• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Siege is great. My Merc on Siege is honed to a fine edge.

I like all the modes, play them all. Prefer the lane modes, excluding Assault. Conquest gives the best experience, but is the riskiest.

I really just hate laning. It's boring as hell. I like team fights and that's what Arena/Assault is all about it.

I've only played Clash once, it just felt like too much of a mess to be fun. Here's hoping the new Joust is actually fun.

Never has a game been more addicting, and more infuriating then SMITE. I am now 27 days without playing it. I'm doing well. I met an older game, whom I heard about from various gamers, and was introduced to me via a friend. Its name is Fallout 3. Things are all right, going steady, having fun, and most importantly; I don't feel the need to bludgeon it to death with a broken lawn chair every other 30 seconds like I did with that goddamn rage inducing SMITE.

CeeSaw

Never has a game been more addicting, and more infuriating then SMITE. I am now 27 days without playing it. I'm doing well. I met an older game, whom I heard about from various gamers, and was introduced to me via a friend. Its name is Fallout 3. Things are all right, going steady, having fun, and most importantly; I don't feel the need to bludgeon it to death with a broken lawn chair every other 30 seconds like I did with that goddamn rage inducing SMITE.

That is how I got with LoL. Eventually turned into a stress fest for me every time I played it. Smite seems better in that regard because of the various game modes so you don't always have to play conquest. Just take a break until the new season update and slowly ease yourself in, maybe try to introduce a friend to the game and play some games with no consequence/pressure.

That is how I got with LoL. Eventually turned into a stress fest for me every time I played it. Smite seems better in that regard because of the various game modes so you don't always have to play conquest. Just take a break until the new season update and slowly ease yourself in, maybe try to introduce a friend to the game and play some games with no consequence/pressure.

Now see, it can't work. I tried taking a break from SMITE before, lasted 3 weeks before I really wanted to hear 'You have slain an enemy!' 'RAMPAGE!' again. 3rd game in I was sweating from all the anger. Neighbours complained, girlfriend complained. I complained. I'm an easy going gamer, never played a game that got me so worked up.
No, I'm done with SMITE. you can take your bullshit OP Scylla's and Loki's, your broken Hel's and Ao Kuangs and get off of my Xbox!
Most addictive game I've ever tried. It is quite literally digital heroin for me.

Man yesterday was a rough time for me. Kept getting put on the wrong side of crushing losses. Sorry for those of you who had to play with me, I think MM was punishing me because I had been on a win streak beforehand. ;(

XenoRaven

Matchmaking in this game is cruel. It's like 10 unwinnable games in a row is not even that rare.
Sometimes the game just decides it hates you. It's really odd.

I enjoy laning, but I'm a bit intimidated by Conquest. There's so much to learn and keep track of, and I usually play Smite to relax and enjoy myself. In Arena and Assault, I don't have to try as hard. I'd play Joust but the map encourages camping and is way too snowbally (not a word), and I don't really feel like playing Siege without a team. Hopefully the new Joust changes make that mode a viable option for me again. I think it will be better, but I still have my doubts.

Indignate

I didn't get to play any this weekend with the double FP so I said fuck it and just spent 300 gems to get the Nox announcer pack.

Worth.

Just wanted to pop in and say I played this game for the first time today. I have never had an interest in MOBAs, LoL and DOTA didn't work for me, HotS neither since I am not even a huge Blizzard fan. I tried this, and loved it. Tutorials are great, the Youtube player integration into the game is phenomenal, game is simple yet deep at the same time. The fact that the game is in 3rd person makes me feel like I am in control, instead of just clicking on things. Really, really fun game.

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
Hullo, SmiteGAF!

I've been experimenting with this game on and off for a couple months now. Finally bit the bullet and grabbed me the Ultimate God pack when it dropped to 20 bucks and now I'm having fun just trying out a bunch of different gods. Been really gravitating towards the Mage class. Absolutely loving how this game streamlines the experience yet still puts everything in the player's hands - having auto-buy and making the player aim all skills. Great additions.

Been skittish about playing online, though, especially with the previous experiences I've had with some pretty toxic players. So I've been playing against bots to practice. But I'd love to join up with a good community willing to help a newbie sharpen his teeth.

I play on X1 far more than PC, and most of the community are alright OR you can't hear them cos parties/mute them so it's alright.

I play SMITE with the same guys and we're all fairly decent, so I love the whole range it offers. It's nice to play a MOBA that isn't stressful, in effect. The guys I played DOTA with could get a little het up... let alone the hateful randoms.

mcz117chief

Hullo, SmiteGAF!

I've been experimenting with this game on and off for a couple months now. Finally bit the bullet and grabbed me the Ultimate God pack when it dropped to 20 bucks and now I'm having fun just trying out a bunch of different gods. Been really gravitating towards the Mage class. Absolutely loving how this game streamlines the experience yet still puts everything in the player's hands - having auto-buy and making the player aim all skills. Great additions.

Been skittish about playing online, though, especially with the previous experiences I've had with some pretty toxic players. So I've been playing against bots to practice. But I'd love to join up with a good community willing to help a newbie sharpen his teeth.

Hi, man. We will welcome you with open arms if you decide to join up :)

Yeah, there is a lot of toxic players in the game, just use the mute button and be done with them. I must have reported at least 5 people today.

Hullo, SmiteGAF!

If you're on PC tell me your in-game name and I can invite to the GAF clan if you wish.

patchday

Hullo, SmiteGAF!

So far I've found this community to be pretty awesome. Huh, didnt know god pack was on sale for 20. It's back up to 30 now. that's pretty much a steal. Cant tell you how much money I've probably wasted on champs in LoL.

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, man. We will welcome you with open arms if you decide to join up :)

Yeah, there is a lot of toxic players in the game, just use the mute button and be done with them. I must have reported at least 5 people today.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Joining up sounds pretty good to me.

If you're on PC tell me your in-game name and I can invite to the GAF clan if you wish.

Yeah I'm on PC. The name's LemonStyx!

So far I've found this community to be pretty awesome. Huh, didnt know god pack was on sale for 20. It's back up to 30 now. that's pretty much a steal. Cant tell you how much money I've probably wasted on champs in LoL.

It was back on the 10th, actually. The favor refund was pretty small - I had only purchased Sobek and Kukulkan prior, but the whole game package was too good to pass up. A steal, like you said!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DotA may be free but 20 bucks for everything still blows LoL away.

Been playing off and on since beta and coming back to a bunch of new gods to play has always been awesome

XenoRaven

Really happy to see some new people. I never thought I'd be so into a MOBA but I realize why they're so popular now. I still don't think I could get into Dota or LoL due to the control scheme, but Smite has definitely shown me the appeal of the genre.

In other news, Korea has been dropped as a sub from Envy. I really enjoy his stream so this makes me sad.

patchday

Played the 3v3 Joust earlier. That was a blast! Loving this game so much... :)

Also played a game with some fellow gafs! Was fun! :)

Yeah I been keeping my eye on this thread for quite awhile but finally decided to give it a whirl. The control scheme helped win me over too. I get tired of playing with mouse & keyboard.

I was watching some youtube where this guy rated top 10 mobas. He rated Smite above all the rest due to control scheme, 100% skillshots, great monetization, etc. Was a no brainer to at least put down LoL/HoTS for a bit and try this one

mcz117chief

She's also hot.

/smirk

r73VJe3.gif

patchday

Yeah Sol was a blast to play. I'll be getting god pack in a few days. But for now just having fun with the free god rotation and mastering the small library of gods I have access to. Because once I have access to the full library I fear I might spread myself a bit too thin and not be as well rounded.

For example, since I can only play like 14 gods atm I spend time playing champs that might not appeal too me concept-wise (like Ymir)

Once I unlock all the gods I'll probably stick to my favorite concept dudes sure- but at least I'll have a broader range of gods (at least all the ones unlocked for me as a new player)

Oh btw, also like the Mastery system here. Like HoTS, it appears to award you no matter the gametype you play. I never could stand how LoL only rewards players for playing Summoner's Rift even though they got other modes (granted, drastically less popular then traditional rift)

Some big roster changes for Envy. They drop Korea as a sub and move Incon to sub/coach. Even though they get Omega as solo it still doesn't sound like a good idea since Incon is one of the best supports around.

Then Incon puts up a video on his youtube about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyuLiLYjGYw) and apparently the rest of the Envy players didn't like it so he has now left Envy entirely and is a free agent: https://twitter.com/Incon_FreeAgent/status/689452685305614341

There is a bunch of good free agents out there now: Incon, Lassiz. Snoopy, Divios and Adjust to name a few.

Could easily make a dream team out of them especially since I believe Lassiz owns one teams lot for the spl.

patchday

Quick question: I noticed now I'm getting grouped with a lot of people that have "Smite Season 2 Pro" champion and getting much more competition in Arenas. Previously, you could tell it was a bunch of casuals and f2p-users using free gods. But now, starting to see people using gods out of the free rotation left & right

But my question--- What does that mean when it says "Season Pro" champion? Do you get that ticker by just participating in ranked matches or do you have to reach top rank?

Need to read up on how ranking works here.

Some big roster changes for Envy. They drop Korea as a sub and move Incon to sub/coach. Even though they get Omega as solo it still doesn't sound like a good idea since Incon is one of the best supports around.

Then Incon puts up a video on his youtube about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyuLiLYjGYw) and apparently the rest of the Envy players didn't like it so he has now left Envy entirely and is a free agent: https://twitter.com/Incon_FreeAgent/status/689452685305614341

There is a bunch of good free agents out there now: Incon, Lassiz. Snoopy, Divios and Adjust to name a few.

Could easily make a dream team out of them especially since I believe Lassiz owns one teams lot for the spl.

I've always watched pro Smite players on Twitch and popular streamers (that helped get me into the game). Need to learn the indiividual pro players now. I just know the brands & teams

Quick question: I noticed now I'm getting grouped with a lot of people that have "Smite Season 2 Pro" champion and getting much more competition in Arenas. Previously, you could tell it was a bunch of casuals and f2p-users using free gods. But now, starting to see people using gods out of the free rotation left & right

But my question--- What does that mean when it says "Season Pro" champion? Do you get that ticker by just participating in ranked matches or do you have to reach top rank?

Need to read up on how ranking works here.

I'm assuming you're talking about the spl frame. You can just buy that, you then earned fantasy points for winning games (and picking spl games), get enough fp and you get free things like announcer packs and skins. It is not an indication of their skill.

The icons people use can be. There are specific icons for conquest and joust ranked which are further broken down into which particular rank you are. For example I am gold 3 in 1v1 so I have access to the Gold joust icon (I don't use it though).

If you are not lv30 it is unlikely you will face many lv30 players (at least not until you hit the high 20s). Since you cannot do ranked until lv30 you won't face any ranked players.

If even you are facing players who play ranked some could be in bronze (lowest tier) so you may be better than them anyway.

I've always watched pro Smite players on Twitch and popular streamers (that helped get me into the game). Need to learn the individual pro players now. I just know the brands & teams

Incon is a great person to watch for any information and general smite entertainment. If you're unsure who he is, he is the guy with tourettes.

If you just watch the games on smitegame when the season starts again they will mention some player names a lot because it's their job to make the players recognisable and marketable. Not many of the players seem to have that much chemistry or loyalty so rosters change a hell of a lot. The best ones to support and care about are actually the ones that stream. They put themselves forward so you know they are not just douches who are being hyped by casters because it's their job. Or maybe they are dicks but you like them anyway.

You don't just kick Incon.

Cyclone's my boy, but I hope this new Xbox developed team gets smashed on in the PC scene.

Since the tank/warrior meta hit the solo lane Cyclone dropped down the rankings in terms of solo lane players.

He will be playing adc in the new team setup. I didn't see muchc of his adc play on xbox but people have been saying it wasn't great.

Cyclone was saying in a tweet they were dropping Incon because his level of play wasn't up to scratch which is funny coming from him.

XenoRaven

I'm pretty disconnected from the esports scene, so my opinion isn't worth jack, but I'm going to give it anyway.

I find it a bit weird that it seems like all it takes is one bad tourney for a team to kick a player. Like you spend all this time with the same people practicing, building camaraderie, getting familiar with each other, and then you don't win a tourney and you blow it up. Maybe that really is the best way to win, but it leaves me scratching my head. Maybe I'm placing too much stock in developing as a team, and the parts are really just interchangeable, but man does that seem counter-intuitive to me.

I think that it's a problem for all mobas. All that BM in regular games where people rant about how people are letting the team down goes all the way to the pro scene. It just sort of stews around until people just don't have enough trust or respect to play with each other.

One of the constants in the pro scene is C9. They have had the same players for a while only recently having to get a new solo laner (they were all together when they were cog red as well).

Constant mix-ups rarely work. It happens though even in sports, coaches are often replaced after only one or two bad years and it rarely leads to any good.

New patch on X1, new achieves.

Hi-Rez make weird achieves, in the sense of balancing them relative to one another. Penta kill? Hard, but makes sense. Hit a god with all 8 shots of Sol's ult? Eeesh. Wha?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
New patch on X1, new achieves.

Hi-Rez make weird achieves, in the sense of balancing them relative to one another. Penta kill? Hard, but makes sense. Hit a god with all 8 shots of Sol's ult? Eeesh. Wha?

Have ares pull someone in then have someone stun.... idk yeah its pretty near impossible.

drotahorror

VVGT About Incon. I felt like he was the glue for their team.

I liked his video and thought it was fairly professional. Too bad he got booted for it.

On the upside he's DESTROYING the smite twitch community RIGHT NOW with the spam subs and donations. Good for him, he's a good dude.

These both sound relativity ez compared to the somewhat luck factor of getting a penta. Sol one is probably harder on console, but I don't see how the ares one is hard at all unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Penta harder no doubt, but it is part of the game. Hitting all 8 shots on Sol's ult is basically a waste of time. Feels artificial to go for, I mean.

mcz117chief

I haven't gotten a penta yet but just got an effortless quadra. I was playing Ah Puch in assault for the first time (I think he is in rotation) and when the enemy team was doing in our titan I just used ult and corpse explosion and did a quadra, if only the 5th guy were there I would get a penta.

Top Bottom