• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Which is why I said "if the most huge can't have a playble character, than you should stop using being huge as a reason" =P
I don't think anyone's ever suggested that being from a massive franchise is the only reason a character should be included. The most important factor is that the game has a character that would work in Smash Bros., which Tetris lacks. Nintendogs and Brain Age are two of Nintendo's best-selling series, but they lack suitable playable characters so they're represented with Assist Trophies and a stage instead.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I still don't believe that people actually being serious about Tetris being playable character. Just humor me but how would they work as playable character?

I still don't believe that people actually being serious about Tetris being playable character. Just humor me but how would they work as playable character?
You have a DHD avatar. You should honestly not be doing this. But anyway:
  • Player is a bunch of tetrominoes all the time. Or maybe a single one that transforms. Whatever
  • Moving is handled by blocks replacing each other or transforming or rolling or whatever
  • Normal attacks are just weird poses
  • Down/side special is dropping a block and getting some self-damage. Arranging a 10-long row leads to explosion
  • Up special is HOLD. Blocks teleport up and change. Need to dow/siden special on/above ground to recharge it
  • Other players can KO individual blocks. They also disappear over time. However enemies don't collide with blocks. Player can drop too many blocks and be unable to reach their enemies, or even get pushed into top blast line
  • Final Smash is just dropping blocks like in Tetris
  • Normal special is something stupid from a random spinoff, so that Kirby can copy that

This was just a thought exercise, mind you.

At the very least a Tetris stage or AT would be great. Guessing since the music is public-domain that's how there's Tetris remixes in Brawl and 4?

At the very least a Tetris stage or AT would be great. Guessing since the music is public-domain that's how there's Tetris remixes in Brawl and 4?

No. They licensed it. In a mind-boggling example of copyright mismanagement, Tetris Company trademarked the public domain Russian song "when it comes to video games."

You have a DHD avatar. You should honestly not be doing this.

A dog has limbs. It can move those limbs. It can also run, jump, and do many other things. Same goes for a duck.
A block does not have appendages, and the only movement that has been shown in Tetris is sliding to the left or to the right, and spinning 90°.

I am not quite sure how these two are even remotely comparable.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You have a DHD avatar. You should honestly not be doing this. But anyway:

What? Duck Hunt have limbs and Tetris doesn't. You could have done better than counter me with my Duck Hunt avatar because they are on completely different levels.

I just felt that Tetris blocks really lack personality and characteristic that we often saw in the characters in Smash Bros. Also how the heck Tetris would able to move around the stage without wheels, legs, etc?

I rarely disagreed with people on the characters that could become playable characters. If anything, I would find Tetris one of very few impossible characters to become playable characters in Smash Bros Universe. If anything, Tetris would be perfect stage or Assist Trophy.

Edited: However if there are characters that could summon the blocks, then it would work. (coughs Lip coughs)

kirby_fox

Banned
OK I'll try making a moveset based on Tetris tetrominoes.

- Movement is similar in how you would move blocks in the game as they move downward. On the ground the block slides, jumps are mostly vertical with very little horizontal movement.
- Standard attacks use single blocks appearing to attack before disappearing or slight movements in line with the game. EX: Up-tilt would be the block moving up slightly before falling down.
- Up Special: New block. Your old block disappears and is replaced with a different block up above, as if getting a new block falling.
- Side special: Orientation. Allows the block to move quickly in the direction pushed while changing their orientation.
- Standard special: Tetrominoes. You lay out tetrominoes on the ground. You can only lay down 5 at a time. (Kirby special: Kirby will throw the tetrominoes instead of laying them down).
- Down special: Row. Eliminates all the tetrominoes on the board. If you have enough in a row, it will cause players to get trapped and damaged.
- Final Smash: Falling Tetrominoes. You control quick moving tetrominoes as they move around the screen hurting players. If you create a row, they disappear and cause a small explosion.

It wouldn't be one block in particular, but all of the blocks. As you change, hitboxes change too.

I don't know, none of these Tetromino ideas sound even slightly fun. Some of the special moves sound creative but there's no telling how they'd work in practice, and beyond being unique, every animation would need to be readable as well. Everything I'm visualizing looks like a complete and utter mess.

Platy

Why would be more hilarious than any other sugestion ?

How they would work ?
The same as any smash character that had almost nothing to be done with... Sakurai finds a way.

Maybe the body is an L Tetrimino and each special is based on other ?

Down B would turn into square tetrimino for a move like Yoshi's down b, but really fast since it would represent instant fall

Up B would create a tower of blocks that would disapear after a while

Side B would be trowing a Z tetrimino as a projectile ...

B would be something with the Line Tetrimino, maybe creating a small area of linear destruction on both sides

Could work with some kind of "stack damage" effect since Sakurai love to incorporate mechanics from the original games, like if you hit a character with every block it would create extra damage in the last hit

Maybe down special change which tetrimino is the main body and that would change it's atacks so you would have to know where each tetrimino is better used ?

jph139

Tetronimo would be really cool. And really easy to do.

In his neutral form, he's the square block. He can either move by sliding around on the ground or by rolling around, because the image of a block rolling quickly is hilarious. Basic attacks would just be chunks sliding around, transitioning into any of the other tetronimoes. With the specials - I mean, sky's the limit with specials, dropping other blocks, shooting out other blocks, falling, flashing... and Final Smash is obviously "Hard Mode," with a bunch of blocks falling quickly.

I mean, it's goofy and out there, but Sakurai could put something together with ease.

Neiteio

So I've been playing the 3DS version a lot lately, and tonight I went back to the WiiU version. The controls feel so much more fiddly than the 3DS version. I'm using a Pro Controller. It feels like the joystick is too "tall." I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up a GCN adapter and a GCN controller. I think what I like about the 3DS is how precise the Circle Pad feels — it's almost digital in its precision. Which is why I think the octagonal gate on the GCN controller might help. Any thoughts? (And yes, I know I can literally use the 3DS as a controller on the WiiU version, but I'd rather not wear it down when possible)

kirby_fox

Banned
So I've been playing the 3DS version a lot lately, and tonight I went back to the WiiU version. The controls feel so much more fiddly than the 3DS version. I'm using a Pro Controller. It feels like the joystick is too "tall." I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up a GCN adapter and a GCN controller. I think what I like about the 3DS is how precise the Circle Pad feels — it's almost digital in its precision. Which is why I think the octagonal gate on the GCN controller might help. Any thoughts? (And yes, I know I can literally use the 3DS as a controller on the WiiU version, but I'd rather not wear it down when possible)

I haven't used a single controller besides GCN. After so long with it, I can't imagine playing it with another controller. In saying this, my cousin has been a lifelong fan as well. He's dabbled with all sorts of controls for Smash, including buying adapters to try out PS and Xbox controllers. After all of those controls...he winds up playing it with the Pro Controller.

It really just depends on your personal preference I think. If you can find a way to try out the GCN controls without buying the adapter, it might help you some.

Neiteio

I haven't used a single controller besides GCN. After so long with it, I can't imagine playing it with another controller. In saying this, my cousin has been a lifelong fan as well. He's dabbled with all sorts of controls for Smash, including buying adapters to try out PS and Xbox controllers. After all of those controls...he winds up playing it with the Pro Controller.

It really just depends on your personal preference I think. If you can find a way to try out the GCN controls without buying the adapter, it might help you some.
I went ahead and bought the controller and adapter (and a Lucina amiibo for $7 above MSRP). If nothing else, I have friends who'll appreciate the option.

If the GCN controller I linked is really like the kind I used for Melee back in the day, then it at least has the potential to work well for me.

The stick on the Pro Controller flies all over the place without an octagon gate, so I'm hoping that'll make a difference.

EDIT: Also, I occasionally get wireless interference in my apartment. A wired controller should solve that.

Neiteio

I think a Tetris character would just be called "Tetris," much like how they handled Duck Hunt's name in the U.S. It's more recognizable.

Tetris would also probably take the form of a constantly shapeshifting stack of blocks. I don't think he'd just be one block.

Sponge

Banned
They should totally do a Tetris stage. We already have a song to put on it :p

Imagine fighting on a Tetris stage with all the third party characters on it.

Kyzon

You guys want it to be harder? Fine. Sakurai confirms he is never coming back to Smash after this installment. His hands have basically become too injured to play test, and because of that he doesn't see himself returning to Smash. Nintendo decides it will take its time to find a suitable replacement, so we won't get a Smash NX game and will have to wait 10 years for the next game. If that game ever winds up happening.

You can only choose 2 of the characters below for the final DLC characters. They may be the last characters ever added to Smash or returning to Smash. There are no problems bringing any of them into Smash, so there's no tech issues or legal issues.

Choose wisely.

Dark Samus and Skull Kid
(Where is my boo, Linkle?)

kirby_fox

Banned
I went ahead and bought the controller and adapter (and a Lucina amiibo for $7 above MSRP). If nothing else, I have friends who'll appreciate the option.

If the GCN controller I linked is really like the kind I used for Melee back in the day, then it at least has the potential to work well for me.

The stick on the Pro Controller flies all over the place without an octagon gate, so I'm hoping that'll make a difference.

EDIT: Also, I occasionally get wireless interference in my apartment. A wired controller should solve that.

Only difference are the triggers. It's so slight though, I can barely feel the difference personally.

Dark Samus and Skull Kid
(Where is my boo, Linkle?)

In Hyrule Warriors. If you think she's getting in as Smash DLC, you gonna be disappointed.

Richie

This is out of nowhere, but it just struck me how Viridi's trophy is not in Smash Wii U (it is in the 3DS game).

The hell. Given her importance in the game and how she's the heart of the Palutena Guidances you'd expect her to be present.

smashbros miiverse admin tweeted what we think about Mewtwo..

Perhaps now is the time to tell them how Mewtwo should be buffed? I tweeted that he needs a weight back(melee weight to 100), shadowball getting its charged hitbox back, and hitbox fixes for back/up/forward air, up tilt, forward smash(it whiffs at point blank),and grab.

Forgot to mention teleport needs to get fixed so it doesn't bounce mewtwo players into SDing in certain stages. >_>

https://twitter.com/SmashMiiverse/status/668477343544025088

Now is the time Mewtwo fans! Sakurai could be reading!!

Perhaps now is the time to tell them how Mewtwo should be buffed? I tweeted that he needs a weight back(melee weight to 100), shadowball getting its charged hitbox back, and hitbox fixes for back/up/forward air, up tilt, forward smash(it whiffs at point blank),and grab.

Forgot to mention teleport needs to get fixed so it doesn't bounce mewtwo players into SDing in certain stages. >_>

SmashMiiverse is a fan account.

I tweeted about a dozen responses. Thanks for the heads-up.

SmashMiiverse is a fan account.
Oh. Forever fucked. :(

Tregard

Soothsayer
You guys want it to be harder? Fine. Sakurai confirms he is never coming back to Smash after this installment. His hands have basically become too injured to play test, and because of that he doesn't see himself returning to Smash. Nintendo decides it will take its time to find a suitable replacement, so we won't get a Smash NX game and will have to wait 10 years for the next game. If that game ever winds up happening.

You can only choose 2 of the characters below for the final DLC characters. They may be the last characters ever added to Smash or returning to Smash. There are no problems bringing any of them into Smash, so there's no tech issues or legal issues.

Choose wisely.

Banjo & Bayonetta, no question.

Choose wisely.
Bar some of the 3rd party choices on here like Wonder Red I'd really wanna see pretty much all of those appear in Smash in the future. Depends what the next generation brings and which characters fade or rise up. Wish you'd included Krystal there though since I really wanted her to appear since Adventures.

If I had to choose from what you've put there I'd have to say for me, Dixie and K.Rool.
I think we all want to see Wolf back so I didn't choose him.

I do think the DK franchise has been snuffed this time round, because since Brawl the franchise has continued to churn out games and had success with the DKCR series but nothing to show for it. Dixie is one of the first playable female protagonists and K.Rool has been wanted for such a long time as well. He's been out of the limelight for a while but he makes sense to be up there on the roster with all the big bad Nintendo kings as well.

It is also just sensible marketing to let people play in DLC stages to convinve them to buy them.

Funny enough, watching Shofu (or something else maybe, don't quite remember?) stream a week or so ago, he doesn't own Mario Maker, and the stage came up twice in a row for him, which I thought was strange given how many stages there are.

Maybe it's a conspiracy!

Dr. Buni

Choose wisely.
Inklings and Bomberman.

Also I'd be fine with no new Smash games for a decade or so.

What? Duck Hunt have limbs and Tetris doesn't. You could have done better than counter me with my Duck Hunt avatar because they are on completely different levels.

I just felt that Tetris blocks really lack personality and characteristic that we often saw in the characters in Smash Bros. Also how the heck Tetris would able to move around the stage without wheels, legs, etc?

That's actually exactly while I raised DHD argument. I remember the moveset proposals being ridiculed, mostly for not having direct connection to NES game - then some of these ridiculous moves ended up being mostly similar to DHD's portrayal in Smash.

The fact that Tetris "lacks personality" is sort of THE Tetris personality. Concrete rules. No fluff. A huge mess on the screen after a few minutes. Blocks just teleport because of course they do.

I think we all want to see Wolf back so I didn't choose him.
I know you don't literally mean all of us, but it always bothers me when people say something like that because while I feel for people not getting their mains, I personally don't 'want to see wolf back'.
That's not to say I'm against him coming back, more that he's kind of a non-event for me so the idea of being co-opted into the wolf fans by generalising comments like that rubs me the wrong way :p

Choose wisely.

Inklings and Master Chief.

kirby_fox

Banned
For the record, I would likely choose Ice Climbers and Banjo.

Of all the vets, I feel the most unique move set that's missing are the ICs. Of all things missing from the history of Nintendo, it's Rare and Banjo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom