• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Pretty awesome patch me thinks, a lot of awesome skins, but for me the Siege graphical update is pretty damn amazing. Lots of great lighting and textures. I'm really impressed with what they've done with Siege since they introduced it.

I think Conquest might need a graphical update now, lol.

Time to buy more gems!

Liberty4all

Banned
I miss 5 players in Siege. I tried the 2 v 2 mode for the first time today and it didn't feel the same at all. 5 Players had a "crazyness" to it I loved.

The graphical update though is sick.

Liberty4all

Banned
haha saw this on Smite Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR6Kp10ipto

yeap that was basically me.

Here is a full list of the skins on sale:

Agni - Volcanic --- 200
Anhur - Olympian --- 200
Anubis - Gravehound --- 200
Anubis - Stargazer --- 200
Ao Kuang - Sacred Dragon --- 200
Aphrodite - Afro-dite --- 200
Arachne - Black Widow --- 200
Ares - Diamond Sword --- 200
Artemis - Wrangler --- 200
Athena - Red Star --- 200
Bakasura - Death Machine --- 200
Cupid - Lil' Devil --- 200
Freya - Frost Maiden --- 200
Guan Yu - Master Guan Fu --- 200
Hades - Classic Hades --- 100
Hades - Soultaker --- 200
He Bo - He Bro --- 300
Hercules - Grand Slam --- 200
Hun Batz - Space Monkey --- 200
Hun Batz - Shaolin Monk-ey --- 200
Loki - Infiltrator --- 200
Ne Zha - Cyberpunk --- 200
Neith - Ms.Diagnosis --- 200
Odin - Mountain Man --- 200
Ra - Solar Sentinel --- 200
Sobek - High Seas --- 300
Sun Wukong - Dark Lord --- 300
Thor - Heavy Metal --- 200
Thor - Blood Eagle --- 150
Vamana - Lil' Mana --- 300
Vulcan - Sentry --- 150
Ymir - Digi-MIR 9000 --- 200
Ymir - Obsidian Shard --- 200
Zeus - Stormbringer --- 200
Zeus - Almighty --- 200

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I miss 5 players in Siege. I tried the 2 v 2 mode for the first time today and it didn't feel the same at all. 5 Players had a "crazyness" to it I loved.

The graphical update though is sick.

yeah not a fan of it all it is now is stay in lane and farm really boring needs the 5v5 back

Liberty4all

Banned
yeah not a fan of it all it is now is stay in lane and farm really boring needs the 5v5 back

I agree. The extra man per team allowed for jungle roamers to really spice the mode up.

With that said, I did find 5 v 5 in siege one side tended to get curb stomped. Matches last longer now.

Aaron

I agree. The extra man per team allowed for jungle roamers to really spice the mode up.

With that said, I did find 5 v 5 in siege one side tended to get curb stomped. Matches last longer now.
Depends. Some matches run almost a half hour, some under ten minutes. With the right team comp you can push up a lane like it's on fire. Get some kills in there, get your siege tower rolling, and you'll be knocking on their doorstep. Most games I've played though tend to be 12-15mins, win or lose. This is usually because one side surrenders. Which is good because it's exactly what I want out of that mode.

dejan

Smite is still occupying most of my gaming time. Reached level 30, but I've got only 12 gods mastered, so I'm currently working on my masteries. Playing Kumbhakarna right now and who would have thought that playing support can be incredibly fun.

After a rocky start, I'm basically playing conquest almost exlusively which I never would have expected. I'm pretty confident in playing adc (Apollo, Neith, Anhur), jungler (Osiris, Thor) or support (Ymir, Geb, Kumbha) and I did pretty well in mid as Janus, but I haven't played him in awhile. Solo is definitely the role I've played the least so far.

Valygar

I really prefer siege to be 4 vs 4. The first reason is that this way you get to play a mode alone if you have 4 friends. I do not know if it's been changed, but it's impossible to play conquest with a party of 4.

Another reason is more flexible lanes. With 5v5 a dedicated jungler is taken for granted, 4v4... It depends. I usually roll with it, but I've lost against teams with 2-2 lanes.

I don't get Rama. I feel like it does nothing until you level up a lot the passive skill. Maybe it's supposed to be played like a kind of assassin (get 5 arrows and try get a kill) but it's still weird for me.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
since the 4v4 change its forced me back into smurfing seeing how the only good 30 modes are arena, assault and was siege but they dropped the ball with that so now ive gone back to dunking in lowbie conquest until its reverted or the reworked domination is brought in but until then assault and arena arnt enough

Got one game of Assault in with Rama. His kit is weird and I don't know if I really like him. It feels like he doesn't really have that many options and then even that is limited by the astral arrow thing. He can pretty much only buff his basic attack in different ways or roll. I do like the roll/cripple and his ult though. I don't know. I need to see someone use him well first.

Got one game of Assault in with Rama. His kit is weird and I don't know if I really like him. It feels like he doesn't really have that many options and then even that is limited by the astral arrow thing. He can pretty much only buff his basic attack in different ways or roll. I do like the roll/cripple and his ult though. I don't know. I need to see someone use him well first.

Yep, he is a very pure auto-attack god. Two of his 4 abilities are buffs to his basic attack, the third is a roll (which also buffs the next attack) and the 4th is the Ult. In a way it's refreshing, in comparison with gods that has more varied kit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Really really loving playing as Artemis. In fact, really really loving this game. Devs did good!

(My only complaint is that Neith could do with perhaps wearing some clothes.)

JordanN

Banned
Really really loving playing as Artemis. In fact, really really loving this game. Devs did good!

(My only complaint is that Neith could do with perhaps wearing some clothes.)

The game is based on gods who may or may not have existed, so it's impossible to know what they really wear.

But there could have been more attempts at "variety". I also like one explanation defending Neith's clothing (she's from the desert).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The game is based on gods who may or may not have existed, so it's impossible to know what they really wear.

But there could have been more attempts at "variety". I also like one explanation defending Neith's clothing (she's from the desert).

Ha!

Yes. Of course! That must be why she wears heels too.

mkenyon

Banned
Ha!

Yes. Of course! That must be why she wears heels too.

newgodneithlogo.jpg

She's going to get a nasty sunburn.

OsirisBlack

Banned
rama is very very good in the hands of someone who knows how to play him. You really cannot escape him if you have low health.

Phades

I mean, a lot of Gods were depicted as being nude all the time.

So some of these are actually a step up in "decency."

It makes me wonder how many folks make that connection at all.

I find the bonus skins to be more interesting in general, due to the humor behind some of them.

mkenyon

Banned
There's a difference between reason and rationalization. Saying that the Gods (and there are males that are in the same boat) have a distinct style for any other reason than sex appeal is rationalization.

Naughty_Nurse_Neith.png

*EDIT*

And by the way, this is not a value based judgement. I don't look down upon it in the slightest, especially when you consider that they're applying the theme to both sexes.

2-moba-smite-nejnovejsi-hrdina-z-egypta.jpg

The problem is not only a pair of gods that are "sexualized", almost every female god is. Artemis and Change are the exception. When I saw for the first time Nu wa I called her "snake tits". They redesigned Hel, and instead of a old hag, now it's a sexy-ed version. They changed a few art cards of the gods, and the changes sexed-up existing gods. So well, all together, there is a clear trend...

JordanN

Banned
Yeah, there's no doubt there's a certain skewing towards females...

I just find it hard to get upset since the premise of the game are gods. They're perfect beings who could do whatever they want. Sweater or two-piece, makes no difference if you never saw them in person.

If this was a game more grounded in reality, then yeah, it matters more since we see humans.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah. I'm female and it doesn't offend me. I 'get' the milieu and the fact that everything in the game is exaggerated. It'd just be nice for options that's all. I think that's why I gravitated towards Artemis.

Edit - It might be that I just find Neith annoying...

Double edit- and I've not seen most of the gods either. I'm focused on mastering Artemis.

Yeah. I'm female and it doesn't offend me. I 'get' the milieu and the fact that everything in the game is exaggerated. It'd just be nice for options that's all. I think that's why I gravitated towards Artemis.

Edit - It might be that I just find Neith annoying...

Double edit- and I've not seen most of the gods either. I'm focused on mastering Artemis.

I prefer Neith's blue alt skin personally. the Nurse's card just creeps me the fuck out. She was the first hunter I mastered, though now I mostly play Apollo in that role.

Also, Athena is amazing if you know how to use her taunt. You can set up so many kills for your team.

Indignate

I prefer Neith's blue alt skin personally. the Nurse's card just creeps me the fuck out. She was the first hunter I mastered, though now I mostly play Apollo in that role.

Also, Artemis is amazing if you know how to use her taunt. You can set up so many kills for your team.

Artemis has a taunt?

Or do you mean Athena?

Neith is annoying. Hate everything about her. When she killed my Sobek in Assault and I heard that directed taunt, I nearly ragequit.

....SURPRISE! Poor little Sobek...

Fuck off.

Athena is my favorite support by far. Her kit is just a blast to play. The map wide prescenes combined with the taunt is just so good. Her damage isn't bad either and getting people caught in her 2 and 3 combo is really satisfying.

My shining Athena moment was when I taunted the entire team into a Vulcan ult causing a deicide.

EDIT: I do agree though there needs to be more female gods that aren't exaggerated. I'm sure the next god will be a goddess, so here's hoping.

Phades

Neith is annoying. Hate everything about her. When she killed my Sobek in Assault and I heard that directed taunt, I nearly ragequit.

Other directed taunts are far more catty/insulting. Ne zha to Ao kuang and Artemis to Aphrodite are in entirely different leagues by comparison.

EDIT: I do agree though there needs to be more female gods that aren't exaggerated. I'm sure the next god will be a goddess, so here's hoping.
Some have been altered a bit like Kali though, so it isn't a specific design choice with the game. Being surprised that the gods of fertility, beauty, and love are a little overdone is a statement onto its self. Athena, Artemis, Scylla all show a believable character for what they are equally to the others. Lots of the gods are topless/unarmored/clothing impared.

Other directed taunts are far more catty/insulting. Ne zha to Ao kuang and Artemis to Aphrodite are in entirely different leagues by comparison.
Naw. It doesn't have to be insulting or catty to be annoying. Her taunt is very condescending, the tone is what makes it infuriating.

Some have been altered a bit like Kali though, so it isn't a specific design choice with the game. Being surprised that the gods of fertility, beauty, and love are a little overdone is a statement onto its self. Athena, Artemis, Scylla all show a believable character for what they are equally to the others. Lots of the gods are topless/unarmored/clothing impared.
Oh no I completely agree with you here. Don't think Hi-Rez has problems designing female characters. I just would like to see more options in general.

Phades

Naw. It doesn't have to be insulting or catty to be annoying. Her taunt is very condescending, the tone is what makes it infuriating.
I don't think I've heard a directed taunt that isn't that way. Neith in general has that semi-condesending tone to her like a disapointed mom. "Oh you tried so hard". etc. It is just the character/flair that they are trying to insert to breathe actual life into the pixle puppet that gets pushed around by the player.

Oh no I completely agree with you here. Don't think Hi-Rez has problems designing female characters. I just would like to see more options in general.

Wait for the premium skins then, even though most of them are done tongue in cheek for the laughs.

I don't think I've heard a directed taunt that isn't that way. Neith in general has that semi-condesending tone to her like a disapointed mom. "Oh you tried so hard". etc. It is just the character/flair that they are trying to insert to breathe actual life into the pixle puppet that gets pushed around by the player.
lol, you have to understand that my original post was mostly sarcastic and made in jest. I like poking fun at fans of popular characters.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
double favor weekend and free gems

Hello!

You all loved 2x favor weekend so much last time, we decided to run it again. This weekend (June 27th through June 29th) all players will earn double favor for all matches played. Additionally, players will earn free gems for every first win of the day in each mode. This begins 8:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM CET on Friday June 27th and ends at 11:59 PM EST Sunday June 29th / 5:59 CET Monday June 30th.

Now get out there and play some SMITE!

Indignate

Fuck off.

Athena is my favorite support by far. Her kit is just a blast to play. The map wide prescenes combined with the taunt is just so good. Her damage isn't bad either and getting people caught in her 2 and 3 combo is really satisfying.

My shining Athena moment was when I taunted the entire team into a Vulcan ult causing a deicide.

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/smite.gamepedia.com/c/c1/Neith_Taunt_Directed_Sobek.ogg
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/smite.gamepedia.com/c/c1/Neith_Taunt_Directed_Sobek.ogg

Xyber

Just a matter of time before Rama is nerfed somehow. He's a god damn killing machine as soon as you have items for crit chance and crit damage. 6-700 damage per arrow on almost every single shot. Just did a game where Hades pulled in 3 with his ulti, I got them all without even trying.

Interview
http://www.redbull.com/en/esports/stories/1331661554567/smite-interview-the-making-of-a-new-moba

Can you give us some numbers? How many players do you have now? How many hours are played daily/total?
At the game's release in late March we were at three million players and we are now well over four million. We are not on Steam but comparing to Steam stats Smite would sit around number 10 to 12 in terms of popularity and daily players. Most importantly to us the playing population has increased every month since the start of the Beta.

Yeah, finally played some 4v4 Siege this weekend and I didn't think it was as fun as 5v5. It's one notch too far in to "serious" territory whereas I'd rather it be more crazy like Assault.

Top Bottom