• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Pretty much this. We seem to be getting DLC in 2 month intervals since Mewtwo in April so I'd probably guess something will hit alongside the August update.

Yeah. August will probably be someone easy like Wolf, Dixie, or post-prep time Ice Climbers. Maybe for October, too. I'm assuming the Ballot winner was clear by May, so they might have that character/those characters in December/February. Then we're done.

Or a "for NX" edition is announced with all this DLC on-disc, as well as with new characters. More will be announced as DLC after that game's launch, keeping this trainwreck rolling into 2017.

Or a "for NX" edition is announced with all this DLC on-disc, as well as with new characters. More will be announced as DLC after that game's launch, keeping this trainwreck rolling into 2017.
Knowing what we (probably) know at the moment about NX I'm kinda leaning towards there not being a quick and dirty Smash 4 port for it.

Neoxon

Lythero made this gif for the #WonderRed4Smash movement.

xXsw5VW.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So there's this circulating twitter with regards to PM and Wolf.

You know if you're gonna sell me Wolf, you don't use a disgusting alt skin made by Sonic-tier fanbase.

I was thinking about characters that would add a unique twist to the game and Boo could work really well with maybe the ability to turn invisible for a short while. Of course he could have a very unique floating mechanic too.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Reading that new translation of the ice climbers article kills my dreams of one day having the entire Melee roster back :(

Yeah, I read it too. It's sad, as it's the final nail in the coffin for Ice Climbers, no amount of ballot support is going to get them in and Sakurai gave no indication he'd ever separate them, and I don't know many who would like that anyway. There's a little light at the end of the tunnel though, as Wolf is not only highly asked for East and West, he has practically no competition from other veterans now (with Ice Climbers now joining Ridley on the "never happening for SSB4" bench, I have my doubts Snake will return, and Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Young Link don't have nearly as much support as Wolf).

There's always next time on the NX, maybe the NX version, if they do a "definitive" edition of Smash 4 for NX, they might make Ice Climbers an exclusive there, if they don't do that, there's always Smash 5. You can tell Sakurai did everything in his power to try to get the Ice Climbers working, they were even working on Wii U. Wasn't enough.

Golnei

Better get used to it for when Smash Mobile comes out!

I don't see how the Ice Climbers could possibly be prohibitively resource-intensive in a collectible card game. The shift in genre might put some people off, but it's a much more sustainable direction for the franchise's future.

Neoxon

Masahiro Sakurai said:
Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority.
This pretty much means that if we don't get Wonder Red & Isaac in via the ballot, they'll most likely never be in Smash at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This pretty much means that if we don't get Wonder Red & Isaac in via the ballot, they'll most likely never be in Smash at all.

I could see Wonderful 101 getting second chance but who know! I think Wonder Red might have better chance than Isaac does in Smash 5, if they didn't get in because of Smash Ballot.

Neoxon

I could see Wonderful 101 getting second chance but who know! I think Wonder Red might have better chance than Isaac does in Smash 5, if they didn't get in because of Smash Ballot.
The Wonderful 101, while it's a cult hit, sold too poorly for Nintendo to ever consider another game in the franchise again. It's on life support, & if Wonder Red doesn't get in Smash via the ballot, he'll fade into obscurity like the other dead Nintendo franchises with no presence in Smash.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The development issues.

I think your paranoid is getting way worse right now. >.> I'm tempted to make an avatar bet with you for wolf being in smash 4. If he get in then I will make my choice of "Animal Buff Body" for you for two weeks.

The Wonderful 101, while it's a cult hit, sold too poorly for Nintendo to ever consider another game in the franchise again. It's on life support, & if Wonder Red doesn't get in Smash via the ballot, he'll fade into obscurity like the other dead Nintendo franchises with no presence in Smash.

Did you work at Nintendo? if not, then you probably worried too much about that. If Wonderful 101 is actually "cult hit" then you shouldn't worry about it at all.

Neoxon

Did you work at Nintendo? if not, then you probably worried too much about that. If Wonderful 101 is actually "cult hit" then you shouldn't worry about it at all.
I'm basing it off of franchises that sold similarly to The Wonderful 101 (in terms of the ratio of how many copies the game sold to the system's install base at the time). The Wonderful 101 is on its way to the grave. In fact, it already has a foot in the grave. ;_;

I hope that doesn't bode bad things for Wolf.
We got Lucas back and his series is deader than Star Fox is. I can't see how any of the information we have right now bodes poorly for Wolf at all. He's not a physical impossibility like the Ice Climbers and the Star Fox series is getting a genuinely new release at the end of the year, so it's not a dead franchise. Why are you so worried about Wolf?

EDIT: The Wonderful 101 doesn't have a "foot in the grave," it's dead and buried. It died on release. Complete stillbirth.

Neoxon

We got Lucas back and his series is deader than Star Fox is. I can't see how any of the information we have right now bodes poorly for Wolf at all. He's not a physical impossibility like the Ice Climbers and the Star Fox series is getting a genuinely new release at the end of the year, so it's not a dead franchise. Why are you so worried about Wolf?

EDIT: The Wonderful 101 doesn't have a "foot in the grave," it's dead and buried. It died on release. Complete stillbirth.
My point is that there's still a chance for it to be saved through Wonder Red getting in Smash. If he doesn't get in now, then his franchise truly is dead.

Golnei

My point is that there's still a chance for it to be saved through Wonder Red getting in Smash. If he doesn't get in now, then his franchise truly is dead.

The game's status alone (relatively recent, massively unpopular, aesthetically unappealing, beyond dead) would disqualify him. The ballot isn't an automatic guarantee of inclusion - even if enough people voted for a given obscure character, they're under no obligation to waste resources on them instead of saner choices. And that's assuming the data isn't just going to influence the result of an existing internal shortlist rather than providing candidates in itself; if it's actually used at all.

Neoxon

The game's status alone (relatively recent, massively unpopular, aesthetically unappealing, beyond dead) would disqualify him. The ballot isn't an automatic guarantee of inclusion - even if enough people voted for a given obscure character, they're under no obligation to waste resources on them instead of saner choices. And that's assuming the data isn't just going to influence the result of an existing internal shortlist rather than providing candidates in itself; if it's actually used at all.
My point is that if they get like around Top 5 or so, they'll at least be considered. And while yes, the game bombed, it's still popular amongst those who've played it (so I wouldn't say it's massively unpopular, just underrated). Plus I wouldn't exactly call it "aesthetically unappealing". You make it sound like that The Wonderful 101 is the worst game Platinum has ever put out, when that's the farthest thing from the truth.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My point is that if they get like around Top 5 or so, they'll at least be considered. And while yes, the game bombed, it's still popular amongst those who've played it (so I wouldn't say it's massively unpopular, just underrated). Plus I wouldn't exactly call it "aesthetically unappealing". You make it sound like that The Wonderful 101 is the worst game Platinum has ever put out, when that's the farthest thing from the truth.

Right now, I'm playing Wonderful 101 to see what's up behind a "cult hit" game. I felt that the gameplay is somewhat clumsy and camera is just terrible. That's only two beef I had with the games for now.

What you should be worrying about, Boss Doggie, is that Wolf's voice will almost certainly be his Starfox 64 3D voice, and not his Assault voice. :)

Neoxon

What you should be worrying about, Boss Doggie, is that Wolf's voice will almost certainly be his Starfox 64 3D voice, and not his Assault voice. :)
His Star Fox 64 3D voice is most likely going to being used for Star Fox Zero, like the rest of the SF cast.

Boss Doggie

Yeah I already dread the voice, but if he's back at least I can "pretend".

With that said I'm being all paranoid because I can only take enough heartbreaks.

If they also give Wolf his own easter egg taunt for Orbital Gate, I wonder if they'll bring in the Star Wolf team (and uh, inexplicably have Pigma there or bring in Panther's VA back despite being retconned out of existence now) or just have the regular Star Fox crew comment on him.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Now that I think about it, all these Chorus Kids rumours/speculation would have been Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan during the Brawl days. :( You could even put the divas or cheerleaders as female alternates.

Boss Doggie

If they also give Wolf his own easter egg taunt for Orbital Gate, I wonder if they'll bring in the Star Wolf team (and uh, inexplicably have Pigma there or bring in Panther's VA back despite being retconned out of existence now) or just have the regular Star Fox crew comment on him.

I doubt they'd care, I mean look at the others they never got Palutena's Guidance.

I really doubt Wolf would be added to Orbital Gate if he's DLC. It's one thing to get Wolf back to record for Smash but it's another to get the entire Star Fox cast back just for Smash DLC. Not to mention--why would anyone say anything about Wolf on Orbital Gate anyway? Star Wolf doesn't appear on the stage and the secret conversations only work when Fox and Falco aren't present.

Boss Doggie

I really doubt Wolf would be added to Orbital Gate if he's DLC. It's one thing to get Wolf back to record for Smash but it's another to get the entire Star Fox cast back just for Smash DLC. Not to mention--why would anyone say anything about Wolf on Orbital Gate anyway? Star Wolf doesn't appear on the stage and the secret conversations only work when Fox and Falco aren't present.

Technically in SFAssault they do but yeah in this version they don't.

That's sort of why I figured Wolf would (maybe not considering the lack of proper Palutena messages for DLC additions) get a call out in Orbital Gate since he was in the original stage, if not in the Smash version.

They had to get the same VA's as SF643D back together at Nintendo for Star Fox Zero though, so you never know I guess.

They do but they only appear partway through the mission, so you could give it the benefit of the doubt that it's supposed to take place before they appear. No, the really baffling missing character is Krystal. It's a weird stage, it's Star Fox Assault, but the conversations are sort of a bizarre insight into the future reboot of the series.

Considering Star Fox Zero looks to be ignoring anything after Star Fox 64, I'm guessing Sakurai got word that Nintendo were retconning Adventures/Assault/Command and wouldn't have access to Krystal's voice actress?

Or something like that anyhow. But then there's the question of why there's an Assault stage or trophies from those latter three games in the first place.

EDIT: fuck it that's almost what you said verbatim, sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom