• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

The big hunter nerf that made hunters the best characters for mid. The real balance change for s2 was a nerf to the support role. After it came out the competitive meta was repeatedly ganking the support because they couldn't do anything.
Ugh yeah, that was when I quit conquest. I did not like seeing Neith everywhere. I hate her.

Got Artemis' voice pack in my free chest. Not bad! I hadn't played Artemis in ages so I picked her in an Arena match. She hits soo hard, but man once she gets focused it's over in a heartbeat. The enemy Sobek was having a field day with me. Thankfully I killed enough to even out my score.

Got to level 48 and unlocked that Nemesis skin. After getting intimate with that iOS game for a few hours, I found it to be a really fun mix between Mega Man and Jetpack Joyride, but HiRez really bogged the game down with f2p bullshit. Cool characters, but I don't think it's worth spending any more time with after unlocking that skin.

My thoughts exacty. It's actually a fun little game, but it's really annoying that you have to wait hours for your stamina to recharge (or pay gems of course). They could have at least let us replay old levels for no stamina or something.

drotahorror

Buddy of mine grinded it out for me :D

79IPOHB.jpg

XenoRaven

A comparison image of the changes happening to the conquest map:

Current on the right, new on the left.
I've heard that there's no more purple buff, and unless I'm blind, I don't see a spot for it on this map. Does this mean duo gets the red and mid is SOL on jungle buffs?

Edit: Same goes for the yellow buff, unless harpy camps are being replaced with buffs.

I've heard that there's no more purple buff, and unless I'm blind, I don't see a spot for it on this map. Does this mean duo gets the red and mid is SOL on jungle buffs?

Edit: Same goes for the yellow buff, unless harpy camps are being replaced with buffs.

Speed buff is still there however how you get it has changed. There will be some small monsters around the Fire Giant with a similar style to him but smaller, kill those and you get the speed.

There are two possible ways I see it from how it was described. Either there are two speed buffs near the fire giant so both hunters get one but they can easily invade and try to steal or there are a bunch of smaller minions here, as you kill each one you get a increasing speed buff. This means it can be split or completely stolen.

XenoRaven

Haha sorry, I know. I realize most people absolutely adore Neith. I don't really like her design or her kit. I just never have fun playing as her or against her.

BuccaNeith is one of the best pirate skins though.
Yaaaaaarrr
Speed buff is still there however how you get it has changed. There will be some small monsters around the Fire Giant with a similar style to him but smaller, kill those and you get the speed.

There are two possible ways I see it from how it was described. Either there are two speed buffs near the fire giant so both hunters get one but they can easily invade and try to steal or there are a bunch of smaller minions here, as you kill each one you get a increasing speed buff. This means it can be split or completely stolen.
It looks like there's a somewhat flat wall with 2 pillars next to it on each side of the map. I could see a buff going there, but it's mirrored instead of symmetrical, so that seems like a bad place for buffs.

Finally unlocked Leona in Jetpack Fighter and got the Smite skin. I haven't touched Nemesis since I mastered her ages ago, and after playing an Arena match as her I remember why - she feels really weak compared to my usual assassins Loki, Serqet, and Awilix. I really like the Leona skin though, so I hope Nem gets buffed soon...

drotahorror

I'm no pro with Nemesis but build her like a warrior as opposed to an assassin. frostbound hammer is necessary as well. Basically build her like Osiris or Bellona.

Finally unlocked Leona in Jetpack Fighter and got the Smite skin. I haven't touched Nemesis since I mastered her ages ago, and after playing an Arena match as her I remember why - she feels really weak compared to my usual assassins Loki, Serqet, and Awilix. I really like the Leona skin though, so I hope Nem gets buffed soon...

Tank Nem in assault works really well, I've never lost as it.

Nemesis has always been a late game character but the late game for her is meh since qins was nerfed to the point where almost nobody uses it. Frostbound shouldn't really be needed since she is one of the fastest gods in the game and half her kit is focussed on chasing. It's a popular item for her but since everyone thinks she is a very low tier pick it doesn't really make her shine.

My recommended items are power, flat pen and attack speed. Boots, jotunns, trans. Then you have attack speed items like ichiaval, qins and asi. Don't build %pen like executioner or titans bane they don't have synergy with her ult. Good defensive items are witchblade, mail, runeforged and ancile. Getting max cd is a good idea.

Muddimar

Quick question Smite veterans. As a new player (but not new to MOBAs), should I turn on the auto buy items/abilities? Or turn them off and go with a SmiteFire build?

Any tips for a new player? I watched a few videos and everything seems pretty straight forward to me.

Quick question Smite veterans. As a new player (but not new to MOBAs), should I turn on the auto buy items/abilities? Or turn them off and go with a SmiteFire build?

Any tips for a new player? I watched a few videos and everything seems pretty straight forward to me.

Your new player matches should be against other new players so don't feel bad leaving auto buy and level on until you get used to the gameplay. But turn them off sooner rather than later. Builds on websites are mostly fine. You can save complicated counter building strategies for later or always just use a set build for the god if you are a carry.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you use a smite fire build read up on the items and skill picks and try to get a grasp of why they do what and where. This will let you eventually not rely on stuff like that anymore

Korosenai

If you use a smite fire build read up on the items and skill picks and try to get a grasp of why they do what and where. This will let you eventually not rely on stuff like that anymore
I started out using smite fire religiously, but I'm at the point now where I can come up with my own builds or know how to counter build and what not.

So basically, I completely agree.

drotahorror

I would recommend not using smitefire at all. A lot of the builds are trash.

http://tiermonster.com/en/gods is better (not as good as knowing the items and building what you feel is useful) and usually grabs builds from pros and other good players. Once you learn all the items, don't bother copying anyone's build unless it's just a cookie cutter build that everyone uses that works (hunter builds and mage builds basically).

* I did use smitefire when I first started.

If we're being honest... I still use auto-level for skills and use the same item builds for 99% of my matches. I'm just lazy as hell and don't want to think about it too much during the game. I will only counterbuild if I really need it, like anti-heal against a really good Hel, or protection against a problematic Loki.

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind. Any good "starter" heroes?

The free ones that you start out with are all fairly straightforward. Assassin gods are generally the most difficult because they are squishy and melee, so you have to know exactly when to attack and how to get out alive. The most difficult gods are the ones with stance switching: Hel, Tyr, and Ullr. Stay away from them for now.

Seeing Dimi destroying with Tyr in the SWC final made me want to play him. Got him in an assault, he is unkillable, love it.

He could easily become my favourite warrior after SWK.

I saw you drop that kill though.

That Freya! I should have had her, still defended the tower form three of them though.

^ I always blow it with Tyr. He's too hard. Especially against Nox - she completely shuts Tyr down.

I'm used to being annoyed by her though. Her silence completely stops Wukong's 3, so many kills gone because of her.

But I'm finding Tyr is pretty good and I rarely use blink, especially in assault where his 2 gives him insane sustain.

Is there any reason Nox isn't played more often in the pro scene? What are her shortcomings? Also I don't think I ever saw Agni played.

EDIT: Never mind. Someone made a reddit thread on this a couple days ago, lol.

Finally got my Nemesis skin, glad I don't have to play that game anymore. It was okayish but things like the crafting really bog the game down, the controls were imprecise at points, and the rooms repeat a lot.

Indignate

Just got mine too. Took about an hour and some change.

I didn't even touch the crafting stuff. Just used the weapon that comes with Nem cuz it's pretty strong.

The game is alright for what it is. Worst thing about it is that loading in and out of a level along with the stat screen time takes just about as long as doing the actual level. Might just be the ipad I was using though.

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind. Any good "starter" heroes?

I feel like mages and to a lesser extent archers are good characters to start with. They are usually fairly straight forward to understand, and since you are squishy, you will learn how to manage your health.

drotahorror

First game with new God -

Probably not the best build but seemed like it worked in there. Also she seems very mana intensive, even with 2/3 stone of gaia as first item. I completed stone of gaia after executioner.

The Ah Puch and Neith out damaged me.

If you pop her 2, then use her ult, as your ult stuns, her 2 will be fully charged up so you can either fire it off or let it fire it self and you will basically 1 shot someone.

She seems pretty great honestly. Too early to tell for sure but seems really strong. Her auto attack progression hits very hard even with little power. It might should be toned down. Her 2 hits for 600+ when charged. Ult does incredible damage as well.

Amaterasu is fun, definitely feels much different than the other warriors. She doesn't really have a move she can just throw out like most of the other gods, so attacking felt like it required a lot more commitment. Her ult is pretty darn good, does good damage, slows and stuns, and has a big aoe. Only thing that might need to be toned down is her passive cause 10% damage increase in pretty big for something she can constantly do for free (and on aoe), unfortunately it's probably one of those things that by it's nature is either going to be too strong or too weak.

I need to get some more matches in but so far she seems pretty fair.

mcz117chief

Hi, Smite GAF, I have a funny story to tell you. It might start off weird but don't worry, it will all make sense by the end.

It all started in 2006 when Ace Combat X:Skies of Deception was released, and me being a huge Ace combat fan I had to get it for my PSP asap. Just stay with me guys, it is all relevant, I am not posting this in the wrong thread, just stick with me for a moment, ok? ;)

So after playing Ace Combat X for the longest time and seeing the super plane of the game in action, I decided I had to unlock it, so I finished the game on the hardest difficulty and lo and behold I could finally buy my Fenrir (it is now starting to make a little bit of sense, right? You see where I am going with this).

Time went on, suns came and went but I was still a huge fan of Fenrir which is now my favourite aircraft of all time, a beautiful stealth fighter with Long Range Shockwave Missiles that can finish 2 maps by just firing one of these. So after many years Ace Combat Infinity got released in 2014 and thus began my epic grind.

After about a year Namco Bandai released a content update which included, you guessed it, Fenrir, so I was like "Oh boy! Finally! The moment I was waiting for!" But once I actually reached it in the research tree (think of it like in World of Tanks) I realized it costs so much credits that it would take me hundreds of games just to unlock the basic model of the plane.

So it began. I grinded and grinded like there was no tomorrow without missing a day and after some time I just gave up (playing the few missions over and over for 2 months straight can really leave you empty)...about 3 months ago I picked it up again and decided that I am going to finish what I started and get the damn plane.

After another 2 months of playing everyday I finally amassed the necessary credits and unlocked the damn thing (it is shit since it is lvl 1, has no LSWMs until you reach lvl 7 which would take me about 10 times more credits than to just unlock the plane, so probably about 5 years of grinding or so, or spending hundreds of dollars on flight tokens and forced sorties and boosters,etc.).

So now I finally had the plane and something hit me, "what is actually Fenrir?" So I looked it up on google and 3 sites came up, wikipedia, Ace Combat wiki and Smite wiki. I have heard a bit about Smite, I think everybody did, never played it though since I am a huge tryhard platinum in League of Legends so I thought one MOBA was enough and I was never a big fan of false gods (you know, being Christian and all) but I like the Japanese pantheon, especially Amaterasu, such a sweet lady. So I made a commitment, about a year ago, that I would not play Smite unless they added the Japanese pantheon.

So now, in my Fenrir craze again I couldn't get the thought of playing Fenrir in Smite out of my mind, my friends started playing Smite recently so peer pressure had something to do with it too, but when I woke up today in the morning I was like "Damn, I really need to try Fenrir in Smite." So I downloaded Smite and just as I was about to start the game I noticed that the servers are down...so I was like "What a bummer, I finally decide to try the game out and they have a maintenance, oh well."

So I waited for the maintenance to end and then once it was done I started the game and lo and behold they just, ON THIS DAMN DAY (12.1.2016), added a new goddess...Amaterasu. So not only do I get to play as Fenrir, I actually fulfilled my commitment and started playing only after they added the Japanese pantheon! I was so jubilant that I bought the "newcomer pack" or whatever it is called, bought Amaterasu and her skin for the premium currency and spent the whole day playing just her (with my last game today I was able to acquire enough free currency to buy Fenrir so once I wake up tomorrow, technically today, I will get to play him too).

56029917.jpg

And it's all true, I swear! :)

So here I am, a newblood just joining the ranks of the Smite community. Since I also noticed that there are no server/region restrictions I would be happy to play with you guys sometime too!

Cheers and have a nice day everyone.

mcz117chief

The next god to be added to smite is always Fenrir.

"Fenrir was one of the most anticipated and requested gods in Smite and continued to be as a joke in Smite's community, as always being the "next god"."

Oh, I see :D

Forgive me for not being aware of all the memes yet, I have to catch up, mate ;)

edit: I guess it is like Ao Shin in League of Legends :D

Top Bottom