• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Shovel Knight would be pretty neat to see in Smash, but everything surrounding that rumor after Cloud's reveal just seems fishy. Why would someone at Amazon looking through upcoming DLC think SK was a bigger deal than Cloud getting in?

Though I guess you could also argue Xander had no clue Cloud was in before his reveal despite obviously having to go in and record new announcer lines for him, so it's not entirely impossible Cloud was just better kept under-wraps than SK was.
If they're capable of keeping one character under super tight wraps why couldn't they keep all characters under super tight wraps? Nothing about the Shovel Knight rumor makes any sense post-Cloud reveal.

Never mind that we're pretty well past the two months Tamaki originally claimed, and stretching his two months all the way to December just because it hasn't technically been disproven seems absurd.

I find it funny that I think that Master Chief has a chance.

Honestly I want Master Chief, Halo series means a lot to me and my little cousin. that Co-op.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has correctly predicted any Nintendo Direct content since its start in 2011.
That's correct--content that was to be revealed in a Direct has been leaked through different methods (accidentally released trailers, datamining servers for DLC, etc.) but an actual Direct in its entirety has never, ever been leaked.

That's correct--content that was to be revealed in a Direct has been leaked through different methods (accidentally released trailers, datamining servers for DLC, etc.) but an actual Direct in its entirety has never, ever been leaked.

I feel very few people know whats in a Direct honestly. Bill, and like two, three others.
i could be wrong tho.

Did Nintendo themselves accidentally posting the direct in 2013 that revealed Rosalina an hour or two early count as a leak?

I feel very few people know whats in a Direct honestly. Bill, and like two, three others.
i could be wrong tho.
Somebody on GAF before the last direct definitely knew Cloud was in the game and was going to be revealed in it, but that's about as much as I can remember. Usually it's just guesswork based on which developers retweet what and the like (which is how last year's mixup with Robin/Lucina getting revealed instead of Shulk happened).

Speaking of Source Gaming, I couldn't help but notice in one of their recent articles, they listed the most lucrative franchises for each currently represented company sans Square Enix, and Sega's 2nd biggest franchise is in fact....Puyo Puyo. Yeah, y'know, this game.
2419005-puyooriginal.png

Oddly, I almost never see this franchise come up when it comes to another Sega rep, or heck, even in terms of Sega's major crossovers. (It only has slight cameo appearances in the racing games, I'm not sure if it even showed up in that one sonic comic event.) Of course, a lot of that can come down to the fact that 1. It was initially developed and published by Compile before being bought out by Sega later on, so most people tend to forget it even is a Sega property! and 2. Sega has been doing its absolute damndest to try and snuff out the existence of Puyopuyo in the west.

Which is a crying shame because Puyo Puyo is a series with a pretty major pedigree, having pretty much invented and codified the "competitive puzzle game" genre, which later went on to inspire Nintendo's own Panel de Pon/Puzzle League series, along with countless others. Both Nintendo AND Sega even infamously reskinned the games to involve Kirby and Dr. Robotnik respectively. It's also had crossovers with Gundam and, recently, Tetris, so it's certainly gotten around here and there.

When it comes to characters, the obvious choice is Arle Nadja, the main protagonist of the first few games (and despite taking a back seat to others in later games, she's still a roster mainstay). You could do a LOT in terms of moveset potential utilizing the Puyos, from being an Olimar/Rosaluma type character, or unleashing effects by bunching up 4 of the same color puyos in a row.
In terms of visual design, I'd probably go with the earlier games since the newer artstyle would be really...difficult to translate into 3D, though looking up images for this post, I found a figure of her recent design that doesn't look too bad.
UajgLPx.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One funny thing about the 'Cloud is Japan's choice' narrative is that according to that legendsoflocalization article Japanese commenters see Cloud as being put in to please us Westerner.

Azure J

I'd be down for Arle vs. Lip. Puzzle heroines, let's do this.

We all thought we were getting Cloud, but we're actually getting Zack. Sakurai just intentionally supplanted our memories with false information!

December Direct to be a recreation of the codec conversations in late game MGS2 using proliferation of Smash Hype Cycle memes as a springboard only to hit us with the whammy that Solid Snake will return for Smash 4.

Until you pick him in an actual game and his character model is swapped out with Raiden to emulate the MGS2 bait and switch.

Azure J

I hope we can all look back and laugh at the Shovel Knight hysteria. Every generation has its Geno.

But thing is, Genos become everlasting.

Can't wait for "Put Shovel Knight In Smash 7" groups starting and shitting on every other character "cuz rezunz".

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

December Direct to be a recreation of the codec conversations in late game MGS2 using proliferation of Smash Hype Cycle memes as a springboard only to hit us with the whammy that Solid Snake will return for Smash 4.

Until you pick him in an actual game and his character model is swapped out with Raiden to emulate the MGS2 bait and switch.

At least, they might not use Colonel again out of respect to voice actor passing away. Snake sneaks in.

One funny thing about the 'Cloud is Japan's choice' narrative is that according to that legendsoflocalization article Japanese commenters see Cloud as being put in to please us Westerner.

I simply believe that Cloud got chosen to pleased everyone over the world. That site surly cherry picked some comments.

kirby_fox

Banned
That's all immaterial, because the outcome is the same either way. We'd get the moveset in a compromised form as opposed to not getting it at all. See?

And if this is indeed the last of the DLC, we won't be getting any characters for a good long while, and that's if Sakurai is game for another installment for the NX. Like I said, just do what needs to be done and call it a day.

Not a fan of the idea that you change a character just because you don't want the game lost. It's like if duck hunt had issues, and they had to get rid of the duck. The duck is a huge part of the character, just like having Popo without Nana would change things. Together they are ice climbers.

If they wanted to do a solo one, we would've had it by now I would think.

Platy

Speaking of Source Gaming, I couldn't help but notice in one of their recent articles, they listed the most lucrative franchises for each currently represented company sans Square Enix, and Sega's 2nd biggest franchise is in fact....Puyo Puyo. Yeah, y'know, this game.
2419005-puyooriginal.png

Oddly, I almost never see this franchise come up when it comes to another Sega rep, or heck, even in terms of Sega's major crossovers. (It only has slight cameo appearances in the racing games, I'm not sure if it even showed up in that one sonic comic event.)

You know what franchise had a crossover with Puyo Puyo ?

That's right ! FUCKING TETRIS

Did Nintendo themselves accidentally posting the direct in 2013 that revealed Rosalina an hour or two early count as a leak?

Somebody on GAF before the last direct definitely knew Cloud was in the game and was going to be revealed in it, but that's about as much as I can remember. Usually it's just guesswork based on which developers retweet what and the like (which is how last year's mixup with Robin/Lucina getting revealed instead of Shulk happened).

I seriously doubt that anyone knew Cloud was in.

There was that one dude with the Gatchaman avatar who knew (but didn't really leak it until an hour before the direct, and even then it was only a vague hint for funsies.). And the trailer was shown to the Jwitz and the Completionist (youtube personalities) a week early.

But other than that, any actual info about directs have had a pretty clean track record of being leak-free. Most proper ND leaks were just the result of outside sources like retailers messing up.

Have Lip and Arle as some kind of Marth/Roy esque clone duo and tbh i dont think I'd ever need another character again.

You know what franchise had a crossover with Puyo Puyo ?

That's right ! FUCKING TETRIS

Western release when tho :^(

Doubtful she'd make it in (no real quantifiable reason for said doubt though) but I'd be pretty happy with her inclusion. I don't know why but the idea of burying my opponents in living jelly appeals to me :p

I don't think it'll happen for the reasons I stated, but then again, all of those big Sega crossovers were developed by western companies, so maybe things are different in the context of japan. Where, y'know, Sega actually acknowledges Puyopuyo's existence.

Actually, Cloud was leaked on Gamefaqs before the Direct, but it was so ridiculous nobody believed it and was just ignored as a text post spam "leak" with no evidence.

Turns out the guy had leaked stuff before for other games, but nobody really paid attention to him.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

There are very few people that knew about Cloud being in Smash. Just that some people here are better with keep their secret information to themselves. There are some people out there want to respect Sakurai by not ruining the surprises for many people just for 10-15 minutes internet fames. Trust me because I know.

Thankfully, I'm glad that I didn't get spoiled because I would rather to be surprised by live reveal this time with Cloud.

2419005-puyooriginal.png

oh, is this that cranky food friends spinoff?

There definitely was a NeoGaf poster who knew prior, but I can't remember their name--Ryce probably does.
Actually, Cloud was leaked on Gamefaqs before the Direct, but it was so ridiculous nobody believed it and was just ignored as a text post spam "leak" with no evidence.

Turns out the guy had leaked stuff before for other games, but nobody really paid attention to him.
Link? That sounds sort of interesting.

Link? That sounds sort of interesting.

Was deleted for being spam apparently.

It was up for like two days after the Direct, so it seems silly they'd delete it so far after it was even relevant, and appeared to be a proper leak since it was about 45 minutes before the Direct and was fairly cryptic. The topic went from people ridiculing him to realizing he'd said some strange stuff in the past that ended up working out, after Cloud had already been revealed.

Basically he posted something like "My uncle works at nintendo and told me cloud was going to be pretty popular soon" or something to that effect.

I could only find the Reddit thread discussing it, but I did see the thread when it was still up and it appeared to be legit. After the fact of course. Nobody would have ever believed a random "my uncle works at Nintendo" leak nonsense.

Was deleted for being spam apparently.

It was up for like two days after the Direct, so it seems silly they'd delete it so far after it was even relevant, and appeared to be a proper leak since it was about 45 minutes before the Direct and was fairly cryptic. The topic went from people ridiculing him to realizing he'd said some strange stuff in the past that ended up working out, after Cloud had already been revealed.

Basically he posted something like "My uncle works at nintendo and told me cloud was going to be pretty popular soon" or something to that effect.

I could only find the Reddit thread discussing it, but I did see the thread when it was still up and it appeared to be legit. After the fact of course. Nobody would have ever believed a random "my uncle works at Nintendo" leak nonsense.
Thanks guys. This is how I like my leaks. Simple text, no long lead in time, no rumormongering nonsense.

Though these only make sense after the fact I guess. Not that anyone would believe Cloud being leaked beforehand, lol.

I was amazed at how many people didn't recognize the first few seconds.
I've never played Final Fantasy VII and am not familiar with many of its songs, so for me I was really confused. I knew it was Smash. I knew it wasn't Star Fox, despite the space motif. When the Super Smash Bros logo faded in I knew we were in for a big character. The music sounded RPG-ish, so I ran down a list of what series it could be. Of course when I saw the "X" it confirmed to me that I was right about the character being a big one.

I hope we can all look back and laugh at the Shovel Knight hysteria. Every generation has its Geno.

Except that Geno never had a realistic chance. Shovel Knight has a lot higher chance for various reasons. After all, Shovel Knight is part of Nintendo's current marketing, he's getting an amiibo, etc.
Geno never even got close to that amount of exposure with Nintendo. He doesn't have an amiibo. The best he got was a cameo in a minigame in some Mario & Luigi RPG over 10 years ago. Not quite on the level of Shovel Knight.

Ryce

His chances are a lot bigger than Geno's ever were.
I guess Shovel Knight's chances are "a lot bigger" than Geno's if you want to assign arbitrary values to them (4% is larger than 1%), but practically speaking, neither character is within the realm of reason. How is Shovel Knight even remotely qualified to join the ranks of Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Cloud?

Golnei

Geno will make a fine Gunner costume though. I have a good feeling about that actually happening.

Now that they're collaborating with S-E, I guess it's not completely impossible - and it would go nicely with the K. Rool Brawler. A shame SMRPG music doesn't seem like something that could feasibly be included - I would have been fine with them delaying Peach's Castle 64 to coincide with Cloud if it meant that becoming a possibility...

. How is Shovel Knight even remotely qualified to join the ranks of Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Cloud?
As an Indie rep.

Indies are a huge part of Nintendo now and they deserve a rep. The ballot may be setup to make the top Indie character into a fighter. Seems obvious since unlike companies there is no main Indie rep.

Does that mean SK? Who knows, but I'm confident in an Indie rep and SK gets pushed alot by NOA. We will see.

Indies may get good support from NoA, but does that mean anything for Europe and Japan?

While this is no talk of characters deserving to be in or to represent a company, just how much revenue would someone like Shovel Knight get in all 3 regions compared to the likes of Cloud or Ryu?

Ryce

As an Indie rep.

Indies are a huge part of Nintendo now and they deserve a rep. The ballot may be setup to make the top Indie character into a fighter. Seems obvious since unlike companies there is no main Indie rep.

Does that mean SK? Who knows, but I'm confident in an Indie rep and SK gets pushed alot by NOA. We will see.
“They”? Independent games aren’t a series, a company, or even a genre. They’re just low budget, self-published games. Why does something so abstract necessitate a playable character? At the end of the day, Shovel Knight is a third-party character, not an “indie rep.” And as a third-party character, Shovel Knight is not a big deal. It took decades of history and tens of millions of sales for Metal Gear, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Final Fantasy to get into Smash Bros., so why on Earth would the brand new Shovel Knight get a free pass? It doesn’t make any sense to me. We know Sakurai takes third-parties very seriously given how selective he is, and I can't see him squandering it all by including Shovel Knight.

thinking back on the whole 'difficult task' thing and looking at upcoming nintendo games... does anyone think Sakurai would actually consider removing Midna as an Assist Trophy and promoting her to playable? It would go well with the 'wolf link' amiibo and be an interesting way of celebrating/promoting Twilight Princess HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom