• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

patchday

The pirate chest really sucks. If you're going to gamble 100 gems, I'd much rather roll the Deep Sea chest, it costs the same and it guarantees a tier 2 skin or better (so you're at least getting more than your 100 gems' worth).

Yeah thats the chest I rolled on sorry. I gambled 100 gems x 3 and felt ganked.

Now I realize why they have all the crappy skins you pay favor for. It's so when we burn gems on these chest they can do a roll and gift us the cheap skin.

Sorry I'm just not used to this (so I might be harsh). In League of Legends you can gamble on chests too- but you are for sure going to get a skin that costs 'money'. They have no equivalent to the palette swaps that this game charges gems/favor for. (Okay so LoL does have Chromas but they can only be bought with money and are -NOT- included in a chest roll)

tl;dr - I think the chests suck and are a ripoff :(

(Note this all just my personal opinion of course; other buyers might be way more lucky then me!!!)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You can find the chest contents online: You can thin the herd of "Crappy" rewards by buying such things with favor on occasion.

The nice thing about them is that there's only so much crappier stuff in the game, so as you thin it out, it lowers your changes of getting something that's beneath paid value from the chest.

I love it when a new chest comes out, and the only things I have available from it are basically the "Great" stuff. Thus the K9 Anubis wasn't hard for me to get, for example. And a lot of the filler came from purchases with free gems or chest drop events.

Think of large content chest not as something a newer player should use, but as something that gives a long-time one a change to get something awesome for a cheap price, with a chance of something mediocre. Just... don't touch them at all if you're at something like 4/56 or such, because, yeah, it'll probably be a waste then.

I do wish they'd put some pure gem stuff up for favor every once in a while, however. That kinda stuff happened a few times in Beta (Like voice packs and a few T2 costumes), and it was a great way to thin the herd even more.

Yeah thats the chest I rolled on sorry. I gambled 100 gems x 3 and felt ganked.

Now I realize why they have all the crappy skins you pay favor for. It's so when we burn gems on these chest they can do a roll and gift us the cheap skin.

Sorry I'm just not used to this (so I might be harsh). In League of Legends you can gamble on chests too- but you are for sure going to get a skin that costs 'money'. They have no equivalent to the palette swaps that this game charges gems/favor for. (Okay so LoL does have Chromas but they can only be bought with money and are -NOT- included in a chest roll)

tl;dr - I think the chests suck and are a ripoff :(

(Note this all just my personal opinion of course; other buyers might be way more lucky then me!!!)

The skins in the deep sea chest are not considered recolours, they're T2 skins and cost 250 gems each. So you're actually getting those skins for 50 gems less than if you bought it outright.

If you don't have a T3 or above skin for a god then the T2 ones are usually really nice (Xing Tian's is kinda bad...). I actually use a T2 skin on my most played God (Wukong) as it is nicer than his other skins imo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
While I'm here: Does anyone care about Xiang Tian anymore? He was refreshing when he premiered to me, but now he feels so weak and inconsequential. Sure he still hurts *with a Soul Reaver*, but that can be said of like.. everyone. It's so easy to escape his stuff, his uppercut is a joke now that does basically nothing, and he basically feels weaker than Ares in like every way...

It's a shame because I really want to like him. I felt like his old 1 *the flame breath* was the perfect way to chip at high def people, much like Ares Chain / Flame combo. But now I pelt ANYONE with it, and unless I built damage, it's just... meh. Which means he feels so late-game focused, and that's just... *shrug* Maybe it's just me?

Vulcan really needs a T3 skin already.

I wish they'd add some value to old skins. Sentry Vulcan should have a unique voice. Cyber Nezha should get his own voice and a few new animations. They did it with the future Loki...

drotahorror

The skins in the deep sea chest are not considered recolours, they're T2 skins and cost 250 gems each. So you're actually getting those skins for 50 gems less than if you bought it outright.

If you don't have a T3 or above skin for a god then the T2 ones are usually really nice (Xing Tian's is kinda bad...). I actually use a T2 skin on my most played God (Wukong) as it is nicer than his other skins imo.

Yea my favorite Thor skin is his T2.

That Deep Sea Chest specifically says 1 of those skins show or a T2 Skin, in the description. If you didn't want T2 skins you'd likely be better off buying that pirate's booty chest for 100 gems. But I would look the contents up on reddit first.

It is lame that the skins that it shows being in there, for instance the deep sea one shows Hunkules and King of the Deep, you won't get those skins til the last 2 rolls left. There is zero chance you'll get those until you're 19/21.

While I'm here: Does anyone care about Xiang Tian anymore? He was refreshing when he premiered to me, but now he feels so weak and inconsequential. Sure he still hurts *with a Soul Reaver*, but that can be said of like.. everyone. It's so easy to escape his stuff, his uppercut is a joke now that does basically nothing, and he basically feels weaker than Ares in like every way...

It's a shame because I really want to like him. I felt like his old 1 *the flame breath* was the perfect way to chip at high def people, much like Ares Chain / Flame combo. But now I pelt ANYONE with it, and unless I built damage, it's just... meh. Which means he feels so late-game focused, and that's just... *shrug* Maybe it's just me?

He was the best solo laner (never really a great support) so they nerfed him. Since then he hasn't be good in any role.

If they gave back the root on the slam portion of his 2 he could still be good but they seem to have left him by the wayside for a while now.

His ult is basically Ares' but with a wind up time which isn't that hard to dodge.

If you build gem of isolation in him he can easily apply a slow with his one but that is basically the most use you're going to get out of his 1.

CC, damage, tankiness, there are multiple guardians that will bring more of these than Xing Tian. Which is kind of a shame since his design is quite good.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
He was the best solo laner (never really a great support) so they nerfed him. Since then he hasn't be good in any role.

If they gave back the root on the slam portion of his 2 he could still be good but they seem to have left him by the wayside for a while now.

His ult is basically Ares' but with a wind up time which isn't that hard to dodge.

If you build gem of isolation in him he can easily apply a slow with his one but that is basically the most use you're going to get out of his 1.

CC, damage, tankiness, there are multiple guardians that will bring more of these than Xing Tian. Which is kind of a shame since his design is quite good.

I still feel like people are reluctant to pick Guards in non-conquest modes on XB1, and this kind of lukewarm strength just makes it obvious why.

I do like the Gem of Iso idea, very much like I like to play Zhong Kui (Using his talisman to apply enfeeble-over-time stuff so easily). I wanted to try and use Ethereal Staff instead, but haven't been impressed...

It seems so awkward that they build a walking tank with a HUGE AXE, and then are afraid to let him hurt people with it. I'd wonder if they'd try giving weak CC to an auto attack chain point? And with the switch to Greater Blink, his Choreographed approaches are even worse.

I was so hype to have an Alt Ares for Arena in those early days, now he's just a lukewarm assistance to his bigger guard bros or something...

Indeed, only right now it's actually 150 gems less, since the chest is 50% off, at 100 gems. Quite a great value if you're looking to pad out your skin collection.

I'm tempted by the He Bro skin right now, which is also 50% off at 300 gems.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Indeed, only right now it's 150 less, since the chest is 50% off, at 100 gems. Quite a great value if you're looking to pad out your skin collection.

I'm tempted by the He Bro skin right now, which is also 50% off at 300 gems.

Even though I have the more rare Sydney Shredder... I really miss He Bro's "GNNNNAAAARRRRLLLYYYY!" when he ults. I also find the old beach bum look much more original.

I actually think I like Bro more in the end, through the S. Shredder is cool on it's own.

Even though I have the more rare Sydney Shredder... I really miss He Bro's "GNNNNAAAARRRRLLLYYYY!" when he ults. I also find the old beach bum look much more original.

I actually think I like Bro more in the end, through the S. Shredder is cool on it's own.

OK, you convinced me. Bought!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
OK, you convinced me. Bought!
Enjoy! I hated He Bo when I first played him, but as I learned him, I started to love him as much as Janus, since they're... surprisingly similar in approach.

Both can slow / speed up, both have accuracy-based 1-2 combos, and ults that are obscenely good in the right hands.

That skin went a long way into making me learn to enjoy him!

patchday

What happened to me when I opened the chest though I did not get a T2 skin. I just got those lame skins I could've bought with Favor instead.

Is that not how its supposed to work? If not then I need to write up a support ticket. I never got a T2 skin. All I got was the lame skins that anyone can buy with just favor.

Thanks for reading my whines!! Let me know if this was a bug

What happened to me when I opened the chest though I did not get a T2 skin. I just got those lame skins I could've bought with Favor instead.

Is that not how its supposed to work? If not then I need to write up a support ticket. I never got a T2 skin. All I got was the lame skins that anyone can buy with just favor.

Thanks for reading my whines!! Let me know if this was a bug

If you're certain it was a favour skin then yeah it's a bug.

The list of which skins are in the deep sea chest can be found here: http://smite.gamepedia.com/Deep_Sea_Chest

Which skin did you get? Do you have a picture or the name of it?

patchday

lol I'm so hopeless. Thanks. I am incorrect. I received skins listed on that page. It was chevaloir chiron and Boom Chac. I thought you could buy those with favor (my bad)

Darn Steam- trying to reinstall Smite but everytime it claims it cant find the install. Guess I'll have to install smite from outside of Steam what a mess

[edit] Yay got it to work thanks to an old Steam thread

Enjoy! I hated He Bo when I first played him, but as I learned him, I started to love him as much as Janus, since they're... surprisingly similar in approach.

Both can slow / speed up, both have accuracy-based 1-2 combos, and ults that are obscenely good in the right hands.

That skin went a long way into making me learn to enjoy him!

I tried him yesterday (arena) and actually liked him quite a lot. His ultimate in fact seems a bit ridiculous, I was killing people left and right with it. I get that it takes you close to the enemy which is the opposite of what you want in a mage, but holy shit at the damage, whenever the enemy team was at half health I didn't have to worry because there wouldn't be anyone left alive :D (or I could just finish them off with the 1, which also hits hard for how quickly it comes out). And yeah, the skin is all kinds of awesome. :)

I tried him yesterday (arena) and actually liked him quite a lot. His ultimate in fact seems a bit ridiculous, I was killing people left and right with it. I get that it takes you close to the enemy which is the opposite of what you want in a mage, but holy shit at the damage, whenever the enemy team was at half health I didn't have to worry because there wouldn't be anyone left alive :D (or I could just finish them off with the 1, which also hits hard for how quickly it comes out). And yeah, the skin is all kinds of awesome. :)

That's why Blink is so dangerous with him. Blink behind, then ult back towards your team.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

He's such a Glass Cannon, it can be very fun to get a lvl or 2 up and just destroy with him anywhere. The "glass" dimishes, and the CANNON becomes all kinds of true.

Or I like to think SHOTGUN, because that's what his 3 looks like to me, heh.

That Water path is HUGE too, and I love how You can set it as a barrier to mess up escapees for critical times, or just to chase your team after opponents, while slowing those guys down too.

GNNNAAAARRRRLLLYYYYY!

That's why Blink is so dangerous with him. Blink behind, then ult back towards your team.

I've heard of so few using Blink in the new season, but I totally get that strat. Sounds fun and profitable.

Or I like to think SHOTGUN, because that's what his 3 looks like to me, heh.

So very true. It's the most shotgun-like of all the cone skills. :) Also that Blink strat sounds indeed fun.

Tangentially, is Smite down for anyone else? I can't seem to login right now.

Edit: Working now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So very true. It's the most shotgun-like of all the cone skills. :) Also that Blink strat sounds indeed fun.

Tangentially, is Smite down for anyone else? I can't seem to login right now.

*BroFist*

It's fine for me on X1, have been messing around all over the morning on and off.

I'm not surprised. Now that Combat Blink is gone, it can't double as an "OH SHIT!" escape for the less mobile characters.

Yup. I kinda miss it... but I'm also kinda glad it's "Ao Kuang exclusive" now, lol. Odin feels so much more purposeful now!

Navid

Looks like console players will be getting patch 3.6 this week, nice to see it being updated more in line with the PC version: http://www.smitegame.com/new-in-smite-escape-from-the-underworld-3-6-console-patch-notes/

Have been saving up some favour and looking to spend it on some new gods, currently looking at...
Further to me asking about character recommendations to purchase earlier in the thread I have now saved up enough favor to get 8 more characters, leaving me with 5 in each category...

So this is what I currently have/decided on getting:

Assassin: Thor, Bastet, Loki (need 2 more)
Guardian: Ymir, Athena, Ares (need 2 more)
Hunter: Neith, Cupid, Artemis (need 2 more)
Warrior: Guan Yu, Odin, Hercules (need 2 more)
Mage: Ra, Kukulkan, Hades, Nu Wa, Agni.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

XenoRaven

My suggestions (with explanations):

Assassin: Awilix, any other assassin - Awilix is just really fun to play, but I think to play her effectively you have to establish a certain level of comfort with assassins. Playing Thor and Bastet will help you establish that, and once you have and you're looking for something different, Awilix is a great choice. She also helps you move into more basic attack oriented assassins like Kali and Ao Kuang, because one of her most important abilities is only available during a basic attack combo.

Guardian: Khepri, Sylvanus - Khepri's kind of a no-brainer (although he recently got a health nerf). He helps establish a support mindest, while still allowing you to be active and feel like you're contributing in other ways. He sets up kills and protects his team with his grab and his root, and he can save teammates with his ult. You'll be actively looking to support your teammates, which is typically your goal as a Guardian. Geb is the ultimate support Guardian, but when I was first starting out I found him a bit boring and cumbersome. After mastering Khepri, I went back to him and found him much more fun.

I recommended Sylvanus because he's a very different style of Guardian. With the list of Guardians you provided + Khepri, you have a pretty standard set of Guardians. Sylvanus gives you the opportunity to try something different if you're bored of just taunting people with Athena all day. He supports his team by healing, he plants seeds to help restore Mana, and he has a root and a grab. He takes a lot of getting used to, so I would only try him out when you're feeling adventurous or need a change of pace, but he's a very interesting god.

Hunter: I barely play any Hunter other than Neith, so I don't have much of a suggestion here. Maybe Hou Yi. I think he and Rama might be the two best Hunters in the game right now, but I'm not really a student of the meta so I may be incorrect there.

Warrior: Bellona, Bellona, Bellona - No warrior list is complete without Bellona. She's just that good. As a second choice, I would go with my personal preference of Tyr, who is a bit difficult, but fun, to master. Amaterasu is also a decent choice.

I was going to compile a list of gods I find fun to play, but it was going to be virtually a list of almost all gods. I keep telling people that the crowning achievement of Smite is how fun and different most gods are, almost every one has something cool that sets them apart. I second Bellona though, she's one of my favorites. She has a tool for each situation; her flail murders Assassins.

Also, damn, I thought Grim Weaver was going to be the reward for getting six items. If I knew you can buy her outright I would have saved some gems for her (and I'm only 70 gems short, too). How long will it be available?

Assassin: I'd say Fenrir or Awilix, both fun and both very useful in the right situations.

Guardian: Bacchus or Geb. Opposite ends of the guardian spectrum, Bacchus lots of damage while Geb is all about keeping your teammates alive.

Hunter: Hou Yi and Apollo. Best two hunters in the game. The qins/ attack speed build really benefits Hou Yi as he has the lowest base as of all the hunters (also has no as steroid). His 2 is also very strong. Apollo has great attack speed (due to his passive) and objective damage.

Skadi would be a third choice as she is strong right now due to Kaldr but you'd build her more as a phys mage than a hunter.

Warrior: Outside of Chaac all the warriors are really good. The best are probably Bellona (easy to play as well), Vamana, Tyr and Osiris.

Mage: You're not asking for another mage but keep Janus in mind, great damage and hard to pin down due to his portals.

Also, damn, I thought Grim Weaver was going to be the reward for getting six items. If I knew you can buy her outright I would have saved some gems for her (and I'm only 70 gems short, too). How long will it be available?

The event ends in 2 weeks time so I'd assume until then.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So what do people find wrong with Chaac? I always find his huge area slow, Silence from Ult, and regen on Rainstorm to make him one of the more satisfying utility Warriors. The thing I dislike most about him is that his Axe spin just just kinda... there, and is more useful as a warp than an actual damaging move.

Which is a shame, as the idea that it teleports THROUGH the enemy to cause damage, and also causes on the spin, sounds powerful.

So what do people find wrong with Chaac? I always find his huge area slow, Silence from Ult, and regen on Rainstorm to make him one of the more satisfying utility Warriors. The thing I dislike most about him is that his Axe spin just just kinda... there, and is more useful as a warp than an actual damaging move.

Which is a shame, as the idea that it teleports THROUGH the enemy to cause damage, and also causes on the spin, sounds powerful.

He has great clear, but once it hits mid game he mostly becomes and ult bot. He can't frontline like most warriors but also doesn't bring enough damage like others can.

Odin also becomes and ult bot but his ult is much more useful though.

Chaax is very good in assault though, I'll give him that.

When are the new skins from the Underworld thing and the Arachne remodel supposed to drop. I want to buy some stuff before I copy my account to PS4.

Can you get gems without paying rl cash? Cause i havent played in ages and got 120 gems and got no clue how i got that... Do u get gems when u buy all the gods or something? Cause if so i guess thsts how i got it and simply never used it

Can you get gems without paying rl cash? Cause i havent played in ages and got 120 gems and got no clue how i got that... Do u get gems when u buy all the gods or something? Cause if so i guess thsts how i got it and simply never used it

You can get it for logging in regularly. If you haven't logged in in a long time they might have just given you some to bring you back and you didn't notice.

I realize I post so little about the actual game and more about the community, but that's what I actually like most about this game. It's amazing seeing so many people helping out Allied and his fight against cancer. Now I'm glad Hirez is doing the same with Spring Fling.

gogosox82

They've taken the crit off throwing dagger AND golden bow. Someone at Hi-Rez doesn't like Mercury...

Yeah. The Golden bow nerf is silly. All they had to do was take the crit chance off of throwing dagger not take the crit chance away all together. Season 3 has not been kind to Merc.

For Assassins, I'd try out Fenrir. He pretty easy to play and he has two escapes and he has a really good early game. Another I'd try is Hun Batz. He relatively easy to play and has a great ult and good mobility.

For Guardians, Bacchus is really fun. I usually build one damage item on him (like a soul reaver) because its so fun to do his combo and melt people with him. I'd give Khepri a shot as well. You literally save lives with his ult.

For Hunters, I'd give Chiron a go. People give Neith a ton of shit for being easy but I think Chiron is way easier than Neith is. Aoe on his one that a great wave clear that also cleanses and does good damage, his 2 literally cannot be missed as long as you've hit them already, a great get away/chasing ability with his three, and his ult let's you snipe people from across the map. He's like an easier Neith. If you like Neith, you should like Chiron.

Apollo is really good as well. Great passive, has a bunch of ways to either chase or get away, and in general is just fun to play.

For Warriors, I'd give Bellona a shot. She's a lot of fun to play because you can build her tanky with a ton of as and its really hard to kill her then.

Sun WuKong is probably my favorite warrior. He's tanky but not tanky enough to support. Does good damage if you know how to play him but he's highly reliant on using his abilities so he can be a bit mana hungry early which means you can't just burst someone down. So basically you burst them down with your abilities and the mage or hunter finishes them off. I think that's how Hi Rez envisioned warriors working so that's why I like Sun WuKong. Also, his abilities are fun to use especially his 3. Yeah, there are probably warriors that are better like Tyr or Osiris but I love playing SWK and I think you would like him.

If it's exactly in two weeks I should have enough gems from the daily logins. Hopefully I won't mess up. :D

If you do fall short and have some free time you could try here: http://www.smitegame.com/free-gems/

It rewards surveys with free gems. Not all will give gems but it might worth a shot if you're really close to the value of gems you need.

Best to stick with the peanut lab surveys as they're generally the best at paying out.

drotahorror

^^^^^Make sure you use a different email if you do surveys. Like, a throwaway email that you no longer care anything about anymore.

When are the new skins from the Underworld thing and the Arachne remodel supposed to drop. I want to buy some stuff before I copy my account to PS4.

I was actually waiting for the arachne skin to drop before I transfer my account but now I sort of want to xfer it when patch hits ps4 just so I know for sure I get the skin on there. Of course the patch might not even hit ps4 before the timeframe is over.

I was actually waiting for the arachne skin to drop before I transfer my account but now I sort of want to xfer it when patch hits ps4 just so I know for sure I get the skin on there. Of course the patch might not even hit ps4 before the timeframe is over.
Whatever you own now will transfer over even if it's not there yet. You're good to go.

If you do fall short and have some free time you could try here: http://www.smitegame.com/free-gems/

It rewards surveys with free gems. Not all will give gems but it might worth a shot if you're really close to the value of gems you need.

Best to stick with the peanut lab surveys as they're generally the best at paying out.

Thanks a lot, will try this later!

^^^^^Make sure you use a different email if you do surveys. Like, a throwaway email that you no longer care anything about anymore.

Mailinator to the rescue. :)

If you log every single day, the 6th day you'll get 15 gems and the 7th 35 gems. This cycle repeats so you can get 50 gems a week if you log in and claim your rewards every day. Sometimes they also seem to give out gems for other reasons, or double the daily rewards for a week. Frankly, this may be one of the most generous F2P games (I can only think of GW2 as being even more so), which is why I don't mind throwing actual money their way at all.

drotahorror

Whatever you own now will transfer over even if it's not there yet. You're good to go.

I would hope so but I haven't seen anything set in stone that says skins that aren't available currently, you'll receive when they do come out on PS4. There is a quote about that happening for the XB1 version and one would assume it's the same deal here but I don't really want to risk it. If you found something that says 100% you'll get unreleased skins on PS4 when they do come out that'd be sick if you post it.

Here is a quote about the Xbox version
""I own an item that is not available yet on the Xbox version of Smite. What happens to those items when I merge my accounts? Any item that is not yet available on the Xbox version is placed in an a queue and is automatically unlocked when the required version is released on Xbox." "
http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answ...ite-xbox-founders-pack-&-account-transfer-faq

I would hope so but I haven't seen anything set in stone that says skins that aren't available currently, you'll receive when they do come out on PS4. There is a quote about that happening for the XB1 version and one would assume it's the same deal here but I don't really want to risk it. If you found something that says 100% you'll get unreleased skins on PS4 when they do come out that'd be sick if you post it.

Here is a quote about the Xbox version
""I own an item that is not available yet on the Xbox version of Smite. What happens to those items when I merge my accounts? Any item that is not yet available on the Xbox version is placed in an a queue and is automatically unlocked when the required version is released on Xbox." "
http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answ...ite-xbox-founders-pack-&-account-transfer-faq

I'd still assume the case is the same as the Xbox but I understand your hesitance. I haven't bothered to look in the PS4 transfer FAQ to double check.

gogosox82

I'm really annoyed that the Odin Skin is stuck in a damn chest with 55 other things I don't want in it. Why can't we just buy it like the Athena skin or the Artemis skin from a couple of weeks back? I get they need to make money but it really sucks that they put that skin in the chest like that. Guess I won't be getting it since I just spent a bunch of money on gems to get the Skaliwag and Buccaneith skins and I'd done with gambling with those chests for a while.

XenoRaven

I think it's cool when a game does special events. But a lot of times the events really bring out the worst in a game. They increase the likelihood that people that took a short break from the game come back, and they're typically rusty. Meanwhile, people are queuing 3 deep to get their wins really quick and there's just this huge disparity in skill and teamwork.

The bonus round quest compounds the problem because your team will feed their brains out, but they won't surrender because they want to see if they can get a bonus round win. There was literally a match where my team fed so much that they just quit playing so I started getting destroyed whenever I would try to initiate. When I finally realized what was happening I just stood by the tower and killed minions before they got into our portal until the end of the match. The last 3-5 minutes of the match was just our team either standing in the fountain or just outside of it. Kinda takes the shine off the event.

Top Bottom