull off a special Hadouken with ease, but couldn't quite remember the inputs for other attacks... time to do some research!

Didn't bother with Lucas and Roy because... yeah...
Why not?

Neoxon

I just don't like them as characters to be honest. And I feel the effort clearly poured into Ryu is far more deserving of my cash. They're far too similar to other characters for me to care.
To be fair, they decloned Roy as much as they could while still making him Roy, & Lucas wasn't that much of a clone to begin with.

Lucas they actually more-cloned, which is goofy.

His Final Smash used to be a bit different from Ness' (color and where the meteors hit). Now it's a direct clone. Even down to Earthbound sound effects.

Also fun tidbit on PK Starstorm. Ness' voice line for it is 2 sound files ("PK" and "STARSTOOORRMM") while Lucas' for some reason is only one voice line.

How will the recent earth shattering confirmation that K Rool's stomach is armor affect his chances of being Smash DLC?

I say this means he's all but confirmed at this point.

lol

kirby_fox

Banned
The "BK color" for Duck hunt is just fan shit. Red ducks do exist in Duck Hunt and dark brown dogs exist (it's not even the same shade of brown Banjo has).

Shh. Quiet. It's the closest we'll have to Banjo, OK? Just let me have this.

Addicted to Arkham Knight at the moment

Voting for Batman and saying "Break the rules, Sakurai"

I'm afraid that if this happens all barriers are broken, and we will have an endless amount of 10 year olds asking for Goku, Spongebob, Shrek and every cartoon character they can think of that has nothing to do with Smash...

...though Batman is one character I'd be totally OK with seeing.

They really should go back and give Kongo Jungle the same graphical improvement the other 64 stages have gotten. It seems so low-res and dated compared to Dreamland.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Shh let him have his moment.

Hmm Sakurai never said anything about incoming character DLCs in the last Smash direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom