• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Haha, I was literally about to post that. I too always liked the idea of an "Sports Series" representative.

The only problem, what would the actual character be itself? It'd be strange to either make it an Ice Hockey player and then shove a golf club onto him, or have him suddenly transform from a Ice Hockey player into a Baseball player or something.

Waluigi

I kinda wonder what they could do with retro characters from here on out.

Ryce's already mentioned this in the past but each retro character in Smash appears to seemingly represent their own aspect of Nintendo's past. Mr. Game & Watch represents the G&W line of handhelds, Ice Climbers represented old NES "Action Series" games like Urban Champion and Clu Clu Land, R.O.B represent the ROB peripheral and its associated "Robot Series" games, and Duck Hunt represent the NES Zapper and its associated "Light Gun Series" games.

So, who's next?

It's time to break another taboo. The representative of unlicensed NES games. I nominate Dizzy.

No, the 'retro' character worth it is this guy:
VwZ5G7C.png

Excitebike is the ninth best selling NES game of all time, more popular than a lot of SSB franchises' initial releases. And while its newer releases have been considerably less than stellar, it is still technically sort of alive (unlike a lot of its contemporaries like Ice Hockey and Baseball), and Nintendo does still like to reference it (got an entire track dedicated to it in Mario Kart 8's DLC). So it's probably one of the most significant old Nintendo franchise that isn't represented in Smash 4.

And this is just me, but a tiny dude driving a tiny motorcycle sounds like a more interesting character than another guy with a sword or Villager's Up-B made playable.

But then they'd have to put in ramps to make him jump! (Not actually the reason)

the ramps should be his recovery

That reasoning there kinda reminds me of the nonsense excuses Ryota Niitsuma made when talking about why certain characters didn't make it into MVC3.

"We couldn't put Ghost Rider in because we couldn't fit his bike in!" then they went back on that lol

woopWOOP

And since then we've had Sonic summoning stage springs :V

I'd like a retro newcomer to represent one of those Famicom visual novel games. I always thought both Donbe and Goku (not that one) could work and would look visually distinct, though apparently Ayumi was planned at some point for Melee? I have no idea how that would work and I'm ready for Sakurai to blow my mind

FSLink

Banned
I still think Lip would be a good retro pick. Have her incorporate different puzzle games into her moveset like Picross and Tetris, with Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon as her main focus.

Ryce

That reasoning there kinda reminds me of the nonsense excuses Ryota Niitsuma made when talking about why certain characters didn't make it into MVC3.

"We couldn't put Ghost Rider in because we couldn't fit his bike in!" then they went back on that lol
Niitsuma's reason for excluding Mega Man is still the most nonsensical thing I've ever read.

I still think Lip would be a good retro pick. Have her incorporate different puzzle games into her moveset like Picross and Tetris, with Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon as her main focus.

As sad as it may sound, Dr. Mario's probably the closest we'll ever get to a puzzle rep lol.

Ryce

Wasn't it "not enough moves" or something along those lines?
Ryota Niitsuma said:
If we were to adapt the original Mega Man character into a fighting game he would have to have a lot more extra moves and abilities, and that would then create a different Mega Man entirely. You couldn’t retain his original character as he is. So we looked into other Mega Mans, and decided that Zero had the best list of moves already in existence when it comes to fitting into a fighting game.
What was he even trying to say?

Platy

I kinda wonder what they could do with retro characters from here on out.

Ryce's already mentioned this in the past but each retro character in Smash appears to seemingly represent their own aspect of Nintendo's past. Mr. Game & Watch represents the G&W line of handhelds, Ice Climbers represented old NES "Action Series" games like Urban Champion and Clu Clu Land, R.O.B represent the ROB peripheral and its associated "Robot Series" games, and Duck Hunt represent the NES Zapper and its associated "Light Gun Series" games.

So, who's next?

Nintendo_Series-web-vgo.png

NES is too new... we need to go BACK !

9LKXQJY.jpg

geHIaIl.gif

I keep mentioning Hanafuda and L Tetrimino because if there is one Fighting game that can do a block of squares and some playing cards into actual fighters is Sakurai in smash bros

What was he even trying to say?

The strange thing is, he basically considered Zero to be the Mega Man of that game, which hardly makes sense, especially considering they didn't go with the MMZ design.

Like, prior to MVC3, Niitsuma worked on TVC which had Megaman Volnutt AND Zero. So, did he think that game had two Mega Mans, then?

Ever since it was part of a fake leak, I've really warmed up to the idea of the kangaroo mascot that represented the Nintendo Minigame Series:

It's so outlandish and weird but also would be a really cool character to have in Smash. Kangaroos are awesome. Obviously it would need a bit of a redesign, but totally would be something Sakurai would pick for the retro addition; those seem to generally represent actual hardware, rather than games.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I thought it was just a throwaway excuse for Ghost Rider since I'm pretty sure that they probably already had a plan for Ghost Rider to be one of those DLC characters.

Actually that's not true. He never said anything about Ghost Rider to my knowledge.
He mentioned that they couldn't do Human Torch because they couldn't animate the full on-fire body (and thus Skrull replaced him, which was a great choice imo).
And he also mentioned that they couldn't think of how to implement Silver Surfer because Surfer always is pretty much powerless without his surfboard, and they had difficulty making that work.

kirby_fox

Banned
Haha, I was literally about to post that. I too always liked the idea of an "Sports Series" representative.

The only problem, what would the actual character be itself? It'd be strange to either make it an Ice Hockey player and then shove a golf club onto him, or have him suddenly transform from a Ice Hockey player into a Baseball player or something.

Always pictured it as an 8 bit baseball player, with alts. 8 bit would make it easy to make him unique and the moves not look too odd.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Actually that's not true. He never said anything about Ghost Rider to my knowledge.
He mentioned that they couldn't do Human Torch because they couldn't animate the full on-fire body (and thus Skrull replaced him, which was a great choice imo).
And he also mentioned that they couldn't think of how to implement Silver Surfer because Surfer always is pretty much powerless without his surfboard, and they had difficulty making that work.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/oct/26/more-marvel-vs-capcom-3-notes-niitsuma-and-seth/

• Ghost Rider was considered a candidate up until the middle of development, but the team couldn't figure out a way to incorporate his bike into the game and they didn't want to include him without it.

• They said the same thing about Silver Surfer, they couldn't incorporate his surf board, so he didn't make the cut.

Edited: beaten.

Vidiot

You're all wondering who they could add to the next smash while I'm sitting here feeling like I'll never need a new one. Lol I just can't realistically see them topping this one. At least when it comes to what I value most, the roster.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You're all wondering who they could add to the next smash while I'm sitting here feeling like I'll never need a new one. Lol I just can't realistically see them topping this one. At least when it comes to what I value most, the roster.

Yeah, I'm very satisfied with the roster right now and we still have two more DLC characters coming as well.

However I could see them topping Smash 4 if they didn't cut any characters and add more characters in next iteration.

I just got a new TV, and Smash Bros. in 1080p is truly a sight to behold.

Congrats! Indeed, it's truly a sight to behold. I always enjoy Smash 4 because it was pretty amazing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I still wonder why Ice Climbers got in, really crappy NES game with shit physics and boring gameplay.
Because the Ice Climbers are fun to play as.

Sakurai had an idea for a moveset involving two characters. That's it. He doesn't have ulterior motives behind his roster choices.

Honestly people play up the duo aspect of Ice Climbers a tad too much. Yes, it is an important part of their appeal but so is the fact that they're ice-based fighters, and have a varied moveset outside of that duo mechanic. They have a sliding projectile, an interesting tether-like recovery (as of Brawl), a freezing move, and wield hammers (Dedede being the only other hammer user). Plus they represent the Famicom/NES in a meaningful way and just are part of an interesting universe.

That's why when people say a solo Ice Climber would be worthless I have to disagree. They are the only ice-based fighters, and the second hammer users. Plus they're just well designed and bring awesome stages and music along with them. I've been a huge IC fan since Melee and would be thrilled if they came back solo if for no other reason than just to have the series and character back in Smash.

But really Boss Doggie is kinda right. Their game isn't really fun. But that's why I think Sakurai is amazing. He can take a so-so character from an old shitty game and make an awesome character.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I'm just basing my feelings on Ice Climbers.

What a crappy game that only gets recognition from Smash.

I do kind of hope Smash 4 is remastered for NX for basically the same reason. It would be nice for this game to have its life extended in that way, and (assuming Sakurai absolutely sticks around for Smash in the future, which he very well may not), it would keep him from having to work on a new SSB for NX and would instead allow him to work on something new. After Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'm really excited to see what Sakurai will do (if anything) when he's not endlessly creating SSB sequels; I'm convinced he has some real masterpieces in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom