• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I was gonna check, but then I started to watch the one from January of this year where Iwata wishes us the best for this brand new year.

And now I'm sad.

Edit: It looks like there was no DLC announcement for Smash in the January Direct from this past year. They still had mention of the game, by way of amiibo, however.

:(

Though at least it sorta confirms Smash is always in Directs post-release.

Richie

Man, if Banjo and Kazooie get in Smash it will be Duck Hunt all over again. Everyone ignoring the fact it's a duo character (trio in Duck Hunt's case), calling them "he" and ignoring the Kazooie, like they ignore the duck. Shame. Nways, I support the idea, but give us Inklings first.

No way, Kazooie is by far the most memorable out of the duo, gurl is one of the most hilarious characters in videogamedom. If anything I think people would abbreviate 'em as BK and go with "they" a lá Ice Climbers.

No way, Kazooie is by far the most memorable out of the duo, gurl is one of the most hilarious characters in videogamedom. If anything I think people would abbreviate 'em as BK and go with "they" a lá Ice Climbers.

The problem with BK/DHd is that the bird is noticeably smaller. This is actually important. If the mammal is going to hit and get hit most of the time, the bird will not receive top billing because why would it?

NotLiquid

I'm feeling it guys. I had a dream last night and I saw the DLC newcomers. We're getting three characters.

Young Roy, Young Ganondorf and Speedwagon.

Dr. Buni

All the Banjo-Kazooie threads I read tell me the opposite. People love to refer to the duo as "Banjo" and he, which is... really weird. And I agree that Kazooie is the most memorable.

Anyways, glad to see Sakurai tweeted about the Direct!
The best space animal is coming.

...please use the brawl VA, please use the brawl VA, please use the brawl VA, please use the brawl VA,
Yes, please. Wolf's voice was perfect in Brawl. Please don't change it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm feeling it guys. I had a dream last night and I saw the DLC newcomers. We're getting three characters.

Young Roy, Young Ganondorf and Speedwagon.

What would Speedwagon do, throw his buzzsaw hat and call his Ogre Alley peeps? Do hammy commentary?
Never get laid?

woopWOOP

I'd buy Speedwagon for the taunts alone, where he constantly commentates how the other players are fighting.

Only downside would be that I wasted all that time on my Speedwagon Mii fighter already

Ryu, Roy and Lucas were available immediately after the Direct last time weren't they? I seem to remember the Nintendo E-Shop dying for a few hours.

Hoping for a repeat of the former (not the latter) tonight.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mewtwo is an anomaly and shouldn't really be considered. He was announced as an incentive to buy both versions rather than a pure DLC announcement.

Today is my late day at work. Means I'm leaving at 4:45 (EST) or so.

I should have enough time to get home (~10 minute commute), but my stupid computer is going to take 5-10 minutes to boot.

Ugh

I guess I have my iPad, probably use that while the PC boots.

Dr. Buni

Tomorrow is my late day at work, which means if the DLC is released tonight, I will have to wait until tomorrow night to have a good time with it ;_;

Well, assuming that 1. They will announce DLC character(s) and 2. I care about the character(s).

Today is my late day at work. Means I'm leaving at 4:45 (EST) or so.

I should have enough time to get home (~10 minute commute), but my stupid computer is going to take 5-10 minutes to boot.

Ugh

I guess I have my iPad, probably use that while the PC boots.

Don't feel bad. I'm probably not going to get around to watching the Direct until and hour or so after the stream. Unfortunately I'll have to be late when the inevitable Slime shock reveal happens.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cool peeps watch it via the Wii U browser.

Also, I have no hype. Through years of training I have reached the level of enlightenment where I can be excited in moderation.

NotLiquid

Cool peeps watch it via the Wii U browser.

Also, I have no hype. Through years of training I have reached the level of enlightenment where I can be excited in moderation.

To be honest I'm surprised I'm not more resilient.

Looking back at the Smash 4 roster when the ESRB leak happened... There's not a single Smash 4 newcomer that had me excited or salivating for the game to the point of unbearable wait. The characters LOOKED nice and in the end I love to play with a lot of the newcomers like Pac-Man, WFT, Mega Man and Ryu, but I really didn't get anyone I hoped for.

I'm honestly not expecting anything I really asked for tonight. The only character I could ask for as DLC is Inklings but for reasons I'm now doubting that's happening anytime soon.

Ryce

There's not a single Smash 4 newcomer that had me excited or salivating for the game to the point of unbearable wait. The characters LOOKED nice and in the end I love to play with a lot of the newcomers like Pac-Man, WFT, Mega Man and Ryu, but I really didn't get anyone I hoped for.
I really lucked out with the newcomers. I absolutely love Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr., and Wii Fit Trainer.

Bowser Jr, Mii Sword Fighter and Little Mac, plus Doc returning and Charizard not being tied to a silly gimmick were all hype for me.

Except these days I mostly just play Toon Link, Doc, Mewtwo and Roy lol

I must have had like 100 games as Mac on the 3DS before even touching another character though. And I had wanted Jr since Brawl, but kind of gave up since he seemed to be with Kamek and other random boss characters. I was expecting a paint based semi-Bowser clone type move set, never dreamed of something as unique as what we ended up with.

Every Smash they manage to cut my mains, with Brawl it was Doc and Mewtwo. Seeing Doc back made me so happy.

And then Smash 4 cuts one of my Brawl mains, Wolf...

My most wanted characters were Little Mac and Palutena. I do play both a lot, but only the latter when customs are on.

When playing as LM I always pick what I like to call the "Super Wireframe Mac" palette.

jvHTJEam.jpg

kirby_fox

Banned
Bowser Jr, Mii Sword Fighter and Little Mac, plus Doc returning and Charizard not being tied to a silly gimmick were all hype for me.

Except these days I mostly just play Toon Link, Doc, Mewtwo and Roy lol

I must have had like 100 games as Mac on the 3DS before even touching another character though. And I had wanted Jr since Brawl, but kind of gave up since he seemed to be with Kamek and other random boss characters. I was expecting a paint based semi-Bowser clone type move set, never dreamed of something as unique as what we ended up with.

Every Smash they manage to cut my mains, with Brawl it was Doc and Mewtwo. Seeing Doc back made me so happy.

And then Smash 4 cuts one of my Brawl mains, Wolf...

Doc and Roy, Pokemon Trainer and Lucas where ice climbers were becoming my third go to because they'll never cut ice climbers...

I already expect Robin and Duck Hunt to be cut from the next game. Maybe Villager too.

Villager won't go anywhere. Animal Crossing has become one of Nintendo's flagship series. They'll cut half of the Mario roster before Villager gets the axe.

Same goes for Robin. Ike, Roy and Lucina are more likely to get cut than Robin. Only Marth is more safe.

Dr. Buni

No one is going to be cut in the next Smash. If anything, we will get only a handful of newcomers, keeping the Smash 4 vanilla roster + DLC intact.

Villager being cut is a ridiculous idea, AC is reaaaally popular.

Doc and Roy, Pokemon Trainer and Lucas where ice climbers were becoming my third go to because they'll never cut ice climbers...

I already expect Robin and Duck Hunt to be cut from the next game. Maybe Villager too.

....why would any of those characters go?

Saying Duck Hunt is going to get cut reminds me of people who thought Mr. G&W would be cut from Brawl or R.O.B would be cut from Smash 4. These are all classic retro characters Sakurai put in to represent Nintendo's history and unlike Ice Climbers, there are no technical issues they'd have to work around with.

The only way Robin will be cut is if they have extreme time constraints or something. He's a fully unique character that Sakurai obviously put a lot of thought and time into and I don't see him throwing all the way. And LOL at the thought of Villager being cut. Might as well cut Link.

I was pretty happy to see Rosalina, Lucina, Palu and Robin added as it meant this would be the first smash where I didn't just play Zelda all the time :p

Palu dissapointed me for various reasons I've already covered a few times in these threads and while I can play Ros fairly effectively I just don't feel her for some reason. Lucy and Robin constantly contend for my mains at the moment so they're still great :3

The only character I'd get super hype for that I think stands any real chance is inklings. Especially if they have stuff like 'woomy!' as their taunts :D
My highly unlikely bringers of hype are Ashley, Lip, Viridi, Goombella, Mawile, Lilligant, Midna, Roll, Isabelle and Marina Lightyears :p
That all said, I'd happily play Shantae or Dixie Kong.

Due to them not wanting to ship a lot of patches for the 3DS, I kind of expect there to be more than one DLC character released.

Like, probably Wolf, Inklings and then a surprise character from the ballot.

Or three completely surprise characters, who can even tell anymore.

No one is going to be cut in the next Smash. If anything, we will get only a handful of newcomers, keeping the Smash 4 vanilla roster + DLC intact.

I wouldn't say "no one", time constraints and whatnot for sure are going to be an issue but even if characters would get cut, they would come back as DLC. It's free money for Nintendo, really.

And there's quite a few characters that I can see getting the axe - Dark Pit and Lucina unless given more ways to differentiate them from their origin movesets seem to be first in line, followed by Doctor Mario. Beyond those 3, I can only really think of low priority characters like Falco or Lucas getting the axe, and perhaps Shulk and maybe one of the Mario characters - particularly Jr. - being potential candidates, along with third parties in general due to licensing disagreements.

But that's really it. I do not think any of the other characters will be cut. And any characters that ARE cut will obviously come back as DLC (unless third party).

I can only really think of low priority characters like Falco or Lucas getting the axe, and perhaps Shulk and maybe one of the Mario characters - particularly Jr. - being potential candidates, along with third parties in general due to licensing disagreements.

Falco has been in Smash for three games by this point. Sakurai knows he has fans and I don't think he sees him as a low priority.

I don't see Shulk being a "low priority" character especially since he represents his own series.

Falco has been in Smash for three games by this point. Sakurai knows he has fans and I don't think he sees him as a low priority.

I don't see Shulk being a "low priority" character especially since he represents his own series.

Ice Climbers have been in the same amount of games as Falco up until Smash 4, and they represented their own series.

kirby_fox

Banned
...I only said those were getting cut because I enjoy playing as them and my mains have a history of getting cut. I uh, wasn't being too serious about it guys.

wait where

Google "Wolf and Squid" and there's at least two.

Which is more than I ever expected.

And there's quite a few characters that I can see getting the axe - Dark Pit and Lucina unless given more ways to differentiate them from their origin movesets seem to be first in line, followed by Doctor Mario. Beyond those 3, I can only really think of low priority characters like Falco or Lucas getting the axe, and perhaps Shulk and maybe one of the Mario characters - particularly Jr. - being potential candidates, along with third parties in general due to licensing disagreements.
The only reason clones were cut in Brawl was because Sakurai felt for Brawl, there wasn't going to be any "true" clones, so every clone required changes to be a semi-clone. Combine that with the Subspace and Sonic draining resources like a black hole, and you're left with cut clones.

If Sakurai doesn't feel he needs to make the clones in semi-clones, they'd probably have a really good chance of returning based on how easy they are to implement.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I didn't have a dream character for Smash 4., which was why all my roster images were full of joke no hopers. I just took what I got. Wii Fit Trainer was the early surprise that really got me excited.

I guess I could consider Jimmy T or a Rhythm Tengoku rep as my dream characters still to be.

...I only said those were getting cut because I enjoy playing as them and my mains have a history of getting cut. I uh, wasn't being too serious about it guys.

Ah, sorry about that, man.

I just kinda snapped there because I always see people claiming characters like Robin or Duck Hunt are going to be cut despite the fact that axing neither wouldn't make much sense. The only characters that I can see maybe getting cut next time are the clones and the third parties. But even then nothing's guranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom