• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Tried a bit of Susano on the PTS.

His 2 does barely any damage but it really good at pulling people out of position. Hard to beads as well due to the speed of the pull.

His 3 I used mostly as a teleport but can be good to finish off that low enemy who is out of basic attack range.

His ult has it's uses but it won't happen that often, not that great.

His one is very good. It's damage is probably a bit high, I wouldn't be surprised to see HiRez tone that down a bit at some point.
When you use each part of it it automatically moves to the next one so you can easily use the dash even when you didn't want to. Will take some getting use to that.

He's very difficult to get away from, dash on the 1, pull on the 2, teleport on 3 and even a small aoe pull on the ult.

When I first played him I grabbed a jotunn's. In hindsight I think that was a bad pickup. It's probably better off building him like Merc or Kali and focus on those auto attacks. he doesn't really need cooldown.

His animations are good too even if his out of combat jump is a bit silly.

He is a lot of fun though. When I got Merc to mastery 10 I started using Awilix or Fenrir for my assassin god but I may have to put them on the back burner when this guy is released.

gogosox82

Anyone know what is the chest exploit from last night was about? I didn't watch the steam so I didn't get any codes so I didn't check the store.

Anyone know what is the chest exploit from last night was about? I didn't watch the steam so I didn't get any codes so I didn't check the store.

You could input the codes in the client and the website version and get 2 chests for each code.

From some tweets it seems like Hi-Rez is just removing all the items gained from people if they abused this.

Lol. Didn't catch that yesterday. Did they ever say what was up with that last code not working?

Not that I've seen but some people have said they tried multiple times to input the code got nothing at first but then received a chest for every time they input it.

May not help Hi-Rez tell who abused the system and who didn't.

patchday

Tried in vain to get last chest code to work other day myself

Well since a chest gave me the voice pack for Hel I figured I'd play her. Fell in love which is weird cause I always thought she would suck (cause in Arena- I never could tell if she was helping much).

Man I liked Hel so much I took her into Conquest and had a blast. Got ran over in the early game by Ra (I fed him and Thanatos 3-4 deaths it was bad). But around mid-late game when we all grouped up she was a beast. I even got some last hits on Ra and thanatos. Completed my revenge and we won the match

Just wish Conquest didnt take so long. The match took 40 mins. Might do more of it though

DeviantBoi

Dunno what happened.

Started playing Smite a month or two ago and I was kicking ass. I was winning around 7 matches a day. I thought I was gonna complete my season tickets in no time.

Then, all of a sudden, I stopped winning.

Now I can't stop losing.

In the past week, I've won one arena match. The rest we have lost in spectacular fashions.

What the hell happened?

Dunno what happened.

Started playing Smite a month or two ago and I was kicking ass. I was winning around 7 matches a day. I thought I was gonna complete my season tickets in no time.

Now I can't stop losing.

In the past week, I've won one arena match. The rest we have lost in spectacular fashions.

What the hell happened?

It's possible that all your wins pushed your elo high enough that you're now matched with better players and you're not quite ready yet.

Alternatively the game does try to keep you at 50% win rate, it's trying to balance out all those wins you got by putting you and your team at a disadvantage.

XenoRaven

Dunno what happened.

Now I can't stop losing.

What the hell happened?
That's the matchmaking smackdown. Enjoy it!

gogosox82

Opened an undying chest hoping for that Rama skin, got Loki skin instead. Knew I should've waited until next patch. Now I have to wait until I get 7,000 fp until I get another one. #Feelsbadman. On the bright side, I'm only 1,000 fp from the hinduman announcer pack so there's that.

Dunno what happened.

Now I can't stop losing.

What the hell happened?

Welcome to Smite matchmaking! Where if you win 10 in a row, the game will try to screw you over and make you lose 10 in a row by either making you play with people who don't know what their doing or making you play against people you should never have play against because reasons.

So I just finished downloading Smite to my brand new gaming rig, but for some reason this game will not work properly. When I load the game, the launcher starts just fine, but the game itself only gives me a black screen. I am able to hear all of the game sounds including clicking on buttons, and if I alt tab in and out the game updates the frame but freeze it as well.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. I really want to play Smite on my monster baby.

Navid

Has something changed with Nox, seeing a lot more of her on the PS4 lately, and ouch is she scary (no Zeus, but still annoying)... She seemingly can keep you from moving for ages (at which point if she has half decent team-mates you are pretty much dead) and does plenty of damage on her own if she keeps you in her 'dome' attack.

Any good strategies for dealing with her, or failing that avoiding her attacks?

Started playing Smite a month or two ago and I was kicking ass. I was winning around 7 matches a day.

Then, all of a sudden, I stopped winning. Now I can't stop losing.
What mode do you play, I find Joust to be the most difficult one to win these days as there is just more chance of running into 3 players in a party and since it's just 1 lane with no real room to split up teams it definitely shows when one team is coordinated.

Personally have never had much issue with the matchmaking, of course sometimes I fall against teams that simply walk all over us but I also find myself on the other side in equal amounts. Can't say I've ever found myself with lots of losses back to back.

I do find however that picking certain gods simply can lead to having a harder time (especially in Joust), Agni, Nu Wa and Ra are probably the top ones... Whenever I pick these our team can usually keep lane pressure but not actually finish players off when it matters and as the game goes on we get turned on usually.

drotahorror

This would have depressed me 100%

I know he secretly hates me for recommending him that specific EVGA model of 970. It was what I would have bought though at the time. He has had a few other similar issues but smite has been the worst. He was able to get smite working for a bit, but he tried to come back to it and he can't get past the launcher. Even when it was working he had so many issues with the hi rez launcher that he dreaded to even open it.

I personally have never had any issues with hi rez's launcher but friend says he'd rather deal with uplay than smite's.

We played a bit on PS4 but I know he misses it on PC.

Man, those PS4 judders in every match really gets annoying.

XenoRaven

Opened an undying chest hoping for that Rama skin, got Loki skin instead. Knew I should've waited until next patch. Now I have to wait until I get 7,000 fp until I get another one. #Feelsbadman. On the bright side, I'm only 1,000 fp from the hinduman announcer pack so there's that.

Welcome to Smite matchmaking! Where if you win 10 in a row, the game will try to screw you over and make you lose 10 in a row by either making you play with people who don't know what their doing or making you play against people you should never have play against because reasons.
But it's all good because those guys that are 500 elo higher than you will get less MMR for winning! Perfect system.

Kappa

gogosox82

Has something changed with Nox, seeing a lot more of her on the PS4 lately, and ouch is she scary (no Zeus, but still annoying)... She seemingly can keep you from moving for ages (at which point if she has half decent team-mates you are pretty much dead) and does plenty of damage on her own if she keeps you in her 'dome' attack.

Didn't you read the patch notes? She got buffed. Her two got a cd reduction and her 3 now has 70% scaling (it used to be 40%). Her ults scaling also has 75% scaling. So people are playing her more which kinda sucks since I think she's one of the most unfun gods in Smite. Pain in the ass to play against and kind of difficult to play. The counter to her is beads the one and if those are down, don't get rooted. The root is the way she confirms all of her damage. If she can't land that root, Nox really can't do anything.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I enjoyed Nox some before the re-kit (though I felt her underpowered and weird then), but I love her after. She reminds me of now-a-mage Hades, in that she has a wealth of CC that she offers to a team, while still being something more of a damage mage.

The Silence bubble stops SO much. Causes De-transformations, halts runs, prevents instant ults upon warp, etc, etc. Of course the lock is good. If I force them to burn anti CC on it, that just helps my Guardian's lock them later.

And the Ult is a great, satisfying skill shot. Can hit it into walls to make it explode, hit it into mid air for AOE damage, prevent healing for a solid time (to where the fountain won't even save them)

The Dash could already do some surprise kills, now it does even more. It's a decent wave clear when used toward your tower / troops, and of course you have all the varieties of escape utility and additional burst.

Outside conquest, I prefer to see (or play) her on teams, especially with Randoms, VS Janus, He Bo, or even the occasional Ao Kuang or Freya. It's much easier for Nox to help other people be awesome, than it is to with many others. I enjoy her in a similar way to as I like Aphrodite.

Even saw her see play in the SPL stream where they were giving out codes, which was nice. I figure showing off how useful she can be there is the reason why play has increased, alongside the buffs.

Recall

So started playing this, this morning. Focused mostly on Arena and playing just as Ra.

Never played a Moba before but I've been doing quite well at this early stage. What can I do to make sure I'm not the one to hinder my team the more I play Arena?

Also what's the playlist that matters? Should I just stick with Arena or does the community more favour a different playlist?

Thanks

DeviantBoi

What mode do you play, I find Joust to be the most difficult one to win these days as there is just more chance of running into 3 players in a party and since it's just 1 lane with no real room to split up teams it definitely shows when one team is coordinated.

Personally have never had much issue with the matchmaking, of course sometimes I fall against teams that simply walk all over us but I also find myself on the other side in equal amounts. Can't say I've ever found myself with lots of losses back to back.

I do find however that picking certain gods simply can lead to having a harder time (especially in Joust), Agni, Nu Wa and Ra are probably the top ones... Whenever I pick these our team can usually keep lane pressure but not actually finish players off when it matters and as the game goes on we get turned on usually.

I tend to stick to Arena.

I've played Joust and I like it. I win some, I lose some. I'm still relatively new to the whole MOBA thing, so I haven't ventured into Conquest mode.

I played some more this weekend, and it looks like things have changed some more. I'm on an eight-game winning streak. My last game I went 12/0/20 and we won despite one of our players leaving the match in the first two minutes.

Almost done with that second Underworld quest. I regret not having done the first one for that avatar, but I was really frustrated with the game at that point. Now, I even bought that Nurse Neith skin and I'm even tempted to go for the Underworld frame.

So started playing this, this morning. Focused mostly on Arena and playing just as Ra.

Never played a Moba before but I've been doing quite well at this early stage. What can I do to make sure I'm not the one to hinder my team the more I play Arena?

Also what's the playlist that matters? Should I just stick with Arena or does the community more favour a different playlist?

Thanks

Always keep in mind that minions are very important in arena. If the enemy team pushes them into your portal not only do they take tickets off you but you lose the chance to take tickets off them. Minions are arguably more important than chasing kills.

In terms of the pro scene and how Gods/items are balanced Conquest (5v5, 3 lane pushing) is the main mode. However in terms of popularity Assault and Arena are the top two.

I'd say try out all the modes, find your favourite and play that. Don't worry about what others think about what you play.

Navid

Didn't you read the patch notes? She got buffed. Her two got a cd reduction and her 3 now has 70% scaling (it used to be 40%). Her ults scaling also has 75% scaling.
No, had not read the patch notes... thanks for letting me know. To be honest even if I had read the patch notes seeing % scaling changes would have meant very little to me as it would have been changes to a character I simply didn't know anything about.

Think that's what was catching me out with her being popular all of a sudden, all the other regular characters I've gotten at least somewhat accustomed to (their range/abilities/damage) via either playing against them or playing as them.

I did take her into Jungle practice and guess I just didn't realise how much of a range her abilities had, plus the Shadow Lock seems a quite good about connecting even if you aren't dead on. The cooldown on it is quite short as well (compared to Neiths Spirit Arrow) considering how potent it is.

DeviantBoi

So let's say I want to get into Conquest.

I play as Neith. What would be my role? What should I be doing? What lane would I take?

Any place I can go and read up on this?

So let's say I want to get into Conquest.

I play as Neith. What would be my role? What should I be doing? What lane would I take?

Any place I can go and read up on this?

Overall hunters, such as Neith, go in the long lane with the guardian (support). Mages in the mid lane, warriors in the short lane and assassins jungling.

This is a basic over view as some characters can go in other roles, some mages can replace the hunter or warriors can jungle etc but those are good examples to follow.

I'm hesitant to give you too much detail as tomorrow on PC the conquest match is being changed and we'll have to see how that changes things up.

Keep in mind though that at low levels the meta isn't a big thing and with low level team mates/opponents it usually goes out the window. Will get better as you level higher.

patchday

Man, someone at Hirez must've decided futuristic skins are the top sellers or something. Man I purchased -all- the Underworld skins.

Only thing that surprises me is these cool new skins do not include the 'voice pack' for that skin for free. Never realized you still gotta buy the voice pack even for skins that have their own custiomized voices. Oh well guess Hirez gotta make money somehow so not trippin'

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Only thing that surprises me is these cool new skins do not include the 'voice pack' for that skin for free. Never realized you still gotta buy the voice pack even for skins that have their own custiomized voices. Oh well guess Hirez gotta make money somehow so not trippin'

You buy one voice pack, and it covers all that characters skins. I thought that's incredibly generous of them: I expected to pay per costume, since it's a LOT of new voice work.

patchday

Looks like if I own a skin for a character his/her voice pack price is reduced? I noticed all the characters I purchased Underworld skins for the voice packs only cost 100 gems

gogosox82

You buy one voice pack, and it covers all that characters skins. I thought that's incredibly generous of them: I expected to pay per costume, since it's a LOT of new voice work.

Yeah I think its pretty generous. And you can usually save gems and buy a bunch when there is a sale since they usually go on sale for 100 gems. I picked up a bunch during that pirate's chest sale they had a few weeks ago.

Looks like if I own a skin for a character his/her voice pack price is reduced? I noticed all the characters I purchased Underworld skins for the voice packs only cost 100 gems

Nah. Gotta be a sale. They are always 200 gems unless there's a sale. I bought the Guan Underworld skin but not have has vp on ps4 and its saying its 200 for me. There was a sale so that's probably what it was.

gogosox82

No, had not read the patch notes... thanks for letting me know. To be honest even if I had read the patch notes seeing % scaling changes would have meant very little to me as it would have been changes to a character I simply didn't know anything about.

Think that's what was catching me out with her being popular all of a sudden, all the other regular characters I've gotten at least somewhat accustomed to (their range/abilities/damage) via either playing against them or playing as them.

I did take her into Jungle practice and guess I just didn't realise how much of a range her abilities had, plus the Shadow Lock seems a quite good about connecting even if you aren't dead on. The cooldown on it is quite short as well (compared to Neiths Spirit Arrow) considering how potent it is.

Well that what usually happens in Smite. A God will get a buff and people will start playing her because they got said buff.

Yeah I'm more concerned about the cd reduction on the 2 than anything else. It stops so many abilities. She really screws over melee gods. If your fighting and Nox puts down her 2, your abilities get canceled immediately and you can do is run away which is really hard to do in the middle of a team fight. Its surprising that she doesn't see more play in the SPL given how the jungle is and how there's always a jungler in your lane to help her with her poor early game clear but I guess its just easier to pick Isis or Janus since they have better clear earlier than Nox does.

Varth

WARNING! A MOBA NOOB IS APPROACHING FAST!

Trying to get myself to understand MOBAs and thought I'd try SMITE since it's on PS4 and console version seems to be adapted rather well (right?)

Read the OP and don't understand why is it relevant that the game has "no masteries or runes". What does it mean? That characters cannot be equipped with stuff to alter stats? Cannot find the meaning of those words, I get is it referring to LOL or DOTA, right?

WARNING! A MOBA NOOB IS APPROACHING FAST!

Trying to get myself to understand MOBAs and thought I'd try SMITE since it's on PS4 and console version seems to be adapted rather well (right?)

Read the OP and don't understand why is it relevant that the game has "no masteries or runes". What does it mean? That characters cannot be equipped with stuff to alter stats? Cannot find the meaning of those words, I get is it referring to LOL or DOTA, right?

The OP is kind of out of date as there are masteries now in Smite (been that way for a while). Masteries are basically the games way of trackng how much you've played a god. Everytime you complete a game with a god you will get worshippers on that god, the amount depending on whether you won or lost and how long the match took.

I don't play LoL or DOTA but from what I can gather about runes they are basically a buff that you can get. Most modes in Smite do have these buffs that drop from certain jungle camps.

Character can buff their stats. As you play a match you will gain gold. Each mode has its own gold per minute rate but you can also get gold from minion kills, jungle camp kills and kill another player (assisting also gives gold but less). You can then use this gold to buy items which will alter certain stats and also give passives.

Varth

The OP is kind of out of date as there are masteries now in Smite (been that way for a while). Masteries are basically the games way of trackng how much you've played a god. Everytime you complete a game with a god you will get worshippers on that god, the amount depending on whether you won or lost and how long the match took.

I don't play LoL or DOTA but from what I can gather about runes they are basically a buff that you can get. Most modes in Smite do have these buffs that drop from certain jungle camps.

Character can buff their stats. As you play a match you will gain gold. Each mode has its own gold per minute rate but you can also get gold from minion kills, jungle camp kills and kill another player (assisting also gives gold but less). You can then use this gold to buy items which will alter certain stats and also give passives.

Ow. so I should look for another noob resource. Any suggestion? Something with a sort of glossary would be perfect.

Also: thanks for the pointers.

DeviantBoi

30 FWOTD in 14 days for that Underworld avatar.

Already did 4 yesterday. Let's see if I can do it without hating the game at the end.

Ow. so I should look for another noob resource. Any suggestion? Something with a sort of glossary would be perfect.

In terms of what to do for each mode is difficult as they are each different and also often change once a new patch hits with new item and god changes (there is even a map change coming for conquest on console soon).

Your best bet is just to try the modes. At low account levels the meta is 't really important and will rarely be followed.

In terms of God build there are a number of sites that are decent:

http://www.smitefire.com/
http://smite.guru/builds
http://www.smitejunkies.com/

You will probably have trouble building items yourself early due to not knowing what works with what but that will come with time.

Navid

Does anyone else get these frame stutters on ps4? https://youtu.be/UNCfeT4X6M0
Can't say I've noticed this issue on my own play-sessions... but maybe I'm just less sensitive to it during actual play as opposed to watching footage?

Read the OP and don't understand why is it relevant that the game has "no masteries or runes". What does it mean?
I was completely new to the genre as well when I first picked up Smite, I didn't really do much reading... rather I just jumped in and stuck to a character (Neith) and played with the recommended loadout with auto- item/ability on and just learned from playing.

From there I started to experiment with setting up custom loadouts to buy for my characters and if I ran into a particular player that did well with a character I had I would take a screen of their loadout and try to experiment with what they were using (or at the very least look at the items they were using that I wasn't and read what they did).

Finally I came on here and asked questions and found people being very helpful, I'm still staying with auto-purchase but feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the basic mechanics of the game and more importantly the flow of of matches.

Basically I would recommend jumping in and learning by doing (as I feel reading too much without any real context can make it feel more impenetrable than it actually is) and then complimenting what you are lacking by looking or asking for help.

gogosox82

I guess you could try the smite wiki but sometimes they have out of date info on there. I think you should just jump in and play. Start with Arena and then play some of the other modes and there's quite a few. When you get to about level 20. I'd say try a conquest game. I'd say try sooner but people before level 20 have no idea what they are doing and don't know about wards, callouts, roles, etc. and you won't learn anything. If you get stuck or don't know how something works or have a build question, you can just ask it here. I sure if I don't know the answer, someone will and be able to answer your question.

30 FWOTD in 14 days for that Underworld avatar.

Already did 4 yesterday. Let's see if I can do it without hating the game at the end.

I already said fuck it and bought all the skins so I could get that Nox skin. Done with the Underworld event. Think I'll spend the rest of my time playing Uncharted instead lol.

patchday

I wouldn't compare runes to jungle buffs. Runes are more akin to stat modifiers that LoL players have to purchase from the store with 'IP' and equip in a rune page before they enter the match. It's rather a nasty little grind if you want to acquire all the runes.

Thankfully, Smite has nothing like that crap. it's the most annoying thing bout League

But yes in the end, a rune is just providing a stat bonus so you're not wrong.

DeviantBoi

I think I asked this question before, but not sure if I got an answer.

Will there be another Smite tournament this year on which we can predict matches?

Or is it only the matches on the current ticket?

I think I asked this question before, but not sure if I got an answer.

Will there be another Smite tournament this year on which we can predict matches?

Or is it only the matches on the current ticket?

There will be more. This is only the Spring Split there will matches to pick all the way to February (although not every week).

Also there will the ability to pick other regions (Aus/South America) and also Xbox.

These will added later. There will be a small green box on the ticket button telling you there are matches to pick but keep an eye on it anyway.

DeviantBoi

There will be more. This is only the Spring Split there will matches to pick all the way to February (although not every week).

Also there will the ability to pick other regions (Aus/South America) and also Xbox.

These will added later. There will be a small green box on the ticket button telling you there are matches to pick but keep an eye on it anyway.

Excellent!

I was thinking of this because there's that ticket upgrade that gives you 100 FP if you predict 6 matches correctly, but I know I'm not gonna get it before the end of this tournament.

DeviantBoi

I really wanted to play Uncharted this weekend, but that Double Everything event and the Underworld quest will make me divvy up my team between both games.

I'll get to X with Neith and maybe get that 3,000 FP Enigma chest, as well.

Now, I should keep that chest until patch 3.8 deploys next week on the PS4, right? Something about better chances of getting a skin, I believe.

Or is that just for other chests?

I really wanted to play Uncharted this weekend, but that Double Everything event and the Underworld quest will make me divvy up my team between both games.

I'll get to X with Neith and maybe get that 3,000 FP Enigma chest, as well.

Now, I should keep that chest until patch 3.8 deploys next week on the PS4, right? Something about better chances of getting a skin, I believe.

Or is that just for other chests?

I'm not entirely sure, I was under the impression that new skins are not immediately added to old chests when the patch hits so there would be no point in holding off.

I could be wrong however and it wouldn't hurt to hold off if you'd prefer.

Top Bottom