• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

So I played a couple of matches today, tried out Sol for the first time (I tend to not really use new gods all that much tbh), and she's alright. Probably wouldn't be my first pick if I felt like playing a mage.

And I played a match as Khepri, which reminded me just how much fun he is. I just love grabbing enemy gods who are trying to run away and pull them back into the attacks of the damage dealers. :D
I love playing support.

So I played a couple of matches today, tried out Sol for the first time (I tend to not really use new gods all that much tbh), and she's alright. Probably wouldn't be my first pick if I felt like playing a mage.

She shouldn't really be played as a mage. You need to spec her similar to how you would Chronos or Freya.

In conquest Sol is a weak mid laner but a very good adc.

I don't play Conquest, I only play Arena. But yeah if she's one of those weird spec characters, I guess it makes sense heh.

If you feel like you want to give her another go your core build is going to be pen boots, polynomicon, demonic grip and spear. Rod will be a later item and your last item is kind of situational.

Fatalis is an option although if you get good at using her 3 correctly you shouldn't really need it. Cooldown in the form of chronos pendant wouldn't hurt either.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
book of thoth and rod of tahuti dosnt matter what mage you use you will destroy everyone with them just build those on sol your 2 will take off like a third of their health just keep doing that and if they start coming at you pop your 3 then vel vel vel vel vel

Me when some dude on my team spends all match complaining about Odin being useless in arena
f3J7MXV.jpg

GAF, how do you play Nu Wa in Arena? She feels lame compared to my main mages Janus/Scylla/Anubis/Isis.

My main issues with Nu Wa:
1. Her wave clear requires both her 1 and 3.
2. Her ult is almost useless early on.
3. Clay soldiers, arguably the most important skill in her kit, is unreliable. You have to depend on the AI of your summons, and it sucks. They often charge the wrong god or a minion instead of your target. And if god forbid you're facing a Loki, he can completely shut them down with his Decoy. Or the hunters and mages kill them. It's Nu Wa's only form of CC and it's telegraphed right there for everyone to see. It's probably the easiest stun to avoid in the game... and without it Nu Wa is nothing.

My New Year's resolution is to try to not leave my Smite running 24/7.

Lol. Well if there's any good time to run it 24/7, it's right now during winter. My apartment is so goddamn cold I might leave it running just to heat up my room a bit.

Also, those were a couple fun games with you and bleeb the other night. Poseidon + Anubis combo was too brutal.

Nu Wa is definitely more reliant on landing basic attacks than mages that can just non stop spam spells on cooldown. Fortunately her root passive is decent for this. Try getting vamp shroud and clearing with just one ability and auto attacks.

The main Nu Wa combo is pretty obvious. Fog stealth, clay minions then combo with shining metal as they charge out of fog. If nobody is clearing regular minions on your team then it will be more annoying for you.

The ult is still good as an escape and map reveal early on. While casting it you get a lot of immune frames.

Nu Wa is best at sieging towers so she is better for assault. The unpublishable clouds and minions makes pushing easier.

XenoRaven

Me when some dude on my team spends all match complaining about Odin being useless in arena
f3J7MXV.jpg
He can be useless in that he needs the team to help him build stacks early on. Teams aren't always on the same page as you, especially when solo queuing. His usefulness in Arena is also mitigated by gods with jump escapes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GAF, how do you play Nu Wa in Arena? She feels lame compared to my main mages Janus/Scylla/Anubis/Isis.

My main issues with Nu Wa:
1. Her wave clear requires both her 1 and 3.
2. Her ult is almost useless early on.
3. Clay soldiers, arguably the most important skill in her kit, is unreliable. You have to depend on the AI of your summons, and it sucks. They often charge the wrong god or a minion instead of your target. And if god forbid you're facing a Loki, he can completely shut them down with his Decoy. Or the hunters and mages kill them. It's Nu Wa's only form of CC and it's telegraphed right there for everyone to see. It's probably the easiest stun to avoid in the game... and without it Nu Wa is nothing.

Janus feels pretty lame in Arena to me, actually, as well as early Scylla. I'd much rather than Anubis, Posiedon, or Zeus with me, as they offer so much more control and presence. Janus also can end up SAVING enemies from death with his warps at times, and he basically just doesn't play well with others, and his real utility (warping people about) isn't strong in a map with few walls.

Scylla is great once she has a max skill or 2, but before that, she's so limited and straight-forward, taking a long time to do things Anubis would have already done.

Anywho, Nu Wa is more of a lane-pusher than a killer, but she really can be both, even in Arena. There's many a time when I'd rather have her than Janus behind me, as a guardian, warrior, or assassin.

The AI on the Soldiers is straight forward: they seek out troops before gods. So you must clear the troops out before trying to engage in god battles. If your team has people who do this well, then her children will do great at lowering magic defenses, causing burst, and assisting in stun CC loops.

But if she's in the front row alone, no one is controlling the flow of enemies, and there's general chaos... yeah, she's hard to manage.

Generally, I love playing her in arena if I have a good guardian, or a second area-effecting mage with me. Her first priority is guarding your own gate, and pushing to there. Her second is to pick off runners, especially if the enemy team doesn't build to counter her. Those who build Instant HP restores and Invincibility will nullify her ULT, but they'll also be taking spots that could be used for anti CC beads or warps.

You play her in Arena as a goddess of opportunity. You're not trying to land your skill trifecta constantly. You send off mist to weaken the enemies, and the decide if you want to use metal to finish them off, and get the troops out to anti-god, or summon troops first, since they last a LONG time when left on their own. Mist can cause tick damage in areas no player character has any business being (like in the enemy gate), same as soldiers. And you have a great way to finish off those who survive team fights, without you even needing to be close and in danger. Of course, if you ARE close, having a mist that's constantly applying tick-damage friendly effects (like reduced healing, lower magic defense, or slow) makes all your teammates seem better than they actually are.

If your team has no good wave clearer, build stacks with her, to get that extra damage needed to meteor people to death. This also makes her tools better at one-skill-shotting waves, which means you can keep more skills ready for self-preservation & attacking.

If your team has few good defensive options, build tankier Nu + Soldiers, and use them as fight instigators. Don't be afraid to build Mist before soldiers, if the situation calls for it. You'd be surprised how many assassins will kill themselves in your own mist, trying to kill you, if you get Physical Cooldown armors. If you can, save her rooting Auto attack for when gods approach, and simply use skills to thin enemy waves.

XenoRaven

Janus feels pretty lame in Arena to me, actually, as well as early Scylla. I'd much rather than Anubis, Posiedon, or Zeus with me, as they offer so much more control and presence. Janus also can end up SAVING enemies from death with his warps at times, and he basically just doesn't play well with others, and his real utility (warping people about) isn't strong in a map with few walls.
I played with a Janus as Ares the other day, and I would ult and then try to chain people after I pulled them in, and then I'd just watch them fall through a portal as my chain whiffed. Dude did it every time. So many people missed their skills because this dude would portal right where I was pulling everyone.

Thank you SAB CA and More Fun To Compute for the Nu Wa advice. I won't give up on her quite yet.

As far as Janus in Arena, I've had a lot of success with him. Too many people use the wrong skill combo (1 + 2) instead of the superior and more team-friendly 3 + 2 combo. Janus' 3 slows enemies down and increases the scaling of his nuke. Add in Janus' passive and his 2 does huge damage if both parts of the vortex connect. I literally killed a Scylla in 1 hit the other day with my passive + 3 + 2 + Soul Reaver proc. It was hilarious. Plus his 2 only has an 8 second cooldown so I usually don't build CDR on him and instead get more power/pen, which makes him hit even harder. Janus' portals can definitely be problematic so I mostly use them to fuel his passive, or I throw one on a pillar and get increased movespeed to help me escape.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Random Note: I'm surprised "Double Guardian" hasn't become a meta in Arena yet. It's fairly easy to anti-Ares or Xing Tian after you get used to it. But BOTH at the same time? Or an Athena and Ares Combo? Geb and Baccus? With even MINIMAL cooperation, such teams eat anti-crowd control to where it's almost a waste of a slot, and can still do very solid damage.

I played with a Janus as Ares the other day, and I would ult and then try to chain people after I pulled them in, and then I'd just watch them fall through a portal as my chain whiffed. Dude did it every time. So many people missed their skills because this dude would portal right where I was pulling everyone.

It's so annoying, because he doesn't even have to do the Portal to increase the damage of his Unstable Vortex; he can just use Threshold. But no, instead, they warp people out of Whirlpools, Krakens, Nox projectiles, Athena Taunts, Guan Yu's final horse ride hit, etc, etc, lol.

I mean, Janus CAN be awesome in Arena... I try it myself a lot of times. But he can also sabotage the team SO easily, and even the good ones can make a slip up or 2 over the course of a full match.

Nox does similar things to assist in kills as he, but is so much less disruptive. Watching her cancel escape moves mid-action (especially to transforming Wukongs or the like) is so satisfying...

Thank you SAB CA and More Fun To Compute for the Nu Wa advice. I won't give up on her quite yet.

As far as Janus in Arena, I've had a lot of success with him. Too many people use the wrong skill combo (1 + 2) instead of the superior and more team-friendly 3 + 2 combo. Janus' 3 slows enemies down and increases the scaling of his nuke. Add in Janus' passive and his 2 does huge damage if both parts of the vortex connect. I literally killed a Scylla in 1 hit the other day with my passive + 3 + 2 + Soul Reaver proc. It was hilarious. Plus his 2 only has an 8 second cooldown so I usually don't build CDR on him and instead get more power/pen, which makes him hit even harder. Janus' portals can definitely be problematic so I mostly use them to fuel his passive, or I throw one on a pillar and get increased movespeed to help me escape.

No problem :) Hope it helps.

And to the bolded... definitely. If people used Thresh more offensively in arena, it can be SO STRONG. Speeding up the return to combat can be such a nice thing (similar with He Bo), but everyone just focuses on being a solo-killing powerhouse.

Reminds me of fighting a tanky Serqet the other day. A great distraction, practically un-killable (actually don't think she died once), and leaving poisons all over the battlefield, Last-Breath'n only the targets that'd surely die from it. One of the most frustrating opponents ever.

Random Note: I'm surprised "Double Guardian" hasn't become a meta in Arena yet. It's fairly easy to anti-Ares or Xing Tian after you get used to it. But BOTH at the same time? Or an Athena and Ares Combo? Geb and Baccus? With even MINIMAL cooperation, such teams eat anti-crowd control to where it's almost a waste of a slot, and can still do very solid damage.

It basically is the best way to win in arena but rarely happens because no one wants to play support.

These people don't realise that a guardian in arena doesn't necessarily mean support. A cd/dmg Bacchus or Khumba is a scary thing.

i've often had top damage and top kills with a bruiser Bacchus build.

XenoRaven

The other day we went up against a team of all Guardians. We won but it was really annoying.

http://smite.guru/match/xb/34646668

I seem to run into Ares/Xing Tian combo every once in awhile, but it seems like it's always people who think that the way you play those gods is meander around and farm until you get ult and then blink in with the most obvious movement possible.

I seem to run into Ares/Xing Tian combo every once in awhile, but it seems like it's always people who think that the way you play those gods is meander around and farm until you get ult and then blink in with the most obvious movement possible.

And that is why most of them fail. Double guardian can be devastating but most of the time it isn't done well, so the usual 2 mage + 1 guardian is more consistent. The best way to do it IMO is to have 1 big ult guardian (Ares, Xing Tian) and 1 consistent CC guardian (Ymir, Athena). Absolute nightmare to fight against because your opponents have to choose between using Beads on the regular CC or the big ult CC.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It basically is the best way to win in arena but rarely happens because no one wants to play support.

These people don't realise that a guardian in arena doesn't necessarily mean support. A cd/dmg Bacchus or Khumba is a scary thing.

i've often had top damage and top kills with a bruiser Bacchus build.

It's so odd to me, because... being a Guardian in Smite is just as combat-busy and kill-centric as almost any other class. It's not like you never see combat, or never have to deal with the items, or need to build all-buff, no attack.

Smite is pretty good about it's "support" roles being fighters, as well. Chang'e to me is one of the ultimate examples of this. Even her team healing hurts enemies. And her Ult is one of the best, straight forward "damage and utility" moves around. Combine her and say, Athena's taunt together, and you have a "healer" and a "tank" that are outclassing almost any pure damage classes in effectiveness.

The other day we went up against a team of all Guardians. We won but it was really annoying.

http://smite.guru/match/xb/34646668

I feel your pain. Even if all-Guardian teams don't WIN, they draw out the battle in ridiculous ways. It's morale-crushing to see half of a team walk out of things that would surely have killed lesser gods. All it takes is for your own team to fail at protecting the gate a few times, and such a sturdy team could win by attrition alone.

Beyond that, the freakin' obvious "Man on a mission" straight walks of Xing and Ares are comical. No Auto-attacks, no devitation in course... just a STRAIGHT walk into Warp-range. I'd give the action it's own theme music if I could. You could start calling it all the way back to when they're coming out of gate...

And that is why most of them fail. Double guardian can be devastating but most of the time it isn't done well, so the usual 2 mage + 1 guardian is more consistent. The best way to do it IMO is to have 1 big ult guardian (Ares, Xing Tian) and 1 consistent CC guardian (Ymir, Athena). Absolute nightmare to fight against because your opponents have to choose between using Beads on the regular CC or the big ult CC.

I definitely agree with the "Big & Consistent" pairing. Athena is a mini-Ares ULT that's available multiple times before he gets to work his magic again. And fewer people build beads to resist her taunt. I don't understand how watching her use a normal skill that can lead to swift team-wipes isn't one of the most satisfying tactics in the entire game. Easily has her as my top-played guardian across all modes.

XenoRaven

I finally got tired of running into Bastets going HAM and decided if you can't beat em, join em. It helps to get intel on a god by playing them so you can recognize their weaknesses. I think the first time I did it was Zeus when I realized that when detonate is down he's basically just waiting for you to kill him. With Bastet I learned that her jump back is always to a fixed location; the location she started at. So next time I run into her instead of being annoyed that she gets away easily, I'll just run to where she started her jump and throw a big damage ability or a CC or something in that spot. Another big plus, she's super fun to play, so I'll be using her more often.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I finally got tired of running into Bastets going HAM and decided if you can't beat em, join em. It helps to get intel on a god by playing them so you can recognize their weaknesses. I think the first time I did it was Zeus when I realized that when detonate is down he's basically just waiting for you to kill him. With Bastet I learned that her jump back is always to a fixed location; the location she started at. So next time I run into her instead of being annoyed that she gets away easily, I'll just run to where she started her jump and throw a big damage ability or a CC or something in that spot. Another big plus, she's super fun to play, so I'll be using her more often.

Yeah, it really does help to play, and recognize weaknesses.

I loved seeing how crazy far Bastet can jump back after her leap. Rather than just a leap and retreat, it's more of a "Leap, pepper the enemy, summon cats, get a few autos, then retreat!" ability, and that's pretty nuts if you know what you're doing.

Kawaiianami Pop Bastet and me became fast friends. Summoning cats BEHIND a person you're close to, and locking them between said cats and yourself, is quite fun. With the initial and tick damage applied from her skills, she actually plays like what I THOUGHT Serqet would be: a DoT Monster.

So guys I finally figured Nu Wa out. At least for me. The missing ingredient was MAX CDR. I've been on a kick recently where I haven't been building CDR on my mages. It backfired on a couple (Ah Puch for sure), and it turned out great on a few who ended up not needing it as much as I thought (Janus, Anubis, Isis). I had been trying to get away with not building CDR on Nu Wa, and it just didn't work. Nu Wa, at least for me, needs CDR really bad. Like, number 1 priority bad. I now build CD Boots and Chronos Pen or Breastplate of Valor as my first 2 items. You can see the difference it made:

The first 4 games: no CDR, terrible results. The 5th game: figuring out that CDR really helps. The next 2 games: nailed it.

That is why everyone, even those who main only a few gods, should try to master all the gods. It's no small task, but the payoff is that you learn how to play AGAINST them. It's one of those factors that separates the good level 30 players from the great ones.

It's so odd to me, because... being a Guardian in Smite is just as combat-busy and kill-centric as almost any other class. It's not like you never see combat, or never have to deal with the items, or need to build all-buff, no attack.

Smite is pretty good about it's "support" roles being fighters, as well. Chang'e to me is one of the ultimate examples of this. Even her team healing hurts enemies. And her Ult is one of the best, straight forward "damage and utility" moves around. Combine her and say, Athena's taunt together, and you have a "healer" and a "tank" that are outclassing almost any pure damage classes in effectiveness.

Agreed. I love bruiser Guardians, and how each class manages so much diversity and cross-role play, if in the right set-up/skills etc.

+ I love Chang'e.

Has anyone of you guys ever encountered that bug where your game tries to connect to a match for a few minutes but then kicks you back into the lobby although the match apparently is going on?
And if you try to join another queue, it tells you the match is in progress.

That is why everyone, even those who main only a few gods, should try to master all the gods. It's no small task, but the payoff is that you learn how to play AGAINST them. It's one of those factors that separates the good level 30 players from the great ones.

I am the worst at playing assassins. :/ I tend to get really nervous about overextending and thus feeding, so most of the time I tend to just stay behind too much. I generally only pick support or mage, with the very occasional ADC if the team's magic-heavy already from instapicks.

I am the worst at playing assassins. :/ I tend to get really nervous about overextending and thus feeding, so most of the time I tend to just stay behind too much. I generally only pick support or mage, with the very occasional ADC if the team's magic-heavy already from instapicks.

Assassins vary, as with all the classes. I was like you, I was fearful playing them. Then, after trying Loki, Serqet, Hun Batz and some others, I found Mercury, and SONIC BOOM, he was my third X. Maybe you need to find one you love? Or perhaps try in another mode - for instance, I love him in Siege, and find he's not quite so imba in Conquest, although my leet pro skillz mean I usually reck, obv, etc.

We just dropped our new cinematic on YT, called 'To Hell & Back': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVYnfJS73U

giphy.gif

Bellona has way better personality than Thor in Smite. Good choice for lead character.

Has anyone of you guys ever encountered that bug where your game tries to connect to a match for a few minutes but then kicks you back into the lobby although the match apparently is going on?
And if you try to join another queue, it tells you the match is in progress.

Judging by how many games take forever to load then someone starts as DC it's pretty common. Probably a network timeout or something unless you generally have really awful load times, for some reason, to the point were you are borderline timing out on loading.

Disxo

Why everyone hates hog now?, even though I only buy it in clash to secure red it is pretty effective even after the nerf.

Why everyone hates hog now?, even though I only buy it in clash to secure red it is pretty effective even after the nerf.

It only targets 1 enemy at level 1 so it was quite a big nerf from what it used to be able to do.

While not bad per se your gold can probably be better spent elsewhere. Either giving you a quicker time to your first item being completed to allowing you to buy a red/purple pot tog ive you a damage advantage.

It's only useful for clearing jungle camps in the lower levels so people go for a purple pot instead because it's more generally useful and doesn't lock out an active slot.

Judging by how many games take forever to load then someone starts as DC it's pretty common. Probably a network timeout or something unless you generally have really awful load times, for some reason, to the point were you are borderline timing out on loading.

Nope, normally I load perfectly fine. My internet connection also has no additional loads, and trying to restart the game puts me to the match loading screen again just to boot me off of it.

Disxo

It only targets 1 enemy at level 1 so it was quite a big nerf from what it used to be able to do.

While not bad per se your gold can probably be better spent elsewhere. Either giving you a quicker time to your first item being completed to allowing you to buy a red/purple pot tog ive you a damage advantage.

Yeah you are right, but still its quite fun to steal that precious red with hog lvl 1 lmao.

I gonna play some now, this trailer made me want to keep playing as Swk support. (With a mage adc that is)

Just had the most exasperating loss... some people really amaze me. My team was winning when our Sobek decided that weren't good enough for him and went afk by the fountain. We ended up losing the game even though we were clearly the better team and we would have easily won if he hadn't quit on us. Unbelievable.

*Edit: And it was even against a team with an Ares + Athena combo. We were still better than them. Our players were skilled. Sobek's shitty attitude is literally what cost us the game.

XenoRaven

Just had the most exasperating loss... some people really amaze me. My team was winning when our Sobek decided that weren't good enough for him and went afk by the fountain. We ended up losing the game even though we were clearly the better team and we would have easily won if he hadn't quit on us. Unbelievable.

*Edit: And it was even against a team with an Ares + Athena combo. We were still better than them. Our players were skilled. Sobek's shitty attitude is literally what cost us the game.
I played an Assault game the other day where we had a chance to win, despite what I consider to be a shit team comp. But we had this Cupid who was way behind, and instead of trying, even though we started winning, he just sat at spawn for awhile running around, and then when he moved up he wouldn't engage in team fights or even try to farm minions to level up. Then when our whole team got wiped on a Phoenix push while he sat at our Phoenix, everyone started saying "You Rock!" and he quit.

Yep, I'm HiRezAndy, I head up the content marketing/video department.
You're the first HiRez employee to post here I think? I might be mistaken. So cool to have ya though.

AMAZING trailer. I liked it much more than the last one. Especially since Bellona was the focus for most of it. Her character design is one of the best.

Tabby

It also sucks when people surrender prematurely when the game isn't even lost, then just afk when the vote goes against them.

Had an Arena motd the other day where we made 2 of the enemy team afk, no deaths on our team and they couldn't even get out of spawn. So much fun but I felt so bad doing it.

It also sucks when people surrender prematurely when the game isn't even lost, then just afk when the vote goes against them.

Had an Arena motd the other day where we made 2 of the enemy team afk, no deaths on our team and they couldn't even get out of spawn. So much fun but I felt so bad doing it.
I had an arena last night where our Neith DC'd almost immediately and our Vulcan started ranting in broken English about how everyone needs to report her and that he isn't going to play, so I called him a big baby which seemed to motivate him. We were winning until basically a minute before the Neith rejoined and apologized, then Vulcan stopped playing again to repeatedly tell Neith that we were going to lose because of her and everyone is going to report her, so it was basically a 4v5 the entire match. Somehow we won in the end.

We just dropped our new cinematic on YT, called 'To Hell & Back': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVYnfJS73U

yTyHvOt.gif

Awesome trailer. Bellona is totally loaded on that dank FG buff. Loki misses his ult. Neith can't land an auto attack. Thor teleports into Ymir's ult and then ults Loki's decoy. Sun Wukong gets baited by Bellona's VET. 10/10 for realism! Also, cool to have a Hi-Rez employee in here.

I agree that Bellona is a good face for Smite. Great character design (not oversexualized like most of the others), great voice work, and super badass.

Disxo

Just finished a conquest game as support (my only role btw) with athena... 10/1/13 this is so wrong in many ways.

Also
Bellona is cool for cinematics but give athena a chance ;D.

Some cool screenshots from the trailer, courtesy of Reddit:

Her nails look pretty nice for all the fighting she does

I've made a huge mistake

Rekt

Say what?

Surprise
buttsex

Ymir is tired of your shenanigans

Goddess of war about to go ham

Loki kinda looks like the Medic from TF2

It's game time

The facial expressions were on point. Especially for Loki.

Top Bottom