• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

I'm really annoyed that the Odin Skin is stuck in a damn chest with 55 other things I don't want in it. Why can't we just buy it like the Athena skin or the Artemis skin from a couple of weeks back? I get they need to make money but it really sucks that they put that skin in the chest like that. Guess I won't be getting it since I just spent a bunch of money on gems to get the Skaliwag and Buccaneith skins and I'd done with gambling with those chests for a while.

Your best best is probably to wait until it's available again in a chest with less stuff, but yeah, it could take months/years. I for one assumed the iDusa and Nu Horizons would never be available again, so the recent chest was a pleasant surprise.

Y I for one assumed the iDusa and Nu Horizons would never be available again, so the recent chest was a pleasant surprise.

You can know if they'll be available again. Go to the god page and then go to skins. If the icon for the skin has an exclusive on it then you will be able to get it at some point in the future.

If it says limited then you can't get it.

DeviantBoi

I recently learned that the season ticket lasts until February next year, which was awesome cause it'll take me forever to get the points.

But will there be other tournaments that give you fantasy points besides the current one?

XenoRaven

I recently learned that the season ticket lasts until February next year, which was awesome cause it'll take me forever to get the points.

But will there be other tournaments that give you fantasy points besides the current one?
SPL events run all year up until the Smite World Championships, which will be in January. SWC games also grant FP.

Navid

It's been funny to see the character choices for Arena matches completely change after this bonus mode was introduced on consoles... think a lot more people are picking their characters with the bonus mode in mind now.

If you have some money to spare, Poolsideon and Archon Thanatos are available: https://twitter.com/schisam/status/725710494007447552

:O ohhhh shit gonna get me that Thana..

$500 for Poolsideon, $1000 for Thanatos

D:

Nevermind lol. At least it's for a good cause.

It's been funny to see the character choices for Arena matches completely change after this need bonus mode was introduced on consoles... think a lot more people are picking their characters with the bonus mode in mind now.

It does add an interesting dynamic. I hope they bring it back as a MOTD or something after it ends.

XenoRaven

It's been funny to see the character choices for Arena matches completely change after this bonus mode was introduced on consoles... think a lot more people are picking their characters with the bonus mode in mind now.
I picked Hun Batz three times despite never playing him before that.

At first I was like "well, 1000 gems for Archon Thanatos is pretty awes-". Then I saw that $ sign. :S

I picked Hun Batz three times despite never playing him before that.

The week that second quest was on PC, every game had a Xing Tian on each side. :D

So, is it worth it to pick the season pass now? Or is it too late? I haven't even looked at what you get and how much you have to play to get it.

So, is it worth it to pick the season pass now? Or is it too late? I haven't even looked at what you get and how much you have to play to get it.

Certainly worth it. Buy it now and get a Bellona skin straight off the bat.

Then every game you win will get you 15 fp. You can also get 40 fp for correctly picking spl games.

Once you get a certain number of points you get an item. List of everything can be found here: http://smite.gamepedia.com/Season_Ticket_2016

Yesterday there was a charity stream to raise money for Allied's cancer treatment.

Hi-Rez said that there would be code rewards (only active for 3mins) at certain milestones raised.

Due to technical difficulties they were unable to continue these codes after the first two.

Hi-Rez have said they will be giving the codes out during the spl stream Thursday, May 5th (post about it here: https://dd.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/4gwqdg/technical_difficulties_during_spring_fling_2016/).

These codes will give you 10 free chest rolls, triumph Agni and Puppe-tyr Tyr skins. These codes will only be valid for 5mins each so if you want to grab these you should tune in to the stream next week.

Yesterday there was a charity stream to raise money for Allied's cancer treatment.

Hi-Rez said that there would be code rewards (only active for 3mins) at certain milestones raised.

Due to technical difficulties they were unable to continue these codes after the first two.

Hi-Rez have said they will be giving the codes out during the spl stream Thursday, May 5th (post about it here: https://dd.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/4gwqdg/technical_difficulties_during_spring_fling_2016/).

These codes will give you 10 free chest rolls, triumph Agni and Puppe-tyr Tyr skins. These codes will only be valid for 5mins each so if you want to grab these you should tune in to the stream next week.
When does the broadcast start? You have to enter the codes in game but I'll be working that day.

You can see the start times here: http://esports.smitegame.com/s3-spring-split-landing-page/##schedule-section

Thursdays games seem to start at 8pm UK time. Seeing that suggests that if they don't give the codes out early then a lot of the EU will miss some due to the late game starting at 11:30pm UK time and an hour later on mainland Europe.

Ah. 3pm my time. Time to see if my Surface is good enough to run Smite so I can bring it to work.

....and then hope no one notices when I boot it up.

Based off these two pics and the tweets with them it looks like the next patch will have a jester Loki skin:

Ws84FHF.jpg

QR29PdA.jpg

XenoRaven

Skadi needs a nerf yesterday. The dog is too strong. It's really stupid that the ult heals it AND makes it invincible AND roots you AND the snowstorm around the dog does damage on top of the damage the dog's basics do. Like wtf. I just played a Clash game where a Skadi did 42k damage when the next highest person was a Kukulkan at 24k. That's some stupid shit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Skadi needs a nerf yesterday. The dog is too strong. It's really stupid that the ult heals it AND makes it invincible AND roots you AND the snowstorm around the dog does damage on top of the damage the dog's basics do. Like wtf. I just played a Clash game where a Skadi did 42k damage when the next highest person was a Kukulkan at 24k. That's some stupid shit.
I do over 50k with artemis though. Not uncommon for hunters to be high

XenoRaven

I do over 50k with artemis though. Not uncommon for hunters to be high
Right. I've done 50k with Neith before. In a long game. Not in 20 minutes.

Those are the top damage dealers for the game I played. I get that sometimes people have hot games, but this isn't the first time I've encountered Skadis that do similar things. And all they have to do once they get ahead is press a button, wait for the dog to get 1 HP, then press another button. It's silly.

And I'm sure people say "she has no escape, focus her" or "just have your team focus the dog" but that's dumb, because randos don't work together. I can't even get the idiots I get matched with to attack people when I taunt them with Athena. How am I supposed to convey that it's time to attack the carry all the way in the back line that sent her pet into the team fight while she sits safely back in basic attack range if these people don't even understand the simplest of concepts?

XenoRaven

No way in hell I'm talking to random people.

I'm sure it sounds like I'm just whining, and this game has been particularly rough on me lately with technical issues and bad teammates. But I have been playing weekly for nearly a year now and I can't recall any god that offered less counterplay.

XenoRaven

I haven't seen many matches lately, but I've definitely seen her picked.

It doesn't really matter if the pros pick her a lot though because balancing only for pro play is dumb. Smite has multiple game types and players of all skill levels. It's not an easy task to balance all that, but the quality of your game is dependent on it. Right now, Skadi is one of several things that are making this game not enjoyable for me.

gogosox82

It doesn't really matter if the pros pick her a lot though because balancing only for pro play is dumb. Smite has multiple game types and players of all skill levels. It's not an easy task to balance all that, but the quality of your game is dependent on it. Right now, Skadi is one of several things that are making this game not enjoyable for me.

Yeah her damage is insane. I would like to see Kaldr's dash attack go away. I mean, most skadi's I play against usually ult you anyway so why does he need to that dash attack since if he gets anywhere near you your rooted anyway? Either that or nerf it so it doesn't do so much damage. I been hit for 800 by that damn dash attack before. Its silly how much damage it does.

XenoRaven

Yeah her damage is insane. I would like to see Kaldr's dash attack go away. I mean, most skadi's I play against usually ult you anyway so why does he need to that dash attack since if he gets anywhere near you your rooted anyway? Either that or nerf it so it doesn't do so much damage. I been hit for 800 by that damn dash attack before. Its silly how much damage it does.
I was thinking about ways to nerf Kaldr, and the idea I like most is to keep the invuln on the ult but lose the full heal and introduce a CD on the sic and allow it to miss. Right now she can queue it up, spam left click/RT/R2, and just try to find someone in the back line. There's no skill involved and no possible counterplay. You can't juke or dodge it. She can just try to activate until it hits someone with no repercussions.

The reason I like this idea is that there should be a way to nerf Kaldr without it removing Skadi from regular play on PC or console. Part of the reason I think Kaldr is too strong on console is that it's harder to box. Skadi doesn't have to box. She has a pet that never misses that's activated by an ability that also can't miss. There's no way to win that fight 1v1. Allowing it to miss and go on CD will at least make players think about how to use the ability instead of the current situation where you just spam until it works.

Edit: In other news, after a few days of really bad games and constant losing streaks, I finally had a game where no one on my team fed their brains out and we dominated so much that I got a salt message. Coincidentally, a Skadi on the other team went 0-9. It was therapeutic.

patchday

yeah but I've never had trouble fighting her myself. So I am baffled by complaints about her. Guess yall not killing the dog (which is what I'd assume pros would do to counter)

kill the dog and she cant ult

yeah but I've never had trouble fighting her myself. So I am baffled by complaints about her. Guess yall not killing the dog (which is what I'd assume pros would do to counter)

kill the dog and she cant ult

The pros haven't picked her a huge amount, mostly picked by Panthera, but I believe she has a 100% win ratio when she is picked.

Killing the dog is a fine idea in practice but a good Skadi will not let you.

Send the dog out, it does damage, Skadi does damage. When the dog gets to 1 hit point left use the ult. The dog is healed to full, immune to damage and has rooted you.

There is little you can do 1v1 especially since the dog will also block autos so ignoring the dog and killing Skadi is difficult.

You might think that using your escape (if you have one) to get some distance between you and the dog will allow you to kill it or force her to call it back. A good Skadi will drop her 3 under you which either forces you to use your escape to get off it or let her easily auto you to half health. Then after the escape is used she can use the dog/ult combo to finish you off.

Also setting the dog on someone, letting it dash hit them, calling it back and then repeating is the best way to get the highest damage from the dog (ult aside) and makes it difficult to kill the dog since it is constantly back and forth.

Teaming up against her is your best shot at killing her as she has little chance at surviving a 2v1 or greater not in her favour.

XenoRaven

Additionally, Kaldr has 110% of Skadi's movement speed. I've seen several Skadis (though not all) go Fatalis, so you literally can't get away from the dog. You use your escape, it's still on you. Also, Frostbound is in her Recommended tab, so if people build Frostbound, that's even less opportunity to escape.

I didn't know about the dash/recall thing. That's even more shitty.

patchday

skadi not even in Top win rate anywhere is she?

That's usually how we know a hero is broken in LoL

(Goodness most Smite web site so terrible for looking up this info though)

edit: The sites I checked (like Tiermonster), Artemis was highest for Gods. Skadi appears to be #2 with others trailing like right behind her like Chiron & Ah Muzen

I'm talking less than 1% difference in win rate too.

Glass cannon gods always top casual win rates because the general level of teamwork isn't what it is in the games they cast on stream. People just pick 1v1 fights with gods like Artemis and get dunked on because she has more damage.

skadi not even in Top win rate anywhere is she?

That's usually how we know a hero is broken in LoL

(Goodness most Smite web site so terrible for looking up this info though)

edit: The sites I checked (like Tiermonster), Artemis was highest for Gods. Skadi appears to be #2 with others trailing like right behind her like Chiron & Ah Muzen

I'm talking less than 1% difference in win rate too.

Keep in mind that balancing is does with conquest in mind but I'd guess those numbers you're looking at are overall.

In conquest Art and AMC are not good as you can shut them down easily. But in other modes like assault, arena or even joust they can get online with little hassle and once they are online it doesn't take too much skill to wreck with them.

XenoRaven

I'm like 25-30% on bonus round wins and I refuse to believe it's coincidence. I'm pretty sure someone at Hi-Rez doesn't like me. It's probably Hindu.

XenoRaven

As if I needed confirmation, I play an Assault game, no Guardian on my team, the other team has Ares and Xing Tian. I think it's time for Paragon.

XenoRaven

It's been real guys. I'm doing the quests and getting enough gems to get the Nox skin and then I'm taking a break. I need to cool off from the absolute stupid fucking bullshit this game constantly throws at me. I'm done.

drotahorror

Play a different mode than assault. Shits unbalanced. I have way more fun when I play what I want or play something built around what everyone else picked.

XenoRaven

I've been playing Arena, Clash, and Assault. I'm top ELO 90% of the time and I'm tired of carrying. This matchmaking is shit. I don't care how many times people tell me it works. It's fucking garbage. I've never played a game with matchmaking this unbalanced in my life.

XenoRaven

Paragon's out too because I can't get a team that can even beat fucking bots. Apparently I'm fated to just never solo queue any MOBA, because I've had it with carrying morons.

Navid

Not had too much issue with Skadi personally, her ultimate is definitely troublesome but thats about it, she is by no means the character I dislike going up against the most... Ao Kuang is by far the worst for me in terms of overall range of abilities/basic attack. Some of the mages that can keep throwing out their abilities that do high damage to a large area on low cooldown are also more of a pain to be up against compared to what I've seen so far of Skadi.

...I'm taking a break. I need to cool off from the absolute stupid fucking bullshit this game constantly throws at me. I'm done.
It's always good to take a break for a while rather than keep going through the motions of playing as a routine if you find yourself not enjoying a game anymore.

drotahorror

I've been playing Arena, Clash, and Assault. I'm top ELO 90% of the time and I'm tired of carrying. This matchmaking is shit. I don't care how many times people tell me it works. It's fucking garbage. I've never played a game with matchmaking this unbalanced in my life.

I know it's shit, I'm usually in the same boat. I've noticed a couple games lately that have trash matchmaking. COD being one of them. My cousin does a 2v2 thing through some sort of COD league, they faced the #1 in team in the USA the other day and my cousin just started playing last week.

patchday

Paragon's out too because I can't get a team that can even beat fucking bots. Apparently I'm fated to just never solo queue any MOBA, because I've had it with carrying morons.

Stick with it in Paragon if that is your only gripe. You'll start smashing bots in no time

I don't play Paragon really but I explained why in that thread. Long story short- I don't like RNG. The random distribution of cards is just stupid. Paragon is a huge step back for MOBA due to the f2p mobile-style monetization. Still have it installed tho but will probably uninstall soon since havent played in weeks

Also give Joust and Conquest a try if you haven't especially you are new to MOBAs (not sure how much you've played MOBAs). I wouldnt ever take Arena and such seriously since most of fanbase loves Conquest

(I spend a LOT of my time in Arena too btw but I also play many other games so I take it easy)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Steps to happiness in solo queue

Always play with the role of "fill"

Communicate, even you are the only one talking, shared information is vital, don't be angsty either keep it to info or plans.

That's pretty much it.

Plugged my mic in went from 30% wins to 90% and a friend request every game almost

on pc i do call out's/type a lot

also assault sucks

XenoRaven

Let me start off by saying that I appreciate everyone's replies. I honestly do.

I've been playing this game on a weekly basis for close to a year now, and I have never gone through a lull this long and this consistent. I'm not the best player in the world, but I think I'm pretty good, and I get thrown into so many games that feel unwinnable no matter what I do.

I've gone on this rant before, but I don't understand why the idea of putting teams of wildly varying skill levels together and expecting the person who's top ELO to either carry or get fucked is in any way defensible. The point of matchmaking is to play with people around your skill level, not to stomp a bunch of noobs one game and then get completely smashed the next game. Maybe a technical person can explain it to me, because I have a hard time believing that at any given time, there are not at least 9 people within 100-200 ELO of me queuing up.

I hit about 2,200 ELO recently on PS4, and ever since then it's been a nightmare. I'm down to 2,000 now and on two separate occasions yesterday, in the middle of a losing streak, I got put against people who were 3,000 ELO.

On top of that, both of those people were in a party, when my entire team was solo queued. This brings up another fun fact. On several occasions yesterday I was placed in games where enemy teams were queued 4-5 deep, or were made up of two separate groups of 3 and 2, while my team was just full of solo queuers. Again, I have a hard time believing that at any given time, there aren't enough people solo queuing that they just have to create these completely unbalanced teams.

Also, I'm done playing Fill. If I played Fill I would only ever play Guardian. I can't speak to the PC population, but on consoles, these people do not give one single solitary fuck about team composition. It was pretty bad on Xbox, it's even worse on PS4. I want to play the gods I want to play, not be pigeon holed into a certain role constantly. Plus, if I do bite the bullet and play Guardian, it's a complete crap shoot as to whether or not my team will ever actually follow up when I initiate. I can't count the number of times, just yesterday, when I plucked someone as Sobek, and in the moment Sobek stops to pluck someone, the entire team converged on me to kill me while the person I pluck walks away with no damage taken. I'm not 5 miles ahead of my team. They're all right there behind me. They just don't understand the basics of the game. It's partly why I don't pick Athena as much anymore because I'm tired of the only damage people take after a taunt being from my own 3.

Even my friends who queue up with me constantly comment on how bad the teammates I get are. It's a running joke at this point. As silly as this sounds, it feels way too consistent to be coincidence, and I'm beyond frustration. I can't remember the last time a game got me this heated. And I shouldn't feel like that over a game. It's a dumb thing to get mad at. So, because I want that new Nox skin, I'm going to do the Underworld quests. If things don't improve, I'm taking a break. Thankfully, Overwatch is on the horizon so I'll have a good multiplayer game to play when I get tired of Smite.

Sorry for all the whining recently. I'll dial it back now. I just needed to get that off my chest.

PS - I'm going to pre-emptively ask people to please save the "get gud and don't blame ur teammates" stuff. I already know.

Maybe a technical person can explain it to me, because I have a hard time believing that at any given time, there are not at least 9 people within 100-200 ELO of me queuing up.

That's most likely the technical reason. Once you start adding additional constraints to teammaking (ensure each of the ten players' Elo are matched, ensure both teams have a similar amount of prepartied players) matching up becomes exponentially longer (on top of the exponential hit it already takes simply by virtue of being 10-way multiplayer). This in turn causes players to queue up, get disappointed when they don't get a match within 10 minutes, then quit, exacerbating the problem. If the choice is between having a relatively unbalanced match with a 2 minute queue time, and a more balanced one with a half an hour or worse queue time, most reasonable devs will go for the former.

It's also quite possible that the matching algorithm was created when Smite's population was considerably smaller and therefore a more perfect fit was simply unfeasible with so few players. Still, if the population was so large to support a more robust matchmaking, then the less perfect version would find matches instantaneously every time, not minutes.

Source: Is a software engineer with almost twenty years under his belt and quite a few algorithms, although no matchmaking ones.

Top Bottom