• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

XenoRaven

Alright I'm going to start learning what these items actually do. In order to facilitate this, I'm going to post my matches and my builds and then explain the thought process behind what I chose. I would appreciate it if some nice people could check it out and give me tips on what I did right/wrong.

Played an Assault game as Thor. Opponents were Ymir, Kumbha, Chaac, Merc, and Arachne. We didn't have a support on our team, so I wanted to build something with a little tankiness and also some penetration for the other team's tankier targets. I also wanted to avoid CC chains and support my team, so I bought level 3 beads and Salvation fairly early. I think I could get away with this because I got ahead fairly early as well.

Warrior Tabi
Level 2 Beads
Level 2 Meditation
Void Shield
Level 3 Beads
Level 3 Salvation
Started Jotunn's but game was over before I could finish

Alright I'm going to start learning what these items actually do. In order to facilitate this, I'm going to post my matches and my builds and then explain the thought process behind what I chose. I would appreciate it if some nice people could check it out and give me tips on what I did right/wrong.

Played an Assault game as Thor. Opponents were Ymir, Kumbha, Chaac, Merc, and Arachne. We didn't have a support on our team, so I wanted to build something with a little tankiness and also some penetration for the other team's tankier targets. I also wanted to avoid CC chains and support my team, so I bought level 3 beads and Salvation fairly early. I think I could get away with this because I got ahead fairly early as well.

Warrior Tabi
Level 2 Beads
Level 2 Meditation
Void Shield
Level 3 Beads
Level 3 Salvation
Started Jotunn's but game was over before I could finish

The problem with building beads vs that team is that they have so much that forces you to use them that they are not actually that good.Void shield is an odd choice. The main use for it would be to counter a team that is heavy on phys protection in late game since the passive compliments other pen items. Against that team maybe first item could be midgardian if you are worried about defence and escape. It gives you phys protection, health and the slows basic attackers. Then beads 1, med 1. But if you are main tank sov first is a safe pick vs any comp.

XenoRaven

The problem with building beads vs that team is that they have so much that forces you to use them that they are not actually that good.Void shield is an odd choice. The main use for it would be to counter a team that is heavy on phys protection in late game since the passive compliments other pen items. Against that team maybe first item could be midgardian if you are worried about defence and escape. It gives you phys protection, health and the slows basic attackers. Then beads 1, med 1. But if you are main tank sov first is a safe pick vs any comp.
Beads was enough for me to escape a Ymir freeze or a Kumbha yawn without getting followed up. I could teleport out to get away from any attempts to lock me down. At one point I cleansed a yawn and the CC immunity was long enough to protect me from a freeze.

I went Void Shield because I liked the idea of having a bit of protections and then the ability to reduce enemy protections while mixing it up in a big team fight. Like I said, we had no support, so I felt like reducing protections in an area around me would be helpful. I may have bought it too early, or there may have been a better item for what I was looking for.

Beads was enough for me to escape a Ymir freeze or a Kumbha yawn without getting followed up. I could teleport out to get away from any attempts to lock me down. At one point I cleansed a yawn and the CC immunity was long enough to protect me from a freeze.

I went Void Shield because I liked the idea of having a bit of protections and then the ability to reduce enemy protections while mixing it up in a big team fight. Like I said, we had no support, so I felt like reducing protections in an area around me would be helpful. I may have bought it too early, or there may have been a better item for what I was looking for.

The cc immunity on beads is useful but it's more useful for a carry who can stay out of range when beads are down.

If you are support you only think about reducing protections later if at all. Lots of things are helpful but if you are front line the most important things are staying alive and being able to peel.

The main problem with void shield is that it doesn't add health which is essential for being tanky. The damage and phys defence item is runeforged hammer which also has health.

drotahorror

Beads are pretty much great on any character and especially Thor and other assassin's with short cooldowns. -3 seconds off all your CD's can be a life saver. I miss when beads was -5 seconds off cd's.

Speaking of never having a negative K:D, I'm still in shock at how a simple item change skyrocketed my performance with Nu Wa. I'm almost always top damage and I have not gone below 1:1 since I changed to full CDR + Thoth build:

AwoQ3ol.png

This win streak is continued from my previous post, where you can see the change:

I've never been so consistent with a god before. Crazy. And her Nice and Naughty skin + VP is great.

If you need to play support then getting pen is kind of useless, that should be best left to your teammates.

What you want to start off with depends on their comp and your comp.

They have a lot of phys damage so Sov seems like the best way to go. Along with that you should probably grab t3 salv straight out of the base. This will also allow you to tank towers for a little bit early on if needed.

However both Ymir and Khumba are quite high damaging guardians. If your team had a healer like Ra or Hel then I personally would have probably gone heartward. Since you have the healer your health and your team's health should be fine so the passive hp5 from sov isn't such a big deal. The healer may run out of mana though so the passive mp5 from heartward will be very useful for them especially when combined with the chronos pendant they probably bought.
Also heartward give phys protections in an aura to your teammates meaning they can have some protections from the Merc and Arachne. If they had one burst mage (Ah Puch/Zeus) this would definitely be the way to go and personally I would have gone this way too if you had a healer.

After that your best bet is probably spirit robe, gives more protections, including those you didn't get from sov/heartward, and it gives cd which is very useful.

As support you need to be able to peel. For a Thor support this means as many walls as you can get out. The cd will help. (As Thor support you should probably be ranking this up first as it will increase the stun duration).

Boots would be your next item.

Your second active depends on their team, best ones are usually shell or weakening. Weakening if they have a healer, shell if they have a lot of high burst damage.

This is what I would go for when I run a support assassain, warrior is usually similar, support is different (although the items bought straight out of the base would be the same).

XenoRaven

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Speaking of never having a negative K:D, I'm still in shock at how a simple item change skyrocketed my performance with Nu Wa. I'm almost always top damage and I have not gone below 1:1 since I changed to full CDR + Thoth build:

This win streak is continued from my previous post, where you can see the change:

I've never been so consistent with a god before. Crazy. And her Nice and Naughty skin + VP is great.

rod of tahuti and thoth combo is deadly on any mage they are the only damage items you need same for transcendence and jotunns on physicals rest of the items could be anything and youll destroy people

Finally got a penta! I'm too good with AMC.

We don't know yet, most likely just another button. I can't imagine it being that complicated.

Actives on gear is a SWEEET update

Penta on AMC? ooo gz. Still missing my penta. Have numerous quads, and had a Merc penta stolen (accidentally) from me by my mate playing as Khepri, OH THE RAGE.

drotahorror

Lame. If you install Smite on steam (wanted to grab some gems and whatnot) and then uninstall it (i had each install on different hard drives) you have to reinstall smite again for the normal launcher to work.

Penta on AMC? ooo gz. Still missing my penta. Have numerous quads, and had a Merc penta stolen (accidentally) from me by my mate playing as Khepri, OH THE RAGE.

I recently had my first chance at a penta in a long long time. Was playing Xbalanque and I blasted my way to a quadra kill, got their last god down to a sliver of health but then I missed 2 autoattacks and he escaped into their fountain. Felt bad man.

I got a little bit lucky, there was a Ymir at really low health and my bees proc happened at the same time that an Ao Kuang ulted him.

I wasn't expecting Kaiju Sobek to have the voice of a young woman

It's supposed to be a reporter talking about the Kaiju. It's a good idea but I don't feel like they pulled it off very well.

People are suggesting if she talked about the kaiju in the third person rather than the first it would make more sense.

mcz117chief

People are suggesting if she talked about the kaiju in the third person rather than the first it would make more sense.

I thought about it like the reporter is the camera you play and you follow the Kaiju around so you report where you are both going basically. Maybe I am thinking too much about it.

I was having such a good run with Amaterasu when I run into five matches in a row of the most jabroni teammates all going like 2/10. Playing with randoms is suffering.

I was having such a good run with Amaterasu when I run into five matches in a row of the most jabroni teammates all going like 2/10. Playing with randoms is suffering.

Are you US West Coast, East Coast, Euro? Most nights from anywhere between 9pm to 11pm I play a couple Arena/3v3 Joust games with fellow SMGAF member bleeb. Any US player (ideally West Coast) in here is welcome to join us. The only condition is that you have a good attitude. We're casual players who play to relax and have fun. Ain't nobody got time for ragers.

Are you US West Coast, East Coast, Euro? Most nights from anywhere between 9pm to 11pm I play a couple Arena/3v3 Joust games with fellow SMGAF member bleeb. Any US player (ideally West Coast) in here is welcome to join us. The only condition is that you have a good attitude. We're casual players who play to relax and have fun. Ain't nobody got time for ragers.

I play with Tyrant Rave and we're both on East Coast. PM me your username and I'll send you a friend request.

patchday

Been having a blast with this game. Plays so great with a controller. Exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully all my LoL skill will transfer over. Been looking up builds and inputting them into the God builder.

Sometime next week I'll buy the god pack but for now just playing the gods that are on free rotation. Just want to focus on learning a small subset of gods and then broaden out

<edit - btw I am Ryotian ingame. I just been doing Arena so far cause I am a little burned out on Summoner's Rift>

Man I played as Sobek for the first time and got demolished, easily the worst I've (personally) done in a very long time. I tweaked my Xing build for him and ended up with more or less the same stats but for some reason they were just tearing me apart. They weren't even building penetration outside of two of them having Ichaival.

Maybe it was just a bad match with a character I wasn't used to, but hot damn what a travesty.

Indignate

<edit - btw I am Ryotian ingame. I just been doing Arena so far cause I am a little burned out on Summoner's Rift>

I'll drop you a friend thing. I don't even touch Conquest anymore since I kind of detest following this games meta so we can run assault all day.

mcz117chief

Can someone invite me to the GAF guild? I PMed BeekleMatter yesterday but so far no response.

Yeah and ThirtyFour, I still haven't received the friend request from you.

drotahorror

A few GG's with some neogaf crew tonite

Felt really good after a 5 loss streak yesterday. Honestly it was a lot of fun, most I've had on Smite in a while.

I was built like a tank on that Hebo game. Yep, it sucked but it was a decent time.

I was there for your Hun Batz game, but damn son 13-5 on Nemesis the game before that? Teach me your ways, assassin master. I'm lucky if I break even when I play one.

Qis you did great. We brought you up well over your normal MMR and you held your own. GGs I hope we can all play again soon.

Forcing two surrenders in a row felt good. ;)

Muddimar

So I'm super new to this game still. I played Scylla a bunch yesterday and was destroying lives! Is she decent in mid-high level play? Are there any Gods with a similar play style? The fact that she has a fantastic escape, paired with her dmg seems really good to me.

Top Bottom