• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

mr stroke

Watching some of the WC got me back into this game again. Damn if this game isn't fantastic! Everything gets so crazy towards the end of a good match with everyone getting stuck by the mid Phoenix spamming attacks.

I can only imagine how much better the game is playing with team mates that talk vs randoms :eek:

drotahorror

Ah okay. Thanks! I'm liking the new map's look especially the beachside lane.

BTW feel free to add me guys: Sundull.

I sent you a request on RickshawBracket. Sundull wasn't found.

If anyone wants to add me go for it - anatomyh = id

I play pretty often, have skype, curse voice, etc.

okay this limited hero pool is really annoying

I wish it was more like dota

you guys got any tips for a new player

which hero should I save up for

I like thor and nemesis so far

game seems okay to mess around in every now and again, but I've only been playing arena and one game of conquest

Buy the god pack. It's not on sale anymore but still worth it at $30.

If not save up for GODS that fit the roles you prefer and buy one that looks interesting. The game is balanced enough that everyone is viable right now. Tourney play is really the only issue when it comes to balance.

Buy the god pack.

Typical meta is this:

Duo lane (Long lane, on the same side as GOLD FURY, notable for the long distance between each team's tower) Support (Guardians) + ADC (Hunters)

Middle lane - Mages

Solo lane (Short lane, FIRE GIANT side, notable for the short distance between each team's tower) - Bruisers (Warriors) and a small handful of mages, but less so currently.

Jungle - Assassins and a few magical gods go here (Freya, Ao Kuang)

Now, much like DOTA and LoL some gods can go into lanes that don't quite fit the meta, but that's not really important as a new player.

Anyway, I like to use Arena or Joust to learn how to play a god, then take them into Conquest once I feel good with them, but some people just go straight into Conquest after bot matches or something. It's whatever really.

Learn how to hit your skill shots. Learn the shop, it's simple. Learn how other gods work. More complex shit I suggest watching tutorial videos or asking for help, but coming from DOTA I would imagine a lot of the conquest gameplay is similar, minus dealing with buff camps.

BUY THE GOD PACK.

Thanks for the info. Playing dota helps, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do in lane? Do I last hit? I can't deny, and harass seemed minimal with Nemesis (solo against hades), but I managed to kill him when he got cocky and overextended. Am I supposed to push the lane and get the tower or just soak exp then go gank? What's the best way to farm? It felt like I didn't have enough gold.

Also I was using auto level and auto buy lol, should I stop using that and try to figure out what would be useful?

Never auto-level, and never auto-buy. Generally you should buy the popular items until you learn how to counter build. As for leveling, you should read up on the god's skills.

It really depends on your playstyle and I'm by no means a pro or great player but I'm a stream monster so it's okay!

Last hitting is important yes, the amount of gold you get versus not last hitting adds up over time. The thing with this game though is abilities are typically used to clear minions waves. So getting last hits is pretty easy. This game is ability heavy, outside of the early game most gods have plenty of mana to spend on abilities for things like wave clear and harass.

You can't deny. However pushing the lane helps deny gold. If a tower hits a minion the gold is stripped and the other player only gets exp. Another form of denial in Smite is stealing the other team's buffs and exp camps, but this is tricky and dangerous to do. Mostly leave to good junglers until you better understand rotations. Also Gold Fury is an important objective the entire game, gives a huge amount of EXP/Gold and in higher levels of play often triggers important team fight exchanges.

Early game, stay in lane, farm, poke your enemy as much as you can, ward up to watch for rotations from jungler/mid. If you push to tower you can either back to shop or rotate to gank. Once a tower falls is generally when laning phase ends and people rotate much much more, but this isn't always the case, really depends on the game. Typically rotations occur for buff and middle EXP camps. So keep an eye on those and you can sometimes guage when a rotation or gank is happening.

Just try to go for towers while maximizing your own gold/exp farm by clearing waves and ganking when possible. In some situations you want to play passively, but someone else may be better suited to tell you about that.

In the solo lane. Harass comes in the form of clearing your wave quickly and smacking the opponent around as much as you can without taking tons of damage yourself. You want to force the other guy to go back to base to heal up, thus costing them exp and gold. This is why warriors are the meta in solo right now. They can deal damage and be tanky too. So they can stay in lane and be annoying.

Turn off autobuy/level. Use Tiermonster or Smite Guru to get an idea for basic builds and gameplay until you learn how to counter build.

Again I'm not a great player. I don't even play conquest much, but this is what I've learned over time. Someone else may be able to give you a more detailed idea of what to do.

Indignate

Thanks for the info. Playing dota helps, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do in lane? Do I last hit? I can't deny, and harass seemed minimal with Nemesis (solo against hades), but I managed to kill him when he got cocky and overextended. Am I supposed to push the lane and get the tower or just soak exp then go gank? What's the best way to farm? It felt like I didn't have enough gold.

Also I was using auto level and auto buy lol, should I stop using that and try to figure out what would be useful?

Last hitting gives you a 33% increase in gold, so yeah you generally want to. You should be using abilities to clear a lot. Both sides of the map get a mana buff in order to help sustain in that regard in addition to Death Toll's (physical) and Vampiric Shroud (magical).

Unlike Dota and League, any creeps that get hit by a tower cause you to lose gold completely. So to deny, you just want to push your lane. If your own lane is pushed, always go for the archers first to secure as much gold as possible.

Harassing in lane works in that you want to just position yourself so that you hit the creeps and the enemy god with your abilities while avoiding putting yourself in a place where they can do the same to you (knowing the enemy god of course helps here). As well, clearing your wave faster causes your opposition to take damage from creeps, which is pretty significant.

Typically the jungler does all the ganking. The support will usually roam to, well, support and mid will usually look to counter-rotate these ganks or the opposing mid. ADC's and Solo laners usually stay in their lane in order to farm and keep the opposing laner busy while looking to become more active mid-late game.

And then sometimes shit is just crazy and you have to adapt on the fly.

Special C

So I've been playing for a while, and I'm ready to try conquest. I've been learning Ra and feel comfortable with him. Should I try being a mid laner? Seems simple enough and Ra should be good at it.

I just went 11 and 1 as Scylla in a 10 minute assault. I never play her.

So dumb.

EDIT: To be fair, we had an Xba so it was super easy to ult everyone. Though I nearly got a quadra without it...

Liberty4all

Banned

I used auto buy up to level 10 just so I could get a better feel for both items and concentrate on gameplay flow. But yeah you need to learn to buy for yourself as soon as possible.

I just went 11 and 1 as Scylla in a 10 minute assault. I never play her.

So dumb.

EDIT: To be fair, we had an Xba so it was super easy to ult everyone. Though I nearly got a quadra without it...

Scylla is amazing as long as you son't die until you hit level 20 in assault. Bam, full passive Scylla with three or four items.

Nemesis is only normally played as a jungle character because she does not have good clear. Early on Nemesis harasses by going into a lane and dropping her ult and slow on a character and if people in lane are good they focus that character.

Generally solo lane is the place with the least action. The hardest thing about solo lane is knowing when to leave but you are supposed to pick a character that never leaves and doesn't miss a wave. If you take the tower early then you do risk the wave pushing too far leaving you very vulnerable if you want to farm. What you do then is try to "freeze" the wave on your side by letting your creeps die and only last hitting.

The best way to farm is to get a character like Ra that has one ability that just one shots the whole wave.

Anyone else a VGS troll? I wonder how often I get muted lol.

Someone dies due to stupid decisions? VVGB VVGB, works best with gods with a sarcastic tone like Scylla, Nox.

People that get hit by easily avoidable shit. VVA spam. Finishing with VVGN.

Then of course there's your go to standbys of VER VVX.

One of my personal favorites is Chronos 64's VVS. it's so good.

EDIT: Just to show that I'm not a total ass. I spam these when I do stupid shit too. I always VVGB right before I die an unavoidable death.

Special C

I have an item buying question. Say I have 2/3 of the first item in my build and I died. I don't have enough gold for the 3rd piece. Should I save the gold, or go ahead and buy part 1 of the second item in my build?

Xyber

I have an item buying question. Say I have 2/3 of the first item in my build and I died. I don't have enough gold for the 3rd piece. Should I save the gold, or go ahead and buy part 1 of the second item in my build?

Stick with 1 item at a time. It's better to be able to use the effect of the full weapon sooner. The stats you might get from the first tier of the next item is usually not worth it and you will just delay your damage.

This is not always the case though, I sometimes build tier 2 of frostbound hammer and move on to the next item and finish up the hammer later on since the 25% slow for 1 second might be enough if you are focusing on gods with no good escape.

But I'm no expert and that's just what I think.

Special C

Stick with 1 item at a time. It's better to be able to use the effect of the full weapon sooner. The stats you might get from the first tier of the next item is usually not worth it and you will just delay your damage.

This is not always the case though, I sometimes build tier 2 of frostbound hammer and move on to the next item and finish up the hammer later on since the 25% slow for 1 second might be enough if you are focusing on gods with no good escape.

Then why is auto-but so frowned upon?

Ronabo

Does this game crash occasionally for anyone else? I've only played a handful of games and have had the game crash 4 times now mid game.

Indignate

Supports getting that nerf with the new map.

Farming Gods getting that buff with towers no longer denying gold.

Someone dies due to stupid decisions? VVGB VVGB, works best with gods with a sarcastic tone like Scylla, Nox.

EDIT: Just to show that I'm not a total ass. I spam these when I do stupid shit too. I always VVGB right before I die an unavoidable death.

Really glad that mute got buffed.

I don't really care if you use VGS to be sarcastic (even though its BM so stop) but if you use that shit to laugh and taunt repeatedly, you're an asshole.

I really dislike how prevalent that shit has gotten. Anybody who uses macros in this game should be banned.

It's generally agreed upon that a full Frostbound hammer sucks and Heavy Hammer is good enough.

It's like the days of Draining Blade over finishing Asi.

I never taunt or laugh. Nope. I'm not really an ass in Smite as I genuinely like the community.

I am a trash talker in other games though when the community is godawful. WoW is a prime example. People are really rude in PVP and I will happily talk shit back to someone who talks shit.

Also fighting games. Everyone BMs at some point. Something about 1v1ing people equates to a challenge of manhood to some people, it's hilarious.

dejan

So I've been watching some PTS streams and it looks like just tagging minions for exp and gold doesn't work anymore. You actually have to be near them now when they die or you'll get nothing. Maybe it's just a bug.

So I've been watching some PTS streams and it looks like just tagging minions for exp and gold doesn't work anymore. You actually have to be near them now when they die or you'll get nothing. Maybe it's just a bug.
Nah, it's in the patch notes. Also towers no longer strip all gold, just 50% I believe.

Mana camps also use ranged attacks!

Some items are efficient enough without the third rank that you can skip. Like you can get the second rank of titans bane or heavy hammer and not care too much. But two ranks of a stacking item like devourers or something with a passive that only kicks in at rank three like magi's is not good. You can also start building Qin's Sais but decide to finish it as Executioner to save gold.

Generally speaking if you see a player dying a lot then look at their items and see three unfinished items and no starter item you know they are very inexperienced.

Someone starts doing that to me and I tell them I am muting them then stop helping them and I'm normally support. They normally end up trolling themselves harder than they could ever troll me.

That's the appropriate response. It's like people who complain about shit on Facebook. If you don't like something mute and move on with your life.

That being said, it's sarcastic humor/fun. It's BM I agree, but I'm not telling you to uninstall or die in a fire.

I can't believe people have gotten sensitive to the point that games like Hearthstone have removed/neutralized in game emotes because of BM. Again, block/mute/squelch and have fun. That's what games are about.

EDIT: However I don't like the whole "not helping them" thing. As you are potentially hurting the game for the rest of the team that is not giving you an issue.

Most people generally care about winning more than me I guess. If you are just pub queueing then you should probably realise that if you BM to try to get people to play better then it can backfire because many people just don't care that much.

Most people generally care about winning more than me I guess. If you are just pub queueing then you should probably realise that if you BM to try to get people to play better then it can backfire because many people just don't care that much.
Maybe, but people are just as reactionary to polite criticism as well. People don't like knowing they're doing things wrong. No one does, and it makes people defensive.

Had an assault match the other day where someone else got Vulcan. He obviously had no clue how to build him. He went Poly second item. I told him not to pick that item, as it wasn't that good, nor was it good early game. I had no attitude, and wasn't demeaning at all that game.

"Shut up. I don't care and you're just complaining".

So yeah, I guess people don't care that much.

Strazyplus

So yeah, I guess people don't care that much.

One kind of player I cannot stand is those who actively sabotage their teammates by stealing their buffs but this is extremely rare but I hate more is when people do not work as a team in all aspects as if it was intentional.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
think i can promote to officer ill do that when servers come back up i to am on everyday just straight dunking smurfing :p

edit: cant promote past member but i sent soktos an invite

Top Bottom