• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone can cause a stir but they're all different kinds.
Thats true. Tho I'd wonder why Inklings would cause a stir. Seems like everyone wants the, to me.

On that: Yes please give me Inklings. Hope thats what the character is coming. Give me Inklings, and I won't complain about anyone else. (I don't really complain anywayz. The only characters I don't like are Fox, Falco, Wario, Shiek, and Marth. More than satisfied with the roster. But if they do Inklings and SK then I'd be set for years.)

The only characters I don't like are Fox, Falco, Wario, Shiek, and Marth.

image.php

I would like Bomberman in Smash, he's an iconic character, but I'd rather have Simon or some other Castlevania character, since that is a series dear to my heart.

However, Konami is Konami and Konami is shit.

Dr. Buni

I would like a Castlevania character too, but to me it'd have to bee Alucard, Soma Cruz or Shanoa (100% impossible). If Simon Belmont is the only option, I will take Bomberman instead (with Super Bomberman 3/4 music, please).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Anyway, what's up with the excitement today? :D

I'm pretty sure that they probably stirring up the beehives to rile up everyone! As everyone know me, I'm going with low expectation, so we probably wouldn't hear anything for awhile.

Edited: To Reila, did you see Laura? what do you think about new Brazilian character?

Masked Man

I said wow
The only thing making me second-guess the Inklings being the rumored next characters is that the ones with insider info make it sound like the character chosen was not necessarily a ballot "darling," while the Inklings seem to have garnered plenty of player support from quite early on in the voting process.

That said, I really hope it's the Inklings!
I could also see Captain Toad, Waluigi, or Dixie because they would, as one Tweeter(?) put it, "make total sense."

https://twitter.com/Stealth___
https://twitter.com/therealzef
https://twitter.com/RogersBase

These guys have been tweeting the most about it today. The source seems to stem from the third one though. The latter two have a bit of a hand in the Smash community and I know at least Warchamp7 seems to be believing it - though they are telling people not to overhype themselves despite the news supposedly being pretty hype.

But like my spoiler implies, my Inkling comment is really only a rose-tinted view of it lmao

Fwiw, Warchamp was the original mod on Smashboards who received the video from the ESRB leak. If anyone has legitimate contacts on that board, it is him.

Sakurai wants to bring in characters who add something new and unique to the game, and loves bringing in mechanics from the source games for characters. Inklings will be totally unique because they'll be bringing their ink mechanics with them- with the caveat that the ink will probably fade away after a few seconds or something like that. I doubt they'd let it stick around permanently but you want the Inkling to be able to take advantage of laying it down.
I remember a quote from Sakurai saying that it actually doesn't take him too long to envision the movesets for characters, just the programming takes long -- obviously.

Inklings make so much sense it almost hurts.

I would like a Castlevania character too, but to me it'd have to bee Alucard, Soma Cruz or Shanoa (100% impossible). If Simon Belmont is the only option, I will take Bomberman instead (with Super Bomberman 3/4 music, please).

I don't like the idea of those characters over a Belmont because the whip and the subweapons are such an integral part to the series. It's the thing that made it so iconic. Simon would be cool, but I'd also take another Belmont (or Morris I guess).

I don't like Soma as a character, I don't like Order of Ecclesia (although I don't mind Shanoa all that much), and I think Alucard should be the second Castlevania character after a whip user, if CV ever got two characters (as if).
Alucard never was a Nintendo-protagonist character, after all. He's always been a companion or supporting character in any CV game that he appeared in on a Nintendo platform. It's always been the Belmonts that were the heroes in the Nintendo platform games, or somebody else like Soma or Shanoa. That's why he should be the secondary priority.

Wait, Wii Will Rock U, the guy who made that fake twitter about Layton being in Brawl or whatever? No, no, we're not listening to him, are we?

Neoxon

Wait, Wii Will Rock U, the guy who made that fake twitter about Layton being in Brawl or whatever? No, no, we're not listening to him, are we?
That was back during the Brawl days. Now he actually does have NoA sources.

Considering they've invested in a million dollar Japanese eSports Tournament for Splatoon, it makes the most sense to pull from there. Chibi Robo isn't going anywhere and while Wolf is logical, it sounds like a newcomer.

But I'm VERY interested to see how Inkling would play if it was them.
I feel like the Inklings would be 3rd or 4th (granted, it's not an election, but you get my point). Some may have felt discouraged to vote for the Inklings because of the Mii Costumes or didn't because it was a foregone conclusion that they would get in eventually (mostly the latter). But they would make the most noise of all of the potential ballot characters on social media.....except maybe King K. Rool, but he has a good shot at being #1.

I gotta say, I felt a little bad for him haha. Kinda sucks that the ban was perma, or at least that they didn't give him amnesty after like six years. :p

That's because you're clearly forgetting about this nintendo character...

I think GameXplain's Andre would die if he appeared in smash :p

Who, douche Simon?

Seriously Simon would be worth it just to have the Captain N video game characters reunion!

I don't believe the rumor, but if it is real, I'm betting on either Inkling or K. Rool. Those are the only Nintendo newcomers who would generate social a lot of media buzz. The third guy, RealZef, said it's probably not the ballot winner because that means they would have started this character before the ballot ended. I think Inkling is more likely to be pre-ballot than K. Rool, but it could possibly go the other way. One getting in would be good for the other, since they're both popular ballot picks that have been turned into Mii costumes.

I'm going with Inkling.

Neoxon

I don't believe the rumor, but if it is real, I'm betting on either Inkling or K. Rool. Those are the only Nintendo newcomers who would generate social a lot of media buzz. The third guy, RealZef, said it's probably not the ballot winner because that means they would have started this character before the ballot ended. I think Inkling is more likely to be pre-ballot than K. Rool, but it could possibly go the other way. One getting in would be good for the other, since they're both popular ballot picks that have been turned into Mii costumes.

I'm going with Inkling.
But in the case of the Inklings, their Mii Costumes came off more as a quick means to promote Splatoon than something to appease ballot voters.

I would argue Ridley would also produce a massive media buzz, and that's partially because of the controversy about his role in Smash Bros. overall.

However, I do not believe Ridley will ever be playable in Smash. Ever. His best shots were Brawl and this game. He didn't make it. And he won't now. The only way for Ridley to make it into Smash is if a new Metroid comes out with a Ridley that's portrayed as closer to Samus' size, and less of an awkward body type to turn into a fighter.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I gotta say, I felt a little bad for him haha. Kinda sucks that the ban was perma, or at least that they didn't give him amnesty after like six years. :p

Don't be. He really enjoyed the attentions that he's getting for that, and he have second account here so he's just fine.

But in the case of the Inklings, their Mii Costumes came off more as a quick means to promote Splatoon than something to appease ballot voters.

Yeah, It was pretty nice preorder bonus tho!

How do we know that the K. Rool costume wasn't meant to "appease" fans of K. Rool while they're busy at work on the real thing? Both costumes cost money, and the Inkling costume even comes with a trophy. We know jack shit. For all we know, Assist Trophies are eligible to become playable characters and Sakurai is working on Waluigi as we speak. Stop making up rules and assumptions every five minutes. The speculation scene is going to give me an aneurysm.

Sponge

Banned
At the same time, I don't think K. Rool has "trending power" like the Inklings or even Waluigi.

Waluigi support was haulted in it tracks when the assist trophy happened. I'd have put in a vote for him if he wasn't already an assist. I honestly think K. Rool would generate a good amount of buzz.

Neoxon

How do we know that the K. Rool costume wasn't meant to "appease" fans of K. Rool while they're busy at work on the real thing? Both costumes cost money, and the Inkling costume even comes with a trophy. We know jack shit. For all we know, Assist Trophies are eligible to become playable characters and Sakurai is working on Waluigi as we speak. Stop making up rules and assumptions every five minutes. The speculation scene is going to give me an aneurysm.
Not once did I say that King K. Rool's Mii Costume was added to appease the ballot voters. I only said that the Inklings were definitely not made for that reason due to the fact that their costumes were announced before the release of Splatoon.

Not once did I say that King K. Rool's Mii Costume was added to appease the ballot voters. I only said that the Inklings were definitely not made for that reason due to the fact that their costumes were announced before the release of Splatoon.

That doesn't matter. They were announced before the release of Splatoon, but after the start of the ballot. Both the Inkling and K. Rool were given Mii costumes before the ballot ended. How is that fair to either character? Hint: It's not, which is why I think both characters are coming. What if Sakurai saw an extremely creative K. Rool moveset in August and loved it so much that he had to use it? "Ah phooey, I guess we can't add him since he's already a costume. Better luck next time!"

I don't believe in the consolation prize theory, but either he's coming or they do in fact hate the character and they wanted to get his "deconfirmation" out of the way as quickly as possible, which is why NOBODY ELSE has been deconfirmed yet. Hate is a strong word, but considering that no other popular ballot frontrunners have been deconfirmed and the K. Rool costume was revealed in late July, that's basically an admission that the whole ballot was a sham and they never intended to include K. Rool even if he hypothetically received 100 million votes and dozens of creative moveset submissions. I'm sure some people will argue the costume is "better than nothing", and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I'll feel terrible if all of our efforts have gone towards a sham ballot that was compromised the moment they started handing out consolation prizes prematurely.

Azure J

The suggestion of Inklings as a clone is one of those things people should get slapped for. There was a point where I thought Pit had the largest combat repertoire to take from in a new Smash title. Inklings blow that right the fuck out.

...and thats he reason I don't like playing as Marth, because there no reason when Lucina is in the game since I like her character more.

Roy is different enough from Lucina so I don't dislike playing as him. I guess I'd add Pit to that list since he's basically Dark Pit.

*foams at the mouth*

Can someone please tell me why these guys are trustworthy, because the best information I can seem to get anywhere is that "they are."

EDIT: "Sham ballot." Please don't.

What would you call a suggestion box that didn't consider all suggestions before killing off a reasonable character if not a sham, except for maybe a farce or a con or a synonym?

There was still a third of the ballot left when that costume dropped with a lot of possible suggestions for move set or play style ideas left to read, there is no reason to say suggestion box then not care about a chunk of them

TDLink

People have said it before, but it bares repeating:

A character having a mii costume means nothing at all for their chances of being a fully playable character. Several playable characters in the game also have Mii Fighter costumes. It means literally nothing in terms of playable characters.

People keep setting up arbitrary rules for this and Sakurai continuously proves them wrong. If Sakurai decides to make K Rool or Inklings a full fledged character, he will. Having a Mii costume isn't some disqualifier.

Yeah, even if you buy into this notion that the ballot is just a suggestion box, which it is, singling out a highly requested character before the ballot ends and saying "haha, this is all you get" is an admission that, even if Sakurai saw a cool moveset idea, he would have never implemented it, ergo our input was worthless. I don't know about you guys, but I think the word "sham" is applicable in this fantasy scenario. Thankfully, none of this matters because I don't believe that the Mii costume means anything.

People keep setting up arbitrary rules for this and Sakurai continuously proves them wrong. If Sakurai decides to make K Rool or Inklings a full fledged character, he will. Having a Mii costume isn't some disqualifier.

As recently as last week, Sakurai broke the "no returning music on DLC stages" rule that the fans arbitrarily made up, so I look forward to the meltdowns when they start adding "ineligible" characters like Ridley and Tingle as DLC.

TDLink

As recently as last week, Sakurai broke the "no returning music on DLC stages" rule that the fans arbitrarily made up, so I look forward to the meltdowns when they start adding "ineligible" characters like Ridley and Tingle as DLC.

Right. This is exactly my point. There's no real reason to make up these arbitrary "rules".

Neoxon

That doesn't matter. They were announced before the release of Splatoon, but after the start of the ballot. Both the Inkling and K. Rool were given Mii costumes before the ballot ended. How is that fair to either character? Hint: It's not, which is why I think both characters are coming. What if Sakurai saw an extremely creative K. Rool moveset in August and loved it so much that he had to use it? "Ah phooey, I guess we can't add him since he's already a costume. Better luck next time!"

I don't believe in the consolation prize theory, but either he's coming or they do in fact hate the character and they wanted to get his "deconfirmation" out of the way as quickly as possible, which is why NOBODY ELSE has been deconfirmed yet. Hate is a strong word, but considering that no other popular ballot frontrunners have been deconfirmed and the K. Rool costume was revealed in late July, that's basically an admission that the whole ballot was a sham and they never intended to include K. Rool even if he hypothetically received 100 million votes and dozens of creative moveset submissions. I'm sure some people will argue the costume is "better than nothing", and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I'll feel terrible if all of our efforts have gone towards a sham ballot that was compromised the moment they started handing out consolation prizes prematurely.
Neither do I, but to those who may argue for it, the reason I say before the release of Splatoon is because most of the Inklings' popularity came after the release of their game. But let's be honest, Sakurai probably made his ballot picks months ago if he plans on adding ballot characters as soon as November (or maybe sooner).

Pokemaniac

Yeah, even if you buy into this notion that the ballot is just a suggestion box, which it is, singling out a highly requested character before the ballot ended and saying "haha, this is all you get" is an admission that, even if Sakurai saw a cool moveset idea, he would have never implemented it, ergo our input was worthless. I don't know about you, but I think the word "sham" is applicable in this fantasy scenario. Thankfully, none of this matters because I don't believe that the Mii costume means anything.

All things considered, we're probably not getting more than a handful of characters from the ballot. Even if K. Rool is highly requested (I don't put a lot of stock into the various polls that fan sites have been conducted, as they generally have pretty bad sampling bias), there's a pretty big spectrum of "highly requested". It's quite possible that he wasn't requested to the level that would justify making DLC of him. In that case, they could have made a costume now, while putting K. Rool high on the list to make it into Smash 5. The Smash ballot is not explicitly tied to Smash 4. Sakurai also has strong opinions about various characters (see: Ridley), and, while they can change, we really don't know what he thinks about K. Rool right now (unless I missed something).

Honestly though, I find all these assumptions about which characters are leading the ballot to be similarly annoying to all the "rules". We really don't have much, if any, reliable data on the matter.

Having to wait until the end of the ballot to decide to not use a character seems like a pretty arbitrary rule too.

Are you kidding me? Imagine having an election and telling, let's say... Hillary Clinton, that, no matter how many votes she receives, she will not be elected. Period. It's different for Smash in that there isn't a sole "winner" of the ballot, but the principle is the same. Choosing a winner early is fair, but choosing a loser is not. You never know what charming idea Sakurai could find at the last minute. The idea of having early consolation prizes doesn't sit well with me at all, regardless of K. Rool's standing.

TDLink

The first character "pack" was 4 characters. With this in mind I expect 8 more characters. 4 this year (which may or may not have staggered release) mixed between what sakurai still wants to put in (wolf?) and choices from before the ballot was finished based on the direction it was going. And then 4 in the first half of next year (which may or may not have staggered release) actually based on the finalized poll results.

That may seem like a lot, but I think the character dlc has done well for Nintendo and having a slew of new content like this helps to hide weaknesses in the system's lineup.

Pokemaniac

Are you kidding me? Imagine having an election and telling, let's say... Hillary Clinton, that, no matter how many votes she receives, she will not be elected. Period. It's different for Smash in that there isn't a sole "winner" of the ballot, but the principle is the same. Choosing a winner early is fair, but choosing a loser is not. You never know what charming idea Sakurai could find at the last minute. The idea of having early consolation prizes doesn't sit well with me at all, regardless of K. Rool's standing.

This isn't an election, though. It's a suggestion box. There is no guarantee or expectation that any character voted for will get in the game, no matter how many votes they get. There are no winners or losers, just characters that inspire Sakurai.

This isn't an election, though. It's a suggestion box. There is no guarantee or expectation that any character voted for will get in the game. There are no winners or losers, just characters that inspire Sakurai.

There are no winners and losers? The winners are the characters who get into the game, the losers are those who don't. Nobody ever said that this was some political election where the only thing that matters is getting the most votes. The point is that what if a K. Rool moveset idea "inspired" Sakurai after the Mii costume was created? Should that be discarded because lolalreadydeconfirmed? No, which is why the idea of having premature consolation prizes is bullshit.

Neoxon

But the Smash Ballot isn't an election, it's a glorified suggestion box. Sakurai may pull from the Top 20 or so, but it's ultimately his call.

Crayolan

People are seriously suggesting the Inklings should be clones? lmao

I think we've reached a new low of desperation for characters now. Inklings being clones of anything would be a bigger waste of potential than Ganondorf being a clone.

Hopefully, Inklings or no Inklings, Sakurai finds a way to sneak some Splatoon music into the game. Need that squid sister final boss theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom