• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the Inklings or a Rhythm Heaven rep. I like Dixie Kong a lot, but representing a new game and genre should be a priority imo. The stage for Inklings should be Inkopolis Plaza (I like the looks of it and it is the most iconic location in the game) and for a RH rep... Really, I have no idea, probably a stage constantly changing through the match, like in the remixes?

Yessssss to a Rhythm Heaven character, as well as the stage being a Rhythm Remix kind of deal

Tyeforce

There's a little piece of me that's holding onto hope that we'll finally get a Rhythm Heaven localization announcement alongside a Smash Bros. Rhythm Heaven DLC character trailer...

There's a little piece of me that's holding onto hope that we'll finally get a Rhythm Heaven localization announcement alongside a Smash Bros. Rhythm Heaven DLC character trailer...

That'd be amazing, and not too incredibly farfetched if Sakurai decided to continue working on the planned RH character as DLC.

Dr. Buni

Since Rhythm Heaven is not that well known in the west, it would be interesting reading the reactions here on NeoGAF. I doubt it will happen, but I want to believe.

Tyeforce

Since Rhythm Heaven is not that well known in the west, it would be interesting reading the reactions here on NeoGAF. I doubt it will happen, but I want to believe.
It would be a fantastic way to raise awareness of the franchise outside of Japan, and Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus is the best game to do that with, too, since it's, well...the best of the series, plus more, lol. Rhythm Heaven in Smash Bros. is exactly the kind of thing the franchise needs to pick up popularity outside of Japan, and it's probably the most deserving Nintendo franchise that doesn't have a character in Smash Bros. yet, too, so it would all work out so perfectly.

Here's my personal wish that I will be furious and call Sakurai a hack if unfulfilled:

Characters
- Wolf
- Ice Climber(s) (However the hell they get it to work I don't care)
- Inkling

I said it before. That would fit the same Melee Vet/Brawl Vet/Newcomer pattern that we saw with Roy, Lucas and Ryu. Plus they're all first-party, so no futzing around with third parties/TPC.

Also, not only is Star Fox Zero on the horizon, but they're doing a Smash/Splatoon Wii U bundle that's going to be their big Black Friday SKU (in the absence of anything else). They need to push that, so the synergy of a DLC Inkling would make sense.

Hanenbow is one of the worst stages ever but I can't help but feel somewhat bad it ended up getting cut. The thing is, it was the only major piece of representation Electroplankton had in Smash Bros. It and Metal Gear are both the only emblem based series to be completely removed between installments.

Technically Ice Climber too, but you can argue that's still represented through trophies, music and in Smash Run. Electroplankton and MGS have nothing left.

kirby_fox

Banned
Since I predicted when the Direct was going to be, let's see how psychic I really am.

- Custom moves are coming to DLC characters. While not mentioned in the direct, the update will also stop duplicate moves from showing up in-game now so they are slightly easier to unlock. Likely going to see them drop more frequently too.
- We get dates for Lucas' amiibo which is exclusive to GameStop. Lucas will launch in Japan this December, while in North America & Europe it'll show up in late January.
- Ryu and Roy to launch soon after in early February.
- This leads to showing Wolf, who is returning! Along with a new Star Fox stage. His amiibo launches alongside Star Fox Zero in February.
- We get some more costumes for the Miis: Adventurer Outfit (all), Isaac (Swordfighter), Wonder Red (Brawler), Impa (Swordfighter), Ray 01 (Gunner), Shovel Knight (Swordfighter), Prof Layton (Brawler)
- Ends with Sakurai thanking everyone for voting. They have been working hard at creating DLC for the game, but it is time to end the with one last update for early 2016. "It was difficult to pick which character was truly the most popular. Those who got the most votes, might not necessarily work for Smash Bros. gameplay. We had a lot of votes for characters that had been in the game already too, so choosing fans of playable characters who were cut over fans of those not in the game was a difficult decision. Please, take a look."
- Trailer showcases the final DLC: Wolf, Pichu, Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Balloon Fighter, and Ashley. All have stages shown (some returning, 6 in total) plus 2 more stages. Pichu, Toad and Balloon Fighter available immediately after direct, Wolf, Dixie Kong and Ashley available in February. Their amiibo will all launch in February.

I expect this to be 100% wrong.

Ryce

Hanenbow is one of the worst stages ever but I can't help but feel somewhat bad it ended up getting cut. The thing is, it was the only major piece of representation Electroplankton had in Smash Bros. It and Metal Gear are both the only emblem based series to be completely removed between installments.

Technically Ice Climber too, but you can argue that's still represented through trophies, music and in Smash Run. Electroplankton and MGS have nothing left.
I'm not targeting you, but I don't know why there's this weird mythologizing of "emblem based series" as if having one means anything special. The only reason Electroplankton has an emblem is because every stage needs one for the sake of aestheticism. Representing a series with a character is a big deal, but all it takes to get an emblem is a stage. Electroplankton is no more integral to the Smash Bros. canon than Golden Sun, Drill Dozer, or any other property with some form of gameplay integration.

I'm not targeting you, but I don't know why there's this weird mythologizing of "emblem based series" as if having one means anything special. The only reason Electroplankton has an emblem is because every stage needs one for the sake of aestheticism. Representing a series with a character is a big deal, but all it takes to get an emblem is a stage. Electroplankton is no more integral to the Smash Bros. canon than Golden Sun, Drill Dozer, or any other property with some form of gameplay integration.

Yeah, I guess. Smash 4 was the first game to cut out emblems, though, and I find it kinda sadder than losing an AT for some reason.

And funny enough, Golden Sun still does actually have some representation in Smash in the form of music. The remix from Brawl still plays on Norfair and the Overworld theme from Dark Dawn plays on Palutena's Temple.

Since I predicted when the Direct was going to be, let's see how psychic I really am.

- Custom moves are coming to DLC characters. While not mentioned in the direct, the update will also stop duplicate moves from showing up in-game now so they are slightly easier to unlock. Likely going to see them drop more frequently too.
- We get dates for Lucas' amiibo which is exclusive to GameStop. Lucas will launch in Japan this December, while in North America & Europe it'll show up in late January.
- Ryu and Roy to launch soon after in early February.
- This leads to showing Wolf, who is returning! Along with a new Star Fox stage. His amiibo launches alongside Star Fox Zero in February.
- We get some more costumes for the Miis: Adventurer Outfit (all), Isaac (Swordfighter), Wonder Red (Brawler), Impa (Swordfighter), Ray 01 (Gunner), Shovel Knight (Swordfighter), Prof Layton (Brawler)
- Ends with Sakurai thanking everyone for voting. They have been working hard at creating DLC for the game, but it is time to end the with one last update for early 2016. "It was difficult to pick which character was truly the most popular. Those who got the most votes, might not necessarily work for Smash Bros. gameplay. We had a lot of votes for characters that had been in the game already too, so choosing fans of playable characters who were cut over fans of those not in the game was a difficult decision. Please, take a look."
- Trailer showcases the final DLC: Wolf, Pichu, Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Balloon Fighter, and Ashley. All have stages shown (some returning, 6 in total) plus 2 more stages. Pichu, Toad and Balloon Fighter available immediately after direct, Wolf, Dixie Kong and Ashley available in February. Their amiibo will all launch in February.

I expect this to be 100% wrong.

WVW69if69u4KSxdFvG

Ok, so this is now Kirby_Fox's official leak. Someone post it on gamefaqs and we can watch them kill each other over it :3

kirby_fox

Banned
Ok, so this is now Kirby_Fox's official leak. Someone post it on gamefaqs and we can watch them kill each other over it :3

Great, now I fear what'll happen if all this comes true now. Or doesn't come true.
For the record, I have never had any insider credentials whatsoever and the previous post is speculation.

Dr. Buni

Man, if Banjo and Kazooie get in Smash it will be Duck Hunt all over again. Everyone ignoring the fact it's a duo character (trio in Duck Hunt's case), calling them "he" and ignoring the Kazooie, like they ignore the duck. Shame. Nways, I support the idea, but give us Inklings first.

I'll take Banjo in a heartbeat. C'mon Microsoft.

If Sakurai said to me "you can have any character that has existed in Smash, no rules at all"

I'd pick Banjo.

Manly tears would be shed for Banjo and Kazooie and their world being in Smash. If even for only one game.

The only reason Banjo wasn't my #1 most wanted character for the last three games was because he seems so unlikely.

Sponge

Banned
If Sakurai said to me "you can have any character that has existed in Smash, no rules at all"

I'd pick Banjo.

Manly tears would be shed for Banjo and Kazooie and their world being in Smash. If even for only one game.

The only reason Banjo wasn't my #1 most wanted character for the last three games was because he seems so unlikely.

For a while I was trying to justify Yooka-Laylee in Smash but honestly, their game isn't even out yet. I think they would make sense to add but not a year ahead of their game release.

Banjo would be amazing because I've wanted him since 64. It would be a dream come true.

For a while I was trying to justify Yooka-Laylee in Smash but honestly, their game isn't even out yet. I think they would make sense to add but not a year ahead of their game release.

Banjo would be amazing because I've wanted him since 64. It would be a dream come true.

12 year old me was so confused why Banjo wasn't in Melee.

He was huge! He was Nintendo! Where was he? Everyone was in this game! Why was the games never even mentioned?

It wouldn't be until years later I learned why :(

Sponge

Banned

He was huge! He was Nintendo! Where was he? Everyone was in this game! Why was the games never even mentioned?

Yeah I didn't find out about Rare's buyout until middle school. I was always wondering why we didn't get a Threeie and why Jungle Beat was the way it was :(

Also, to be fair you had every right to not support Banjo until the ballot. It's almost like asking for Kratos or Ratchet in Smash. He is technically owned by a competitor, but hey if we can get Minecraft on Wii U (Story Mode is already confirmed for Wii U) I don't see why we can't have Banjo in Smash.

JazzmanZ

Yeah I didn't find out about Rare's buyout until middle school. I was always wondering why we didn't get a Threeie and why Jungle Beat was the way it was :(

Also, to be fair you had every right to not support Banjo until the ballot. It's almost like asking for Kratos or Ratchet in Smash. He is technically owned by a competitor, but hey if we can get Minecraft on Wii U (Story Mode is already confirmed for Wii U) I don't see why we can't have Banjo in Smash.

Y'know, The Super mario maker files did have data on a Windows logo costume, maybe something between Nintendo and Microsoft is happening behind the scenes?

Drago

Well the Rare buyout wasn't until about a year after Melee's release. Unless Nintendo was aware of the possibility of them being bought in the early planning days for Melee (highly unlikely) I don't think anything was actually stopping them. It had an item from Perfect Dark, after all (or Goldeneye, I forget), was actually credited as such too in the JP version iirc instead of it being TOP SECRET in the west.

Rare was even a category for potential characters in that Japanese Melee poll but surprisingly none of their characters were very popular, except for James Bond of all people lol.

kirby_fox

Banned
Hmm... Since Sm4sh's release, all Direct featured it right?

I was gonna check, but then I started to watch the one from January of this year where Iwata wishes us the best for this brand new year.

And now I'm sad.

Edit: It looks like there was no DLC announcement for Smash in the January Direct from this past year. They still had mention of the game, by way of amiibo, however.

omg i'm so excited but i haven't even thought about which characters i wanna see

but fuck im so excited I love Smash 4

I will take Wolf, Dixie, Issac, or the Inklings or basically anything please let there be a new DLC character tomorrow ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom