• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

I'm not complaining but it looks like they're using the same quests they currently have for the 2 weekly's too? So like, just play 4-5 games with certain criteria and you get 30 gems? Seems the weekly's won't require much time at all. Which is fine.

It would be perfectly fine if they added an extra game you had to play to each quest.

I don't feel like that would be too much.

Indignate

People never get mad at the matchmaking when the win a lot in a row.

templar-shifty.gif

Spear of Desolation is really strong on some mages. Chang'e with it straight nukes people's healthbars. Think I killed an Artemis from life to death just doing 1, 3, 1.

Indignate

If you do, you either have a premade on your side or your individual players are higher skilled than the enemy premade.

Granted, that usually doesn't make up for the increased coordination, but it's how the matchmaking tries to balance things if that happens. I wouldn't exactly call it shit just because you happen to be losing more often than not recently; it has it bad moments, and it has it's good moments.

People never get mad at the matchmaking when the win a lot in a row.

templar-shifty.gif

until you win too much and match making goes nope we cant have that and it puts you with people who are hard to believe can even breath let alone play a game vs a premade mlg no scope team

Lol yep. When I go on a big win streak I start to get really nervous, because I know the MM gods are going to smite me down soon. I remember in my last loss streak, I got matched with teammates that I could have sworn had just started playing that day.

drotahorror

Arachne so good this season, I'm happy too.

^Not a fluke, I've done maybe 5 jousts and 3 KD+ every time on Arachne. Although I did lose 1 where it was arachne/pos/amc. 3 people with basically no escapes and the other team had a hades/odin/agni. Not sure why AMC went AMC after seeing arachne and pos locked.

Maybe Arachne isn't strong in 5 mans, but 3v3 she's pretty great. There's got to be a reason pros aren't using her, maybe other junglers are just better.

There's got to be a reason pros aren't using her, maybe other junglers are just better.

CC is king right now. The top junglers have hard CC. Merc, Kali, Fenrir, Thor, Hun Batz can all stop you for easily confirmed damage.

While they made Arachne's slow it's probably not a beads burner like Thor's 2 even if it does make her so hard to get away from.

drotahorror

Qin's is great right now on Arachne. It's cheaper and has 10 more power than last season.

Not a great jungler but if someone could make her work in solo lane she would be top tier. It's not like you really build her like an assassin anyway. I just don't know how to play her in solo at all. It used to be a thing before warriors took over. It's just the laning that I'm afraid she can't compete in. But I don't think any solo laner can box her. Yesterday I would be literally at 15% life with a 20% or so mana, enough to use all my abilities. And 1v1 a hunter from full HP. Amaterasu (sp) is even a joke 1v1 against arachne.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I haven't played in over half a year or so and I'm still struggling to shake off the rust. I should probably make an alt so I can not get matched up with higher level players until I feel I'm back on my feet.

Season 3 patch seems pretty cool thus far though, even if some of the new items / item changes are a little underwhelming.

So I've been playing Fenrir a lot in arena but I'm struggling lategame. He seems to fall off quite a lot. Overall my stats are good (around 10-6) but most of the kills are front loaded so after the halfway point I'm going 2-6. Is there any way to stop this fall off or do I have to change my playstyle late?

My build is power boots, Jotuns, mail of renewal, titan's bane, armoured cloak, frostbound

Generic build this season is jotunns and bp of valour not mail of renewal. Don't really like playing fenrir but maybe you could build lifesteal for late game or something. Late game now everything just blows you up especially if they have some ridiculous character like sol so I guess skill or build doesn't mean as much as needing luck to do better than 1 for 1.

drotahorror

So I've been playing Fenrir a lot in arena but I'm struggling lategame. He seems to fall off quite a lot. Overall my stats are good (around 10-6) but most of the kills are front loaded so after the halfway point I'm going 2-6. Is there any way to stop this fall off or do I have to change my playstyle late?

My build is power boots, Jotuns, mail of renewal, titan's bane, armoured cloak, frostbound

Pretty much why I don't like playing Fen anymore. I do well early and suck or do nothing late. boots > jotuhns > BP of Valor/Mantle of Discord/Spirit Robe/ (these are all kind of situational so go with one you think is best) > Defense item or Pen Item > Defense item or Pen Item > Defense item or Pen Item. Bulwark of Hope is pretty necessary since it's broken(OP) right now.

I wouldn't go lifesteal unless you are more damage than tank. The lifesteal will be so minuscule that you're better off just using your 2 anyway and not wasting item slot for it.

Late game Fenrir just harasses imo. He does okay damage but he's there to stun, harass, and ult people.

gogosox82

Been playing Amaterasu lately and she is a ton of fun. Think I might have finally found a warrior I like playing other than Sun Wu Kong. I've been building her with boots, midgardain mail, jotuns, frostbound, spirit robe, and either executioner or qins. Damage doesn't seem too great with this build though. Was thinking of building spirit robe eariler and skipping midgardain and building another attack speed item like executioner or ichival but this might make her too squishy. What do you guys think?

Been playing Amaterasu lately and she is a ton of fun. Think I might have finally found a warrior I like playing other than Sun Wu Kong. I've been building her with boots, midgardain mail, jotuns, frostbound, spirit robe, and either executioner or qins. Damage doesn't seem too great with this build though. Was thinking of building spirit robe eariler and skipping midgardain and building another attack speed item like executioner or ichival but this might make her too squishy. What do you guys think?

I'd drop the midguardian and jotuns. For your cd I'd go with breastplate of valour, that will give you the phys def that you lost by dropping midguardian and also give you the cd that jotuns gave you. Midguardian isn't great now since most phys def items were nerfed.

The spirit robe is fine however you may wish to swap it out with cloak of unrelenting sorrow. You will still get the cd and the protections but the passive on this thing is very good. It is a lot more expensive though so if you're behind it may be better to stick to spirit robe.

The best def item in the game right now is bulwark of hope. It's passive is op right now, getting that in your build will make you a lot more tanker just because of the way the shield works.

An Ichival would be good for a more dmg based route but personally I feel like Ama is there to be a second tank with the ability to keep up and stun opponents.

Shield of regrowth is another possibility. You probably won't see this item often but it could replace your frostbound. The passive on this means that if you pop your 1 into the movespeed buff the heal from your one will also proc that passive on shield giving you even more movement speed.
Gods without a getaway skill or who's getaway skill is on cd will not be able to get away.
This item also comes with cd so you'll have to careful not to overcap (i don't know the numbers off the top of my head). Thinking about it it could be a decent alternative to breastplate of valour.

I think the top defensive cd options right now for warriors are
#1 Mantle of Discord
#2 BP of Valor
#3 Ancille

Unstacked hide of the urchin is better value defence than most defence items. Stacked it is better than bulwark. Most other pure magic defence item that are not bulwark of hope are trash and not worth using because they are not bulwark. Exceptions are pestilence and ancile which have some advantages.

Best value pure physical defence is sovereignty. It's not as good as bulwark but it has almost zero alternative picks other than BP of valor.

Frostbound, Winged Blade and Magi's are all very good value health items if you need the passive. Otherwise Stone of Gaia is a good pickup if you need sustain and more health. You definitely need more heath if you are building items like Mante of Discord and BP of valor.

Shifters Shield is just about the most useless overpriced item in the game.

For warriors with good attack chains like amaterasu, but not wukong, a good offensive item is Qins Sais. This item will up your attack power like other power items but it doesn't rely on having a ton of other other attack items to be effective in late game. For wukong you need a pen item like titan's bane.

gogosox82

I'd drop the midguardian and jotuns. For your cd I'd go with breastplate of valour, that will give you the phys def that you lost by dropping midguardian and also give you the cd that jotuns gave you. Midguardian isn't great now since most phys def items were nerfed.

The spirit robe is fine however you may wish to swap it out with cloak of unrelenting sorrow. You will still get the cd and the protections but the passive on this thing is very good. It is a lot more expensive though so if you're behind it may be better to stick to spirit robe.

The best def item in the game right now is bulwark of hope. It's passive is op right now, getting that in your build will make you a lot more tanker just because of the way the shield works.

An Ichival would be good for a more dmg based route but personally I feel like Ama is there to be a second tank with the ability to keep up and stun opponents.

Shield of regrowth is another possibility. You probably won't see this item often but it could replace your frostbound. The passive on this means that if you pop your 1 into the movespeed buff the heal from your one will also proc that passive on shield giving you even more movement speed.
Gods without a getaway skill or who's getaway skill is on cd will not be able to get away.
This item also comes with cd so you'll have to careful not to overcap (i don't know the numbers off the top of my head). Thinking about it it could be a decent alternative to breastplate of valour.

#1 Mantle of Discord
#2 BP of Valor
#3 Ancille

Unstacked hide of the urchin is better value defence than most defence items. Stacked it is better than bulwark. Most other pure magic defence item that are not bulwark of hope are trash and not worth using because they are not bulwark. Exceptions are pestilence and ancile which have some advantages.

Best value pure physical defence is sovereignty. It's not as good as bulwark but it has almost zero alternative picks other than BP of valor.

Frostbound, Winged Blade and Magi's are all very good value health items if you need the passive. Otherwise Stone of Gaia is a good pickup if you need sustain and more health. You definitely need more heath if you are building items like Mante of Discord and BP of valor.

For warriors with good attack chains like amaterasu, but not wukong, a good offensive item is Qins Sais. This item will up your attack power like other power items but it doesn't rely on having a ton of other other attack items to be effective in late game. For wukong you need a pen item like titan's bane.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll try to work in bulwark and BOP. I just kinda feel like I'm not tanky enough but I don't want to be a full on tank with her. I want to deal some damage and I feel that I can if I'm tanky enough.

patchday

#1 Mantle of Discord
#2 BP of Valor
#3 Ancille

huh good info

If anyone is finding this useful here is some data that can help you decide if you need more armour or more health in your build.

Untitled_2.png

Armour multiplies the effectiveness of health. The benefit of health always stacks but armour gets less cost effective. You need to stay in the 50% damage reduction range to stay even with a crit build. Say you wouldn't even really feel tanky with 200 phys defence in late game against a regular old fashioned crit hunter build.

Decided to play some morning Assault. First game I got Ah Puch with a really good team. Second game I got my #1, Vulcan. Went 13-1 and my death was a tower death.

I don't even know if I want to queue again. Don't want to push my luck. lol

EDIT: Kept queuing. 5 straight matches of my best gods so far. Wow. I guess Hirez finally decided to stop shitting on my RNG.

Patch notes in just under 2 hours.

Raijin will be shown off.

Demon and Ebon soul Serqet are getting new card art and Aphro is getting her mastery skins/cards updated:

TtWw8uh.png

I wish they'd stop with the comeback mechanic in arena where if you're in the lead you get hit with these ridiculous respawns. Just lost a match to three diamonds because they'd snag a triple while we were in the lead and get a shitload of minions in while we were all stuck with these 45 second respawns. Then we'd gain a sizable lead again and the same thing would happen, just sit their for a million years and watch the minions flow in, but when they die they're back in the blink of an eye.

I guess otherwise it would be too hard to come back, but hot damn it's annoying to outplay a team an entire game just to lose to a handful of plays.
5/13 Kali repeatedly running in didn't help either, but still

Yeah the Arena respawns can be excessive. I've been on the wrong end of some huge score swings because we got wiped and then had 30-45 second respawns.

EDIT: Norse sale and 90 gems to be earned this weekend: http://www.smitegame.com/happy-valisblot-feb-12-14/

Given Raijin a few trys in bot games on the PTS and he is a lot of fun.

I feel like you need to build cd and a little bit of lifesteal on him so I've been going cd boots, chronos, pythags before getting some pen and damage online.

He is bursty without his ult but his ult puts his burst on another level. If you get ahead it can take two thirds of a squishies health. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the damage on that. His other abilities don't really need to be touched imo.

I'm not a big mage player but he feels better to me than a lot of other mages so he could easily be the first mage I take to mastery 10 (highest currently is Poseidon at 4).

Also his loss screen is a reference to the film Whiplash which I love. I showed a friend (who doesn't play) Smite a clip of the screen and he loved it too. That makes him one of my favourite mages right there!

In other topics people can get really salty in hyper joust. I won a Thor vs Khumba and the guy pmed me 3 times during the game, one message in the lobby after and then 12 other pms about how I was a pussy. He may have sent more but I dnd-ed at one point just to stop them. I find it hard to believe you can care that much about the motd, the stats aren't even recorded.

Haven't played Thanatos in months and I came back and got 12 kills in my first match back with him. So much fun.

Doing really well with Neith too. Odysseus' Bow on her is great.

XenoRaven

Haven't played Thanatos in months and I came back and got 12 kills in my first match back with him. So much fun.

Doing really well with Neith too. Odysseus' Bow on her is great.
Ever since I stopped using builds I looked up online I have a terrible time figuring out what to buy with Neith. I love Attack Speed, but I also love CDR on Neith, and Crit is always fun too. So usually I just try to pick one to emphasize and then spend the rest of the game doubting my choices.

In other news, here is the story of my life in Smite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av_jt8f7QLA
http://www.twitch.tv/xenoraven/v/43878254 (Slightly better quality)

I try not to BM, but man did this blow a blood vessel in my brain.

drotahorror

^Fun game. The Bastet rage quit when we killed the FG.

A bit of background to why our Aphro DC'd at level 6. Me and Vulcan went red, Aphro spammed that we get her blue because she 'eats mana'.

I said, "come red, we'll get blue after".
"I eat mana though," said the Aphro.

So me and Vulcan try to contest the red, and we failed and died. Aphro comes along with the 'VER" etc. She also refused to heal me or Vulcan from this point on.

A few minutes later, Red and Blue are both up. Me and Vulcan go for blue, Aphro goes for red and gets killed trying to contest. The Aphro is pissed and asked why we didn't come help her with red. My Vulcan said "I eat mana". Aphro said goodluck and rage quit.

Luckily I picked Odin into a herc and hel. Pretty easy 2v3 honestly.

Weeklies are now reset.

And looks like it's 5 wins of the day for the bonus 30 gems this weekend. bummer.

Top Bottom