• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

patchday

yay got enough gems from the daily login to unlock that new Amaretsu skin.

Let's see- my skin library:
Ah Punch Alien skin (got free from some Smite event when I first started using codes form the thread)

Athena Enforcer pack
Amaretsu scifi skin

Hm, funny all my skins are scifi in nature. I really love the scifi skins though it makes the game feel more futuristic which I like a lot.

Will probably continue to unlock futuristic theme skins

Poseidon could really use some skin love
(phrasing!)
. He's one of the OGs and yet he only has two premium skins (One of which you can't buy anymore) and a couple Tier 2s (if you count the LC team skin). I'd love to see a sci-fi skin for him.

patchday

Agree'd I'd like to see more skins for him too.

Next I got my eyes on the Artemis future skin, Thanatos mecha, and maybe Ne zha's scifi skin

Lol. I'm the same. I enjoy not having the pressure of having to pick the right God. Plus it helps me learn them all since you can't fault anyone in that mode..
Yeah, I like that too. I'm usually the guy who fills in other modes because I hate seeing teams without a decent comp. Can't do that in Assault, plus it's fun to win a game with a bad comp and good play.

Oh I will fault people. I will fault them all day long.

Not knowing a god is no excuse for not understanding basic team based game mechanics.
Same. I'm okay with not knowing how to play a god well. It happens. However when you're in a mode designed purely around team fights and you don't know how to position or focus properly that is on you, no matter what god.

patchday

Yeah the random gods thing is a good way to force yourself to playing other gods rather than just your favorites I'd imagine. That's what I used to like bout League's ARAM. But I'd say Assault is way better in Smite because all your "experience" with the god counts towards Mastery. League does something retarded where only pvp Summoner's Rift counts towards mastery

patchday

Wow just got a bunch of Fantasy points. So sad I didnt realize how to vote til recently. That's on me I didnt even look at that stuff til recently.

I'm just going with the obvious picks where Team A might be undefeated and Team B is something like 0-4 well I will go with Team A

XenoRaven

Anyone know what's up with skin sales on consoles?

The website says Red Star Athena has been on sale since the 8th. Today's the last day for that skin but I checked in-game every day it was supposed to be on sale and it was definitely not on sale.

gogosox82

Poseidon could really use some skin love
(phrasing!)
. He's one of the OGs and yet he only has two premium skins (One of which you can't buy anymore) and a couple Tier 2s (if you count the LC team skin). I'd love to see a sci-fi skin for him.

Poolseiden still hurts. So many skins I've missed out on because I didn't have the gems at the time. Really wish there was a better way to get some of these skins other than just hoping they throw it in a chest and I get lucky. I don't think I'll ever get that Artemis Convention 2012 skin as there's no way to get it and I'm not going to pay what people are asking for the code on ebay.

Lol, just had an Assault where we managed to freeze the lane for three whole waves. I was Zeus and zoned the rest of the other team from it. When we finally pushed we had like 15 archers and got all objectives in one push, lol.

DeviantBoi

Question: In the summary screen, what do the numbers in the bar represent?

For example, I have +50 Favor and the bar says 38/12/38, +8 Worshippers and the bar says 8/2, and +330 Experience and the bar says 330/83.

Why are the 38, 2, and 83 in the bars (the last number) greyed out?

patchday

Wow new Arena map looks sooooo much better they better keep it

Love the bonus round at the end. Crazy funny. Must be cruching for the losing team to get taken out twice in the row

Really enjoyed Jin Wei

unfortunate this released same time as Dark Souls III tho.

Wish it came out last weekend

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Been playing Skadi on Xbox... and I must say I really like her! I've always wanted another awesome Ice-user in this game (there's so many flame people!), and I don't really care for Ullr all that much. Ymir is great, but she takes things in a wholly different direction.

I like playing her basically as a mage, lol. I feel like I am one most of the time, because other teammates still like to pick another Hunter in Siege and Clash modes.

Kaldir is strong, stronger than I"d have anticipated. If she gets overleveled in a match, he's basically a free 6th player you can sic on weaklings.

But what I really enjoy is her 3, the ice floor. I feel kinda weird rushing a large AOE to max before I get my direct line damage skill, but it's just so good. Takes up so much space, can pop a running opponent fairly well, and leads to assisting the others in ways that very few hunters can outside of AMC's Honey trails.

And she pairs so well with so many others! Her CC is weird, sure, but it doesn't seem to clash strongly with allies, like, say, Freya's float. Whatever you lose by potentially sliding someone OUT of another persons attacks is mitigated by Kaldir, the damage the move does itself, The fact the enemy can be bounced back towards the middle, and the fact it helps slow / interrupt enemy attacks.

She feels like Artemis EX, and I can enjoy that. Joins AMC, Neith, and Arty herself as my favorite hunters to play. It's great having a kinda-mage when that slot is already filled. I like Hou Yi, sure, but I feel comparatively underwhelmed with him in stages without tight lanes and useful walls in active areas...

I like playing her basically as a mage, lol. I feel like I am one most of the time, because other teammates still like to pick another Hunter in Siege and Clash modes.

It's definitely the best way to play her. Early transcendence, a jotuhns for the cd and titans bane for the power/pen.

You're not really looking to build too much attack speed on her.

TFW the new Smite patch is fire but Dark Souls III also just came out

tFdO5ET.gif

TFW the new Smite patch is fire but Dark Souls III also just came out

The arena map and ending mode are pretty great but the rewards for doing the event thing are kind of lacking.

2 icons which are basically nothing and a music theme which personally has no use since I play music in game.

All my spare time is being spent in dark souls 3.

I'm enjoying it. I'm skipping DS3 until it's on sale. Totally burned out on Souls games and it doesn't seem to be that great. Really unhappy with how neutered the PVP/multiplayer is in each release. It's the only reason I play Souls games.

Indignate

Yeah, having to win 10 of this kind of random thing at the end of an arena match is a lot for some icon.

I don't even really like playing Arena.

Smite (which I discovered the joys of a few weeks ago) and DS3 has been some deadly combo for me. Can't complain though, both are amazing games. DS3 is delicious, like remembering all over what was so awesome about DS1 and forgetting the steaming pile of shit that was DS2.

I virtually only play arenas so getting the 10 bonus wins isn't even feeling like something I have to work towards, I'm already at like 6/7. If I remember correctly there's a future item in this event that unlocks if you have got 6 items from it, does anybody know if the three "free" items from doing this quest each week count or do you need all six to be from the ones purchased with gems?

Smite (which I discovered the joys of a few weeks ago) and DS3 has been some deadly combo for me. Can't complain though, both are amazing games. DS3 is delicious, like remembering all over what was so awesome about DS1 and forgetting the steaming pile of shit that was DS2.

I virtually only play arenas so getting the 10 bonus wins isn't even feeling like something I have to work towards, I'm already at like 6/7. If I remember correctly there's a future item in this event that unlocks if you have got 6 items from it, does anybody know if the three "free" items from doing this quest each week count or do you need all six to be from the ones purchased with gems?

The free items count. I think that's why the direct rewards don't seem worth it for the amount of work.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's definitely the best way to play her. Early transcendence, a jotuhns for the cd and titans bane for the power/pen.

You're not really looking to build too much attack speed on her.

I never respect Titan's Bane, but I've been giving it more work thanks to your mention of it. It is pretty nice! Jotuhns is definitely my go-to pure damage item, I normally only got a second on... well, Bastet, actually. I normally liked Asi, but I'm not really sure if that's better... I just like it's multi-part functionality.

I love the fact that Kaldir is basically what I loved about my early play of Nu Wa: she can rush objectives when everything is cooled down, and has decent CC to give her a chance to escape. Except Kaldir doesn't get stuck on killing EVERY TROOP before he decided to hit the objective, haha.

Yeah, having to win 10 of this kind of random thing at the end of an arena match is a lot for some icon.

I don't even really like playing Arena.

Arena feels like the "dumbest" mode for me, but I like getting the FWOTD for it generally. The event isn't on consoles yet, but the fact it's a free way to contribute to a moneysink event sounds spectacular to me, lol.

vel vel vel

Ooo, very nice. I have a huge love/hate for Hou Yi: Either he's very fun at making skill shots, or he just reminds me that I coulda been playing Neith instead, who does what I want on demand (CC, AoE, Super Area CC, Long distance kills) all without needing geometry and game mode design determining if I can do anything cool, lol. I did have 1 match of Clash where his pure raw power was over-dominating though, and that was fun.

Navid

Had a great match where we were a man down but were out-playing and out-leveling the other team for the first half of the game, but as they started to close down the level difference as the game went on it was harder and harder to hold.

This is basically me running up and down the map clearing as many minions as I can see, I have a nibble at their phoenix before stumbling across half the jungle minions for good measure on the way back. Almost had a surprise waiting for me outside the front gate of our own phoenix. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0woi_wvDI1A

They were real determined to get me as I had done these kinds of trips several times during the match earlier and gotten away every single time, only managed to save this one (probably the best one) due to the PS4's 15 min record limit.

gogosox82

Well, just got my first hate message on smite on the ps4 and of course its the guy who feeds and then quits and then has the nerve to tell me I'm stealing his kills. Oh well, I knew it would happen sooner or later.

Edit: Just heard about Allied. Hope he can beat this thing. He seems like a nice guy and I really enjoy his casting.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I never respect Titan's Bane, but I've been giving it more work thanks to your mention of it. It is pretty nice! Jotuhns is definitely my go-to pure damage item, I normally only got a second on... well, Bastet, actually. I normally liked Asi, but I'm not really sure if that's better... I just like it's multi-part functionality.

nothing wrong with titans bane full pen build with a death bringer is best build

warrior tabi, jotuhns wrath, executioner, titans bane, *situational item*, death bringer

XenoRaven

I do a lot of Arena and Clash and I really like Odysseus Bow on Hunters.

Trans, Warrior Tabi, Jotunn's, O Bow, Qin's, then either Titan's for tanky teams, or Stone Cutting Sword for less tanky teams.

I do a lot of Arena and Clash and I really like Odysseus Bow on Hunters.

Trans, Warrior Tabi, Jotunn's, O Bow, Qin's, then either Titan's for tanky teams, or Stone Cutting Sword for less tanky teams.

Stone cutting sword isn't good on hunters as it's passive only works on melee auto attacks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
nothing wrong with titans bane full pen build with a death bringer is best build

warrior tabi, jotuhns wrath, executioner, titans bane, *situational item*, death bringer

Good deal. I've just always been under the personal stubborn assumption that 2 "pure" power items were overkill, and that crit, lifesteal, stacks, or aspd were better to buff.

Skadi really makes me view the game a bit more broadly, which I appreciate. Playing Semi-Mage Skadi VS Generic Hunter Skadi feels pretty interesting at times.

Stone cutting sword isn't good on hunters as it's passive only works on melee auto attacks.

Hmm, that's good to know. Woulda thought things that work on an Auto would work on any Auto of a character that could buy the thing.

gogosox82

Is it me or is Jing Wei kind of weak when compared to other hunters? She just doesn't seem to do all that much damage. The passive is cool but if your not playing conquest, the passive is kind of useless. Her ult is really hard to hit and doesn't do all that much and her steroid is pretty weak. I thought she was going to be really strong but idk anymore.I think they need to tweak some things on her to bring her in line with the other hunters.

Also, does anyone know when they will be reworking Rat? I like like rat but I haven't played him in months because of all the nerfs and how bad he became. I know he got some play in the spl recently but you kind of have to play him as a bruiser who heals and I'd just rather play Guan or Herc if that's what you have to do with to be successful.

I don't really see why you would play Jing Wei when you can play Freya. But maybe she is an item meta dependent god like Kali with Qins. If deathbringer gets a buff she could be really strong.

Not sure about Masamune on hunters. It would be worse on a hunter like Ullr who has higher health than some warriors but better on someone like Artemis with lower health and less mobility. As a carry you should also be higher level and have more health so it would be better for a jungler who is behind.

Generally I think that if you want to go all power as a hunter you just build as much as possible from the mace tree. Transcendence only if you have severe mana problems in the early game. But that is due to it's high cost not giving enough extra power to make it worth the money compared to something like brawlers although it should still make you hit harder.

Navid

Seems the PS4 patch hit today, and brought a few issues with it...

Already have had a match freeze at the victory/defeat screen before it crashed, and now can't even log in again as it says my login/password info is incorrect.

gogosox82

This Athena enforcer skin is amazing.

Edit: Skadi's wolf is super strong if you max your 2 first and build full pen. It will blow up any squishy before they have a chance to do anything. I might change the build but for now I'm going trans, ninja tabi, juttons, heartseeker, brawlers, and titans. I'm not sure about the heartseeker but I figured since the wolf gets 110% of your ms, it will be impossible for someone to get away especially if you ult.

patchday

Downloading now on ps4 although I plan to stick to PC. more interested in checking out how they handled the UI.

Too bad it's a one time transfer deal.

I've been playing on PS4 more and more lately. It helps that I have group of Twitch buddies that fell in love with the game so I have more people to play with.

Nyx

I'm trying to learn to play as Nox, who ofcourse just should have been named Nyx but okay. ;)

Anyway she feels so weak! Or at least as a god that needs to be played in a real team and not when playing with randoms, or?

And I also not understand her Shadow Step ability. Most of the times I end up inside a teammate by accident and it says that I can cancel the ability to exit the shadows but how?

Oh and shouldn't the game be 60 FPS on the PS4 now?

I'm trying to learn to play as Nox, who ofcourse just should have been named Nyx but okay. ;)

Anyway she feels so weak! Or at least as a god that needs to be played in a real team and not when playing with randoms, or?

And I also not understand her Shadow Step ability. Most of the times I end up inside a teammate by accident and it says that I can cancel the ability to exit the shadows but how?

Nox is generally played as a safe mage who can setup kills for your team. Her 1 with the lockdown allows teammates to hit their biggest attacks.

She can work in randoms but you need to play her safe, try to stay as far away as possible which shouldn't be too hard considering she is quite safe due to her dash.

Her dash is a straight line dash unless you hit a teammate during the dash. This allows you to go inside them. Generally this is used to avoid damage (you are immune to everything when inside someone) or you can use it to pop into a teammate who has used a blobal ult and then travel with them. When you leave a teammate you do damage to the enemy so this can be used to good effect if the team is coordinated.

To leave someone who you've accidentally entered you need to press the button that will cancel abilities. On PC this is right click.

Nyx

Thanks for your reply!

Hmm, guess R1 should be the cancel button on PS4 then. I'm going to try some more Nox now.

patchday

Got my Steam controller hooked up to Smite and it seems quite promising. Since the mousepad on it is pretty quick.Added HirezLauncher to Steam as a non-game and added the arguments to launch Smite to the "Launch options":

game=300 product=17

(Same options used by the HirezLauncher shortcut)

There will be patch notes tomorrow, Arachne remodel confirmed:

Awesome

I've been seeing a lot of Nox during the Arena event and she can be brutal in the rights hands with a team that takes advantage of her. Her CC lockdown is pretty strong and her silence can be extremely annoying and totally shut people down. You just need your teammates to seal the deal because she's not going to burst anyone on her own.

gogosox82

You gotta hit her 2+1 combo. Her 2 will force people to move out of the area and then you hit the 1 while they are still in the area for maximum damage. IIrc her 2 has 100% magical scaling so it hits for a ton late game. So that's basically the key to Nox, hit the combo and blow people up, use the 3 to escape and the ult isn't bad and does good damage. It can be a bit difficult to hit the combo though.

patchday

Will have to give Nox a try.

Finally got around to trying out Zeus in earnest. I think halfway through the Arena match I figured out his kit. He's such an amazing character will have to get him to at least Mastery 1. Man this game is just so much fun.

Top Bottom