• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Speaking of Assist Trophies, I wonder if Gray Fox would return with Snake, or if they'd just forget about it.

I doubt that we would get any more assist trophies because there are no hooks in those sections. That would explains about lack of Street Fighter and Final Fantasy AT.

I'm basing that assumption mostly off of this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119400

Regarding slots in patch data:
Can't they just add more slots?

Yeah, they could. During Mewtwo update, we found out that we have 5 characters slots in April. That meant they already have the plans for characters. That's why I think Square-Enix and Nintendo made the deal way before the ballot started since the process with contracts between two companies were usually long.

I would like to make a safe guess that two available slots could be for third party characters because it's usually long term plan to acquire third party characters and work on the characters.

On September 30, we just found out that we are going to have one more character. After September 30, we still have like two more months to go, so I could see that they might add 4th character or just focus on the stages, updates, etc.

kirby_fox

Banned
Wait, I just realized Kirby_Fox's 12-character idea doesn't include the Inklings.

I take back what I said about the best timeline!!

You know it's still best possible timeline...

Plus...just replace Banjo with Inklings. You can't have both though.

Or Ice Climbers with Inklings. I can see that instead, because they couldn't get them to work at all.

Neiteio

You know it's still best possible timeline...

Plus...just replace Banjo with Inklings. You can't have both though.

Or Ice Climbers with Inklings. I can see that instead, because they couldn't get them to work at all.
There has to be a way to have both Inklings and Banjo-Kazooie!

If both were possible and I had to choose, I don't know what I'd do.

Banjo-Kazooie are my childhood. But Inklings are so fresh.

Then again... Nothing is fresher than Banjo's tight yellow shorts.

I feel like rather than being arched over he should actually be leaning back a bit with his stomach puffed out; I always prefer the idea all the different personas of K. Rool's are hinting at a kinda egotistical actor-style personality rather than something more akin to how Smash treats Bowser. The amazingly
terrible
DKC cartoon's version of K. Rool also sorta fits in with this portrayal.

I always prefer the idea all the different personas of K. Rool's are hinting at a kinda egotistical actor-style personality rather than something more akin to how Smash treats Bowser.

Yeah, I especially like kaptain rool:
BlackbeardKoopa.jpg

and mad scientist k rool:
Dr.Koopenstein.jpg

though there's always the classic design with his cape:
O%27Koopa.jpg

They really managed to make him his own character :p

Yes, I can't help but smile when I look at a picture of K. Rool. Even saying/writing the name is fun.

Cool! I didn't know someone had made a mod to include king koopa from the mario bros show :D
latest

Hahahah. Both great villainous green reptiles, but the K. Rool design is so much better. The googly eyes, the distinctive red eye, the red cape, and the gold on the wrists and belly. An appealing, memorable, and timeless design! Also love how the colors come together. (I prefer the original coloring, though.) King Koopa is comparatively dull, design-wise. On the show, though, he's great! Prefer him even to regular Bowser.

But I like the anthromorphic animal/creature characters in general. Wish more were included, principally among them K. Rool. Getting burned out on the conventionally attractive slim pale male characters! Assuming they are "qualified" (necessary to say due to misunderstanding in the past), I'm hoping Sakurai tries to reach out for more characters with different body types, species, gender, etc.!!! Like the big green crocodile galoot, K. Rool!

Neiteio

Yeah, I especially like kaptain rool:
BlackbeardKoopa.jpg

and mad scientist k rool:
Dr.Koopenstein.jpg

though there's always the classic design with his cape:
O%27Koopa.jpg

They really managed to make him his own character :p
What is this sorcery?!

So did Rare take all their ideas from the SMB cartoon?

What is going oooooooooonnn???

kirby_fox

Banned
There has to be a way to have both Inklings and Banjo-Kazooie!

If both were possible and I had to choose, I don't know what I'd do.

Banjo-Kazooie are my childhood. But Inklings are so fresh.

Then again... Nothing is fresher than Banjo's tight yellow shorts.

Only choose two: Ice Climbers, Banjo, Inklings, K Rool, Isaac, Captain Toad, Waluigi.

He says while laughing in his head.

Yes, I can't help but smile when I look at a picture of K. Rool. Even saying/writing the name is fun.

Hahahah. Both great villainous green reptiles, but the K. Rool design is so much better. The googly eyes, the distinctive red eye, the red cape, and the gold on the wrists and belly. An appealing, memorable, and timeless design! Also love how the colors come together. (I prefer the original coloring, though.) King Koopa is comparatively dull, design-wise. On the show, though, he's great! Prefer him even to regular Bowser.

But I like the anthromorphic animal/creature characters in general. Wish more were included, principally among them K. Rool. Getting burned out on the conventionally attractive slim pale male characters! Assuming they are "qualified" (necessary to say due to misunderstanding in the past), I'm hoping Sakurai tries to reach out for more characters with different body types, species, gender, etc.!!! Like the big green crocodile galoot, K. Rool!

Poking fun aside, I never really was sure if Koopa was meant to be bowser or sort of something like 'daisy' where it was a seperate character that fulfilled the same role as Bowser :eek:

Neiteio

Inklings and Captain Toad with a toadette alt :p
Captain Toad/Toadette would be legit. They could pluck and toss turnips, swing pickaxes, dazzle enemies with their headlamps, dash forward in their mine carts, etc. They would also look TOTES ADORBS. I'm talking, like, multiple tote bags just full of adorbs.

Captain Toad/Toadette would be legit. They could pluck and toss turnips, swing pickaxes, dazzle enemies with their headlamps, dash forward in their mine carts, etc. They would also look TOTES ADORBS. I'm talking, like, multiple tote bags just full of adorbs.
Regardless of the moveset, this is the most important part they'd have to get right :3
They could carry all the adorbs in their backpack :D

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be Bowser. I mean, he eventually got his kids, too.

And hopefully you're not suggesting Daisy from the Super Mario Bros. movie is not Daisy in the Mario series. If so, I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that. That would retroactively make all the times I chose Daisy in Mario Party 3 and Mario Tennis because "she's the princess from the movie" a big lie.

Speaking of which, I find it odd that the Smash Bros team don't just go ahead and make Daisy a full alternate for Peach. I think many fans would appreciate it. She's probably among Nintendo's most well known not-in-Smash-Bros characters, even if her renown is mostly due to being "that other princess in Mario Party/Mario Kart". I honestly would have gone for her instead of Lucina/Dark Pit. But I guess Mario has received a lot of attention in the game already, and maybe Sakurai wanted to spread it around.
(To franchises that already got a full newcomer...)

Neiteio

Regardless of the moveset, this is the most important part they'd have to get right :3

They could carry all the adorbs in their backpack :D
Future Famitsu column by Sakurai:

"I am still on a sugar high from all the kawaii.

As of writing this, Captain Toad and his BFF, Toadette, are available for Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and Nintendo 3DS.

To be honest, I was uncertain we would be able to include them. My team had to push themselves to previously unseen levels.

This is because of the adorbs we packed into both characters. Only the most adorable adorbs would do. We gathered them from puppies taking baths... Babies mashing their faces in chocolate cake from their high chairs... And squirrels burying their nuts and forgetting where they buried them.

The squirrels, especially, made this a long and arduous process. Since we had to witness them burying their nuts in the fall and subsequently forgetting where they buried them in the spring, development on Toad and Toadette actually began last year.

I am morbidly afraid of squirrels. I don't trust them. So I hope players appreciate the sacrifice I made for them. At the end of the day, looking at the adorbs we gathered, I think the work was all worthwhile."

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be Bowser. I mean, he eventually got his kids, too.

And hopefully you're not suggesting Daisy from the Super Mario Bros. movie is not Daisy in the Mario series. If so, I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that. That would retroactively make all the times I chose Daisy in Mario Party 3 and Mario Tennis because "she's the princess from the movie" a big lie.

Speaking of which, I find it odd that the Smash Bros team don't just go ahead and make Daisy a full alternate for Peach. I think many fans would appreciate it. She's probably among Nintendo's most well known not-in-Smash-Bros characters, even if her renown is mostly due to being "that other princess in Mario Party/Mario Kart". I honestly would have gone for her instead of Lucina/Dark Pit. But I guess Mario has received a lot of attention in the game already, and maybe Sakurai wanted to spread it around.
I wouldn't take Daisy over Lucina, but she's always been the princess I liked over peach... at least until Rosalina floated onto the scene :3 I never liked peach so Daisy was always kind of the go-to for me in the mario party games once she got added :D

Fair point on the koopa kids. Considering how they retconned them away from being his kids now though it's hard to tell what's even going on with the koopa/bowser family sometimes XD

edit:
Future Famitsu column by Sakurai:

"I am still on a sugar high from all the kawaii.

As of writing this, Captain Toad and his BFF, Toadette, are available for Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and Nintendo 3DS.

To be honest, I was uncertain we would be able to include them. My team had to push themselves to previously unseen levels.

This is because of the adorbs we packed into both characters. Only the most adorable adorbs would do. We gathered them from puppies taking baths... Babies mashing their faces in chocolate cake from their high chairs... And squirrels burying their nuts and forgetting where they buried them.

The squirrels, especially, made this a long and arduous process. Since we had to witness them burying their nuts in the fall and subsequently forgetting where they buried them in the spring, development on Toad and Toadette actually began last year.

I am morbidly afraid of squirrels. I don't trust them. So I hope players appreciate the sacrifice I made for them. At the end of the day, looking at the adorbs we gathered, I think the work was all worthwhile."

Suddenly, the move where toad/toadette launch themselves onto their opponents face while emitting high pitched shrieking and flailing with their claws makes sense! :eek:

Neiteio

We talking princesses now?

Daisy is my favorite. She feels real. Like you can go to Taco Bell with her. Whereas Peach, you'd end up hanging out in a fanciful lil' fudge shop, and she'd linger too long staring all starry-eyed at the fudge on display, and meanwhile you're suffocating from the overwhelming smell of so much fudge.

And Rosalina? Well, she's the kind of friend who'd turn out to be a ghost from the 1800s. I've read enough Victorian-era romance to know 'em when I see 'em. And ghosts makes unsettling friends since they can trash your house when they're mad because you Blue Shell'd them in Mario Kart.

kirby_fox

Banned
Nintendo needs to be like Disney with their princesses.

They have enough by now. Plus, it would give Daisy a game and get her in Smash.

Not as common as the point about "relevance", but I have seen it. Probably a little less common than weird fat phobic comments or comments about the character being ugly (I think he's so cute!).
Haha they should make a follow up to the South Park episode where Cartman gets body shamed, just starring K. Rool.

It is funny because a lot of the people who hate K. Rool and call him fat are also social justice inclined it seems from posts lol

RK128

We talking princesses now?

Daisy is my favorite. She feels real. Like you can go to Taco Bell with her. Whereas Peach, you'd end up hanging out in a fanciful lil' fudge shop, and she'd linger too long staring all starry-eyed at the fudge on display, and meanwhile you're suffocating from the overwhelming smell of so much fudge.

And Rosalina? Well, she's the kind of friend who'd turn out to be a ghost from the 1800s. I've read enough Victorian-era romance to know 'em when I see 'em. And ghosts makes unsettling friends since they can trash your house when they're mad because you Blue Shell'd them in Mario Kart.

Out of all the ones in the Mario series, I like Daisy and Rosalina.

The former has a ton of character across all the Mario Sports games (just look at her in the Strikers series; she is TOUGH man XD!) and her design is great.

The latter is great due to her backstory being established in Mario Galaxy 1 and her more or less, being the god of the Mushroom Kingdom. Like Daisy, she also has a great design and she shows personality throughout all her apperences.

Peach is interesting; in (most) of the Paper Mario games, she is one of the best characters. She goes on adventures, she gets stuff done and most importantly, she has a personality, not just a 'trophy' Mario saves at the end. The sports games, like Daisy and Rosalina, show her having a personality, but it doesn't come out like it does in the Paper Mario series (and Mario RPG).

Its ironic that the best version of Peach comes from her Super Mario Adventures Comic from the 90's, as that could of been what Nintendo based future versions of her character on.

I mean, look at this:
Peach-1992-300x173.jpg

200px-Special_delivery.png

Does THAT look like a Princess that lets people kidnap her? NO....but Nintendo has to have their formula. To their credit, 3D World was a great step in the right direction with her
and Rosalina
being playable, so that's something :).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, what Geno hype happened last time that is comparable to SK? Because I don't seem to remember that.

PK Gaming

The Nintendo Power Mario comics were the shit

The former has a ton of character across all the Mario Sports games (just look at her in the Strikers series; she is TOUGH man XD!) and her design is great.

The latter is great due to her backstory being established in Mario Galaxy 1 and her more or less, being the god of the Mushroom Kingdom. Like Daisy, she also has a great design and she shows personality throughout all her apperences.

Peach is interesting; in (most) of the Paper Mario games, she is one of the best characters. She goes on adventures, she gets stuff done and most importantly, she has a personality, not just a 'trophy' Mario saves at the end. The sports games, like Daisy and Rosalina, show her having a personality, but it doesn't come out like it does in the Paper Mario series (and Mario RPG).

Its ironic that the best version of Peach comes from her Super Mario Adventures Comic from the 90's, as that could of been what Nintendo based future versions of her character on.

I mean, look at this:
Peach-1992-300x173.jpg

Does THAT look like a Princess that lets people kidnap her? NO....but Nintendo has to have their formula. To their credit, 3D World was a great step in the right direction with her
and Rosalina

Peach is totally channeling Princess Bubblegum. Shame she's nowhere as interesting in the actual Mario games (barring Paper Mario)

Zubz

Banned

I mean, look at this:
Peach-1992-300x173.jpg

and Rosalina

I still want Nintendo to pull a 180 and make the canon Peach like this. Or just put Daisy in non-sports games and keep her like this.

Golnei

Did I miss something

I'm assuming he's talking about the 'Cloud is just a faster Ike' reactions. Considering Lucario was initially called a Mewtwo clone, and 'what's the point of Ryu when we already have Little Mac' was actually a relatively common opinion, it's not terribly surprising.

Peach is totally channeling Princess Bubblegum. Shame she's nowhere as interesting in the actual Mario games (barring Paper Mario)

Paper Peach is the best version of the character by far. They really should have tried to migrate some of that characterisation into the main games.

What is this sorcery?!

So did Rare take all their ideas from the SMB cartoon?

What is going oooooooooonnn???

I've been saying this for years. I grew up with the cheesy SMB Super Show and King Koopa's gimmick was wearing different outfits and slightly altering his name.

I'm convinced Rare just shat out K.Rool after a night of Super Show and heavy drinking.

Never been a fan of Rare characters. Even Diddy was supposed to be DK Jr. but Miyamoto saw it and said "Yeah, I don't think so" (paraphrasing) so they slapped a tail on and made him a new character.

FSLink

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I feel like we may actually get 12 characters total.

Sakurai said he was treating this like it's own game. The least amount of characters he ever had was the original 12 from 64.

Mewtwo, Ryu, Roy and Lucas
Cloud, Wolf, Pichu and Snake
Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Banjo

Banjo Kazooie would be a Rare rep, not a Microsoft one. Would likely include other stuff from Rare too. And would be huge fan service, as would putting in the vets and leaving young link as the only one not in the game (since toon link is very similar).

Makes sense to me, and would justify the end cost of DLC.

Yeah, I can see this. Except with one or two of the characters being the Ballot character.

I'm hoping for something like this:

Character Pack 1: Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu
Character Pack 2: Cloud, Wolf, Pichu, Inkling - (start off December broadcast with Pichu trailer to troll the internet, then reveal Wolf and Inklings at the end)
Character Pack 3: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ballot character 1, Ballot character 2

ffdgh

I mean, look at this:
Peach-1992-300x173.jpg

and Rosalina

Oh what I would give for them to cut the kidnapped crap for good... Strikers peach is my favorite version of her personality since it's so hilarious out of character along with Paper/rpg peach.

Mizerman

I feel like rather than being arched over he should actually be leaning back a bit with his stomach puffed out; I always prefer the idea all the different personas of K. Rool's are hinting at a kinda egotistical actor-style personality rather than something more akin to how Smash treats Bowser. The amazingly
terrible
DKC cartoon's version of K. Rool also sorta fits in with this portrayal.

Same. They could always emphasize that aspect about K. Rool if they decide to bring him back.

PK Gaming

Well he does share a down air, an up special, and a final smash with Ike.

Re: Down Air

I mean if you're going by that logic then Link, Robin and pretty much anyone who plunges their sword downwards share Down Airs. Fun fact about Cloud's DAir btw; since it's supposedly fairly quick, it will definitely function differently than those down airs in practice.

Re: Up B

They're seemingly similar, but Ike has super armor and will always go up then down after use. Cloud's seems to be completely different on the ground (and you can choose to do a follow up attack or not) and it's just a vertical leap in the air.

Re: Final Smash

It follows the same pattern as cinematic Final Smash's like Ike, Robin, Greninja, etc so it's not necessarily fair to single out Ike in that regard.

Masked Man

I said wow
Only choose two: Ice Climbers, Banjo, Inklings, K Rool, Isaac, Captain Toad, Waluigi.

Banjo-Kazooie and Captain Toad.

That said, I want to see the Ice Climber(s) back someday, and I would really enjoy the Inklings in Smash.

Yes! Glad to see someone else agrees. It's time for the true captain to join the fray and show everyone he's more than just a fun guy--he's a fierce, fighting fungi.

tFxv.gif

I just noticed we're already just about at the 400 page mark. Fitting, considering Smash 4 speculation will be a thing of the past in a month or so....

Zyrox

Well he does share a down air, an up special, and a final smash with Ike.

Don't think the up B's are similar at all. Cloud is made up of 2 parts, and he doesn't throw his sword into the air. And he can boost his Up B via Limit Break.
Re: Final Smash, Cloud had Omnislash first. And also, Cloud's Final Smash does work a little differently from Ike's gameplay wise, as Cloud dashes forward on activation.

Down air is similar, yes, but there are quite a few swordwielders who have that kind of dair.

NeonZ

Poking fun aside, I never really was sure if Koopa was meant to be bowser or sort of something like 'daisy' where it was a seperate character that fulfilled the same role as Bowser :eek:

King Koopa is just Bowser's Japanese name. For whatever reason, the cartoon went with that name rather than one from the American manual. The "Bowser" name only appeared in-game much later. For his design, it seems like they just looked at his SMB1 in-game sprite and went from there (which was all green) rather than any artwork.

King Koopa is just Bowser's Japanese name. For whatever reason, the cartoon went with that name rather than one from the American manual. The "Bowser" name only appeared in-game much later. For his design, it seems like they just looked at his SMB1 in-game sprite and went from there (which was all green) rather than any artwork.

Man, I'd love to know what the hell was the localizer thinking when coming up with Bowser. I mean, for obvious reasons as a Polish speaker I'm happy they didn't leave King Koopa as is... but why exactly Bowser of all things?

is that supposed to be hard?
Inklings and Toad

fuck ugly RARE characters and Ice Climbers wouldn't come back the same thanks to the 3DS so i don't need them.
Isaac has the charisma of a card board.

NeonZ

I think what might have gotten in the way of her making it as a costume is that there wouldn't be voice samples to reuse for her. Note that the Koopalings just had reused voice samples from New Super Mario Bros, and Alph doesn't have a voice here. It doesn't seem like they were willing to get a VA recording session for a costume, unless the alternate costume with different voice sample is a basic feature of the character, like in Robin's case. I'd guess the same issue is the reason that Blood Falcon also continued as a texture swap.

Vidiot

Man, I'd love to know what the hell was the localizer thinking when coming up with Bowser. I mean, for obvious reasons as a Polish speaker I'm happy they didn't leave King Koopa as is... but why exactly Bowser of all things?

I thought it had to do with naming Bowser and the koopalings after musicians.

Golnei

I think what might have gotten in the way of her making it as a costume is that there wouldn't be voice samples to reuse for her. Note that the Koopalings just had reused voice samples from New Super Mario Bros, and Alph doesn't have a voice here. It doesn't seem like they were willing to get a VA recording session for a costume, unless the alternate costume with different voice sample is a basic feature of the character, like in Robin's case. I'd guess the same issue is the reason that Blood Falcon also continued as a texture swap.

They might be able to get away with using Mario Kart voice samples, but I guess it's different when the character is designed around them - unlike the Koopalings, there'd be a very noticeable difference between Peach's Brawl voice and a handful of manipulated Mario Kart clips for Daisy.

Though I wouldn't think the same thing applies to Blood Falcon - he was voiced by the same actor as Captain Falcon in GX, after all; and it's not like he has much dialogue in Smash. I think him remaining a texture swap has more to do with it not being considered a worthwhile expenditure of effort, compared to someone like the Koopalings or Daisy - considering how similar he is to Captain Falcon (and especially in Smash Bros., since that Falcon wears his scarf out), there's not much more to be gained from having him treated as an alt rather than a palette, doubly so when you consider how minor he is as a character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just noticed we're already just about at the 400 page mark. Fitting, considering Smash 4 speculation will be a thing of the past in a month or so....

*nods* It's fitting for our thread.

I wonder which will pop first, OT2 of this thread or December date.

Thank you for reminding me. I want to know what other people's opinions? Should we let this thread running to it's course then make OT2 or just stick with this thread until we get Decemember Presentation?

I meant there are some threads that made over 40,100 to 42,000 this year in Community so I don't think moderators mind.

I feel like perhaps we should wait until the December presentation. As mentioned before, it's most likely going to be the last batch of characters we get so it'd be a fitting close to this topic.

Have you noticed that all the DLC characters are clones? It's amazing.

Lucas: Ness Clone
Cloud: Sephiroth "Clone"
Mewtwo: Mew Clone
Roy: Marth Clone
Ryu: Shoto Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom