• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a franchise bombing is a reason to leave out fighters, why ya'll voting for Wonder Red then.

I voted Inkling because just being a fancy new IP doesn't mean it'll automatically get a slot in the new Smash. Dillon's Rolling Western got two eShop games and he's stuck with AT duty now.

Dillon isn't really comparable to Splatoon. The marketing and money behind Splatoon is way more than an eShop only series.

If the game is good and sells decently well, Inklings are a shoe in for Smash 5. They'd be the Olimar and Shulk of that game, a game that was released around the previous Smash's release that was well reviewed and sold modestly well.

Since the game will be good and will probably sell alright given its marketing, I definitely see Inklings in Smash 5. Not sure if I see them as DLC though, they're perfect as a big time character for Smash 5, a game that will need all the important characters it can get because the big time obvious characters have already been added.

Ugh, Wolf is such a waste :/

Wolf >>>>>>> Falco. Wolf is the second proper rep that Star Fox deserves.

Castlevania is unlike Mario, or Sonic, as there are no characters playable in majority of entries. This partially applies to MGS and TLoZ too, but they have some common aspects of most main characters, and they're quite visible, so that's what gets represented. This also partially applies to Mother, but one, it's first-party, two, it has way less games than Castlevania. And also to Mega Man, but there the main characters are present in most sub-series, so Mega Man represents mostly one of these. So if Castlevania got considered, Simon has a disadvantage compared to a bunch of other third-party candidates.

That's how I read it.

I guess that makes sense, although Simon was almost always the Castlevania character to appear in crossovers or as a guest. He's kind of the guy.

It had the fruity looking redhead design tho, which is my fear when he actually gets through.

Tho it worked out for Pacman in the end, so I hope Sakurai will be going with the ol' medieval armor and mullet Belmont.
I imagine he'd have his Castlevania 1 look along with his Chronicles look.

If a franchise bombing is a reason to leave out fighters, why ya'll voting for Wonder Red then.

I voted Inkling because just being a fancy new IP doesn't mean it'll automatically get a slot in the new Smash. Dillon's Rolling Western got two eShop games and he's stuck with AT duty now.

It's a reason for Nintendo to leave out fighters. That's why we're voting for his inclusion. Even if they don't add him as DLC, at least they'll know there's interest in the character by the people that actually did buy and love W101, so maybe they'll add him in the next smash game.

i wouldn't be surprised if all cut characters are first, imo they would be the "easiest" to put in

Roy sweatn' , hes getting back in ;p

Honestly if you asked me before the whole DLC stuff who I would rate coming back, I'd have put Roy with Lucas on the popularity scale, with Mewtwo, Wolf and Snake above them. Like a solid medium on the popularity scale.

So seeing Lucas getting in makes me think Roy isn't impossible. Especially given the ease of adding him since his body is based on Marth (much like Lucas' body is based on Ness, even if they have different animations).

He seems to have gotten pretty far developed in Brawl, which means they may already have a Luigified moveset planned for him from that game. They could make him the Luigi to Marth's Doctor Mario... if that makes sense. Two characters derived from the same base, but one that is a true clone and another that only vaguely resembles the base character.

Neoxon

Nintendo's not gonna add Wonder Red on their own for this reason, hence why we're voting for him.

Wolf

we gon' have fun with thang.

The bes

I know they'll probably make Wolf have a bad English accent in Smash just to be consistent with the other two, but his Brawl voice is just so great they really need to just overlook the minor inconsistency, save some money re-recording lines, and keep his Brawl voice.

m0t0k1

Wow, I never even considered Lana but now I'd be 100% behind her being added to the roster. She's a hell of a lot of fun to play as in Hyrule Warriors, and I could see her playstyle and moves translating really well to Smash.

Sadly, I don't think Sakurai would ever consider her on account of her being too similar to Robin on a surface level. Good call, though!

They could mix her up a bit in so many ways as magic user. She could also use the deku staff like a hadouken move for example a deku scrub summoning and shooting peas. other move could be the mirrors kinda reflecting like palutena mirror or you could set them up and explode them like urien from street fighter 3rd strike or something as specials. Hitting witht the book or small energy sparks out of the book and the footdives as normal attacks. Final Smash the summoning gate spamming a large monster. She just has so many possibilities that fits smash move set that i hope more people will vote for her. Thanks for the support and keep believing :p

woopWOOP

Nintendo's not gonna add Wonder Red on their own for this reason, hence why we're voting for him.
Sure, and it's why I'm voting for Inkling.

Gotta make super sure the game gets a playable fighter, ain't gonna leave that to probably mixed reviews based on the game's online functionalities. (also I can't wait another 7 years for new Smash, I want Inkling now!)

It will be Isabelle and you know it.

AC could have a ridiculous character called "Neighbor" that is just a bunch of random neighbor skins with a unique moveset shared between them.

So 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 pigs and 2 bears. They all have a similar body shape and head shape and you could use a bunch of really cool, popular and unique neighbors.

Zalman

I wouldn't mind if they waited until the next game to add Inkling. Let that franchise grow. Meanwhile, add other franchises you've missed along the way. Golden Sun, Advance Wars etc.

Neoxon

Sure, and it's why I'm voting for Inkling.

Gotta make super sure the game gets a playable fighter, ain't gonna leave that to probably mixed reviews based on the game's online functionalities. (also I can't wait another 7 years for new Smash, I want Inkling now!)
Nintendo's marketing Splatoon like crazy. I'm sure it'll at least be a modest success, at least enough for it to stay in memory until Smash 5.

RaidenXZ

I just want Solid Snake back. After the way Kojima is getting screwed over by Konami, I just want to see my old friend sneak back onto the scene and brawl with the roster one more time :'(

Come on people! We gotta vote for Snake! It is your mission comrades! La Li Lu Le Lo!

Also, he better be voiced by David Hayter or else its going to be weird lol

Neoxon

I just want Solid Snake back. After the way Kojima is getting screwed over by Konami, I just want to see my old friend sneak back onto the scene and brawl with the roster one more time :'(

Come on people! We gotta vote for Snake! It is your mission comrades! La Li Lu Le Lo!

Also, he better be voiced by David Hayter or else its going to be weird lol
This is exactly why I'm concerned for Snake's chances. Kojima was the one who got Snake in the game, so I'm not sure if he will come back without Kojima.

just voted for my queen <3
CB1kyFOUoAAmk8y.jpg

I'm surprised that the Inkling isn't the next DLC for Smash. Yeah sure, people love the Lucas but it doesn't make much sense to add a 2nd DLC character right around the same time as Spaltoon is coming out. It just would've made sense.
Especially seeing as the Inkling design has been pretty well received since Spaltoon was revealed.

I can't think of any other characters I want in the game that aren't Wonder Red or Bayonetta.

Neoxon

I'm surprised that the Inkling isn't the next DLC for Smash. Yeah sure, people love the Lucas but it doesn't make much sense to add a 2nd DLC character right around the same time as Spaltoon is coming out. It just would've made sense.
Especially seeing as the Inkling design has been pretty well received since Spaltoon was revealed.

I can't think of any other characters I want in the game that aren't Wonder Red or Bayonetta.
While yes, veterans still have to be remade from scratch, they don't have to worry about making up a new moveset (as shown by Mewtwo retaining his Melee moveset). Plus, as stated earlier, Splatoon is an unproven new IP at the moment.

RomanceDawn

It probably means nothing but what are Dixie Kong's chances to be a DLC character when she's currently an item in Smash Tour and no other playable character is?

I doubt it means anything. It's kind of like people worried that there was Mewtwo trophy before Mewtwo was revealed. If Duck Hunt can be playable and a stage hazard/obstacle then Dixie can be what ever Sakurai wants.

RaidenXZ

This is exactly why I'm concerned for Snake's chances. Kojima was the one who got Snake in the game, so I'm not sure if he will come back without Kojima.

This was probably the reason Snake didn't return. The whole Konami vs. Kojima scenario is really pissing me off so much! Next to Zelda, MGS is my favorite series of all time, and the bullshit happening with it right now is so heartbreaking. Really hope to mystically see Snake in the game though.

I would also kill to have Banjo in it! And it's so weird seeing Banjo having a slight advantage over Snake for getting in the game lol

I've quit buying amiibos after I bought Toad, but believe me, I would be there the second a store opens just to preorder a Banjo or Snake amiibo lol

Neoxon

I doubt it means anything. It's kind of like people worried that there was Mewtwo trophy before Mewtwo was revealed. If Duck Hunt can be playable and a stage hazard/obstacle then Dixie can be what ever Sakurai wants.
I think he means the fact that Dixie, unlike Mewtwo or Lucas, has her trophy used as an item in Smash Tour.

Neoxon

This was probably the reason Snake didn't return. The whole Konami vs. Kojima scenario is really pissing me off so much! Next to Zelda, MGS is my favorite series of all time, and the bullshit happening with it right now is so heartbreaking. Really hope to mystically see Snake in the game though.

I would also kill to have Banjo in it! And it's so weird seeing Banjo having a slight advantage over Snake for getting in the game lol

I've quit buying amiibos after I bought Toad, but believe me, I would be there the second a store opens just to preorder a Banjo or Snake amiibo lol
The Konami-Kojima stuff occurred after Smash 4 came out, so something else caused Snake's removal.

As for Banjo, while I like Banjo as a character, he's a pipe dream at best. Sure, Microsoft is cool with it, but it'd require Nintendo to work with a direct competitor in the console race & provide advertising for a competitor's game. There's just too much going against Banjo from a financial & logical standpoint for it to happen, especially when you factor in Amiibos.

RaidenXZ

The Konami-Kojima stuff occurred after Smash 4 came out, so something else caused Snake's removal.

As for Banjo, while I like Banjo as a character, he's a pipe dream at best. Sure, Microsoft is cool with it, but it'd require Nintendo to work with a direct competitor in the console race & provide advertising for a competitor's game. There's just too much going against Banjo from a financial & logical standpoint for it to happen, especially when you factor in Amiibos.

Im sure there could have been problems before Smash 4's release with Konami. We just found out about it recently. The problems could have been kept way more internal than what they turned in to.

As for Banjo, Smash Bros really promoted Snake for Sony when Brawl came out. Brawl came out before MGS4 and had many MGS4 elements involved with it. Plus Snake took on the look for MGS2, which never came to a Nintendo console, so I'm sure they would be ok with Banjo more or less

Neoxon

Im sure there could have been problems before Smash 4's release with Konami. We just found out about it recently. The problems could have been kept way more internal than what they turned in to.

As for Banjo, Smash Bros really promoted Snake for Sony when Brawl came out. Brawl came out before MGS4 and had many MGS4 elements involved with it. Plus Snake took on the look for MGS2, which never came to a Nintendo console, so I'm sure they would be ok with Banjo more or less
The difference is that Snake is a third party character who still can show up on Nintendo consoles. Banjo is a first party character for a rival company, which is a much more complicated scenario.

Neoxon

But yeah, we definitely need more stages.

- Dream Land 64
- Fountain of Dreams
- Pokémon Stadium 1
- Yoshi's Story
- Yoshi's Island (already on the 3DS)

All of these need to be on the Wii U version.

JCX

But yeah, we definitely need more stages.

- Dream Land 64
- Fountain of Dreams
- Pokémon Stadium 1
- Yoshi's Story
- Yoshi's Island (already on the 3DS)

All of these need to be on the Wii U version.

I would trade mewtwo and lucas for the chance to play on Poke Floats again. Maybe a Poke Floats updated for the newest gens.

Neoxon

I would trade mewtwo and lucas for the chance to play on Poke Floats again. Maybe a Poke Floats updated for the newest gens.
The last thing we need are more banned stages. Bring on the tournament-legal ones first, the ones Smash U is kinda lacking in.

Best stage with that concept would be Super Training from X/Y. It's pretty similar in appearance to Poke Floats, plus they'd already have most of the assets already made and ready to pump straight into the 3DS stage with a little bit of alteration. It would work well as a 3DS stage at least, with Wii U maybe getting some other stages from actual console releases (early Pokken based stage?).

Neoxon

I don't think a lot of peeps care about what is or isn't tourney legal
Exactly, might as well please both sides. Casuals will enjoy new stages regardless (& the stages I listed are actually good stages), while the tournament scene will be hyped to have more stages that we can actually use at tournaments.

JCX

The last thing we need are more banned stages. Bring on the tournament-legal ones first, the ones Smash U is kinda lacking in.

Once stage sharing comes out, can't tourney people remake all the flat w/ platforms stages that they'd like? Poke Floats can't be remade in stage builder.

Also not sure why it's banned anyway, since I don't recall any stage hazards that cause damage. Is it the Porygon?

Neoxon

But you'll get Omega Poke Floats!
All Omega stages are counter-picks, & are banned if FD is banned (& vice versa). What we want is more variety for the competitive scene, Omega Poké Floats will just be lumped up with the rest of the Omega stages.

Once stage sharing comes out, can't tourney people remake all the flat w/ platforms stages that they'd like? Poke Floats can't be remade in stage builder.

Also not sure why it's banned anyway, since I don't recall any stage hazards that cause damage. Is it the Porygon?
Custom stages cause too much of a hassle when it comes to sharing, more so since we can't put them in one 3DS & mass distribute them across set-ups like we can for custom moves since the 3DS doesn't support custom stages. Plus legal stages like Dream Land 64 & Pokémon Stadium 1 cannot be done on custom stages.

As for the banning of Poké Floats, it's because the platforms show up everywhere with no constant platform, same reason why the Pilotwings stage is banned.

J@hranimo

Banned
He beats falco with ease.

Homie is a gruff wolf that fights with his claws.

he is automatically several percent cooler than a pheasant

That continues to be defeated by Star fox team including Falco haha. I just think Falco is the coolest character who is better than Fox himself, but isn't a good enough leader. It's all good though, Falco is my dude since Melee days.

edit: First post boyssssss lol

How many characters after Metwo and Lucas do people see being added realistically? I'm thinking around 4. I would predict Wolf, Inkling/Wonder Red, Impa and K. Rool.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A lot of stages would become decent if we had a stage hazard toggle.

Yeah this too, big time. I mean, fuck new characters full stop. If Mario Kart 8 can get a 200cc line of code, give me a goddamn stage hazard toggle in Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom