• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

drotahorror

I know this is stupid and petty on my part, but the smite community says 'my man' so much and it irritates the hell out of me. Mainly streamers and casters, I don't see people type it.

drotahorror

losin my mind in the MOTD. Have just been slaughtered repeatedly. What a joke of a mode.

13/16 for picks this week. yay i guess. had a sick ass week of wins all week with the occasional loss and just flip my shit today over this dumbass mode.

I missed that one, but I saw them do the Sobek in to Ymir ult combo at some point. The enemy player was able to leap out of it just in time though. Such a ruthless combo when you add the timing with the Janus portal. That play in one of the games where a Janus was able to portal himself through the floor to avoid a Ymir/Poseidon ult because his Aegis was on cooldown was pretty amazing too.

There was one of these moments in the latest Top 5 video.

https://youtu.be/ZTvntEIp5gg?t=22s

Holy balls, all of those plays were top notch. Really nice of Hun Batz's teammates to gift him the penta on that last one. :') That's one of the best Top Plays videos I've seen.

Edit — That Janus dodge was so good I had to make a .gif .webm of it:

Incredible Janus dodge by MelssieFTW

Double Edit — I figured while I was already logged into Gfycat, I'd make a .webm of the Hun Batz penta kill as well:

Hun Batz with the Penta Kill by crossrealm

This is only concept art but it's confirmed to be the final reward thing in the summer event:

flG5dXT.png

Heh. The times that folks get angry in Smite astounds me, but I guess this goes for any online game.

I just won an Arena game where my team won by 400 points. A Thor on my team complains that I stole some of his kills. I don't know, I don't think that matters right now when the only way we could lose would be if we fed ourselves to the enemy's fountain.

Whatev, comes with the territory I suppose.

By the way, in regards to Ratatoskr, Ah Puch and such, I'm very happy that the last few male gods aren't muscle-bulging testosterone-oozing bodybuilders anymore and we're getting some variety.
Now if there could be more than sexy babes for the female cast... the only exception there is Scylla, and that's cause she's a little girl. :p

That's sick. Are you saying it's the final reward for the SPL card thing? I thought it was the Kuku skin?

This is for an upcoming summer event. It is similar to the Odyssey event.

You will have certain items to buy, there will be rewards for buying a certain amount. If you buy one item you get that beach Aphro skin, if you buy all the items you will get that Anhur skin (It isn't known yet how many items there are in total though).

Special C

By the way, in regards to Ratatoskr, Ah Puch and such, I'm very happy that the last few male gods aren't muscle-bulging testosterone-oozing bodybuilders anymore and we're getting some variety.
Now if there could be more than sexy babes for the female cast... the only exception there is Scylla, and that's cause she's a little girl. :p

Well it makes sense for gods like Aphrodite. Most gods were supposed to be "perfect" I think some like Athena are very well done though.

hom3land

Finally finished Far Cry and now can finally try Smite on xbox. I was about to register and create a hi-rez account and its asking if I have a referral.. Do you get anything for refering? if so let me know and I'll use your name when signing up.

Well it makes sense for gods like Aphrodite. Most gods were supposed to be "perfect" I think some like Athena are very well done though.

Well I'm not saying Aphrodite doesn't have to be a sexy babe, now am I?
But let's stick with the Greeks. Arachne is a sexy spider lady with spider boobs. Medusa is supposed to be absolutely hideous, so much so that anybody who meets her gaze turns into stone. But in Smite, she's a sexy snake lady with snake boobs and shit. I mean, admittedly her unmasked face looks snakey and not very sexy, but c'mon, at least drop the cleavage. Bellona usually is depicted as slightly more voluptuous, in Smite she's a WoW warrior babe with boob armor (at least she doesn't have high heels like Athena). Funnily enough, mythological depictions of Serqet are closer to Smite's Arachne than Smite's Serqet, who's literally just a sexy gal with a robotic scorpion tail.

I'm just sayin', I'd like more variety with both the male and female body types. Scylla, Ratatoskr, Ah Puch, Kukulkan - those are steps in the right direction. I want to see more like those. I want more bestial gods like Kukulkan or Ratatoskr are, I want more characters that are elderly and decrepit looking like Sylvanus (my favourite among that would be the Norns or Moiras). I want more female characters that don't follow the sexy babe body type. Why can't we have a fat woman with a body type like Bacchus? Or an old woman. How about Feng Po-po, the Chinese goddess of wind? She's an old woman riding a tiger made of clouds. How's that for a cool concept?

Zombine

Banned
Well...it happened. I hit mastery level 10 with Neith and I'm already being accosted and every move I make is being critiqued....

Sigh.

Trying to master Bakasura, so I lock in and my 4-stack teammates decide to "punish me" by picking all assassins. So of course we lose by almost 400 points, and in the post-game lobby I get shit talked by both teams for being a "noob instalocker" who deserved to get trolled. The asshole teenagers are out in full force tonight.

Zombine

Banned
Sigh.

Trying to master Bakasura, so I lock in and my 4-stack teammates decide to "punish me" by picking all assassins. So of course we lose by almost 400 points, and in the post-game lobby I get shit talked by both teams for being a "noob instalocker" who deserved to get trolled. The asshole teenagers are out in full force tonight.

I feel you. I understand that people get upset with "instalocking" because the rest of the team (in say...joust) is now automatically forced to build a team around you, but right at this moment while I am gunning for level 30, I would much rather see people playing who they are good with, instead of trying to do the tank/healer/adc thing. If you just want to have fun you can always PM me and we can play!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
tell them fuck off its arena also how did they do so shitty when the enemy team had no tank to engage you guys if they are going to be cry babies they should cry from how bad they are

Well I'm not saying Aphrodite doesn't have to be a sexy babe, now am I?
But let's stick with the Greeks. Arachne is a sexy spider lady with spider boobs. Medusa is supposed to be absolutely hideous, so much so that anybody who meets her gaze turns into stone. But in Smite, she's a sexy snake lady with snake boobs and shit. I mean, admittedly her unmasked face looks snakey and not very sexy, but c'mon, at least drop the cleavage. Bellona usually is depicted as slightly more voluptuous, in Smite she's a WoW warrior babe with boob armor (at least she doesn't have high heels like Athena). Funnily enough, mythological depictions of Serqet are closer to Smite's Arachne than Smite's Serqet, who's literally just a sexy gal with a robotic scorpion tail.

I'm just sayin', I'd like more variety with both the male and female body types. Scylla, Ratatoskr, Ah Puch, Kukulkan - those are steps in the right direction. I want to see more like those. I want more bestial gods like Kukulkan or Ratatoskr are, I want more characters that are elderly and decrepit looking like Sylvanus (my favourite among that would be the Norns or Moiras). I want more female characters that don't follow the sexy babe body type. Why can't we have a fat woman with a body type like Bacchus? Or an old woman. How about Feng Po-po, the Chinese goddess of wind? She's an old woman riding a tiger made of clouds. How's that for a cool concept?

100%. As for 'perfect', that is somewhat value-laden (!). Aphrodite could be beautiful whilst wearing clothes that actually clothe her...

tell them fuck off its arena also how did they do so shitty when the enemy team had no tank to engage you guys if they are going to be cry babies they should cry from how bad they are

Whenever I play Arena and someone cries about losing or somebody feeding, I say "who the fuck cares, it's fucking arena", and usually that is enough to shut people up.
Like I mean. It's fucking Arena. Nobody cares. Just have some fucking fun and stop being a tryhard.

I really should get back to playing a bit. I haven't played since the patch that was before Bellona.

Zombine

Banned
So, after I reached Mastery 10 with Neith, I decided to branch out to another character. I decided that my next adventure in Smite would be Ah Puch, but I can't for the life of me find a way to be successful with him. I can't wrap my head around his skills, what to upgrade, and how to play him properly. I didn't want to keep losing, so I decided to switch over to Anubis, and I have got to say that I LOVE this god. His Swarm ability is borderline useless in most situations, but all his other skills are annoying as hell. Not to mention that his mana pool/regen is gigantic, and I never seem to run out of it. I'm definitely going to keep on playing him and hope for the best.

Man Anubis is still so close to what he used to be in the beginning. I feel so useful actually giving you tips about him!

So with Anubis, you'll want to target people who don't have beads or some other CC clear. That's where the locusts come in handy - fire the wrap, call the hands, then spit locusts until they come out of the wrap or their friends pop up. You can cancel the locusts (I remember that a long time ago, you actually were not able to cancel them, and that was very bad).

You'll always have to keep moving, though, and definitely need some actives that help you get out of sticky situations, otherwise you'll easily melt. Anubis is the definition of a glass cannon, but unlike He Bo, he does not have an escape.

Sadly, I'm very bad at applying this theory lesson myself, because I'm terrible with timing.

I feel you. I understand that people get upset with "instalocking" because the rest of the team (in say...joust) is now automatically forced to build a team around you, but right at this moment while I am gunning for level 30, I would much rather see people playing who they are good with, instead of trying to do the tank/healer/adc thing. If you just want to have fun you can always PM me and we can play!
Whenever I play Arena and someone cries about losing or somebody feeding, I say "who the fuck cares, it's fucking arena", and usually that is enough to shut people up.
Like I mean. It's fucking Arena. Nobody cares. Just have some fucking fun and stop being a tryhard.

Preach. It's really annoying when people get crazy in Arena. I've won and lost in completely "wrong" team compositions; individual skill and teamwork play a much more important role than anything else.

So, after I reached Mastery 10 with Neith, I decided to branch out to another character. I decided that my next adventure in Smite would be Ah Puch, but I can't for the life of me find a way to be successful with him. I can't wrap my head around his skills, what to upgrade, and how to play him properly. I didn't want to keep losing, so I decided to switch over to Anubis, and I have got to say that I LOVE this god. His Swarm ability is borderline useless in most situations, but all his other skills are annoying as hell. Not to mention that his mana pool/regen is gigantic, and I never seem to run out of it. I'm definitely going to keep on playing him and hope for the best.

Ah Puch is all about the combo: 1 + 3 + 2 = kaboom. His 1 slows, his 3 applies a DoT, and his 2 detonates the corpses that are created from the 1 and 3 for huge damage. His ult is also ridiculous; it lasts for like 5 years and it's the size of the Pacific Ocean. If you're caught in the middle of it you aren't getting out in one piece. Just practice landing his 1>3>2 combo quickly and you will be golden. I regularly see Ah Puch as the highest damage dealer in Arena games, usually by a solid margin.

Zombine

Banned
Preach. It's really annoying when people get crazy in Arena. I've won and lost in completely "wrong" team compositions; individual skill and teamwork play a much more important role than anything else.

Ah Puch is all about the combo: 1 + 3 + 2 = kaboom. His 1 slows, his 3 applies a DoT, and his 2 detonates the corpses that are created from the 1 and 3 for huge damage. His ult is also ridiculous; it lasts for like 5 years and it's the size of the Pacific Ocean. If you're caught in the middle of it you aren't getting out in one piece. Just practice landing his 1>3>2 combo quickly and you will be golden. I regularly see Ah Puch as the highest damage dealer in Arena games, usually by a solid margin.

I'll definitely work on this! Thanks for the tips.

lol Luap, I like your use of hyperbole. It does feel like you're trying to cross the Pacific if you somehow get stuck in the middle without any way to get out.

So what's up with the current meta? I haven't played Conquest in a couple of months but apparently ADCs are played in like every lane now? What? I thought the whole point of season 2 was a shift away from an ADC powerful meta, lol. Did some good item release? Was it the Heartseeker change?

Just curious. I wanna play Conquest again, but I only play mages. I hear they're in a rough spot right now.

EDIT: Maybe I'm not remembering the start of S2 correctly. I just remember Bart saying ADCs weren't planned to be as heavy during one patch. The one where they nerfed the ADC lane clear across the board. Then Xba/Cupid reigned. Anhur got reverted, but I don't recall much after that. Just Medusa being OP.

I'll definitely work on this! Thanks for the tips.

[VVGR] No Problem

lol Luap, I like your use of hyperbole. It does feel like you're trying to cross the Pacific if you somehow get stuck in the middle without any way to get out.

So what's up with the current meta? I haven't played Conquest in a couple of months but apparently ADCs are played in like every lane now? What? I thought the whole point of season 2 was a shift away from an ADC powerful meta, lol. Did some good item release? Was it the Heartseeker change?

Lol thank you. Yeah it's quite an ordeal getting out of that ult, especially if he has Gem of Isolation. Basically a free kill for the team if an enemy gets caught in the middle of that.

I don't play Conquest but Reddit has been filled with threads complaining about the meta. The only new-ish item I can think of is Ichival, which is super cheap and great on almost every ADC. With Ninja Tabi, Ichival, and Executioner, you are hitting hard and fast with relatively cheap items.

If you play arena with Ah Puch, just toss out bodies across the middle so enemies are forced to either stop and kill them or risk being blown up by his 2. If you're low on HP you can walk over them to regain some too.

As said already, his ult is fucking ridiculous. If you have a team with other strong wide ults (like Zhong Kui or something) or just bursty characters in general (Nemesis with high crit rate) , the enemies are probably going to die if they even touch it. It's such a useful skill.

Just curious. I wanna play Conquest again, but I only play mages. I hear they're in a rough spot right now.

EDIT: Maybe I'm not remembering the start of S2 correctly. I just remember Bart saying ADCs weren't planned to be as heavy during one patch. The one where they nerfed the ADC lane clear across the board. Then Xba/Cupid reigned. Anhur got reverted, but I don't recall much after that. Just Medusa being OP.

Not played in a couple of weeks but watched some SPL.

Mid lane mage is still fine due to needing that burst damage early but for jungle and solo more tanky gods seem to be more popular. Or guardian jungle and hunter solo. It's like min/max for late game damage and crowd control. But this is for high level games where there are not many kills early or kills are traded more evenly.

In season 2 beta there were minor nerfs for hunter adc and large nerfs for support. Hunter adc complained a lot especially about Osiris and support just tried to adapt and kept quiet. Devs listened to that feedback.

Wow, these Smite Pro League matches keep surprising me.

Upcoming Stars DEMOLISHED Fnatic in their first game. You're gonna make me work for that Nemesis Executioner skin, aren't ya?!

people are such assholes in arena :/

I've been fortunate enough to not encounter a lot of jerks in Arena. I've encountered some, but most of my matches are with folks who aren't very vocal. That's both good and bad.

Speaking of Arena, I had two really close Arena games today. One where my team lost by two points, and another one where my team also lost by a very slim margin; 14 points.

22P5xBK.jpg

I've had some great Arena games lately too. Like this Hades match:

http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=158938854

It was pretty even for the majority of the match, but then 3 of my teammates disconnected. 2 of them came back quickly but Scylla was gone for a few crucial minutes. We fell behind and it came down to the wire, when our Serqet quickly killed Artemis and did a ton of damage to Rama before dying. I didn't have much HP left but I went for it — I dove into the center of their team with my 1 and landed my 3 on Rama, leaving him with just a sliver of HP, and just as Cab, Fenrir, and Nox were about to kill me I managed to land an auto attack on the fleeing Rama to secure the kill and the win with just 4 points left. At first when the game ended I thought we had lost. Crazy finish.

I've been fortunate enough to not encounter a lot of jerks in Arena. I've encountered some, but most of my matches are with folks who aren't very vocal. That's both good and bad.

Speaking of Arena, I had two really close Arena games today. One where my team lost by two points, and another one where my team also lost by a very slim margin; 14 points.

It's generally not a big problem most of the time, but the angry players are just irritating. Had a match earlier where one of my friends and I were both lagging, and I was Thanatos so naturally this led to quite a few deaths due to my ult lagging or my scythe missing or whatever, and after it was over our Hades proceeded to talk about how bad we were to the enemies after we lost... Real great sportsmanship despite the fact that I got most of our kills (I went 16/11/4).

Did have a pretty great match with Nemesis before that though, once you get going with crit items late-game she becomes a beast. So much fun weaving in and out grabbing kills quickly.

Not played in a couple of weeks but watched some SPL.

Mid lane mage is still fine due to needing that burst damage early but for jungle and solo more tanky gods seem to be more popular. Or guardian jungle and hunter solo. It's like min/max for late game damage and crowd control. But this is for high level games where there are not many kills early or kills are traded more evenly.

In season 2 beta there were minor nerfs for hunter adc and large nerfs for support. Hunter adc complained a lot especially about Osiris and support just tried to adapt and kept quiet. Devs listened to that feedback.
Ah okay I figured. Guardian jungle has always been a thing, but not hunter solo. I strongly dislike seeing hunters in the other lanes. Just about every mid streamer I watch is doing Neith in mid and it's boring as hell to watch.

Neith is a really boring god in general, and seeing her get play in any lane makes me sad.

I'm just gonna stick to Assault.

I carried a team with Hades today. Though their ADC was an idiot and didn't understand shield of the underworld. Came out with 60kish damage versus everyone else in the game at 20-30k.

Give me Vulcan or Hades and I'll delete Assault.

Kssio_Aug

How does it compare to HotS? I'm enjoying HotS but I dont really like Dota.
Gained a beta code and will try tonight. Can't wait!

How does it compare to HotS? I'm enjoying HotS but I dont really like Dota.
Gained a beta code and will try tonight. Can't wait!
If you like HotS I would give Smite a try. It's a bit more complex and engaging than HOTS, but not super insane like dota. Really the camera angle completely changes the feel of the genre.

Also unlike dota but like HOTS, Smite has varied maps with different gameplay types. It's not quite as varied as HOTS, but they're all different. You don't have to just play 5v5 MOBA style like Dota. There's an arena brawler map, 3v3, 4v4, 1v1, and a 5v5 all random character mode. All the maps play differently and have a different set of rules.

There's also an event mode that changes periodically that can be fun too.

It's worth checking out I think.

When is Ratatat supposed to drop? I assumed he was going to be out this week. Or are they holding off because of SPL?
I was wondering too. Same with the Arena remodel. What is going on at HiRez? =/

Some info on the summer event, but not a huge amount: http://www.hirezstudios.com/smite/latest-news/view/smite-blog/2015/05/29/introducing-summer-of-smite

I remember them saying they had to push off the Arena remodel because of some unforseen issues they found last minute. I bet we get that with the Rataskor patch.

The pacth note video is up on youtube and there was no mention of the arena remodel unfortunately, seems like they don't think it's ready yet.

The pacth note video is up on youtube and there was no mention of the arena remodel unfortunately, seems like they don't think it's ready yet.

Bah. Lame.

Curious if all the Summer of Smite skins will be beach themed. I really want that limited Anhur skin, but I don't need/want a bunch of swimsuit skins.

Top Bottom