• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

My buddy and I traded gifts.
tumblr_lyc51tCVGv1r03eaxo1_400.gif

Really? I got Scylla in assault and had no fucking clue what to do with her. Granted it was my first time ever seeing her.

Build Bancrofts and one level of meditation, max your 3 first, then your 1, ult whenever. Use your three to poke. If you manage to get to level 20 before dying or winning, dive the tower then come back as a monster and kill everything.

So I'm looking to get into this game. I usually like to run melee characters in games so I tried running Fenrir. I had a lot of trouble. I switched to Anhur and it went a lot smoother (still some trouble at the start but that's probably due to me being new).

Is Fenrir indicative of melee gods in this game or would I have a better time of it if I tried another melee god?

I made my account in beta so I don't know which gods I have free access to (pretty sure I don't have Thor who is the in the current free list).

Also the main smite site runs slow for me (no idea why) so I'll be checking out the smite wiki for info for now. Is there a better site to read up on things or is the wiki good enough?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
So I'm looking to get into this game. I usually like to run melee characters in games so I tried running Fenrir. I had a lot of trouble. I switched to Anhur and it went a lot smoother (still some trouble at the start but that's probably due to me being new).

Is Fenrir indicative of melee gods in this game or would I have a better time of it if I tried another melee god?

I made my account in beta so I don't know which gods I have free access to (pretty sure I don't have Thor who is the in the current free list).

Also the main smite site runs slow for me (no idea why) so I'll be checking out the smite wiki for info for now. Is there a better site to read up on things or is the wiki good enough?

you cant dive hard with assassins thats what fenrir is you can only poke for a ton of damage then try and get out if you want to be able to stick on people as melee and stay in combat longer you more want a warrior like hercules or osiris
and if you are looking for trying out other gods you can make a smurf account and once you level your account once youll always have enough favor to rent a god for every match

you cant dive hard with assassins thats what fenrir is you can only poke for a ton of damage then try and get out if you want to be able to stick on people as melee and stay in combat longer you more want a warrior like hercules or osiris
and if you are looking for trying out other gods you can make a smurf account and once you level your account once youll always have enough favor to rent a god for every match

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly give those two a shot next time I'm in-game.

I won't get a huge amount of play time atm so I'll stay away from making a smurf account for now as I'd like to make sure that nay favour I get goes on my main account. I'll keep it mind though for the future.

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly give those two a shot next time I'm in-game.

I won't get a huge amount of play time atm so I'll stay away from making a smurf account for now as I'd like to make sure that nay favour I get goes on my main account. I'll keep it mind though for the future.

Hunter = late game carry. You wreck enemy teams and towers and such late game.

Assassin = stronger early game, usually go in jungle and try to kill enemy heroes early on that expose themselves.

Warrior = jack of all trades, can often be built different ways. If you want staying power these guys typically have it.

Really? I got Scylla in assault and had no fucking clue what to do with her. Granted it was my first time ever seeing her.
Her passive is just really potent and you scale well even without ever having to get more items and on the off chance you do die later in the game well, the other team is dumb.

Really just hog all the last hits you can and get 20 ASAP. Scylla's ult is really good in Assault as there's no much they can do to dodge it in team fights and it usually nets you a chain of kills.

Enordash

As far as I remember IGN will be doing some Smite live streaming today where they are going to give away Alpha codes. Check IGN's Godlike Episode 2 for details.

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I actually managed to get a question read on air and snag a code. I'm already able to boot it up and play customs. If anyone is interested, I could write up some initial impressions.

Build Bancrofts and one level of meditation, max your 3 first, then your 1, ult whenever. Use your three to poke. If you manage to get to level 20 before dying or winning, dive the tower then come back as a monster and kill everything.

You would max Sentinel over Crush first? Or maybe this is just jumbled up. I believe Crush is her 2. Also, to the person asking the question originally, make sure you realize that you can manually blow up the Crush by hitting 2 again. Otherwise, it's pretty worthless.

Xyber

You would max Sentinel over Crush first? Or maybe this is just jumbled up. I believe Crush is her 2. Also, to the person asking the question originally, make sure you realize that you can manually blow up the Crush by hitting 2 again. Otherwise, it's pretty worthless.

Yeah, crush is 2 and most likely the one he meant.

Liberty4all

Banned
Just a heads up, helldivers has temporarily stolen my heart and playtime. I say temporarily because I always end up back playing Smite even after weeks long breaks.

I've been playing smite daily for almost a year now, taking a break.

Blizzard is fucking up with Tuesday maintenance, I decided to look at how Smite is doing as I've stopped playing it a while ago and here I see the reveal of Belonna which at first glance I really like and watching the video of her playstyle seems fun.

So I decided to re-download Smite and see what else is new to the game since I last played.

Xyber

She's insane. I've used her twice and arena and just too easy to do well with her. Every skill is useful and powerful. Hope they don't nerf her to oblivion but she definitely needs some work.

Yeah, she need a big nerf and I'd rather they make her a little too weak in the next patch and then bring her up where needed. She is just way too good right now.

nq44VFl.png

Xyber

Bellona

Master of War
Movement Speed reduced from 6% per stack to 3% per stack.
Protections reduced from 5 per stack to 4 per stack.
Duration reduced from 5s to 4s.

Bludgeon
Basic Attacks using Hammer now do 33% lifesteal instead of 100%

Scourge
Healing reduced to 30/40/50/60/70

The nerfs are real.

Anhur pillar and knockback are so annoying that I would rather he was nerfed into complete uselessness myself.

That warrior chart looks interesting. People were saying that Osiris was off the charts in terms of being overpowered before season 2 started but it actually looks like he is the worst warrior.

Bellona passive speed boost makes her a little like Bakasura 2.0 especially with heavy hammer. Bakasura is already one of the worst gods in the game in terms of being cheesy and low skill.

Anhur pillar and knockback are so annoying that I would rather he was nerfed into complete uselessness myself.

That warrior chart looks interesting. People were saying that Osiris was off the charts in terms of being overpowered before season 2 started but it actually looks like he is the worst warrior.

Bellona passive speed boost makes her a little like Bakasura 2.0 especially with heavy hammer. Bakasura is already one of the worst gods in the game in terms of being cheesy and low skill.

Anhur was considered one of the weaker hunters (along with Apollo) ever since his nerf that caused his 2 to lose damage after penetration. Mostly because it severely hindered his lane clear ability.

He's going to be one scary mofo again.

I got into the xbox one alpha last night,

Everything seems fine, some of the placement is a bit finicky (RAs heal etc..) But I'm sure I'll get used to that the more I play.

Played a couple of siege games to get some bellona mastery before the nerf and is it just me or does this game mode have more toxic players than others? In EU servers at least. Also seems to match me with more Russians.

Xyber

Played a couple of siege games to get some bellona mastery before the nerf and is it just me or does this game mode have more toxic players than others? In EU servers at least. Also seems to match me with more Russians.

Compared to lower level league games, no. :p

In my experience the amount of toxic players is about the same in all normal modes. And I also get matched with A LOT of Russians.

Enordash

Tried the Xbox alpha this morning. I'll start by saying that a lot of my initial grievances may be temporary and could be relieved after fully learning the controls and interface.

Targeting feels very awkward. I usually play inverted, but for some reason I was goofing on the placement of abilities pretty often when trying to get them out quickly. I had to switch the control settings to 'normal casting' rather than 'quick casting'. Quick could be great if you knew exactly where the ability was going to come out. A claw grip actually could be pretty beneficial here. I may need to experiment with other controller layouts.

The game doesn't feel as smooth as I'm used to. Could be low FPS. Could just be controller vs keyboard and mouse honestly. Navigating the store is incredibly slow, but again this could be my unfamiliarity with the interface. I was thinking that having voice chat would be great, but my team wasn't using it and I couldn't figure out if pinging was an option on the fly.

I feel that any god that requires a lot of precision movement and targeting will suffer greatly in the transition. Rama and Scylla ults will be far more difficult to hit. Sylvanus pulls, etc etc. Any super quick movements will also be out of the question like if you were fleeing as Isis and needed to do a quick turn, stun, then turn back to run. This might jumble up the tiers a bit.

Personally, I would have liked to see cross platform play with the introduction of keyboard and mouse support on the Xbox. This would just open up the community a bit more. (Honestly, Microsoft should try to do this with League and make the Xbox the go-to, cheap option for people who are playing that. Maybe it's too late now. I wonder how many new players that game is getting at any given time)

In the end, it does seem like an acceptable port. I just feel like I'd have to do a lot of relearning so there isn't much of an incentive to switch from the PC (that was the original plan). The loss of control is a big deal. As someone who prefers playing shooters with a controller, I'm surprised how awkward everything felt here.

Top Bottom