• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Seems like the same grievances a PC fps player would have when moving to console. Console players will adjust and not miss out on what the PC version does better if they aren't coming from it.

Nori Chan

So I'm completely new to smite as I'm going to be trying out the alpha version on he Xbox one. Is there any sites you guys recommend to learn more about this game and how to play it?

Enordash

So I'm completely new to smite as I'm going to be trying out the alpha version on he Xbox one. Is there any sites you guys recommend to learn more about this game and how to play it?

You can learn a bit from http://tiermonster.com/. It's not as robust as something like mobafire for League. You could always come here with any questions you have. Seems like people are willing to help. Also, watching Drybear or DMBrandon on Twitch or Youtube could be helpful as well.

I know some of that was directly addressed in the alpha code email as alpha issues (defaulting to quick casting, voice chat problems) and the FPS is probably attributed to the early build. I heard that control option 3 and 4 were probably better than the default as well (both put the majority of abilities on the shoulder buttons) so you might want to try those.

As for allowing M&Kb on console, I don't know. The advantage issue is ....well an issue. It's probably the biggest reason aside from having to keep the two builds in parity that we won't have cross platform play. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as it seems though. I haven't tried using a controller on PC.

Hoping to put in some time today to give it a look myself.

Enordash

I know some of that was directly addressed in the alpha code email as alpha issues (defaulting to quick casting, voice chat problems) and the FPS is probably attributed to the early build. I heard that control option 3 and 4 were probably better than the default as well (both put the majority of abilities on the shoulder buttons) so you might want to try those.

As for allowing M&Kb on console, I don't know. The advantage issue is ....well an issue. It's probably the biggest reason aside from having to keep the two builds in parity that we won't have cross platform play. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as it seems though. I haven't tried using a controller on PC.

Hoping to put in some time today to give it a look myself.

Ah, cool. Didn't know about the email. I won the code via IGN. I'll definitely have to check out the different layouts. The default one feels quite unnatural. There would definitely be an issue of advantage if m/kb were supported on the Xbox. I suppose forcing people to buy a peripheral would be lame.

For people coming at the game completely fresh, my gripes really don't apply. My group of friends were always planning to switch to Xbox. I just don't think I want to do that after playing it. I don't want people to think that the experience isn't worth trying on the Xbox or anything. It's definitely still Smite.

I'd be interested to hear what you think after you give it a shot.

Ah, cool. Didn't know about the email. I won the code via IGN. I'll definitely have to check out the different layouts. The default one feels quite unnatural. There would definitely be an issue of advantage if m/kb were supported on the Xbox. I suppose forcing people to buy a peripheral would be lame.

For people coming at the game completely fresh, my gripes really don't apply. My group of friends were always planning to switch to Xbox. I just don't think I want to do that after playing it. I don't want people to think that the experience isn't worth trying on the Xbox or anything. It's definitely still Smite.

I'd be interested to hear what you think after you give it a shot.

Cool cool. Yeah, I think some of the info is kind of important for everybody in the alpha so in case they haven't posted it somewhere, here's some relevant stuff from it:

WHEN TO PLAY

The SMITE Alpha is available 24/7, but please note that we are still in Alpha and there are likely to be only a few players online at any given time.

If you would like to play against other players, we have set up the following times as “SMITE Nights,” periods of time when the SMITE Xbox One Alpha community can log in to play with the developers:

SMITE Nights

• SMITE Night Wednesday: Every Wed, 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM ET
  • SMITE Night Sunday: Every Sun, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM ET
KNOWN ISSUES

• Default Cast Mode is set to Quick Cast, should be Normal Cast. To change this go to Options, Targeting Tab, set Cast Mode = Normal
  • Voice chat is not supported in custom matches.
  • Minor issues with party system.
  • A crash may occur while signing in and out of different Xbox profiles at the login screen.
  • Random occurrences of not being able to move around in the item store. Normally fixed by going to Grid View.
  • Wall Collision - Thor’s 2nd Ability and Ymir’s Wall, when ran into, cause the player to do the jumping animation.
  • Voice chat is not working consistently across matches.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

1. Will I need to do anything to participate in future phases (Closed Beta, Open Beta, Launch)?
  • You will not need to do anything else to be a part of the future phases. You will automatically receive updated releases over the upcoming months and there will be NO data wipe from this point forward.
2. Can I Stream?
  • Yes, you can stream SMITE starting on 3/11.
3. Can I copy my PC account information to my Xbox account?
  • You can’t copy at this time but this will be available as part of the Closed Beta phase in April.
4. How will PvP Queues work during Alpha?
  • We will have Arena available at all times and we have 1 other game mode available on a rotating basis.

6. How can I unlock additional Gods?
  • Each release we will rotate 5 Gods that are free to play, this will give you an opportunity to try out additional Gods.
  • You can unlock Gods through Favor (our in game currency) that you earn through PvP matches and by logging in for consecutive days.
  • Starting in Closed Beta (April) you will be able to purchase Gems to unlock individual Gods OR purchase the Ultimate God Pack which grants you all current and future Gods.
  • Starting in Closed Beta (April) you will be able to copy some data from you PC account to your Xbox account. The copy will include God/Ultimate God Pack data.
FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT

Your feedback is needed!

Email: For help or support in the Xbox One Beta Test, please email: xboxsupport@smitegame.com.

Forums: To provide feedback or to discuss SMITE on Xbox One, please visit our Xbox One forums. NOTE: You will need to create a Hi-Rez Studios Account in order to post messages on the forums.

In the end, it does seem like an acceptable port. I just feel like I'd have to do a lot of relearning so there isn't much of an incentive to switch from the PC (that was the original plan). The loss of control is a big deal. As someone who prefers playing shooters with a controller, I'm surprised how awkward everything felt here.

I feel the same so far, been playing it for two days now, and it's buying from the store that still feels long and slow.

It's also jarring to come across a bunch of new players that don't follow the same format as PC players, for example, Arena, everyone just jumps in the middle and starts fighting, no camps or anythnig.

At the moment it seems more like a brawl, everyone just fights and ignores everything else.

Got to play through the Xbox alpha tutorial and practice Joust and Arena yesterday.

Item Menu:
Really the only weird thing about the item menu is relearning the navigation of it. I think it's actually pretty intuitive as it is though I'm not entirely sure if there is a quick way to upgrade currently owned items outside of finding them again in the menus since I couldn't figure out how to turn off auto buy (I know now). Need to investigate that more later but if there is a quick way ala the PC, then he item menu is definitely functional. I'm curious if a radial wheel set up might be faster or more intuitive though.

Framerate:
So I assume the framerate is 30fps at the moment. I didn't notice any dips but again, I haven't played too much and only against bots. Being used to PC's 60fps+, this was definitely the most jarring adjustment. I think it's totally playable as is, but I hope they can bump it up to 60. This game can get quick sometimes and the higher framerate will make it a lot smoother.

Controls:
I used option 4, switched to normal casting, and bumped up my sensitivity to 18 and I though it was totally fine. Bumping the sensitivity any higher felt a little too squirrelly with the analog sticks. At those settings, I didn't really have much trouble landing Ra's heal where I wanted it or Thor's wall or ult even if they weren't as precise. I imagine hitting more precise stuff like Ullr's 3 or Rama's last ult shot might get tricky though. Again, I'm going to have to mess around with other gods against real opponents but I think the controls are pretty good.

So overall so far, I'm enjoying it. I don't see myself switching over full time to console, but even at this point I can see it as a version I jump in to and play every once in a while depending on circumstances. Hope to get some actual versus stuff in today to get some deeper impressions.

I'm closing in on my first 5500 fortune, I have a list of Gods I'm interested in but just noticed Agni was cheaper than the rest.

He's not necessarily my first choice but I could grab him now and be pretty close to God number 2.

Thanks for the info though.

drotahorror

8ypepYt.jpg

that Awilix and Hades cosplay :eek:

I'd love to go to PAX or any event where hirez is.

Item Menu:
Really the only weird thing about the item menu is relearning the navigation of it. I think it's actually pretty intuitive as it is though I'm not entirely sure if there is a quick way to upgrade currently owned items outside of finding them again in the menus since I couldn't figure out how to turn off auto buy (I know now). Need to investigate that more later but if there is a quick way ala the PC, then he item menu is definitely functional. I'm curious if a radial wheel set up might be faster or more intuitive though.

There's a tab at the top of the shop menu for owned items, you can use the triggers to select it (or maybe the dpad, idr).

drotahorror

join the clannnn

whats your ingame name?

AnatomyH - IGN

I'll drop my clan and join up if anyone can toss me an invite.

I wonder if they're retroactive with the accolades you've already accomplished?

You have officer/lead of the gaf clan right? AnatomyH if you can send invite.

I play about every day and I'm down to party up on skype/curse w/e.

Castef

Banned
Just started playing it on Xbox One. Very nice game with lots of variety in the different gods.

Works very well with the joypad.

Xyber

Plays against a team with Hercules, Ra, Aphrodite and Thanatos. I tell the other 2 people in my team to get anti-heal at the start, me and my buddy start out with early divine ruin, pestilence and weakening curse. The other 2? They get nothing. Isis in our team complains the whole game that we don't help her and that we give away free kills.

25 minutes later the game ends, they still don't have a single anti-heal item and Isis calls us noobs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How do anti-heal items work exactly? Are they active items used during a teamfight? Do you pop them to initiate a team fight? Is it a debuff that gets placed on the enemy?

Any other stat fiends use smitelite?

Just found out about it yesterday and love it.

Oh god, it says I have 14 days 20 hours 47 mins played...

2 days of playtime on Cupid alone. That's an indication of how much I played this game in 2012-2013 because I never play Cupid anymore. I lived with my parents at the time so I'd come home from work and just play Smite until my gf called or I went to bed.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
21d 4h 25mn from my main that i hardly play :p not going to look up 400 smurf accounts to add it all up

edit: i also would like to know when they started gathering the data

Xyber

How do anti-heal items work exactly? Are they active items used during a teamfight? Do you pop them to initiate a team fight? Is it a debuff that gets placed on the enemy?

Divine Ruin and Brawlers Beatstick reduce all healing by 40% (I think it was) when you hit an ability (DR) or hit them with basic attacks (BB). Think it last for 8 seconds and it gets re-applied when you keep attacking.

Weakening Curse is an active you pop in a team fight, anyone in the circle around you gets 100% heal reduction for 5 seconds. So the best thing is to time this with a buddy so you can have at least 10 seconds of no heals up while taking down the worst healers like Hel, Ra and Aphro.

2 days of playtime on Cupid alone. That's an indication of how much I played this game in 2012-2013 because I never play Cupid anymore. I lived with my parents at the time so I'd come home from work and just play Smite until my gf called or I went to bed.

Played
17d 1h 43mn

17 days sounds a lot more than 409 hours.

Out of curiosity can anything be read into a God being not picked/banned in both EU and NA (or maybe in just one continent)?

Honestly a lot of them have some major weakness that you have to build a whole team around or they are just easily countered. Kumbha is just bad bad bad. Hunters in general are just OP but the picks normally come down to the handful that are considered the most OP that time since you only have one per team.

Honestly a lot of them have some major weakness that you have to build a whole team around or they are just easily countered. Kumbha is just bad bad bad. Hunters in general are just OP but the picks normally come down to the handful that are considered the most OP that time since you only have one per team.

Thanks, I can see the trends you're describing now.

I'm looking at Sun Wukong and since he's not a hunter I'm guessing he's easily countered or weak?

Won't stop me from playing him though as I've been enjoying him.

Thanks, I can see the trends you're describing now.

I'm looking at Sun Wukong and since he's not a hunter I'm guessing he's easily countered or weak?

Won't stop me from playing him though as I've been enjoying him.

Sun Wukong is not very good in early aggression and warriors are only useful at high level play if they can get ahead in levels very quickly. He could be seen as a counter pick maybe. I'd say he is playable and he is my most played god but warriors get nerfed fast if they are good enough to be near a top pick/ban.

Is Khumba really that bad?

Is Khumba really that bad?

He is fun to troll around with but a lot of the time it is really random if he does more than just the worst damage in the game or if his ult helps or hurts the team. Why would competitive players want to bust their nuts practising a god that totally sucks until you get good then after practice it's dumb luck if you perform just below average instead of terribly.

Liberty4all

Banned

I've played 1 month 9 days. :(

Top Bottom