• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

So recently there was a post on Reddit (which seems to be deleted) that talked about a recent comment from DmBrandon while he was streaming.

Someone donated to him and said that he'd helped them through depression and he basically told them to "Fuck off". The reddit community didn't take it well.

DmBrandon has recently made a twitlonger stating that he is leaving HiRez and casting. From his given apology it comes off like he doesn't understand why people are angry with him.

Twitlonger: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soj5d3

Reddit thread: https://dd.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/4fiwuy/dm_leaves_hirez_and_casting/

So recently there was a post on Reddit (which seems to be deleted) that talked about a recent comment from DmBrandon while he was streaming.

Someone donated to him and said that he'd helped them through depression and he basically told them to "Fuck off". The reddit community didn't take it well.

DmBrandon has recently made a twitlonger stating that he is leaving HiRez and casting. From his given apology it comes off like he doesn't understand why people are angry with him.

Reddit thread: https://dd.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/4fiwuy/dm_leaves_hirez_and_casting/

Doesn't that guy have a history of shitty comments during streams? Or am I thinking of a different Smite caster? I don't follow that stuff but I noticed it blowing up on the subReddit months ago.

I saw a recording of the content that got DMBrandon into trouble. His control freakery spilled over to a real life issue in an unpleasant way. Guy just has zero limits when it comes to his belief that he knows best about everything and people need to be told exactly what to think and how to feel about it after.

Doesn't that guy have a history of shitty comments during streams? Or am I thinking of a different Smite caster? I don't follow that stuff but I noticed it blowing up on the subReddit months ago.

Yes it's him. People have called him out before and the statement from HiRez was that they talked to him about it and he'd swear he would change.
He does for a while but it always seems to flair up again.

We don't know what HiRez's view of all this is, maybe he left under his own accord or maybe they said he could quit to save face or be fired.

New Chang'e skin, most likely a T2:

KZ70B4Y.png

patchday

Glad I don't represent my company I'd be getting in hot water too. All the times I've told someone off in a MOBA game alone....

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
After clicking it, later on, I realized that I stressed over nothing.

This caught my eye. So, DMBrandon shits all over someone suffering from depression / was having suicidal thoughts, someone who just donated him money by the way, and he sees being called out for this nonsense as, "Oh, I'm being attacked because I'm a Hi-Rez employee."

He also goes on about how 'I didn't mean it come out that way,' how he's suffering from being away from home, then doubles down on his suicide stance at the end while waving off people who disagreed. Mind as well have just typed "It's not my fault!" in all caps with a dozen exclamation marks and called it a day.

Ugly, ugly situation.

Got my Steam controller hooked up to Smite and it seems quite promising. Since the mousepad on it is pretty quick.Added HirezLauncher to Steam as a non-game and added the arguments to launch Smite to the "Launch options":

game=300 product=17

(Same options used by the HirezLauncher shortcut)

Smite is actually on Steam, I switched to the Steam version for tracking, screenshots, etc.

Thanks for your reply!

Hmm, guess R1 should be the cancel button on PS4 then. I'm going to try some more Nox now.

Yep, it's R1. It's disconcerting at first but pretty powerful and useful to clear minions.

Will have to give Nox a try.

Finally got around to trying out Zeus in earnest. I think halfway through the Arena match I figured out his kit. He's such an amazing character will have to get him to at least Mastery 1. Man this game is just so much fun.

Zeus is amazing at killing people by surprise, second only to Loki, especially if they don't know about electric charges and to count them pretty much as guaranteed damage.

There will be patch notes tomorrow, Arachne remodel confirmed:

Huh. The current Arachne model is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned, kind of odd to remake it. I guess this new one looks even better, at least in art form, so I'm not complaining.

I was tempted to make a thread about this because I grossly dislike some of the moderation practices over on that subreddit, and this news really warrants all the attention it deserves. Plus we've had similar threads that are fine to post.

Anyway. Not sad to see him go. He may have misspoke, but that's the price you pay when you are viewed as an important figure in any community. You have to watch what you say and make sure you speak clearly and eloquently about everything, or you risk it backfiring. That subject is super sensitive with a multitude of different opinions, to soapbox so heavily about a subject without being entirely knowledgable (outside of his own personal experiences) is bad form.

Anyway, this has little to do with Smite, but has everything to do with Twitch/Youtube communities and their power over young people.

Huh. The current Arachne model is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned, kind of odd to remake it. I guess this new one looks even better, at least in art form, so I'm not complaining.

She's been around since like 2012 and has never had a remodel iirc (just a re-kit). It's kind of amazing it still holds up but I can see how they'd want to give it a new pass.

EDIT: Just got in to the Paladins beta. Hopefully it's alright enough to justify the founder's pack because I want that Fernando Ares skin.

patchday

I would tryout Paladins but I read its overrun with RNG. cant craft the cards you want. just seems like its inspired by bad, old school MMOs where pvpers cant enjoy fair matches lol

So you can cheese the new Underworld weekly mission pretty easy (get 500 kills and/or assists in any game mode). Custom games count sooooooo:

1. Custom Game
2. Joust
3. Turn off minions
4. Set starting gold to 100k
5. Set the other team to all Ra bots on easy.
6. Pick Vulcan
7. Buy:
  • Doom Orb
  • Book of Thoth
  • Warlock's Sash
  • Spear of Desolation
  • Rod of Tahuti
  • Obsidian Shard
  • 5 Purple Pots
  • 5 3k Power Pots
8. Place a turret in the jungle in between the enemy phoenix and tower aimed towards the lane.
9. Watch a Ra parade get OHK'd 500x.
10. Surrender
11. Profit

Nyx

They should make a 'raver' skin for Nox as Goddess of the night, replace her candles with glowsticks and such.

They should make a 'raver' skin for Nox as Goddess of the night, replace her candles with glowsticks and such.

The one most people want first is Zeus with that theme. When he uses his ult, instead of him saying "let the heavens rain!", he would say "let the heavens rave". Then there would rave lights rather than a lightning storm.

However if you can (even if you're not great actually) you could draw your design and submit it on the reddit. HiRez employees do read it and many skin ideas have come from there.

Nyx

The one most people want first is Zeus with that theme. When he uses his ult, instead of him saying "let the heavens rain!", he would say "let the heavens rave". Then there would rave lights rather than a lightning storm.

However if you can (even if you're not great actually) you could draw your design and submit it on the reddit. HiRez employees do read it and many skin ideas have come from there.

Ha that Zeus idea is pretty cool too!

I find myself playing quite a bit more since the 60fps patch hit PS4. I am interested in finding more people to play with, add me if you like psn: jacob_armtage. There is a neogaf smite community but it only has a couple of players in it. I do worn you though, i'm not that great, but learning.

Navid

Have been saving up some favour and looking to spend it on some new gods, currently looking at:

Assassin: Loki, Kali
Guardian: Ares, Athena

Any alternative suggestions in case any of the above are a bit useless/hard to play?

Actually all of the next patch's stuff can be seen here now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSFibeWqXaM
Now that I've seen Arachne's new model (as opposed to just art)... I prefer the old one. :/ I guess this is what most Smite players have gone through with some god or other and it's some kind of baptism, but still. They made her more conventionally/generically attractive instead of monstruous, and they took away her cool head crest with all the eyes. :( That said, her golden skin is pretty cool. The Grim skin of her is also probably the best of the bunch, especially with that engine inside her transparent abdomen.

XenoRaven

Have been saving up some favour and looking to spend it on some new gods, currently looking at:

Any alternative suggestions in case any of the above are a bit useless/hard to play?
Both those Guardians are great.

What's your experience level with assassins?

Loki isn't good in conquest but can be used quite effectively in all other modes (maybe not assault but that's random pick anyway). He's easy to play, annoying to play against.

Kali is difficult. She's very late game orientated so you have to be carefully early otherwise people will shut you down.

Both Ares and Athena are very good with Athena probably being the best of the two, she's arguably the best guardian in the game right now.

Keep in mind that Ares doesn't have the normal peel that most guardians have. He peels via damage. Also if you pick Ares make sure not to spam your 1 out, take you time and you'll increase the damage it gives.

Ares can be hard but it's weird. His ult is really good against less experienced players especially in arena. But to play him at high levels you have to be accurate and have good timing with your normal abilities.

If you have confidence in your aim to hit with abilities than Ne Zha and Thanatos are good assassins to learn early.

Navid

Thanks for the replies... sounds like I'm set on the guardian front at least.

What's your experience level with assassins?
Have only played Thor which is the only assassin I own (same with Ymir for guardians) which is why I'm looking to adding a few more characters to those two categories.

EDIT:
Ares can be hard but it's weird. His ult is really good against less experienced players especially in arena. But to play him at high levels you have to be accurate and have good timing with your normal abilities.

If you have confidence in your aim to hit with abilities than Ne Zha and Thanatos are good assassins to learn early.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out... I play on PS4 so I guess some aim sensitive characters can be a bit more tricky compared to their PC counterparts. Though I doubt I'll ever play anyone at 'high levels'! :D

Out of curiosity, is there a way to try out gods before unlocking them outside the weekly rotation?

XenoRaven

I'm really biased because I absolutely hate Loki. Like I don't think there's a god in the game I hate more. He's not terribly hard to play though.

If you want to broaden your assassin horizons, I would highly recommend Bastet. She doesn't have the CC that some other assassins have, but she has the best tools to get in and get out, which is important for assassins.

gogosox82

Thanks for the replies... sounds like I'm set on the guardian front at least.

Have only played Thor which is the only assassin I own (same with Ymir for guardians) which is why I'm looking to adding a few more characters to those two categories.

EDIT:

Oh, thanks for pointing that out... I play on PS4 so I guess some aim sensitive characters can be a bit more tricky compared to their PC counterparts. Though I doubt I'll ever play anyone at 'high levels'! :D

Out of curiosity, is there a way to try out gods before unlocking them outside the weekly rotation?

You can try out any gods in jungle practice.

I'm really biased because I absolutely hate Loki. Like I don't think there's a god in the game I hate more. He's not terribly hard to play though.

If you want to broaden your assassin horizons, I would highly recommend Bastet. She doesn't have the CC that some other assassins have, but she has the best tools to get in and get out, which is important for assassins.

I just think Loki is annoying. I really can't stand Ao Kaung though. He has what is essentially a combat blink on a really low cooldown,his three procs on hit effects like poly and soul reaver, and the ult that let's you execute and heals you. The heal is the thing that really gets me. Like, why does he need a heal? You can get a kill 30% of there hp and if you dived, you have a combat blink to get you out so why does he need a heal? Hate Ao. He's way worse than Loki.

Agree about Bastet. She was the first assassin I got decent with. Skills are really easy to understand and pull off and her early game quite good so its easy to get into a good rhythm with her and get a couple early kills. Her ganks are quite powerful early as well.

Loki isn't good in conquest but can be used quite effectively in all other modes (maybe not assault but that's random pick anyway). He's easy to play, annoying to play against.

Well split push Loki is a pain in the ass in conquest. Basically you either need to end the game before he does or have someone babysit him all game. Both things are annoying and frustrating. Hopefully he doesn't do that and make everyone on both teams hate him :)

XenoRaven

Ao is a close second. It really pisses me off when a god appears out of nowhere then just suddenly deletes me and there's literally no counter play other than "always know where this invisible god is at all times".

The counter play to Loki is that your team mates will not feed him and will work together to punish him if he goes in and kills you too aggressively. Loadsaluck having fun in most games with that.

I think that Mystical would knock AO Kuang out of stealth but not Loki. The main problem is that he gets fed and just one shots you. If you just want to chase him down than Zhong's ult is the funniest since the ghosts chase him.

XenoRaven

If there were an item with a passive that capped a certain amount of damage from a single hit to a certain percentage of your health every 60-80 seconds or something like that, I would build it every game where there was an enemy Loki regardless of my role.

Kalentan

Since the patch came out on PS4, I have learned one thing. If Skadi is on the enemy team in Joust. Surrender. She's broken as fuck in that game mode. The only way to counter their Skadi, is to have another Skadi.

patchday

have you been killing her dog? I do well against her

Finally booted up ps4 version. I see the revised tutorial they have now is on Joust. Looks very good. I swear ps4 version is looking more colorful for me for some reason then my PC version even though both are played on same monitor. weird

Kalentan

have you been killing her dog? I do well against her

Finally booted up ps4 version. I see the revised tutorial they have now is on Joust. Looks very good. I swear ps4 version is looking more colorful for me for some reason then my PC version even though both are played on same monitor. weird

I have, still very annoying. More so with less room, you find yourself bouncing around due to her ice far more often.

Also remember to turn on 60 fps on PS4 in the User Interface menu.

gogosox82

The counter play to Loki is that your team mates will not feed him and will work together to punish him if he goes in and kills you too aggressively. Loadsaluck having fun in most games with that.

Which is why he's a pain in the ass. The whole game becomes "Where is loki and what is he doing".

Doesn't Mystical Mail help too? Since the aura causes damage.

Its doesn't break his invis but he'll take damage from it so you can see where he is.

Since the patch came out on PS4, I have learned one thing. If Skadi is on the enemy team in Joust. Surrender. She's broken as fuck in that game mode. The only way to counter their Skadi, is to have another Skadi.

Yeah, you basically cannot fight Skadi 1v1. You have to gank her to kill her and even then she'll do so much damage to you that her teammates will pick you off as soon as you kill her. if she gets the drop on you, your dead plain and simple. Hard to play against but fun to play.

You can hire Gods for small amount of time for favour. A day up to a week I think. It will cost significantly less than buying the God outright. This will let you play them in any mode during that hire period.

Well split push Loki is a pain in the ass in conquest. Basically you either need to end the game before he does or have someone babysit him all game. Both things are annoying and frustrating. Hopefully he doesn't do that and make everyone on both teams hate him :)

Depends on the team I guess, he was recently played in the spl and just did terribly. If your team isn't coordinated he can run riot but once it gets to the team fighting stage, coordinated or not he because mostly useless.

Nyx

Your Nox tips really seem to help, just had some good games in Arena mode (a 2/0/24 and 7/2/16).

Also bought a skin for her, definitely one of my favorite gods now!

Nice to help out a low health and retreating teammate by snaring the enemy who is after him too. :)

patchday

I have, still very annoying. More so with less room, you find yourself bouncing around due to her ice far more often.

Also remember to turn on 60 fps on PS4 in the User Interface menu.

Well I mostly camp Arena so yeah you guys would know more than me in that regard

Smite is actually on Steam, I switched to the Steam version for tracking, screenshots, etc.

oh nice, thanks for the tip. Didnt even think to check to see if Smite was on Steam store. I finally got around to installing it from Steam

oh nice, thanks for the tip. Didnt even think to check to see if Smite was on Steam store. I finally got around to installing it from Steam

Sure thing!

I've also noticed they've rolled out a new chest kind of stealthily, it's a sci-fi themed one which contains two skins I really wanted but didn't know would be available again, iDusa and Nu Horizons Nu Wa:
http://smite.gamepedia.com/Final_Frontier_Chest
For those that don't know, you get one item from the chest randomly but you can't get items you already have, meaning buying this one six times guarantees you get all six god skins it contains. I'll probably buy gems to exhaust it before it's removed; I've already rolled once with saved gems and got Sentry Vulcan which is pretty cool. I'm mostly interested in the two exclusives but was considering getting the Bakasura skin so I don't mind rolling that one too.

Can someone provide any tips on playing Fenrir in conquest?

Most of the time I feel like I do a pretty good job, killing far more enemies than I die, often ending with the top killcount on our team, and helping team mates gank enemies and such, but I feel like in many cases we still lose.

Sometimes I also seem to get underleveled compared to my team. I am trying to jungle but this is my first moba (except for Future Cop LAPD and Awesomenaughts) so there plenty of things I do not do that well.

I feel like I play a very good Fenrir in Joust and Arena, dominating most matches, but in conquest I feel as though I probably make more sub-optimal plays and we end up losing a lot more. I don't think it's all my fault that we lose, but I know I could be better.

Can someone provide any tips on playing Fenrir in conquest?

Most of the time I feel like I do a pretty good job, killing far more enemies than I die, often ending with the top killcount on our team, and helping team mates gank enemies and such, but I feel like in many cases we still lose.

Sometimes I also seem to get underleveled compared to my team. I am trying to jungle but this is my first moba (except for Future Cop LAPD and Awesomenaughts) so there plenty of things I do not do that well.

I feel like I play a very good Fenrir in Joust and Arena, dominating most matches, but in conquest I feel as though I probably make more sub-optimal plays and we end up losing a lot more. I don't think it's all my fault that we lose, but I know I could be better.

What build are you going for with Fenrir. Early game Fenrir is all about his abilities, his 3 does really good damage early game.

Lategame his ability damage drops off though so at that point you have a choice. Either go bruiser or build into your auto attacks.

I have Fenrir at mastery 4 but personally I've never bothered to go with an auto attack build so I can't really help there (you could probably look it up quite easily).

Build order would be something like Bumbas, Warrior Tabi, Breastplate of Valor, Hide of the Urchin, Bulwark of Hope, Jotunn's, Titans Bane

You want to get Urchin early because of it's stacks however if you're behind it may not be a good option.

I'm not sure if it's out on consoles yet but shifters shield was recently buffed (cost was dropped) and would be a good replacement. Good protections and one of the highest damage stats on any item you can buy.

In terms of falling behind how far behind and who are you behind?

As a jungler you will be behind the solo laner, hunter and closely behind the mid laner.

Also keep in mind that there is currently a problem with the jungle meta right now where just farming the jungle will not provide you with enough farm to keep up. This is why junglers often follow the mid laners around and leech some of their xp.

You kind of want to be sticking around mid lane until at least lv 5 before you go looking for a gank in duo, solo or go looking for a pick in the jungle somewhere.

gogosox82

There's a gem sale this weekend if anyone is interested. Pirate's booty and deep sea chests are 50% off. Finally got the Buccaneith and Skaliwag skins I've been dying to get.

Edit: Agree with what ThirtyFour said. You need to leech some xp off of lanes as well as clearing the camps or you gonna fall way behind. If the enemy jungler dies, you could try to steal some of their camps so he falls way behind as well as is useless in team fights.

I usually go bruiser Fenrir as I don't like aa Fenrir so I usually go Warrior Tabi, Hide of the Urchin if ahead if behind probably BoV, Juttons, Bov if ahead if not Hide of the Urchin, Bulwark, Titans. Though you could trade out the Bov for something else. Like if they have a lot of aa physicals on there team, you could go Nemean or if they have a lot of mages you could go runic shield. Just depends on the team comp for some of your item choices.

I'm really bummed out about Allied. He's the person in the Smite community I loved the most. He's the first person I ever subbed to on Twitch. Such a cool, fun, guy. Great caster, player, and person. Cancer is awful. I hope he makes it through.

patchday

Sure thing!

I've also noticed they've rolled out a new chest kind of stealthily, it's a sci-fi themed one which contains two skins I really wanted but didn't know would be available again, iDusa and Nu Horizons Nu Wa:
http://smite.gamepedia.com/Final_Frontier_Chest
For those that don't know, you get one item from the chest randomly but you can't get items you already have, meaning buying this one six times guarantees you get all six god skins it contains. I'll probably buy gems to exhaust it before it's removed; I've already rolled once with saved gems and got Sentry Vulcan which is pretty cool. I'm mostly interested in the two exclusives but was considering getting the Bakasura skin so I don't mind rolling that one too.

oh crap missed this post somehow. Thanks for looking out!

<edit> I ended up gambling on that posieden chest that was on sale. blew 300 gems and got a bunch of skins I could've bought with favor. probably wont touch a random chest thing ever again for a long while.

What build are you going for with Fenrir. Early game Fenrir is all about his abilities, his 3 does really good damage early game.

Lategame his ability damage drops off though so at that point you have a choice. Either go bruiser or build into your auto attacks.

I have Fenrir at mastery 4 but personally I've never bothered to go with an auto attack build so I can't really help there (you could probably look it up quite easily).

Build order would be something like Bumbas, Warrior Tabi, Breastplate of Valor, Hide of the Urchin, Bulwark of Hope, Jotunn's, Titans Bane

You want to get Urchin early because of it's stacks however if you're behind it may not be a good option.

I'm not sure if it's out on consoles yet but shifters shield was recently buffed (cost was dropped) and would be a good replacement. Good protections and one of the highest damage stats on any item you can buy.

In terms of falling behind how far behind and who are you behind?

As a jungler you will be behind the solo laner, hunter and closely behind the mid laner.

Also keep in mind that there is currently a problem with the jungle meta right now where just farming the jungle will not provide you with enough farm to keep up. This is why junglers often follow the mid laners around and leech some of their xp.

You kind of want to be sticking around mid lane until at least lv 5 before you go looking for a gank in duo, solo or go looking for a pick in the jungle somewhere.

In terms of build, I'm loosely following this

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guid...ide-updated-2-19-15-updated-for-season-2-5032

I know it's a season 2 build but honestly I don't know what I'm doing well enough to choose my own items and there doesn't seem to be a good season 3 build on smitefire.

In terms of getting behind, I sometimes get behind the mages and hunters, but only by a level or two at worst. I didn't know about what you're saying about the jungle being unbalanced right now. But didn't the latest patch remove XP from the jungle by removing a boar?

DeviantBoi

I'm on the PS4 and currently have 200 gems and 17K favor.

Is there anything I should buy from the sale? Try one of those pirate chests, perhaps?

patchday

See my post above about the pirate chest (50% off) but maybe you'll have better luck. I was given a bunch of skins I could've easily bought myself with favor :(

The pirate chest really sucks. If you're going to gamble 100 gems, I'd much rather roll the Deep Sea chest, it costs the same and it guarantees a tier 2 skin or better (so you're at least getting more than your 100 gems' worth). The missus rolled one and, freaking lucky as she always is in these kinds of things, rolled the one skin of the bunch I like the most, Warforged Vulcan.
389px-SkinShot_Vulcan_Warforged.png

In terms of build, I'm loosely following this

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guid...ide-updated-2-19-15-updated-for-season-2-5032

I know it's a season 2 build but honestly I don't know what I'm doing well enough to choose my own items and there doesn't seem to be a good season 3 build on smitefire.

In terms of getting behind, I sometimes get behind the mages and hunters, but only by a level or two at worst. I didn't know about what you're saying about the jungle being unbalanced right now. But didn't the latest patch remove XP from the jungle by removing a boar?

That build is really not good (HoG is never picked up now). You're better using this site, it doesn't have builds for everyone but the ones it does have are done by people from the pro scene so they will be quite good: http://www.smitejunkies.com/conquest/god/Fenrir

The jungle is unbalanced because of how it is designed. Currently you can not level properly by just killing jungle camps and doing the occasional gank. This means that a lot of pro junglers have become a kind of second support for the mid laner in the early game. Clearing mid lane and jungle camps with them allows the jungler to level effectively.

This is not seen as a good thing by the community (the best jungler in the game also made a reddit post about it) and coming in the next PC patch will be some changes to the jungle.

The boar that was removed was from the boar camps by solo lane. It was done to stop solo laners from leveling far faster than anyone else (it helped the situation but didn't solve it). This change didn't effect junglers at all.

Top Bottom