• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

It depends on what you like about Scylla. Not played so often pro because she is a very late game character and having a safe early game is valued more. Probably similar gods for abilities are Vulcan and Agni. If you want late game hyper carry style mages then Chronos and He Bo. High escape and high damage is Janus. He is just ridiculous at this.

So I'm super new to this game still. I played Scylla a bunch yesterday and was destroying lives! Is she decent in mid-high level play? Are there any Gods with a similar play style? The fact that she has a fantastic escape, paired with her dmg seems really good to me.

Her early game clear is kind of poor so you can force her under tower which puts her behind. If you get her to mid/late game though she can be a destructive force. She's not played that much in competitive though.

Nox is very similar, line cc on the 1, large aoe on the 2, escape on the 3, big ult on the 4. However she suffers from a similar poor early game like Scylla but her late game is not as good.

I'd suggest Agni. He has really high burst damage with a nice escape. Although not the best mage there is he is used in high level play (things may change when season 3 hits). He can also stun with his 1 combining with any of his other 3 abilities.

Muddimar

Her early game clear is kind of poor so you can force her under tower which puts her behind. If you get her to mid/late game though she can be a destructive force. She's not played that much in competitive though.

Nox is very similar, line cc on the 1, large aoe on the 2, escape on the 3, big ult on the 4. However she suffers from a similar poor early game like Scylla but her late game is not as good.

I'd suggest Agni. He has really high burst damage with a nice escape. Although not the best mage there is he is used in high level play (things may change when season 3 hits). He can also stun with his 1 combining with any of his other 3 abilities.

I guess the ability to CC, aimable (sp?) escape, and dmg output late game are what I enjoy. I could deal without the CC if it meant more dmg, as long as I still have an escape. I'm just trying to see who I should learn early on, for the mid to high tiers of play. I'll check out Agni and Janus today (hopefully).

edit: Yeah I've found her to be a little weak early on, but the tier of people I'm currently playing with are absolutely terrible. I can usually outplay them until I gain more strength.

I guess the ability to CC, aimable (sp?) escape, and dmg output late game are what I enjoy. I could deal without the CC if it meant more dmg, as long as I still have an escape. I'm just trying to see who I should learn early on, for the mid to high tiers of play. I'll check out Agni and Janus today (hopefully).

edit: Yeah I've found her to be a little weak early on, but the tier of people I'm currently playing with are absolutely terrible. I can usually outplay them until I gain more strength.

Janus is very good, very hard to pin down and great damage. If you do get caught though you are dead.

When season 3 hits there will be some map changes (joust and conquest maps) so after that his ability to portal around may have been diminished, we're not sure yet.

Sol is another possible option. She has high damage and a decent escape. She is not played like Scylla or Agni though as she is an auto attack mage.

As More Fun to Compute said, if you're playing the 5 lane conquest mode then mid lane can have a few other options. Some hunters (the ones he suggested), guardians or even an assassin can work there. You're probably best off sticking with mages for now though until you get a better handle on the other classes.

^ Most likely. Though today is the start of a new Diablo III season, so my time will now be split between Smite and Diablo.

*Edit: Aww, I just got to work.

You forgot the most important thing about Nox: she is easily the most annoying god in the game to play against. She completely ruins combos and escapes with her huge aoe silence, and her ult has way more range than it seems, so you get killed when you're sure you were far enough away. I've lost count of how many times a Nox has fucked me over. Even if she doesn't perform well, she is still a nightmare to play against.

Sorry to Bleeb and Mcz117Kainé for my dcing tonight.

You forgot the most important thing about Nox: she is easily the most annoying god in the game to play against. She completely ruins combos and escapes with her huge aoe silence, and her ult has way more range than it seems, so you get killed when you're sure you were far enough away. I've lost count of how many times a Nox has fucked me over. Even if she doesn't perform well, she is still a nightmare to play against.

True but I've never faced a Nox and been steamrolled by her especially. I don't really see Nox's as a threat just an annoyance. If starting out now I would probably say it would be better to play other mages before moving on to Nox who requires some finesse to run effectively.

That's shame. Wonder who they will get to replace them in the patch notes/dev talk. I did like the way Bart did patch notes.

WTF. That ruined my day. :( Sad to see them go. I was really hoping they'd do streams again. I miss the Hirez streamer days.

At least they're moving on to new and exciting things. Can't be too upset about that.

mcz117chief

Do you guys play any specific music based on which god you play as? I always do that in both Smite and League of Legends. I find a piece of music that represents the character well and then have it on repeat during the match.

For example:

Neith with Harajuku skin = caramelldansen (pretty obvious one honestly)

Fenrir = Alect Squadron from Ace Combat X (you have to read my essay on the previous page to get this one)

Amaterasu = The Sun Rises Okami OST (pretty obvious)

Bellona = Rome Total War Menu Theme (A Roman warrior goddess that shouts "Roma Invictus", what could be more fitting?)

Do you guys do something similar? I always find it a lot of fun looking for the perfect song for each character and even for each skin :)

I would fight two Noxes every single game for the rest of my life if it meant I could delete Ares, Poseidon, Zeus, Kukulkan, and Loki from the game.

So I'm super new to this game still. I played Scylla a bunch yesterday and was destroying lives! Is she decent in mid-high level play? Are there any Gods with a similar play style? The fact that she has a fantastic escape, paired with her dmg seems really good to me.

I love Scylla. Beast.

drotahorror

wow, that is pretty intense. Do you know the context of the video or is it it's own thing?

It's it's own thing. Made specifically for that song. If you enjoy music like that check out more Perturbator or Carpenter Brut (you've already heard both of these artists if you've checked out the Hotline Miami series). Easily my favorite 2 artists from the genre. The genre is 'retrowave'.

I would fight two Noxes every single game for the rest of my life if it meant I could delete Ares, Poseidon, Zeus, Kukulkan, and Loki from the game.

tfw you fight a team with Ares, Kukulkan, and Poseidon or Zeus in Arena

Say goodbye to your health. You bout to die in two seconds of CC.

I'm gonna have to retire Nemesis. I gave her the most honest shot I could give her, five matches with four builds and I could not get her to work for me. People say to build her like a warrior but it just doesn't work for me, she's still squishy as fuck at the cost of also doing no damage and not even really having any utility besides one weak slow. I set up one more build with the usual assassin crit kit, so maybe I'll be able to make something happen with that since I play assassins pretty darn well, but I don't know if my heart can handle another match with her.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm gonna have to retire Nemesis. I gave her the most honest shot I could give her, five matches with four builds and I could not get her to work for me. People say to build her like a warrior but it just doesn't work for me, she's still squishy as fuck at the cost of also doing no damage and not even really having any utility besides one weak slow. I set up one more build with the usual assassin crit kit, so maybe I'll be able to make something happen with that since I play assassins pretty darn well, but I don't know if my heart can handle another match with her.

I'm no way a Nemesis master, but I have fun with her. I like the fact that she feels great at pelting the lane with her Slice and Dice, and I also like doing silly things like walking into AoE damages with shield on, to try to get no-scope kills on those who run away.

Divine Judgement (her Ult) also saps the hell out of an enemies defenses. Taking a tanky, almost-never-die Cabrakan or Herculese to the squishiness of a mage in seconds feels VERY good when it works out right. Considering how useless many other Assassin's feel VS heavy defense types, this helps her feel pretty good at times.

I hate playing her VS teams that have TOO MANY CCs, or 2 other assassin's always on watch for you.

I like playing her when I feel I need to properly learn to become a superior Auto-attacker. Much like playing AMC or Anhur to become a better shooting hunter, rather than just an ability spamming one. I remember being in an Assault once with an Anhur that played like he was the best character in the game, and that really made me want to step my game up.

I set up one more build with the usual assassin crit kit, so maybe I'll be able to make something happen with that since I play assassins pretty darn well, but I don't know if my heart can handle another match with her.

Build ichiaval and qins instead of crit.

Basic strategy is going in and ulting someone who doesn't have some crazy escape skill up. If they just have a dash you can dash after them. If the just have a jump you and can follow them then the same. Ulting tanky targets is better because your ult gives more value. Because your ult is so important cd is valuable.

A basic assassin nem build is ninja tabi, jotunns, mail of renewal, ichi, qins, whatever.

mcz117chief

So thanks to the MotD I was able to test a bunch of gods, specifically Bellona, Sol, Hel and Kali. Bellona and Sol are great, easy to play and fun, Hel has some serious mechanics and the best line I have heard in the game so far! F***ing legendary :D

I really like this mode, I think I am going to play it for the rest of the weekend. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to play, I am always down for some team play and we don't have to play MotD of course.

Hel in assault is infuriating.

1) Because she is crazy powerful in it
2) Because a good Hel is using both aspects, she switches a lot, and that 'I will protect you!' is played OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN ARGHHH

Just has a nice game as Janus in Assault. Had a few really great snipes, one of which was hitting Freya from down the lane right as she fell out of her ult. Made me look like a pro.

Then I got a Soul Reaver proc from across the map. Felt good.

Ravana quadra! Could have had the penta but the first kill went to Hun Batz.

This was my first time playing him his review, he's definitely better. Still wouldn't put him near the top of the warrior pack though.

I feel like rank 10s are always the biggest let downs. Maybe they're cautious from experience or something, but I get so many rank 10s that just stand in the back waiting for some perfect opportunity that never comes.

XenoRaven

Rank 10s have had it beaten into then that you can't count on your team to help you so unless you have an escape, never ever initiate.

patchday

Did Conquest mode once. Took 45 mins but we lost at the end. I noticed we got matched up against a ranked player too (wtf?). It was fun though!

Back to Arena though. will give joust a try

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I generally find myself exclusively playing arena. Does anyone actually play anything else? :p

play mostly conquest on smurf accounts wont touch that with a 50 foot pole on my main the bad mouthing is too much other then that i only play clash now mostly

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Arena and Assault contain SO little of the actual game's interesting content for me (controlling choke points, maneuvering into advantageous areas, etc), that I generally prefer Siege, Joust, and Clash more.

But lately, I've been all Arena and Clash. I love how aggressive Clash is, but in a way that still seems like it has strategy. And people actually like playing tanky classes at times, because tower-rush is very viable.

Top Bottom