• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Damn it, Smite.

Vulcan buff is live. I queue for Assault, get Vulcan from RNG. Game starts. Crash. Crash. Crash. Crash.

Apparently game is borked? Had no issues before the patch. Way to lock me out of my favorite god. :(

EDIT: Validating on Steam fixed it.

Navid

300 friends on my PSN and only 5 of them play Smite? What a terrible attach rate for a free to play.
I've seen you on a few times but unfortunately due to the nature of match length it makes it more tricky to just join someone compared to other MP games with much lower average match times... Also don't think free to play plays as big a role as one would expect for most when their limiting factor is time rather than money...

I love how this Odin that I just played was like "This Agni keeps hitting me with 500 damage aoe bombs. Should I get some magic defense? Nah, I'll get some more damage that I don't need and keep getting blown up every time I jump in."
As someone who has a default purchase order and simply sticks auto buy on I can definitely understand the appeal of being able to quickly enter the base and leave without having to worry about manually buying items, though I also see how that can be something that will baffle more advance player who adapt their items on the fly to match their opponent on a individual match basis.

While I'm here does anyone have any good tips on how to deal with Ah Puch with a non-defencive character, he seems to have such a crazy area of damage range ability (the running zombies seem to create explosions that cascade further than the usual circular area most gods have) that when I was in a 1v1 lane with him in a match yesterday (playing Agni) the best I could do was to just clear minions and somewhat hold him at bay with my bombs as warning shots!

Picked this up on PS4. Never been able to get into Mobas (other than playing dota in WC3 with friends years ago) for for $15 for the founders pack i figured i could easy get my moneys worth. Hopefully this will click.

I did play briefly on PC when it launched, and the Xbox One beta so i have a small amount of experience in the game.

Would really be awesome to have a split screen option for this, even if it was just vs. AI.

If any new players on PS4 are looking for someone to play with, feel free to add me. PSN: jacob_armitage. I do suck however.

patchday

I guess they havent allowed PC players to transfer to PS4 yet. I would definitely be all for playing on ps4 if I don't lose my progress

While I'm here does anyone have any good tips on how to deal with Ah Puch with a non-defencive character, he seems to have such a crazy area of damage range ability (the running zombies seem to create explosions that cascade further than the usual circular area most gods have) that when I was in a 1v1 lane with him in a match yesterday (playing Agni) the best I could do was to just clear minions and somewhat hold him at bay with my bombs as warning shots!

As you say Ah Puch can pump out a lot of damage from very far away. You need to get up to him to confirm your damage as he is very squishy and most Ah Puchs will run once you get into their face.

CC helps a lot with this. Agni does have a pretty easy stun to hit from range with his ult/1 combo. This will help you to then walk up to him and hit him with your 2. If you have your passive stacked at this point you can then use your 3 away from him but making sure to hit him to get that dot damage on him as well. The stun will also make sure you can confirm your other ults if have them.

At the very least this will scare him off if not out right kill him. If you have any help at any point during this he should be dead.

I've seen you on a few times but unfortunately due to the nature of match length it makes it more tricky to just join someone compared to other MP games with much lower average match times... Also don't think free to play plays as big a role as one would expect for most when their limiting factor is time rather than money...

That's true, but at the same time I don't feel like they launched this game very well on PS4.

• It just appeared on the store, without pre-release trailers or anything being distributed
  • There were no videos about it on the official playstation youtube channels, until it released, no character trailers
  • The refer a friend feature does not 'refer' anyone, it just sends them an invitation to play the game. So when I refer people they just send me a message that says 'I don't have that game' what is it?'

This game will be dead on consoles, and Paragon and Overwatch will not. Even Battleborne will be more popular because it plagues social media and popular blogs with character reveals and other nonsense.

Seems like Hi Rez just took a 'put it out and they'll play it' approach. Unfortunately, as console gamers do not have experience with this genre, they really needed to work for our attention.

I've made a community for this game on PS4 (assuming we don't already have one). If you play Smite on PS4, you can search for the 'NeoGAF: Smite' community. You can also find it as one of the communities listed on my profile (PSN: Chronospherics).

Navid

Just had a Conquest match where I was on the right lane as Agni against a Tyr player, was completely outmatched during the entire game but thankfully he seemed to be happy to stay in the same lane as me so I figured if I can keep being a nuisance and keep him occupied for as long as possible the better as the rest of my team were winning their respective lanes slowly but surely...

First time I've ever felt so defenceless against another player in this game, every time we clashed it was pretty much certain death for me as I could barely scratch him, in the end I went 1 kill & 11 deaths, but kept him away from our phoenix for the whole game and our team won in the end by breaking through the middle.

Was a weird experience, (I'm sure my team-mates must have looked at the score screen and thought I was being useless) but I really enjoyed it and in a roundabout way felt like I did my bit. :D

I guess they havent allowed PC players to transfer to PS4 yet. I would definitely be all for playing on ps4 if I don't lose my progress

I think I messed up; I'm new to Smite and bought the PS4 founder's pack thinking it would transfer to PC when they allowed linking accounts, but it seems at most it will be the opposite. Meaning I should have got the PC all gods pack instead.

The game is ridiculously fun and content rich, so I wouldn't even have minded buying both at half price last week, but I realized this just now, when the price has gone back to normal. I guess I'll wait for another sale and get the PC pack for both me and the missus, we're both addicted. :)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I think I messed up; I'm new to Smite and bought the PS4 founder's pack thinking it would transfer to PC when they allowed linking accounts, but it seems at most it will be the opposite. Meaning I should have got the PC all gods pack instead.

The game is ridiculously fun and content rich, so I wouldn't even have minded buying both at half price last week, but I realized this just now, when the price has gone back to normal. I guess I'll wait for another sale and get the PC pack for both me and the missus, we're both addicted. :)

they put the pack on sale quite frequently so you shouldnt have to wait long

To repay me for my pain over the weekend, I had 2 great Arena matches last night. Not only did I win but they were both competitive games with no ragers. I played against a Ne Zha who kept spamming VEL, so whenever he missed his sash I would spam it back. I don't know why but it was so goddamn funny. Especially when he was chasing me down and I could hear his laugh spam behind me.

I'm currently on a 10 win streak in Conquest on PS4. At this rate I feel like a god.

Hehe, if my experience is anything to go by, you're gonna pay for that later. 10 loss streak incoming. ;)

wow almost forgot about the voice pack sale. Logged on and snagged a few

Spent all 400 of my gems on VPs yesterday. Got Cupid, Raijin, Sol, and Ratatatatatatatatatoskr's. It was a good day. Rat has one of the funniest VPs in the game.

gogosox82

As someone who has a default purchase order and simply sticks auto buy on I can definitely understand the appeal of being able to quickly enter the base and leave without having to worry about manually buying items, though I also see how that can be something that will baffle more advance player who adapt their items on the fly to match their opponent on a individual match basis.

CC him or call for gank. He's quite squishy. If your playing Agni, put down your one and then your ult if you have it for the stun. Then you can run up and hit your 2. If he isn't dead by then, he'll at least run away because he usually can't fight you one on one.

Been beasting Scylla recently.

I got her to Diamond ages ago, and picked her up again after the S3 patch on Xbox. First game back was 24/4/15 on Conquest. Monstrous power: Pen boots, chronos, doom orb [forgot to replace with Thoth, meh, was rolling so all good] Spear of Deso, Tahuti, Obsidian Shard.

Dat ult feels soooo good. Went beast-mode in Assault last night with her too.

patchday

Spent all 400 of my gems on VPs yesterday. Got Cupid, Raijin, Sol, and Ratatatatatatatatatoskr's. It was a good day. Rat has one of the funniest VPs in the game.

Awesome! I grabbed 400 gems worth too. Agni, Awilix, that japanese goddess, and 1 other. basically if your name started with an 'A' you were a priority cause I see those names first lol

So because my best friend picked it up and because SOMEBODY hasn't made the Dota thread I'm gonna give Smite a try.

What resources apart from the wiki/Smitefire are there to learn the gods and how to play or build them?

gogosox82

So because my best friend picked it up and because SOMEBODY hasn't made the Dota thread I'm gonna give Smite a try.

What resources apart from the wiki/Smitefire are there to learn the gods and how to play or build them?

Don't use the wiki/Smitefire. Try smitejunkies, tiermonster, or smiteguru instead.

patchday

Is the gods pack still on sale for $15? I'd highly recommend this game and getting the all-gods pack. From there, just hop in Arena and learn all yer gods.

I might not even play Conquest much because LoL kinda already burned me out on traditional moba maps. That's why Smite is so great- you can get huge variety of game modes.

Dota 2 reborn has a lot of gamemodes too but they come in the form of mods. However, Smite can be played with a controller and is much more casual friendly (I've played a bit of every major moba at this point)

patchday

Just bought Athena skin (the new scifi cop bundle). My wallet has been sealed tight (in regards to skins) but I already love Athena. Such a great concept.

That new Amaretsu skin looks the business too but not enough gems atm

The Smite April's Fools patch notes are a thing of beauty:
http://www.smitegame.com/new-in-smite-patch-3-5-5/

They went the extra mile to make a new video, but the patch notes have some priceless tidbits too, especially if you like mythology:

I also liked these:
Ymir
General

All voice lines and sound effects are now replaced with his VVGH. Hi!

Ah Puch
Empty The Crypts

This ability can now only be used once, as after the first use the crypts will be empty.

It's all about that Wukong buff:

• Reworked 72 Transformations to have 72 transformations. Players can now select which transformation they want by moving their camera to one of the 72 new positions on this skills targeter. Some examples are :
    • Fish : Flops around, dealing 60/120/180/240/300 (+50% Physical Power) splash damage over three flops.
    • Koala : Climbs up onto any nearby tree and heal for 3/4/5/6/7% of his Maximum Health every second for 4 seconds. Only works on maps with Trees.
    • Giraffe : Sun Wukong becomes a Giraffe for 5 seconds. His extended neck allows him to see over walls.

The giraffe one is the best.

If someone goes 0/15, would you report him for intentionally feeding?

Based off just that scoreline? No. It doesn't tell you much.

Intentional feeding is running into the enemy and letting them kill you, not even trying to fight back.

Intentional feeding is kind of rare, it's much more likely that the person is either having a bad day, is on a God they don't know well or are just a bad player (not trying to be bad though).

If someone goes 0/15, there's a pretty high chance they don't even know what feeding is, but watching their behaviour should provide a better clue as to whether they're griefing or simply new/unskilled players that haven't grasped why you shouldn't basically roleplay Leeroy Jenkins.

On those patch notes, I found a few that I wouldn't mind seeing implemented in the game. The Sun Wukong one mentioned above would be hilarious (though good luck using it correctly in the heat of battle), but the one about Amaterasu's mirror reflecting Medusa's gaze is so utterly mythology-nerdgasmic I can't help but want it, game balance be damned.

No. I think I've reported less than 5 people for actual intentional feeding. It's quite rare (at least in Arena), and obvious because it's almost always accompanied by flaming. Most of the time it's just someone having an awful game. I've had some terrible games in the past so I try not to judge.

XenoRaven

I've only seen intentional feeding a few times and it's always been on the other team in an Arena game after the lead was basically insurmountable. People will go around the outside of the arena and walk directly into the enemy tower or fountain over and over and all you have to do is hit them once to get credit for the kill as opposed to getting no points for it.

Ironically, not 10 minutes ago someone went 0/16 on my team... on Arena against Easy CPU (don't judge me, I lost 5 VS matches in a row and I wanted to relax). It's certainly much more palatable when you can't lose anyway...

Only time I report someone for feeding is when they do it because they're upset with something. Happens A LOT in assault. Had a guy the other day that was mad we rerolled a couple assassins he wanted to play, so he said we sucked and started diving into the other team constantly.

Navid

Think I've found something that I dislike about this game, team-mates who sarcastically spam 'You Rock' over and over whenever someone on their team makes any kind of mistake...

Just got the Retrocles skin for Hercules on the PS4.

What was the criteria for that?

Last August on PC if you won 10 matches during the month you were given the Herc skin and his voice pack. That thing is still live on consoles, it is often asked about on the reddit. I'm not sure if it's still tied to ten wins though or if there is another criteria.

Think I've found something that I dislike about this game, team-mates who sarcastically spam 'You Rock' over and over whenever someone on their team makes any kind of mistake...

Mute is your friend in that instance.

Navid

Mute is your friend in that instance.
Ah, thought mute only turned off the players microphone, had no idea that is turned off the pre-defined text messages as well... thanks.

I don't have a issue with players providing constructive criticism or even directing others on occasion, but unfortunately that happens on rarely while the 'You Rock' spam seems to be a easy way for some to assign blame and I find it almost has an adverse affect on the team performance.

Ah, thought mute only turned off the players microphone, had no idea that is turned off the pre-defined text messages as well... thanks.

I don't have a issue with players providing constructive criticism or even directing others on occasion, but unfortunately that happens on rarely while the 'You Rock' spam seems to be a easy way for some to assign blame and I find it almost has an adverse affect on the team performance.

Mute also works if one of the enemy team is spamming laugh or taunt. It will make it so you can't hear them.

No "almost" about it, player blaming immediately makes the experience worse for everyone.

Since I'm just starting and therefore not yet being paired with people taking the game ultra-seriousy, I have fortunately not have had many incidents of that kind yet. I myself sometimes get upset when I mess up (which is often, as I'm just starting), but when I'm the one going 15-2 while the rest go 2-13 and we lose, I don't mind at all.

Korosenai

Really wanted to say 2-0 enemy, but I went for a split. This is like the third time where I know a team will 2-0 yet I call a split anyways.

gogosox82

Mute also works if one of the enemy team is spamming laugh or taunt. It will make it so you can't hear them.

You can't do that on ps4 though which what I think he is playing on. You can only mute your teammates on consoles. I have everyone muted and I still here the laughs and taunts.

Navid

You can't do that on ps4 though which what I think he is playing on. You can only mute your teammates on consoles. I have everyone muted and I still here the laughs and taunts.
I don't mind enemy taunts and laughs at all to be honest, think that just adds a bit of spice to it all. Always good fun when you latch onto a enemy god within a match, a kind of "ohhh, here we go... round 3!" rivalry whenever your paths cross on the map.

One thing I wish the console HUD had however is some sort of indicator to show when your team-mates have their super available. Also think the game could do a much better job of giving you info on your team-mates gods when you are loading into a match in place of random tips!

Overall I think that's my biggest issue with the game, it could do a much better job of explaining items, stats and terms to you... It took me a while to actually figure out what Titans Bane's passive actually does (at fist I thought it gave you a 33% boost to your current penetration stat. Some terms and info that is probably taken as a given by others still confuse me, what's a Carry, or how do you figure out who/how many go left/right/mid for example..?

It's very much like most fighting games in that regard, it expects people to come into it with that information already gathered and that is probably what creates some of the barrier of entry people associate with MOBA's.

One thing I wish the console HUD had however is some sort of indicator to show when your team-mates have their super available.

Overall I think that's my biggest issue with the game, it could do a much better job of explaining items, stats and terms to you... It took me a while to actually figure out what Titans Bane's passive actually does (at fist I thought it gave you a 33% boost to your current penetration stat. Some terms and info that is probably taken as a given by others still confuse me, what's a Carry, or how do you figure out who/how many go left/right/mid for example..?

There should be a blue diamond under each players icon, when the icon is lit they have their ultimate. PC and Xbox have this, I'd be surprised if PS4 doesn't. Also on PC there will be small blue dashes, the more dashes the closer the ultimate is to coming back up.

Speaking of who goes where and how many that is not decided by Hi-Rez. They could state it in the loading screen and it could easily change if a pro team finds a better method than the current one.

Top Bottom