• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wish it could be Dixie, because her inclusion to the Smash roster isn't certain like the Inklings' inclusion pretty much is at this point. But I would be pretty excited to have Inklings in Smash 4 anyways, so yay if true.

Yeah! Man, I can't wait for Dixie and Inkling to be clones of Diddy Kong and Snake. They are going to be amazing!

Haruka Amami will not come as a surprise cos I've already given everyone plenty of warning.

Only in your dream!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Inklings as a Snake clone, Dixie as a Diddy clone and the return of Wolf and Pichu.

Super Smash Bros: Attack of the Clones (2015).

:^)

People are going to be very salty about it if it actually happens. (I hope that people know I was being sarcastic about Snake/Inkling and Dixie/Diddy)

Anyway, To Reila, did you see Laura? what do you think about new Brazilian character?

Dr. Buni

People are going to be very salty about it if it actually happens. (I hope that people know I was being sarcastic about Snake/Inkling and Dixie/Diddy)

Anyway, To Reila, did you see Laura? what do you think about new Brazilian character?
I am not the biggest fan of her design, but considering she is a Street Fighter character, it could have been worse. A lot worse. I kinda lost the hype for the game after R. Mika though, so w/e. I am more interested in Pokken when it comes to non-Smash fighters, at the moment.

Richie

What do you guys think of the implications if the Inklings are DLC, regarding a potential Smash 4 remaster for the NX?

The Inklings are, like, the perfect newcomer to announce alongside a brand new game. Yet if they don't wait for that and instead opt to make them DLC, well, may be doing mental gymnastics, but that'd make me think we ARE getting a remaster of Smash for the NX's launch. May even lead more credit to the idea of such a remaster being continuously updated all through the NX's life instead of starting from square one with a new entry.

Or it could be nothing like that, they may just wanna hit the iron while it's Fresh. I love speculation anyway.,

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am not the biggest fan of her design, but considering she is a Street Fighter character, it could have been worse. A lot worse. I kinda lost the hype for the game after R. Mika though, so w/e. I am more interested in Pokken when it comes to non-Smash fighters, at the moment.

Yeah, it could have been worse but that suck for you to fall out of hype. For Pokken, when are they coming to America? I know they just announced Wii U version but I forget when they are planning to release the game.

Dr. Buni

What do you guys think of the implications if the Inklings are DLC, regarding a potential Smash 4 remaster for the NX?

The Inklings are, like, the perfect newcomer to announce alongside a brand new game. Yet if they don't wait for that and instead opt to make them DLC, well, may be doing mental gymnastics, but that'd make me think we ARE getting a remaster of Smash for the NX's launch. May even lead more credit to the idea of such a remaster being continuously updated all through the NX's life instead of starting from square one with a new entry.

Or it could be nothing like that, but I love speculation.
I agree that Inklings are the perfect poster squid kid for the next Smash, but Nintendo might have new characters to promote by the time Smash NX is supposed to be released. I mean, most of the Smash 4 newcomers didn't even exist when Brawl was released. I do like the idea of Smash becoming sort of a "service", with constant upgrades through the years, instead of getting newer versions every 5 years or so.
Yeah, it could have been worse but that suck for you to fall out of hype. For Pokken, when are they coming to America? I know they just announced Wii U version but I forget when they are planning to release the game.
To be fair, I would probably drop SF5 really quick because I can never seem to improve in 2D traditional fighters.

As for the release... 2016, I think?

most of the Smash 4 newcomers didn't even exist when Brawl was released.

Hmm?

Post Brawl

1. Robin
2. Lucina
3. Dark Pit
5. Greninja
6. Shulk

Pre Brawl

1. Mega Man
2. Pac Man
3. Ryu
4. Rosalina (two months prior)
5. Bowser Jr
6. Little Mac
7. Palutena
8. Villager
9. Duck Hunt
10. Miis
11. Wii Fit Trainer (one month prior)

Like InaSnowBoundLand said, "Once again, it seems that other than Inklings, K. Rool is apparently the only ballot popular character with a Mii costume."
So, essentially, you're saying that if K. Rool isn't DLC Sakurai needs to publicly apologize for the Mii costume?

Hmm?

Post Brawl

1. Robin
2. Lucina
3. Dark Pit
5. Greninja
6. Shulk

Pre Brawl

1. Mega Man
2. Pac Man
3. Ryu
4. Rosalina (two months prior)
5. Bowser Jr
6. Little Mac
7. Palutena
8. Villager
9. Duck Hunt
10. Miis
11. Wii Fit Trainer (one month prior)
To the letter, yes, those eleven did exist prior, but:

Rosalina and the Wii Fit Trainer did not exist during the planning stages of Brawl.
Bowser Jr.'s entire moveset is based on appearances made after Brawl.
Little Mac saw a significant rebirth after Brawl.
Palutena was an incredibly minor character before Brawl.

Outside of the third party characters, the only newcomers in SSB4 that could have been in Brawl as they are now are Duck Hunt, Villager, and the Miis (and maybe Little Mac). SSB4's newcomer roster is weighted very heavily to the most recent of Nintendo, more so than any other SSB.

That would make next Smash more interesting because it's pretty hard to tell what's going to happens with low numbers of Nintendo games for Wii U but I believe that 3DS is just fine as it is.

Celica-Lambda-11-and-Ridley-confirmed-for-BlazBlue-random-37820897-810-410.jpg

MagnesD3

That would make next Smash more interesting because it's pretty hard to tell what's going to happens with low numbers of Nintendo games for Wii U but I believe that 3DS is just fine as it is.
Wouldn't it be crazy If Nintendo had to pick more popular and older characters, what an insane thought.

Dr. Buni

It would be definitely crazy to pick old and irrelevant characters over newer and popular ones, especially when Smash is pretty much a way of Nintendo promoting some of its other games. Unless this old and popular character still holds relevance to current games... like Dixie Kong :p

Do you have access to the same results, in multiple languages, as Sakurai and his team? If so, I'd love to see them. Playing "your hearsay is better than mine" doesn't accomplish anything - and that's what random internet fan polls amount to. Hearsay.

You can continue to believe we live in a world where K. Rool is a beloved icon that Nintendo fans been desperate to see return for years, and Monster Hunter is a niche franchise that barely ranks, but I think any rational person outside of the Smash Bros. echo chamber would agree that we don't.

the fan polls I look at have their flaws but you are literally saying I Think This And That Character Is Popular In Japan Therefore All Those Costumes are Consolation, making a judgment on a whole region based on nothing! Different things entirely

It would be definitely crazy to pick old and irrelevant characters over newer and popular ones, especially when Smash is pretty much a way of Nintendo promoting some of its other games. Unless this old and popular character still holds relevance to current games... like Dixie Kong :p

The promotion feels like it has no heart some times though.

Dr. Buni

Like who? Bubbles from Clu Clu land?

What old characters are even left that aren't in Smash?
There are quite a lot of old characters not in Smash yet. The thing is that most of them are largely irrelevant, obscure and unpopular, so they have no change of getting in Smash.
Perhaps it's just me, but there is little incentive to a new Super Smash Bros. game. I'd rather them just update the game we have.
I agree.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Perhaps it's just me, but there is little incentive to a new Super Smash Bros. game. I'd rather them just update the game we have.

Well, I'm fine with either. I'm not picky.

Hell, Port Smash 4 to next console, and doing Killer Instinct/Street Fighter V update for like a year or two years with stages, contents and characters, then call it for a day.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yep, Going with 3DS and Wii U.

1. Splatoon's Inkling (If they didn't become DLC)
2. Rhythm Heaven Representative
3. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze) (If she didn't become DLC)
4. Takamaru
5. Ice Climbers

I guess we could have Chibi Robo, Impa and Excitebiker. Maybe *gasp* Chibi Blocky Ridley (inspired by Metroid: Federation Force.)

Dr. Buni

A new Smash means new cuts, so I'd rather they either directly port the game or just keep updating the Wii U version.
No cuts means less new characters, unless they start to completely ignore balance and the competitive aspect of the game.
Yep, Going with 3DS and Wii U.

1. Splatoon's Inkling (If they didn't become DLC)
2. Rhythm Heaven Representative
3. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze) (If she didn't become DLC)
4. Takamaru
5. Ice Climbers

I guess we could have Chibi Robo, Impa and Excitebiker. Maybe *gasp* Chibi Blocky Ridley (inspired by Metroid: Federation Force.)
Takamaru? He kind goes in the "old and irrelevant" group of characters. Don't get me wrong, I think he would be a cool addition to the roster (though I would prefer Lip), but...

Also, what about Isaac? Surprised you didn't mention him yet.

Azure J

Thought processes like this are a part of the reason I'm slowly drifting away from enjoying Smash (edit: this sounds like I'm saying "muh characters" over the game play, but I can't help it). I love when Smash decides to take something from the most obscure corners of Nintendo's history, gives them a nice touch up and a new set of clothes and says "wanna be a star again?" This is even moreso important to be because these characters usually fill niches that don't exist in the roster's combat design due to having the most potential for open interpretation. They also act as a nice foil to expected characters in that they usuall appear to mass "wtf why" only to fully integrate and become "Smash Family" before a month has passed. (Think how Ice Climbers, Game & Watch & even Wii Fit Trainer [probably the least "obscure" but most "what" entrant in Smash 4] developed)

If Smash ever reaches the point where I can guess every character coming in based solely on how new and shiny they are/their franchise is, the character aspect of the series is dead to me.

Dr. Buni

Ok? If no cuts means less new comers, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Me too. We seem to be the exception, though. Others seem to want the next Smash to have even more newcomers than Smash 4.
Though processes like this are a part of the reason I'm slowly drifting away from enjoying Smash. I love when Smash decides to take something from the most obscure corners of Nintendo's history, gives them a nice touch up and a new set of clothes and says "wanna be a star again?"

If Smash ever reaches the point where I can guess every character coming in based on how new and shiny they are, the character aspect of the series is dead to me.
Yeah, I am with you. Smash 4 made it even more clear that the series is a way of Nintendo promoting their newer stuff and that bothered me a lot. I kinda came to terms with the idea, though. As long as Nintendo keep making cool new characters like Inklings, then fine by me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No cuts means less new characters, unless they start to completely ignore balance and the competitive aspect of the game.

Takamaru? He kind goes in the "old and irrelevant" group of characters. Don't get me wrong, I think he would be a cool addition to the roster (though I would prefer Lip), but...

Also, what about Isaac? Surprised you didn't mention him yet.

Well, Takamaru have been appeared in several games lately but I'm not saying that it would shoehorn him into playable status. At least, Sakurai did considered him several times so I wonder if he would decide to put Takamaru in the game because his game finally came out in EU and NA. His only excuse against Takamaru that we are not familiar with the game but it's not legit excuse anymore.

Yes, I'm fan of Isaac but at least, I'm very realistic about his chance being playable character. His third game bombed so hard, and he haven't been relevant for awhile so I don't think he would become playable character. Apparently the company don't mind to make 4th game so he asked the fans to make the noise or something like that for Golden Sun 4. If 4th game actually happens, then his chance might become better.

I think Chrom, Viridi, Lloyd, Isabelle, Monster Hunter, Toad, and yes, K. Rool were all popular suggestions before and during the ballot. I think their popularity is the biggest reason for their inclusion as costumes. Particularly in Japan, where they're all well-loved games/series/characters.

Does this mean they can't or won't be included as full-fledged characters? Of course not. But it's like Ridley's shadow or Chrom in Robin's Final Smash - a heavy indication of their ultimate fate. "If they were planning X, why would they also do Y?"

X doesn't prevent them from doing Y, so that's faulty logic. Obviously you ignored my list, because outside of Inkling and K. Rool, all of the first party characters already have roles in the game. Hell, even Dixie is a Smash Tour item, so I hope they aren't stupid enough to use that as a reason to reject her. Chrom being in Robin's Final Smash prevents him from being a playable character. K. Rool's Mii costume does not prevent him from being a playable character. And who knows, maybe Sakurai would have patched Chrom out of Robin's Final Smash if he received enough ballot support, which he didn't. The fans are at fault for that one.

I'm going to ignore any post that uses the "casuals" bogeyman to try and prop up characters like Lloyd Irving. Yeah, I'm sure all of those rabid Tales fans were secretly voting for him in droves and the Lloyd costume is yet another consolation prize. Why is it so hard to believe that casuals barely have an influence on the outcome? Mega Man was included in SSB4 because he was a "highly requested character" according to Sakurai, but I'd wager that most casuals these days have no idea who he is. The term casual is arbitrary because it has no concrete definition. What exactly qualifies as a casual? Somebody who didn't vote for K. Rool? Because it seems people only like to bring up the hypothetical casual crowd to downplay K. Rool's support. "Those dozens of fan polls mean nothing, all of the casuals are voting for Toad and Shadow the Hedgehog." If the polls can't be trusted, then what are we supposed to pay attention to? Hearsay? From the same people who claimed that nobody in Japan cares about Donkey Kong Country? I'll pass.

In fact, community polls suggest that Chrom, Heihachi, and Lloyd are basically non-entities in the ballot. Sourcegaming's preliminary observations of Japanese ballot "outcry" don't even give the characters a mention. Their Februrary observations only mention Chrom. Even then, he does not appear among the top 15. While you may object to the representativeness of these polls, one would actually expect observations in the hardcore community to overestimate Heihachi, Chrom, and Lloyd's popularity given their relative obscurity among "casuals" (especially the latter two). If they barely make a blip in observations of hardcore communities, is it reasonable to believe they received support from casual fans? I don't think so.

Dr. Buni

Well, Takamaru have been appeared in several games lately but I'm not saying that it would shoehorn him into playable status. At least, Sakurai did considered him several times so I wonder if he would decide to put Takamaru in the game because his game finally came out in EU and NA. His only excuse against Takamaru that we are not familiar with the game but it's not legit excuse anymore.

Yes, I'm fan of Isaac but at least, I'm very realistic about his chance being playable character. His third game bombed so hard, and he haven't been relevant for awhile so I don't think he would become playable character. Apparently the company don't mind to make 4th game so he asked the fans to make the noise or something like that for Golden Sun 4. If 4th game actually happens, then his chance might become better.
I see.

I think Isaac is a bit more "likely" than Takamaru, even when considering Dark Dawn bombed. Isaac and his series are more popular and well known, plus even though both Isaac and Takamaru have potential for unique movesets, I think Isaac takes the lead in this aspect as well. That being said, they would both be interesting additions to the roster, but at the same time, they aren't characters I care that much about. So idk.

You know, perhaps the votes for Isaac in the ballot could at least guarantee him a new game for the 3DS, regardless of he getting in Smash or not.

You know, perhaps the votes for Isaac in the ballot could at least guarantee him a new game for the 3DS, regardless of he getting in Smash or not.

I can see that happening. One of the reasons why I've been so vocal in my support of K. Rool is because I want him to return to DKC where he belongs, which seems inevitable at this point.

I can see that happening. One of the reasons why I've been so vocal in my support of K. Rool is because I want him to return to DKC where he belongs, which seems inevitable at this point.

At least I know who to blame if Retro makes another DKC and does something like Star Fox Adventures where the "villain" of that game is copped out and King K. Rool is the true villain in the end.

:p

Azure J

Can I talk about this for a bit? Hasn't it seemed as though the lead up to Smash 4, we had a good bit of people who knew who he was (because we're all nerds here) and supported/liked the idea of his inclusion in the playable roster, but then with the DLC campaign, his popularity and visibility had a small explosion? I can't cite how many people have managed to move out of apathy or even outright rejection to acceptance and a desire to see more from the character recently. It feels weird, especially in the face of the "no more sword characters/blue hairs [why didn't they just make him black haired]" brigade and the increasing trend away from vintage characters to the new hotness.

Taka's recent popularity is by no means colossal, not in a world where Inklings, K. Rool, Shantae/Shovel Knight, Bandanna Dee exist, but the idea that it's been consistent and slowly picking up is pretty neat for a character and franchise that "was not very widely known" or whatever it was Sakurai said exactly in that Nico interview.

MagnesD3

Thought processes like this are a part of the reason I'm slowly drifting away from enjoying Smash (edit: this sounds like I'm saying "muh characters" over the game play, but I can't help it). I love when Smash decides to take something from the most obscure corners of Nintendo's history, gives them a nice touch up and a new set of clothes and says "wanna be a star again?" This is even moreso important to be because these characters usually fill niches that don't exist in the roster's combat design due to having the most potential for open interpretation. They also act as a nice foil to expected characters in that they usuall appear to mass "wtf why" only to fully integrate and become "Smash Family" before a month has passed. (Think how Ice Climbers, Game & Watch & even Wii Fit Trainer [probably the least "obscure" but most "what" entrant in Smash 4] developed)

If Smash ever reaches the point where I can guess every character coming in based solely on how new and shiny they are/their franchise is, the character aspect of the series is dead to me.
As far as I'm concerned the character aspect is already dead to me. The only thing left in this husk is promotion for newer Nintendo games.

Dr. Buni

At least I know who to blame if Retro makes another DKC and does something like Star Fox Adventures where the "villain" of that game is copped out and King K. Rool is the true villain in the end.

:p
Many people were expecting that to happen in Tropical Freeze. I remember theories about Lord Fredrik being K. Rool in disguise. That would have been cool.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Takamaru is well known now.

As a Mii costume in Nintendoland.

So ironically he won't even get that in Smash.

So concerning those tweets, even assuming Roger DiLuigi is in the know, all of the supposed actual information is coming from that Stealth_ guy, who I have seen no one vouch for the validity of. Roger hasn't said anything regarding Smash Bros. So who's that Stealth_ guy, and why would he know anything?

Richie

Beautiful post. It is indeed an aspect of the series I'll cherish for as long as I play games. Let 'em come back into the world, let's lend personalities of eras long gone a hand out of oblivion. Give them chance sales didn't grant them, give them a spotlight alongside the likes of Mario and Pikachu, to show the mainstream just how interesting they can be, sparking interest into their original series.

jph139

X doesn't prevent them from doing Y, so that's faulty logic. Obviously you ignored my list, because outside of Inkling and K. Rool, all of the first party characters already have roles in the game. Hell, even Dixie is a Smash Tour item, so I hope they aren't stupid enough to use that as a reason to reject her. Chrom being in Robin's Final Smash prevents him from being a playable character. K. Rool's Mii costume does not prevent him from being a playable character. And who knows, maybe Sakurai would have patched Chrom out of Robin's Final Smash if he received enough ballot support, which he didn't. The fans are at fault for that one.

I'm going to ignore any post that uses the "casuals" bogeyman to try and prop up characters like Lloyd Irving. Yeah, I'm sure all of those rabid Tales fans were secretly voting for him in droves and the Lloyd costume is yet another consolation prize. Why is it so hard to believe that casuals barely have an influence on the outcome? Mega Man was included in SSB4 because he was a "highly requested character" according to Sakurai, but I'd wager that most casuals these days have no idea who he is. The term casual is arbitrary because it has no concrete definition. What exactly qualifies as a casual? Somebody who didn't vote for K. Rool? Because it seems people only like to bring up the hypothetical casual crowd to downplay K. Rool's support. "Those dozens of fan polls mean nothing, all of the casuals are voting for Toad and Shadow the Hedgehog." If the polls can't be trusted, then what are we supposed to pay attention to? Hearsay? From the same people who claimed that nobody in Japan cares about Donkey Kong Country? I'll pass.

I agree with your first point completely - I'm just a pessimist. "If Sakurai was going to include Chrom, he wouldn't use him in a Final Smash." "If Sakurai was going to include K. Rool, he wouldn't use him as a costume." Neither of these things preclude a playable appearance, but they suggest to me that it's a low priority.

As for the second - Smash forum polls are essentially hearsay. They're such a small portion of the Smash consumer base it's ridiculous. You may as well ask for a show of hands from your friends this weekend.

In general, I'd say you should look at "What do Nintendo fans want?" Let's take the classic Famitsu poll that gets tossed around. Is it 100% accurate to "We want this character in Smash?" No. But I would argue that we can make the assumption that the same subset of fans that submits to a Famitsu poll is going to submit to the Smash ballot.

But that's 100% bullshit, just like any other poll or assumption anyone is making. You don't know who's getting the most votes. I don't know. No one outside of Nintendo knows. What data you choose to accept or disregard is pretty much a crapshoot.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Can I talk about this for a bit? Hasn't it seemed as though the lead up to Smash 4, we had a good bit of people who knew who he was (because we're all nerds here) and supported/liked the idea of his inclusion in the playable roster, but then with the DLC campaign, his popularity and visibility had a small explosion? I can't cite how many people have managed to move out of apathy or even outright rejection to acceptance and a desire to see more from the character recently. It feels weird, especially in the face of the "no more sword characters/blue hairs [why didn't they just make him black haired]" brigade and the increasing trend away from vintage characters to the new hotness.

Taka's recent popularity is by no means colossal, not in a world where Inklings, K. Rool, Shantae/Shovel Knight, Bandanna Dee exist, but the idea that it's been consistent and slowly picking up is pretty neat for a character and franchise that "was not very widely known" or whatever it was Sakurai said exactly in that Nico interview.

Sure, I love to discuss about Takamaru. Right, almost all of us are smash nerds, so we would know almost every obscure characters. Heck, I know Demiru from Tomato Adventure. Well, I think there are small explosion in his popularity because Nintendo finally released his game in EU and NA.

Yeah, that's a huge problem with some closed-minded fans where they wanted to write Takamaru off because they don't want to see more sword characters, blue headed characters and etc. It's more of "I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM IN THE GAME BECAUSE HES GOIGN TO TAKE MY FAVORITE CHARACTER'S SPOT! LET COME UP WITH LAME EXCUSE SO I WOULDNT LOOK STUPID! I DON"T WANT HIM IN THE GAME BECAUSE HMMM YEAH HE HAVE BLUE HAIRS LIKE IKE AND MARTH. THATS TOO MUCH!"

Yes, Takamaru's supporters base isn't that huge. What is more powerful than ballots for Takamaru is that Sakurai actually briefly considered him more than once so that's good thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, did Sakurai publicly expressed that he's interested in Takamaru? We know that Takamaru is definitely on Sakurai's mind. It's matter of when Sakurai would add him in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom