• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

That's why I said estimates. They certainly aren't official, but they're best we can go on right now.

Not at all.

Its litterally some dude looked at some forum posts, and said " well i guess people want this "

So not only all of that not even reflective of all the people who would be posting on those boards. Its nowhere near reflective of anything because of the people who play smash aren't boards, they probably heard about this through other means, and decided to vote themselves. So along with having made up stats, that thing had made up rules about who can and can't be in. Its reflective of nothing, actually nothing. It is a fanboy dream and best, and absolute delusion at worst.

Someone made an image to make him feel good about shit that probably ain't going to happen. Don't take that as data, hell we probably even see any data.

Neoxon

Not at all.

Its litterally some dude looked at some forum posts, and said " well i guess people want this "

So not only all of that not even reflective of all the people who would be posting on those boards.

Its nowhere near reflective of anything because of the people who play smash aren't boards, they probably heard about this through other means, and decided to vote themselves.

So along with having made up stats, that thing had made up rules about who can and can't be in.

Its reflective of nothing, actually nothing.
Of course there's the people who don't show up on message boards or social media to account for, but in this day & age, that doesn't make up a lot of people. Maybe a sizable amount, but not the majority.

Isn't Inkling almost guaranteed to be in at some point? Splatoon seems to be Nintendo's next "big thing", so they may already consider the Inklings for Smash.

Village

Of course there's the people who don't show up on message boards or social media to account for, but in this day & age, that doesn't make up a lot of people. Maybe a sizable amount, but not the majority.

Thats most of the smash bros , fanbase. If you think most of the people who buy like mario kart or Smash Bros, are posting about it on the web besides " whats your favorite game " you are fucking delusional. This, this, isn't reflective of most people who buy smash.

take a look at that fucking image.

You wanna why i don't like it
So not only does the list maker admit on the image that they have completely arbitrary list based on factors outside of popularity. It says viable contenders list, implying that these are the only viable contenders, that these are the people you need to be voting for, based on arbitrary non reflective data they have pulled out of their ass, by looking at some forums, and other miscellaneous bullshit. They implication that these are " who they people want " and "who you need to vote for " Really really , a list with fucking black shadow from f zero. OR monita or anyone from advnced wars. That should tell you something, it is not reflective no where near reflective the amount of people who would be voting .

And next point, no one at nintendo says they have to pick to the top people, so even if it was there is no guarantee of anything.

Its to make someone feel better on the inside. Thats it.

Ryce

Isn't Inkling almost guaranteed to be in at some point? Splatoon seems to be Nintendo's next "big thing", so they may already consider the Inklings for Smash.
The biggest hurdle is that Splatoon isn't even out yet. That hasn't stopped characters (Roy) or stages (Woolly World) before, but both of those come from series that were already represented. It might seem strange to prematurely introduce an entire IP to Smash Bros.

Neoxon

Thats most of the smash bros , fanbase. If you think most of the people who buy like mario kart or Smash Bros, are posting about it on the web besides " whats your favorite game " you are fucking delusional. This, this, isn't reflective of most people who buy smash.

take a look at that fucking image.

You wanna why i don't like it
So not only does the list maker admit on the image that they have completely arbitrary list based on factors outside of popularity. It says viable contenders list, implying that these are the only viable contenders, that these are the people you need to be voting for, based on arbitrary non reflective data they have pulled out of their ass, by looking at some forums, and other miscellaneous bullshit. They implication that these are " who they people want " and "who you need to vote for " Really really , a list with fucking black shadow from f zero. OR monita or anyone from advnced wars. That should tell you something, it is not reflective no where near reflective the amount of people who would be voting .

And next point, no one at nintendo says they have to pick to the top people, so even if it was there is no guarantee of anything.

Its to make someone feel better on the inside. Thats it.
Notice how I said social media as well. A ton of people get on Facebook & Twitter. They may not campaign like us, but they're on there.

I would love that in some roundabout way after deciding back when SSB4 was revealed to shut up about K. Rool since DKCTF made it obvious Dixie was way more relevant we're possibly going to get him anyway purely due to fan demand.

Or instead we get Waluigi. Fuck it.

Rafaelcsa

I like the inklings a lot but I won't vote for them as I think they should be a prominent newcomer for Smash 5. I don't think a major new series by EAD should just be DLC. Otherwise what are we gonna get for Smash 5? Assuming that game will come out someday, even if Sakurai won't be involved anymore. Does anyone else think alike?

Neoxon

I like the inklings a lot but I won't vote for them as I think they should be a prominent newcomer for Smash 5. I don't think a major new series by EAD should just be DLC. Otherwise what are we gonna get for Smash 5? Assuming that game will come out someday, even if Sakurai won't be involved anymore. Does anyone else think alike?
I kinda feel that way as well. While if we don't get Wonder Red now he'll fade into obscurity, the Inklings will most likely still be relatively fresh in our minds by the time Smash 5 comes around (unless the game bombs worse than anything before it *knocks on wood*).

Village

Notice how I said social media as well. A ton of people get on Facebook & Twitter. They may not campaign like us, but they're on there.

Everyone on facebook and twitter isn't everyone voting on this. And guy collecting data probably can't even find all of the people on Facebook and twitter who have mentioned something about it.

This data is reflective of nothing.

It should have tipped you off, when king k rool is big at the top, and fucking monita, advanced wars characters, and black shadow from F zero was on the list. You know F zero that thing no one actually gives to shits about.

You should have been tipped off when the list admits that is arbitrary at best and a pipe dream at worst at the top of it.

You should have been tipped off when it added arbitrary rules that they have no actual idea about what sakurai is actually going to do .

Its a nothing list, to make some guy and a few smucks who feel the same feel good. Its some sort of false validation at best and delusion at worst. It is not reflective of anything and every time you post that shit you need to post "Bullshit i found on 4chan " .Because that what it actually is, reference that that, they would pay it the amount of respect that deserves, nothing. Just " oh that's neat"

I wonder if they'd add Saiyan style anime hair and some kind of heavy DBZ inspired gi as Mii DLC to satiate the roaring Goku demand.

Pointy yellow/black hair could be used for a bunch of different uses too, not just Goku, if it's generic enough.

There's already vaguely Saiyan armor in the game for brawler, so it's not really out of place.

m0t0k1

Voted for
Hyrule-Warriors-47-1280x1280.jpg
Lana with alt costume Cia. I wanted a new magic user that is quick and nimble. The Robin idea sounded great at first but i kinda feel like he is to slow to be perfect for me. I wanted to vote for someone from the goemon series like goemon himself the most. But getting him should be harder then Lana. Also wanted to have an Idolm@ster character but except for Dearly Stars and the drum games we don't get much im@s plus it isnt very known in the west either so it was kind of an strategic vote.

I kinda feel that way as well. While if we don't get Wonder Red now he'll fade into obscurity, the Inklings will most likely still be relatively fresh in our minds by the time Smash 5 comes around (unless the game bombs worse than anything before it *knocks on wood*).
I kinda hope Nintendo gives W101 a second shot purely to give its sales the benefit of the doubt since it was a Wii U title that wasn't Mario. At the same time I think Wonder Red's too new to be a DLC newcomer IP for this game, while Shulk/Xenoblade despite only being a couple years younger also had Monolith Soft's history with helping out on big Nintendo titles to go alongside its inclusion.

I'm so confused.
Castlevania is unlike Mario, or Sonic, as there are no characters playable in majority of entries. This partially applies to MGS and TLoZ too, but they have some common aspects of most main characters, and they're quite visible, so that's what gets represented. This also partially applies to Mother, but one, it's first-party, two, it has way less games than Castlevania. And also to Mega Man, but there the main characters are present in most sub-series, so Mega Man represents mostly one of these. So if Castlevania got considered, Simon has a disadvantage compared to a bunch of other third-party candidates.

That's how I read it.

Voted for

Lana with alt costume Cia. I wanted a new magic user that is quick and nimble. The Robin idea sounded great at first but i kinda feel like he is to slow to be perfect for me. I wanted to vote for someone from the goemon series like goemon himself the most. But getting him should be harder then Lana. Also wanted to have an Idolm@ster character but except for Dearly Stars and the drum games we don't get much im@s plus it isnt very known in the west either so it was kind of an strategic vote.

Wow, I never even considered Lana but now I'd be 100% behind her being added to the roster. She's a hell of a lot of fun to play as in Hyrule Warriors, and I could see her playstyle and moves translating really well to Smash.

Sadly, I don't think Sakurai would ever consider her on account of her being too similar to Robin on a surface level. Good call, though!

Neoxon

I kinda hope Nintendo gives W101 a second shot purely to give its sales the benefit of the doubt since it was a Wii U title that wasn't Mario. At the same time I think Wonder Red's too new to be a DLC newcomer IP for this game, while Shulk/Xenoblade despite only being a couple years younger also had Monolith Soft's history with helping out on big Nintendo titles to go alongside its inclusion.
If Splatoon does well, then Nintendo won't think much of W101. If Splatoon somehow fails to catch on, then they may consider a second shot for both on the NX (assuming it's a console).

Neoxon

Everyone on facebook and twitter isn't everyone voting on this. And guy collecting data probably can't even find all of the people on Facebook and twitter who have mentioned something about it.

This data is reflective of nothing.

It should have tipped you off, when king k rool is big at the top, and fucking monita, advanced wars characters, and black shadow from F zero was on the list. You know F zero that thing no one actually gives to shits about.

You should have been tipped off when the list admits that is arbitrary at best and a pipe dream at worst at the top of it.

You should have been tipped off when it added arbitrary rules that they have no actual idea about what sakurai is actually going to do .

Its a nothing list, to make some guy and a few smucks who feel the same feel good. Its some sort of false validation at best and delusion at worst. It is not reflective of anything and every time you post that shit you need to post "Bullshit i found on 4chan " .Because that what it actually is, reference that that, they would pay it the amount of respect that deserves, nothing. Just " oh that's neat"
King K. Rool has been a big request even before now, so I wouldn't call that a reason to go against the estimates. Though you may have a point with the others.

If Splatoon does well, then Nintendo won't think much of W101. If Splatoon somehow fails to catch on, then they may consider a second shot for both on the NX (assuming it's a console).
Wouldn't a hypothetical W101 sequel just go to Platinum again instead of taking up resources inside-Nintendo? Kamiya's made it pretty clear he'd jump at the chance to work on it again with Nintendo so it's just a matter of DOSH.

Also fuck Lana; at least Cia despite being equally out of place has the benefit of being a bizarre hyrulian version of Doronjo from Yatterman right down to the idiot henchmen while having an amusingly dumb motive
plus tits
. Lana is just obnoxious and takes up movesets that could've gone to Makar and a couple other actual Zelda characters.

Neoxon

Wouldn't a hypothetical W101 sequel just go to Platinum again instead of taking up resources inside-Nintendo? Kamiya's made it pretty clear he'd jump at the chance to work on it again with Nintendo so it's just a matter of DOSH.
Nintendo still has to fund the game, & it's a matter of if they see a W101 sequel as worth the cash.

Though I'd love Nintendo to give the series another shot with a sequel on the NX (again, assuming it's a console) bundled with a remaster of the first game & proper marketing on-par with Splatoon, I'm not sure if they would.
;_;

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Splatoon chick would be a great addition, as I feel they could think up some interesting new moves to keep her character distinct, and the more unique IPs that get repped the better. Same goes for a Wonder character. If we must stick to Nintendo I'd prefer something like that over plucking a roster-similar character from an already repped IP.

I seriously want Snake back bad but I know it's not happening. With that in mind I'd love to see Sakurai say fuck it and bring back Ice Climbers. I'm still bummed such a unique set of characters was culled from the roster more or less exclusively because of the utter garbage 3DS hardware.

Neoxon

Splatoon chick would be a great addition, as I feel they could think up some interesting new moves to keep her character distinct, and the more unique IPs that get repped the better. Same goes for a Wonder character. If we must stick to Nintendo I'd prefer something like that over plucking a roster-similar character from an already repped IP.

I seriously want Snake back bad but I know it's not happening. With that in mind I'd love to see Sakurai say fuck it and bring back Ice Climbers. I'm still bummed such a unique set of characters was culled from the roster more or less exclusively because of the utter garbage 3DS hardware.
Given the way they're distributing the DLC, they're definitely sticking with roster parity. A shame considering I'd personally like to see the Ice Climbers come back, but I'm sure they'll be back in the next Smash game (when the next portable will most likely be able to handle the dy-syncing AI).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Given the way they're distributing the DLC, they're definitely sticking with roster parity. A shame considering I'd personally like to see the Ice Climbers come back, but I'm sure they'll be back in the next Smash game (when the next portable will most likely be able to handle the dy-syncing AI).

Yeah :(. So fucking lame. Wii U-tier hardware game ultimately restricted by a sub-GCN hardware portable.

Rafaelcsa

Exactly. Splatoon deserves the full treatment of receiving one or two stages, music, trophies, etc. If it's added as a DLC it's possible it won't get any of that. And it's a given that the series will be added to Smash 5 even if it isn't this time around.

Now is the time for the little guys to shine on the spotlight. Wonder Red is a good choice and so are other ones like Captain Syrup, Jimmy T, King Hippo, Captain Rainbow, Elite Beat Agents, etc. These have little of chance of making into the game without this poll.

Neoxon

Yeah :(. So fucking lame. Wii U-tier hardware game ultimately restricted by a sub-GCN hardware portable.
It also means that they can't go too crazy with Wonder Red if by some miracle he gets added.

Exactly. Splatoon deserves the full treatment of receiving one or two stages, music, trophies, etc. If it's added as a DLC it's possible it won't get any of that. And it's a given that the series will be added to Smash 5 even if it isn't this time around.

Now is the time for the little guys to shine on the spotlight. Wonder Red is a good choice and so are other ones like Captain Syrup, Jimmy T, King Hippo, Captain Rainbow, Elite Beat Agents, etc. These have little of chance of making into the game without this poll.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. We're still due for the Miiverse stage, so I have no doubt in my mind that we're gonna get more DLC stages.

I find it a bit strange when people request characters that are already assist trophies, I think Sakurai made a conscious decision to not make those characters playable for whatever his reasons are. Little Mac was most likely promoted between games due to Punch-Out being rebooted, the assist characters in 4 don't really have that luxury.

Also the Inklings request are a bit premature, I think they could be great characters, but maybe we should wait for Splatoon to be released first.

The entire appeal to me with a Wonderful 101 rep would be how every special is a different member using their signature key move, which would require at least four of them (and to keep a large variety of moves available honestly would need the eight). No way is that shit working on the 3DS, or even 8-player Smash on the Wii U.

Firemind

Castlevania is unlike Mario, or Sonic, as there are no characters playable in majority of entries. This partially applies to MGS and TLoZ too, but they have some common aspects of most main characters, and they're quite visible, so that's what gets represented. This also partially applies to Mother, but one, it's first-party, two, it has way less games than Castlevania. And also to Mega Man, but there the main characters are present in most sub-series, so Mega Man represents mostly one of these. So if Castlevania got considered, Simon has a disadvantage compared to a bunch of other third-party candidates.

That's how I read it.
Simon represented the series in DreamMix TV World Fighters.

BELIEVE

I wouldn't necessarily say that. We're still due for the Miiverse stage, so I have no doubt in my mind that we're gonna get more DLC stages.

Paid stage DLC is going to be a little different I imagine because there won't be crossbuy because some stage concepts just don't work on the 3DS.

Like Fountain of Dreams for example. Prime candidate for DLC. Probably wouldn't work right on the 3DS, or would look awful like Brinstar and Corneria do.

So they'd have to add some stage to the 3DS to go with it, or just sell it for the Wii U, but all DLC up to this point has supported crossbuy.

Neoxon

I find it a bit strange when people request characters that are already assist trophies, I think Sakurai made a conscious decision to not make those characters playable for whatever his reasons are. Little Mac was most likely promoted between games due to Punch-Out being rebooted, the assist characters in 4 don't really have that luxury.

Also the Inklings request are a bit premature, I think they could be great characters, but maybe we should wait for Splatoon to be released first.
Of the Assist Trophies, I think Isabelle stands the best chance of being promoted in the next game given her popularity right now.

The entire appeal to me with a Wonderful 101 rep would be how every special is a different member using their signature key move, which would require at least four of them (and to keep a large variety of moves available honestly would need the eight). No way is that shit working on the 3DS, or even 8-player Smash on the Wii U.
I mentioned earlier the idea of just having the other Wonderful Ones show up for a move or two & disappearing. It wouldn't cause too much of a strain on the 3DS & it'd give Wonder Red more variety in his moveset.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Inkling already is DLC and Nintendo is just waiting for E3 to show them.
Eh, I'm not too sure about that, more so given the fact that Splatoon is an unproven IP. If anything, Wolf is the safer bet that will likely be revealed at E3 to accompany the inevitable Star Fox U trailer.

It also means that they can't go too crazy with Wonder Red if by some miracle he gets added.

If they aren't able to put in Wonder Red as a character, I at least hope W101 gets a stage or an assist trophy. The game only having a few trophies and 2 songs is such a shame.

Ahnez

I hope Inklings are DLC

Because if they are not and Splatoon bombs, then they will have no chance to be newcomers in SSB5

Neoxon

If they aren't able to put in Wonder Red as a character, I at least hope W101 gets a stage or an assist trophy. The game only having a few trophies and 2 songs is such a shame.
I never said Wonder Red was impossible, he just can't get too creative. Though I'm not too sure if we'll get Assist Trophies as DLC.

Also, did Quick give you that #WonderRed4Smash text & Wonder Mask for your avatar or did you copy-paste the text from my avatar & added the mask yourself?

woopWOOP

Simon represented the series in DreamMix TV World Fighters.

BELIEVE
It had the fruity looking redhead design tho, which is my fear when he actually gets through.

Tho it worked out for Pacman in the end, so I hope Sakurai will be going with the ol' medieval armor and mullet Belmont.

What if Splatoon comes out and it's awful?

Then Smash is stuck with a veteran from a bad game that will only remain popular and relevant due to Smash and we'll basically have a second Roy, except one with a unique move set.

Just a thought. I'd like them to be a little careful adding characters from games that aren't even out yet.

Ryce

This is longwinded, but bear with me…

Rosalina & Luma, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Dark Pit, Robin, Lucina, and Greninja didn’t exist during the planning and development of Brawl.

Palutena, Little Mac, and Bowser Jr. were created long before Brawl, but they got into the latest Smash Bros. because of post-Brawl games. They’re based on Kid Icarus: Uprising, Punch-Out!! Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U, respectively. Similarly, Sakurai briefly considered including Miis in Brawl, but at the time they were seen as friendly avatars. They’ve since appeared in more action-oriented games, and that made Sakurai more comfortable with putting them in Smash Bros.

Duck Hunt is a retro character, and we can probably expect to see another resurrected classic in the next Smash Bros. On the same note, Sakurai only wanted to include 1-2 guest characters in Brawl.

Villager is the only newcomer who could have plausibly been included in Brawl. That’s one character out of 15. It’s not unreasonable to assume that the field of candidates for the next Smash Bros. will consist largely of newly relevant classic characters, characters who don’t currently exist, and a couple of retro/guest characters.

None of us know what the state of Nintendo will be in five years, so withholding potential DLC in order to make the roster of a hypothetical future Smash Bros. seem more attractive is utterly pointless. Let Sakurai cross that bridge when he comes to it. Including two or three newcomers as DLC isn’t going to negatively impact the next Smash Bros.

Neoxon

I hope Inklings are DLC

Because if they are not and Splatoon bombs, then they will have no chance to be newcomers in SSB5
But there's also this issue...

Then Smash is stuck with a veteran from a bad game that will only remain popular and relevant due to Smash and we'll basically have a second Roy, except one with a unique move set.

Just a thought. I'd like them to be a little careful adding characters from games that aren't even out yet.
Roy's game ended up being meh at best &, as far as I know, was mostly condemned by the Fire Emblem fanbase (most of his fans now are Smash players). I'd rather wait & let Splatoon prove itself as an IP before we start supporting the Inklings.

Just for reference, I already pre-ordered the game & the Amiibo pack.

Villager is the only newcomer who could have plausibly been included in Brawl. That’s one character out of 15. It’s not unreasonable to assume that the field of candidates for the next Smash Bros. will consist largely of newly relevant classic characters, characters who don’t currently exist, and a couple of retro/guest characters.

Villager not being in Brawl was a huge glaring omission in the roster for me personally. After his stage got shown I got excited for an AC rep, and then it never happened. Brawl came out with guns blazing with its spot on roster, but Villager was a hole in an otherwise near perfect roster. I can't really think of a single new comer in Brawl that wasn't massively requested, or wasn't an amazing addition to the roster, other than Toon Link but he was barely a new comer and he ended up growing on most people.

His reasoning was that the character was peaceful and wouldn't fight or something like that. Glad he changed his mind.

Ryce

To be fair, when has a Nintendo EAD game with glowing pre-release impressions ever turned out awful?

Villager not being in Brawl was a huge glaring omission in the roster for me personally. After his stage got shown I got excited for an AC rep, and then it never happened.

His reasoning was that the character was peaceful and wouldn't fight or something like that. Glad he changed his mind.
Yep. He's my favorite newcomer on principle alone.

Neoxon

To be fair, when has a Nintendo EAD game with glowing pre-release impressions ever turned out awful?
It's more of a "what if" scenario than anything else. I'm sure the game will be good, but it's something to consider.

I never said Wonder Red was impossible, he just can't get too creative. Though I'm not too sure if we'll get Assist Trophies as DLC.

Also, did Quick give you that #WonderRed4Smash text & Wonder Mask for your avatar or did you copy-paste the text from my avatar & added the mask yourself?

I took it from your avatar, bot it got compressed a bit by doing so :p. Wonder Red could work if they use all 7 main Wonderful Ones for the moves but the other 6 are constantly in a unite morph. So Red could use the others as a fist while Blue comes out for a sword attack made by the other 6 and so on. That way the others wouldn't really be on screen and it would just be one character. The problem is that the morphs would probably be too big...

woopWOOP

If a franchise bombing is a reason to leave out fighters, why ya'll voting for Wonder Red then.

I voted Inkling because just being a fancy new IP doesn't mean it'll automatically get a slot in the new Smash. Dillon's Rolling Western got two eShop games and he's stuck with AT duty now.

Scoop-Li

It probably means nothing but what are Dixie Kong's chances to be a DLC character when she's currently an item in Smash Tour and no other playable character is?

Of the Assist Trophies, I think Isabelle stands the best chance of being promoted in the next game given her popularity right now.

I agree, but I haven't the foggiest what her moveset could be. Throwing fruit and erecting public works projects?

I voted K.Rool anyway, I've wanted the doofus since Melee. Didn't bother voting for any veterans, I figure whoever returns is already decided on. Wonder-Red would be my runner-up, W101 is still my favourite game on Wii U and overall Platinum game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom