• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
That continues to be defeated by Star fox team including Falco haha. I just think Falco is the coolest character who is better than Fox himself, but isn't a good enough leader. It's all good though, Falco is my dude since Melee days.

edit: First post boyssssss lol

But he's.. Nevermind.

How many characters after Metwo and Lucas do people see being added realistically? I'm thinking around 4. I would predict Wolf, Inkling/Wonder Red, Impa and K. Rool.

Only 2.

Trago

I think we can get some good use out of this for when the next DLC character is revealed lol.

ihBM6wp.gif

This game desperately needs more stages. The 3DS version had better looking stages imo. There's too much samey stages in the Wii U version. Also, for every retro stage added, there should be 2 new ones.

I also would like the outlines from the 3DS version added here.

Durden77

Iz all bout dat Snake

Iz all bout dat Snake (yuh)

Iz all bout dat Snake

Iz all bout dat Snake (yuh)

Read with a hip hop tune for maximum effect.

Boney

Banned
This was a live reaction apparently.
So? Put a Camara in front of you and you'll make a show for everyone who is watching. Someone posted a Lucas one that was blatantly overreacted, and didn't even watch like 3/4 of the video.
It's just for hits, can't believe people are suckered in on it

Trago

So? Put a Camara in front of you and you'll make a show for everyone who is watching. Someone posted a Lucas one that was blatantly overreacted, and didn't even watch like 3/4 of the video.
It's just for hits, can't believe people are suckered in on it

Still funny tho.

The last thing we need are more banned stages. Bring on the tournament-legal ones first, the ones Smash U is kinda lacking in.

Even with competitive Melee players, Pokefloats is a fun stage they enjoy. It might not be legal, but that literally could not even be a further away reason for adding a new stage.

Especially when Event Mode already has versions of stages without hazards.

All Star does as well. So I know a toggle is in the code. We just need a way to toggle it.

Tyeforce

i wouldn't be surprised if all cut characters are first, imo they would be the "easiest" to put in

Roy sweatn' , hes getting back in ;p

Honestly if you asked me before the whole DLC stuff who I would rate coming back, I'd have put Roy with Lucas on the popularity scale, with Mewtwo, Wolf and Snake above them. Like a solid medium on the popularity scale.

So seeing Lucas getting in makes me think Roy isn't impossible. Especially given the ease of adding him since his body is based on Marth (much like Lucas' body is based on Ness, even if they have different animations).

He seems to have gotten pretty far developed in Brawl, which means they may already have a Luigified moveset planned for him from that game. They could make him the Luigi to Marth's Doctor Mario... if that makes sense. Two characters derived from the same base, but one that is a true clone and another that only vaguely resembles the base character.
Are people forgetting that there's already a Roy in Smash for 3DS/Wii U? How could Fire Emblem's Roy come back as long as we've got Koopaling Roy? They're not going to have two characters in the same game with the same exact name...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Fully support this. Would love to get some more stages and Venus Lighthouse would be fucking epic.

Yes! YES! It was one of my most wanted stage. I have a feeling that the stage would be beautiful.

Outside of my gut feeling of Wolf in August, I don't think any other character has been chosen yet.

I have a feeling that Sakurai might have one more character in his mind. When you think about the schedule,

Mewtwo - April
Lucas - June
Character - August
Character - October
"Ballot" - December/January
"Ballot" - Feb/March

Well, it's highly likely that we might get only 4 characters, but it would be awesome if we get more than that.

I find it a bit strange when people request characters that are already assist trophies, I think Sakurai made a conscious decision to not make those characters playable for whatever his reasons are. Little Mac was most likely promoted between games due to Punch-Out being rebooted, the assist characters in 4 don't really have that luxury.

Also the Inklings request are a bit premature, I think they could be great characters, but maybe we should wait for Splatoon to be released first.

Well, they could add the codes to not allow assist trophies to shown up anymore. However, I still have a doubt that assist characters from Smash 4 would become playable character. I'm going to support them nevertheless.

The entire appeal to me with a Wonderful 101 rep would be how every special is a different member using their signature key move, which would require at least four of them (and to keep a large variety of moves available honestly would need the eight). No way is that shit working on the 3DS, or even 8-player Smash on the Wii U.

Yeah it does.

Also im upset 3ds got the good pacman level

Pac Maze is godlike stage so I would love to see it in HD.

Ugh, Wolf is such a waste :/

If AC gets another rep it should be KK Slider

Nope, I really love Wolf's normal attacks since they feel so feral and aggressive; and I think I played as Wolf better than I did with Fox and Falco in Brawl. I hope that it would remain to to be in case for Smash 4 if we get Wolf.

Nintendo's not gonna add Wonder Red on their own for this reason, hence why we're voting for him.

As I think you have a good point but at same time, I think Sakurai would pick Wonder Red for next gen Smash because he would provide unique and interesting moveset and bring new style to Smash Bros franchise.

Remember Sakurai said that he's looking for unique style in the characters, not because they were popular or so. I think Wonder Red will be one of those character in next gen Smash. I have a good feeling about it. Keep voting for Wonder Red because I want Sakura to think about Wonder Red for next Smash if he opted to not use Wonder Red for DLC.

But you'll get Omega Poke Floats!

I still want Poke Float stage to return. I wish that they bundle Poke Float with Mewtwo.

The last thing we need are more banned stages. Bring on the tournament-legal ones first, the ones Smash U is kinda lacking in.

Yes, I agreed with you there. We need good balance between two different kind of stages for everyone.

Yeah this too, big time. I mean, fuck new characters full stop. If Mario Kart 8 can get a 200cc line of code, give me a goddamn stage hazard toggle in Smash 4.

Definitely THIS! We need Stage Hazard Toggle. I meant they actually did that for 8 players Smash stages. They got rid of most of hazards.

Are people forgetting that there's already a Roy in Smash for 3DS/Wii U? How could Fire Emblem's Roy come back as long as we've got Koopaling Roy? They're not going to have two characters in the same game with the same exact name...

Well, Lucina is our new Roy tho.

"Roy Koopa"

It's not that hard.

Alternately, "Lord Roy" / "Prince Roy"

Not only do hazard free stages exist already, the game supports alt-stage toggling with the L button already on BOTH versions.

It couldn't even be easier for them to implement :/

Neoxon

Yes! YES! It was one of my most wanted stage. I have a feeling that the stage would be beautiful.

I have a feeling that Sakurai might have one more character in his mind. When you think about the schedule,

Mewtwo - April
Lucas - June
Character - August
Character - October
"Ballot" - December/January
"Ballot" - Feb/March

Well, it's highly likely that we might get only 4 characters, but it would be awesome if we get more than that.

Well, they could add the codes to not allow assist trophies to shown up anymore. However, I still have a doubt that assist characters from Smash 4 would become playable character. I'm going to support them nevertheless.

Pac Maze is godlike stage so I would love to see it in HD.

Nope, I really love Wolf's normal attacks since they feel so feral and aggressive; and I think I played as Wolf better than I did with Fox and Falco in Brawl. I hope that it would remain to to be in case for Smash 4 if we get Wolf.

As I think you have a good point but at same time, I think Sakurai would pick Wonder Red for next gen Smash because he would provide unique and interesting moveset and bring new style to Smash Bros franchise.

Remember Sakurai said that he's looking for unique style in the characters, not because they were popular or so. I think Wonder Red will be one of those character in next gen Smash. I have a good feeling about it. Keep voting for Wonder Red because I want Sakura to think about Wonder Red for next Smash if he opted to not use Wonder Red for DLC.

I still want Poke Float stage to return. I wish that they bundle Poke Float with Mewtwo.

Yes, I agreed with you there. We need good balance between two different kind of stages for everyone.

Definitely THIS! We need Stage Hazard Toggle. I meant they actually did that for 8 players Smash stages. They got rid of most of hazards.

Well, Lucina is our new Roy tho.
I also thought this before, but some of the people on the Mibbit for SmashGAF thought it was a pipe dream at best. In theory, Sakurai may see a clear winner & may have that character ready for August. If there's no clear winner & they wait it out until the end, this is my guess...

April: Mewtwo
June: Lucas
August: Wolf (last first-party Brawl veteran with no 3DS limitations stopping him from coming back)
October: Chorus Kids (there's evidence showing they were already worked on, so it'd be easier for Sakurai to just finish them up & give us a newcomer)
December: Ballot Character 1
February 2016: Ballot Character 2

I'd say we get a 3rd Ballot character in April 2016, but that'd be pushing it. Of course, if there is a clear winner, you can change October to Ballot Character 1 & December to Ballot Character 2.

Simon is the first Castlevania protagonist, but he's far from the only Castlevania protagonist. I think that's what JB is getting at.
Basically. Like Fire Emblem, there have been many protagonists of the Castlevania series, and Simon is simply the first and most recurring, but he never has a consistence presence. At least Bomberman and Goemon's games are about them specifically.

Now it could be argued that the same is true of Final Fantasy. It never has a consistent protagonist, but the thing is that FF is the 11th highest grossing franchise of all-time and defines Square-Enix. Final Fantasy is to Square what Mario and Metal Gear are to Ninty and Konami. Choosing a lone Final Fantasy character is not the same as choosing a lone Castlevania character. Final Fantasy has never not been popular. It's gigantic.

In the end, I don't think this argument really matters. I doubt any third party characters other than Snake, Rayman or indies will be chosen.

It would be more cost effective for them to make all the DLC characters they'll ever want to make at the same time and then release them sporadically and just use the poll for PR purposes.

If they never release the actual results (which they probably won't) they can basically claim anyone scored well enough to be added despite them being done for months.

The Koopalings don't have last names in Japan, so that first option doesn't work, and Lord/Prince Roy would be inconsistent with the rest of the Fire Emblem cast.

We already have 3 characters in the game with entirely made up names (Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus and Mr Game and Watch), so I'm sure Japan can manage with him being called Roy Koopa.

It would be more cost effective for them to make all the DLC characters they'll ever want to make at the same time and then release them sporadically and just use the poll for PR purposes.

If they never release the actual results (which they probably won't) they can basically claim anyone scored well enough to be added despite them being done for months.
Don't dorget also the announcer already said he did a bunch of character names withou th knowing which ones would or would not be used. There's probably already a list of characters Sakurai has in mind. The poll probably just helps him whittle down whom he wants.

I also think if he's listening to the fans like he has been, we'll probably see more options become available like the suggested hazard toggle. Especially since the option already exists in the game.

Zalman

How many characters after Metwo and Lucas do people see being added realistically? I'm thinking around 4. I would predict Wolf, Inkling/Wonder Red, Impa and K. Rool.
I think they'll bring Wolf back and then choose 2-3 from the ballot. As for who they will choose, I'd say Inkling, Isaac, Impa and King K. Rool/Dixie Kong all have a decent shot. Wonder Red seems unrealistic to me.

Clefargle

I will support all of your fanciful ballot options as long as we get snake his rightful place in the CSS back first. I'd love to see wonder red, or K. Rool, or Daisy. But AFTER snake gets what is his.

TDLink

I agree that there are likely already 4 planned characters (including Mewtwo and Lucas), considering when the poll ends. Sakurai made it clear there wouldn't be many, but more than 1, character after the poll has been considered as well.

So yes, I find it incredibly likely we get 2 more between Lucas and the Poll ending in October...and then probably 2 - 3 after the Poll has ended.

Basically 6 - 7 DLC characters total.

RomanceDawn

I think he means the fact that Dixie, unlike Mewtwo or Lucas, has her trophy used as an item in Smash Tour.

Right, and I'm saying wouldn't something like double Duck Hunt Dogs be a bigger taboo? I don't think Dixie being a Smash Tour item hinders her chances.

Neoxon

I will support all of your fanciful ballot options as long as we get snake his rightful place in the CSS back first. I'd love to see wonder red, or K. Rool, or Daisy. But AFTER snake gets what is his.
That depends on if Konami, Kojima, & Nintendo will put aside each other's differences to give us what we want.

Roy Koopa is the equivalent of Roy Bowser in Japan. It's nonsensical.
It's such a trivial thing, it's hardly a reason to stop a requested character from being added...

If the announcer says the line differently, it wouldn't matter at all...

I'd also mention all three Miis use the same line, despite all three Miis have unique announcer lines in the files. (This should totally be fixed in a patch)

Put in another vote, it's the LONGEST of long shots but....
Rash from Battletoads!

Their exaggerated attacks and expressions would fit in perfectly with this newest addition of smash and I freaking loved that game!

Azure J

Voted for:

Takamaru
Mike Jones
Lip
Wonderful Ones/Wonder Red
Inklings
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Lyn
King K Rool
Viridi
Medusa
Daisy
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
Impa
Shantae
Ashley
Captain Syrup
Snake

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I also thought this before, but some of the people on the Mibbit for SmashGAF thought it was a pipe dream at best. In theory, Sakurai may see a clear winner & may have that character ready for August. If there's no clear winner & they wait it out until the end, this is my guess...

April: Mewtwo
June: Lucas
August: Wolf (last first-party Brawl veteran with no 3DS limitations stopping him from coming back)
October: Chorus Kids (there's evidence showing they were already worked on, so it'd be easier for Sakurai to just finish them up & give us a newcomer)
December: Ballot Character 1
February 2016: Ballot Character 2

I'd say we get a 3rd Ballot character in April 2016, but that'd be pushing it. Of course, if there is a clear winner, you can change October to Ballot Character 1 & December to Ballot Character 2.

For some reason, I really hope that they made a deal between Konami and Nintendo right before the drama happened so we could have Snake coming back. It's possible that Konami want money on it so they probably split it from DLC costs. Do I think that Snake is highly likely, nope but it would be nice to hope for something to happens.

I still want to see Chorus Kids coming back because of leaks itself. It really make everything about Chorus Kids become more interesting, like how they would work and how would they play. Also new franchise into Smash is welcome as well.

Getting more than 2 DLC characters already make me very happy so I'm grateful that we are getting DLC characters for Smash Bros.

Neoxon

I agree that there are likely already 4 planned characters (including Mewtwo and Lucas), considering when the poll ends. Sakurai made it clear there wouldn't be many, but more than 1, character after the poll has been considered as well.

So yes, I find it incredibly likely we get 2 more between Lucas and the Poll ending in October...and then probably 2 - 3 after the Poll has ended.

Basically 6 - 7 DLC characters total.
As stated earlier, in my opinion it'll either be...

- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Chorus Kids, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2
- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Chorus Kids, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2, Ballot Character 3
- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2
- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2, Ballot Character 3

I don't expect anymore than 7 characters counting Mewtwo & Lucas. The only reason I mentioned the Chorus Kids is because, as stated, they're the only ones that have evidence that they were previously worked on as far as potential newcomers go.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Voted for:

Takamaru
Mike Jones
Lip
Wonderful Ones/Wonder Red
Inklings
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Lyn
King K Rool
Viridi
Medusa
Daisy
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
Impa
Shantae
Ashley
Captain Syrup
Snake
If we are gonna get a Sin and Punishment character I think it would be better to vote for Isa anyway.

TDLink

Re: Roy:

If they wanted to put in Roy, having another character named Roy wouldn't stop them. That said, they shouldn't put in Roy because he is boring. The only reason people want him in is due to Melee. We already have Lucina as a Marth clone. Fire Emblem is filled with so many great characters, if there's going to be another one added it doesn't need to be one of the most boring Lords in that series (Who will just be another Marth clone) just because he was in a previous entry in this series.

As stated earlier, in my opinion it'll either be...

- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Chorus Kids, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2
- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Chorus Kids, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2, Ballot Character 3
- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2
- Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Ballot Character 1, Ballot Character 2, Ballot Character 3

I don't expect anymore than 7 characters counting Mewtwo & Lucas. The only reason I mentioned the Chorus Kids is because, as stated, they're the only ones that have evidence that they were previously worked on as far as potential newcomers go.

Yeah I'm going with option 1 or 2 that you have outlined here. I think 4 characters before the ballot characters are a definite based on how the releases of Mewtwo and Lucas are spaced and when the poll ends.

Pizza

I wish each stage had more than just an omega version. Different legal stage setups for every stage would be rad, being named alpha, beta, delta, etc. I wouldn't care if every default stage was crazy (with hazard toggles) and there was a few legal setups every stage could have.

Itd be hella easy if they added "battlefield" alpha stages first, and played with the platform setup for the other configurations reusing the battlefield stage assets. Then we can get legal big blue, New pork city, pokefloats, and brinstar depths along with the fun party versions sakurai loves.

I feel like the stage roster is purposely crazy for sakurai's party game preferances. Why on earth would 75m ever come back over literally any other stage. Same with port town. The new corneria is literally corneria except interrupted with crazy platforming sections.

Re: Roy:

If they wanted to put in Roy, having another character named Roy wouldn't stop them. That said, they shouldn't put in Roy because he is boring. The only reason people want him in is due to Melee. We already have Lucina as a Marth clone. Fire Emblem is filled with so many great characters, if there's going to be another one added it doesn't need to be one of the most boring Lords in that series (Who will just be another Marth clone) just because he was in a previous entry in this series.
The only reason Jigglypuff is still in Smash is because she was in 64. There are more interesting Pokemon than Jigglypuff they could add. But they bring her back every game because people like her as a Smash character and enjoy her being back.

The only reason Lucas is DLC is because he was in Brawl. He wouldn't even be a blip on the DLC radar if he wasn't. Literally the second announced DLC character is getting in on no other reason other than Brawl Nostalgia, so you can't really say that's not what they are doing or should do, because it's exactly what they are doing.

I wish each stage had more than just an omega version. Different legal stage setups for every stage would be rad, being named alpha, beta, delta, etc. I wouldn't care if every default stage was crazy (with hazard toggles) and there was a few legal setups every stage could have.

Itd be hella easy if they added "battlefield" alpha stages first, and played with the platform setup for the other configurations reusing the battlefield stage assets. Then we can get legal big blue, New pork city, pokefloats, and brinstar depths along with the fun party versions sakurai loves.

I feel like the stage roster is purposely crazy for sakurai's party game preferances. Why on earth would 75m ever come back over literally any other stage. Same with port town. The new corneria is literally corneria except interrupted with crazy platforming sections.

Battlefield stages would actually be harder to make than most people assume because every single stage would now need a unique platform design and that's a lot of work to have the same stage repeated 40 times.

That effort is better spent cleaning up stages and adding a hazard toggle than remaking the same stage over and over again. Even if it means not every stage is technically legal (Bridge of Eldin without hazards for example), it's still a massive improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom