• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Banjo and Kazooie was always an odd pairing for me as Banjo became almost ornamental by the end of the game. Whenever I walked it was via kazooie because she was faster. Whenever I attacked I'd often resort to her stuff and her flying was invaluable as well. Banjo might as well have been the one in the backpack as far as I was concerned :p

Kazooie is a lazy bitch what can I say.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The NES was never released in Europe. It makes sense that Mega Man doesn't hold the same type of nostalgia power that it does in the Americas and Japan.

This must be a joke. NES wasn't just released in Europe. It was officially released in Europe twice with differing regional lockout. That said, Nintendo alluded officially to the fact it wasn't such a hit there as in other places.

Of course, behind the Iron Curtain, we got famiclones instead.

I still say it'd be a shame to lose the Ice Climbers completely, especially since work enough was done to get them up on the Wii U version.

Just disable Nana, give Popo a different Up+B, change the damage ratios and call it a day. That'd be even less demanding than porting Wolf over since no work was done on Wolf at all for the base game, and If Sakurai is willing to jettison transformations, then nothing is really sacred, now is it?

I mean, the Wii U's holiday season is just grim (as we've seen by the Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis review thread), and they're counting on Smash and others to really pick up the slack. Why not go all out?

kirby_fox

Banned
I still say it'd be a shame to lose the Ice Climbers completely, especially since work enough was done to get them up on the Wii U version.

Just disable Nana, give Popo a different Up+B, change the damage ratios and call it a day. That'd be even less demanding than porting Wolf over since no work was done on Wolf at all for the base game, and If Sakurai is willing to jettison transformations, then nothing is really sacred, now is it?

I mean, the Wii U's holiday season is just grim (as we've seen by the Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis review thread), and they're counting on Smash and others to really pick up the slack. Why not go all out?

Transformations have been treated like separate characters by Sakurai for awhile. I think it was inevitable for transformations to disappear, so players could focus on one character rather than try to balance multiple movesets. Zero Suit Samus couldn't even be selected on the character screen in Brawl for crying out loud (while you could highlight which Pokemon you wanted to start with or if you wanted Zelda/Sheik).

Ice Climbers have always been portrayed in Smash as a duo. Hearts appear when they high five each other. There's an interesting mechanic around having 2 characters making the player stronger too, that you lose when you go solo Ice Climber. It really is their main part of being a character.

I keep hoping that maybe they release it on Wii U and New 3DS owners because it works on that hardware and would keep this roster parity idea Sakurai had.

We've discussed characters, stages...Do you guys think there's a chance they reveal new game modes in December's Direct?

Incredibly low. Since I've seen Sakurai's pre-development pitch excerpts, I'm pretty sure he wanted very specific things to work and nothing more. Not a philosophy I embrace, but well, it works there apparently.

Richie

Incredibly low. Since I've seen Sakurai's pre-development pitch excerpts, I'm pretty sure he wanted very specific things to work and nothing more. Not a philosophy I embrace, but well, it works there apparently.

That's true. IIRC Sakurai said, of Brawl's development, that from the start he decided what could be done within the allotted time and resources, and what couldn't, fully devoting himself to accomplish the former. Now, Brawl didn't allow for DLC, and he's said he's treating this as a whole new project separate from the main game, but with the limited staff and the thirst for time consuming characters, yeah, game modes seem very unlikely.

At the least I'd really appreciate a stage hazards' switch. I know he's spoken against the idea of it, but it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai's changed his mind in statements of old. Given the stages in All Stars, it really can't be anything too hard to implement. Here's hoping.

woopWOOP

Wolf being one of few characters revealed as last DLC would be kind of 'meh' to me personally, just because I didn't like playing him in Brawl. Probably would skip buying him too if my friend didn't like his playstyle as much. Who knows though, maybe some of those SSB4 tweaks would make me like him better.
Nearly everything else I'm okay with, unless we're getting some Dark Pit/Lucina level clone newcomers *shrug*

Also the Ice Climber NES game was totally rad shut up you heathens

Wolf being revealed I think would be more a sigh of relief for most people and not really a hype reveal like Lucas.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it would just be a different sort of reveal than the other vet DLC.

Edit: Aw yiss, fake leaks are back
Smash Bros. Direct
NA Air Date - 12/3/15
NA Air Time: Est- 9:00AM
The Last Smash Bros. Direct Announcements New Smashing DLC!
New Downloadable Fighters!
New Downloadable Mii Costume Wave 6!
x Final Fantasy VII x Banjo & Kazooie
Sephiroth Mii Sword Fighter Costume, Tifa Mii Brawler Costume - Female. Barret Mii Gunner Costume
Gruntilda Mii Costume
Banjo & Kazooie Tag team in!
Fighter Cloud, Banjo & Kazooie Available for Download 12/3/15 After the Smash Bros.Direct Concludes.
Fighter Wolf Available March 2016
Ballot Winners Are Here!
King K. Rool weighs in! Release TBA
Shovel Knight Futher Details TBA
Isaac Further Details TBA
New Adventure Mode!
New Stages
Midgar
Fountain of Dreams
Corneria Stage Retuns to Wii U! Gruntilda's Lair New Trophies Included!

georly

Wolf being revealed I think would be more a sigh of relief for most people and not really a hype reveal like Lucas.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it would just be a different sort of reveal than the other vet DLC.

Haha nice, I love fake leaks. Can't wait for the day one of these is real and our minds are blown. Not a single direct leak has ever ever ever been real.

RK128

That fake leak is funny :'). If you are adding in new characters like Shovel Knight, Issac and Banjo & Kazooie, you need to have new stages for them! That happened with Ryu and its happening for Cloud; didn't happen with Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy due to stages from those IP (Pokemon, Earthbound/Mother, Fire Emblem) having stages in both versions.

Banjo & Kazooie would get a Spiral Mountain Level, Cloud gets his announced Midgar level, Issac gets a stage based on Golden Sun and Shovel Knight gets a level based on either the Great Plains, Plague Knight's Lab or Enchantress's Castle.

I think Third Parties basically require a new stage. Otherwise they wouldn't have a home for 3DS classic mode.

They could re-purpose another stage as their home, like WFT on the 3DS and ROB in all games, but it would be strange to have Cloud's home stage, for example, be Gaur Plains. Because you couldn't really rationalize it easily, like you can for ROB using Balloon Fight.

I think leaks that mention more than 3 or 4 characters (counting Cloud) are off base a bit and a little too optimistic.

Also it's pointless to announce Wolf now and then not release him for 6 months. Mewtwo was announced that early to hype DLC existing and because of the promotion.

RK128

I think Third Parties basically require a new stage. Otherwise they wouldn't have a home for 3DS classic mode.

They could re-purpose another stage as their home, like WFT on the 3DS and ROB in all games, but it would be strange to have Cloud's home stage, for example, be Gaur Plains. Because you couldn't really rationalize it easily, like you can for ROB using Balloon Fight.

I think leaks that mention more than 3 or 4 characters (counting Cloud) are off base a bit and a little too optimistic.

Also it's pointless to announce Wolf now and then not release him for 6 months. Mewtwo was announced that early to hype DLC existing and because of the promotion.

Yep, in complete agreement with you.

I'm expecting an announcement stating "Six new fighters are coming!" but not all of them after the direct.

Cloud, Wolf, and a surprise character will release after the Smash Direct alongside Midgar and some classic stage + Mii Costumes but that's it for upcoming content for this year.

And releasing Wolf with SF Zero is a good move, but it would be dumb due to everything regarding him likely being fully complete now; just siting on free money in a lot of ways not releasing him now.

And releasing Wolf with SF Zero is a good move, but it would be dumb due to everything regarding him likely being fully complete now; just siting on free money in a lot of ways not releasing him now.

Zero has been delayed too far out for Wolf to be used as promotion any more. They're not going to keep an entirely unrelated team around for 6 extra months for the purpose of what would essentially be a commercial.

If we get Wolf, it'll be independent of Zero. Originally it was probably planned to have them be connected, but Zero is too far out in time now for that to be realistic.

backlot

that leak is so bad. I'm ready for more rumors.

Oh you. He meant other details is wrong. which made whole leak 100% wrong. :p

Or maybe Masked Man is confirming that Cloud isn't in Smash and it was just another one of Sakurai's tricks. Just like he tricked us into believing K. Rool was just going to be a costume.

Fandangox

My wishlist for December:

Wonder Red
But that's not happening, so Mii Costumes are okay.

Solid/Punished/Naked/Returned/Buffed/ Snake.

Hazard Toggle. PLEASE.

Adding Magicant to the Wii U version (but mostly only if Hazard Toggle is a thing)

Classic Classic Mode, to play it closer to how Melee/Brawl/3DS did it.

For Glory alterations so we can chose stages (ideally it'd allow for the hazard-off versions of stages. Allow Mii Fighters in the mode.

Fix tournament mode, like all of it, just

just completely rework Tournament Mode.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Or maybe Masked Man is confirming that Cloud isn't in Smash and it was just another one of Sakurai's tricks. Just like he tricked us into believing K. Rool was just going to be a costume.

Psssh. but imagine the backlash when people found out that Cloud's inclusion was fake? I'm pretty sure that there are some people would be happy about it.

My wishlist for December:

Wonder Red
But that's not happening, so Mii Costumes are okay.

Solid/Punished/Naked/Returned/Buffed/ Snake.

Hazard Toggle. PLEASE.

Adding Magicant to the Wii U version (but mostly only if Hazard Toggle is a thing)

Classic Classic Mode, to play it closer to how Melee/Brawl/3DS did it.

For Glory alterations so we can chose stages (ideally it'd allow for the hazard-off versions of stages. Allow Mii Fighters in the mode.

Fix tournament mode, like all of it, just

just completely rework Tournament Mode.

Best part about Magicant is Flying Man. It was pretty annoying but fun, but yeah, I don't mind to see Hazard toggle to happens because I would love to have Mega Man stage as legal.

Fandangox

Flying Man is a fantastic touch and I love tat it is a thing.

At the same time, its incredibly intrusive so I really, really wish there was an option to turn it off, cause the stage seems like it'd be really fun, not very sure if it would be a legal stage without it though.

Masked Man

I said wow
We all thought we were getting Cloud, but we're actually getting Zack. Sakurai just intentionally supplanted our memories with false information!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We all thought we were getting Cloud, but we're actually getting Zack. Sakurai just intentionally supplanted our memories with false information!

Shushhhh.... You are going to make people wanting Zack even more than Cloud.

tumblr_nb3x91m0GZ1sgligeo2_500.gif

Banjo & Kazooie would get a Spiral Mountain Level, Cloud gets his announced Midgar level, Issac gets a stage based on Golden Sun and Shovel Knight gets a level based on either the Great Plains, Plague Knight's Lab or Enchantress's Castle.

Well it does say Gruntilda's Lair for Banjo.... /desperate

But man if Banjo got in. I'd buy 50 amiibos.

From what I've seen of Source Gaming lately, they don't seem terribly confident in Shovel Knight at all anymore.

If he is somehow still in the game, I have to wonder what the hell kind of circumstances led to that. And I also have to wonder why on earth -Shovel Knight- of all people was the one to be leaked, but Cloud MF Strife was somehow glossed over despite being worked on long enough to have his own stage.

Platy

Found a new leak !

Smash Bros. Direct
NA Air Date - 12/3/15
NA Air Time: Est- 9:00AM
The Last Smash Bros. Direct Announcements New Smashing DLC!
New Downloadable Fighters!
New Downloadable Mii Costume Wave 6!
x Final Fantasy VII x Tetris
Sephiroth Mii Sword Fighter Costume, Tifa Mii Brawler Costume - Female. Barret Mii Gunner Costume
Ushanka Mii Hat
L Tetrimino Drops in !
Fighter Cloud and L Tetrimino Available for Download 12/3/15 After the Smash Bros.Direct Concludes.
Fighter Wolf Available March 2016
Ballot Winners Are Here!
King K. Rool weighs in! Release TBA
Shovel Knight Futher Details TBA
Isaac Further Details TBA
New Adventure Mode!
New Stages
Midgar
Fountain of Dreams
Corneria Stage Retuns to Wii U! Kremlin Palace New Trophies Included!

So ... anyone knows how fake this is ? ;D

I still think Shovel Knight would be pretty neat to see in Smash, but everything surrounding that rumor after Cloud's reveal just seems fishy. Why would someone at Amazon looking through upcoming DLC think SK was a bigger deal than Cloud getting in?

Though I guess you could also argue Xander had no clue Cloud was in before his reveal despite obviously having to go in and record new announcer lines for him, so it's not entirely impossible Cloud was just better kept under-wraps than SK was.

Transformations have been treated like separate characters by Sakurai for awhile. I think it was inevitable for transformations to disappear, so players could focus on one character rather than try to balance multiple movesets. Zero Suit Samus couldn't even be selected on the character screen in Brawl for crying out loud (while you could highlight which Pokemon you wanted to start with or if you wanted Zelda/Sheik).

Ice Climbers have always been portrayed in Smash as a duo. Hearts appear when they high five each other. There's an interesting mechanic around having 2 characters making the player stronger too, that you lose when you go solo Ice Climber. It really is their main part of being a character.

I keep hoping that maybe they release it on Wii U and New 3DS owners because it works on that hardware and would keep this roster parity idea Sakurai had.

That's all immaterial, because the outcome is the same either way. We'd get the moveset in a compromised form as opposed to not getting it at all. See?

And if this is indeed the last of the DLC, we won't be getting any characters for a good long while, and that's if Sakurai is game for another installment for the NX. Like I said, just do what needs to be done and call it a day.

From what I've seen of Source Gaming lately, they don't seem terribly confident in Shovel Knight at all anymore.

If he is somehow still in the game, I have to wonder what the hell kind of circumstances led to that. And I also have to wonder why on earth -Shovel Knight- of all people was the one to be leaked, but Cloud MF Strife was somehow glossed over despite being worked on long enough to have his own stage.

Last I did see, SourceGaming was saying that SK was gonna get paired with Cloud because of a bundle with One Japan Ballot Rep and One Everyone Else Ballot Rep. Which I thought was dumb because Cloud is a character peeps like every where, but SK is a western thing exclusively. You may as well bundle SK and literally any other non-indie character as West/Japan lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom