• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Navid

There should be a blue diamond under each players icon, when the icon is lit they have their ultimate. PC and Xbox have this, I'd be surprised if PS4 doesn't. Also on PC there will be small blue dashes, the more dashes the closer the ultimate is to coming back up.
Oh had no idea, I've probably missed that all this time then... :D

Speaking of who goes where and how many that is not decided by Hi-Rez. They could state it in the loading screen and it could easily change if a pro team finds a better method than the current one.
I don't really need any optimum 'pro' solution, just some basic guidelines would be better than nothing. Lets assume they can tell what God you have picked and what type of match you are in, so some general tips for said class as you load in would go a long way for relatively inexperienced players like myself.

For example, say I pick a guardian... the game could tell me it's probably not a good idea for me to try and solo a lane due to how inefficient I would be at clearing the enemy soldiers that are spawning, maybe they could even give a recommendation as to which which of the gods on my team it might be worth sticking with.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I feel that's the kind of hand holding that can makes these games more inviting to beginners.

gogosox82

I felt really bad for this Tyr I just played against. He was clearly new and had no idea what he was doing. Hope he doesn't quit because of the bad game.

I don't really need any optimum 'pro' solution, just some basic guidelines would be better than nothing. Lets assume they can tell what God you have picked and what type of match you are in, so some general tips for said class as you load in would go a long way for relatively inexperienced players like myself.

For example, say I pick a guardian... the game could tell me it's probably not a good idea for me to try and solo a lane due to how inefficient I would be at clearing the enemy soldiers that are spawning, maybe they could even give a recommendation as to which which of the gods on my team it might be worth sticking with.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I feel that's the kind of hand holding that can makes these games more inviting to beginners.

I understand where you're coming from but Hi-Rez has no control over what role should go where. They could give a little tip that says Guardians normally go to the duo lane with the hunters but that's not all a guardian does.

A guardian shouldn't really stay in that lane for long as they'll be leeching xp off their carry, so they roam. A 1-2 sentence tooltip can't really explain how long they should stay. When they should rotate for mids, if they should forget it if they pushed into their tower. How long they should spend leeching off mid lane.

Also even if they could tell you all this it still might be useless as you don't have to run a guardian in the support role. Solo Athena works well, solo Ymir can work, Incon used to run a solo Geb to great effect in his casual/ranked games. Jungle Athena also works as does mid Ymir. Alternatively warriors can work in the support role even though they have a lot less cc than guardians.

In the pro games Kali has been run in the adc carry role to great effect. Before it was done no one even thought about Kali outside the jungle role.

If you're playing a casual conquest you can run any class in any role and it can work.

DeviantBoi

I understand where you're coming from but Hi-Rez has no control over what role should go where. They could give a little tip that says Guardians normally go to the duo lane with the hunters but that's not all a guardian does.

A guardian shouldn't really stay in that lane for long as they'll be leeching xp off their carry, so they roam. A 1-2 sentence tooltip can't really explain how long they should stay. When they should rotate for mids, if they should forget it if they pushed into their tower. How long they should spend leeching off mid lane.

Also even if they could tell you all this it still might be useless as you don't have to run a guardian in the support role. Solo Athena works well, solo Ymir can work, Incon used to run a solo Geb to great effect in his casual/ranked games. Jungle Athena also works as does mid Ymir. Alternatively warriors can work in the support role even though they have a lot less cc than guardians.

In the pro games Kali has been run in the adc carry role to great effect. Before it was done no one even thought about Kali outside the jungle role.

If you're playing a casual conquest you can run any class in any role and it can work.

That's why I'm sticking to the arena or the one- or two-lane games. I have no clue about anything you just wrote.

what's a Carry, or how do you figure out who/how many go left/right/mid for example..?

I was a complete Smite virgin a couple of weeks ago, so I've been doing a lot of research into its terms to get up to speed. Carry was indeed one that tripped me up. It turns out that it's "the one who carries the team to victory", or in game terms, a character/build that is extremely powerful at higher levels. The team's priority becomes to feed the character (letting them get the last hit on enemies, etc.) to get it to reach that level as fast as possible to gain an overwhelming advantage. The carry seems to be a hunter almost always.

From what I've read (I'm nowhere near that level of play myself, not by lightyears), the competitive meta has:
The carry and an assist on the long lane (this is the side lane that has the opposing center towers furthest apart).
Players three and four each on one of the other two lanes (the short lane, and the mid lane).
And the fifth (typically an assassing) jungling and ganking (killing camps and looking for unsuspecting/weakened enemies to kill, including the opposing jungler).

I found this pretty useful, as well as the wiki:
https://smiteacademy.wordpress.com/smite-dictionary/

What determines respawn time?

Sometimes I get respawn end in the arena very quickly, other times it takes so long.

This is another thing that boggled me, until I researched it; it turns out the arena respawns work differently from other modes: if you're the first to die in your team, you get a respawn countdown much like in any other mode, determined by yor level and how far ahead your team is. However, if more teammates die while one is waiting to respawn, they respawn at the same time. This means that if you die and get a 40 sec respawn timer, and another teammate dies 35 secs later, he'll only have to wait 5 secs.

patchday

Had a crazy Arena match earlier. I was playing Vamana (sp?). The other team had a slight lead in the last few seconds. I got a double kill and clutched the win (finishing at 6/5/19 KDA). Now I have all the warriors at Mastery 1 except Tyr. Really dreading Tyr; he might be crazy difficult to play (at least in Arena)

Huh didn't know this. I thought the support always followed around the Carry (like how it works in LoL for the most part). Good to know thanks. I've been doing mostly all Arena and the other one lane modes. But eventually may do a little casual conquest

I better watch some Guardian vids

And the fifth (typically an assassing) jungling and ganking (killing camps and looking for unsuspecting/weakened enemies to kill, including the opposing jungler).

The jungler has actually become a sort of 2nd support recently although this is not seen as a good thing. The best player in the world, a jungler, recently made a reddit post about this subject (as well as 2 others).

Huh didn't know this. I thought the support always followed around the Carry (like how it works in LoL for the most part). Good to know thanks. I've been doing mostly all Arena and the other one lane modes. But eventually may do a little casual conquest

Well if the do that then they leech off some the xp/gold from the carry therefore making it take them longer to get to late game and that power spike.

However due to how jungle camps work they will always try to split them with the carry or someone else if possible as this gives more xp/gold to the team.

DeviantBoi

I was looking around the settings on the PS4 and found one that says "enable test features" (or something like that).

The most obvious change was the god selection before a match. Much, much better. Not sure what else changed, though.

gogosox82

Dear players on ps4,

I know you are new to the game but if we are playing joust and you see me call and then pick a hunter, do not pick another hunter. Pick something else. And sure all hell don't get all salty when you go 0-5.

Thanks,

An annoyed experienced player who is tired of losing matches because you couldn't just pick a mage.

If you have the founders pack for Paladins you will now have access to the Fernando Ares skin:

Fernando-Ares.png

XenoRaven

Really tired of being top ELO every game and having to carry out of my mind if I want to win.

Edit: Shortly after complaining I got into a game where I was lowest ELO and we wrecked so hard two people on the other team quit and the remaining three surrendered.

I wish Hi-Rez would do something about laugh spam though. We should be able to mute VGS from players on the other team.

patchday

Dear players on ps4,

I know you are new to the game but if we are playing joust and you see me call and then pick a hunter, do not pick another hunter. Pick something else. And sure all hell don't get all salty when you go 0-5.

Thanks,

An annoyed experienced player who is tired of losing matches because you couldn't just pick a mage.

Thats why I usually don't lock in til the very end if I want to get a decent team comp. Granted, I'm mostly doing Arena

Can't you leave the lobby w/o penalty too since its not ranked? But that's a last resort.

patchday

Ah that's what it is.

I was thinking I kind of dig those new Underworld skins. Still havent played as Hades yet tho

Also that Paladins skin does look good on Ares I think. That's nice you got Paladins founders pack for free.

DeviantBoi

Question

I bought the season ticket on Saturday. I picked three of the remaining matches for the week and was wrong on all three. I was right, however, on the last match of the fourth week of the other tournament and got 40 points for that.

I have played a bunch since I bought the ticket and had almost 400 fantasy points from winning matches.

Yesterday, when I logged in, I received a notification that I received ~320 fantasy points and I have no idea why.

Can anyone clue me in?

Question

I bought the season ticket on Saturday. I picked three of the remaining matches for the week and was wrong on all three. I was right, however, on the last match of the fourth week of the other tournament and got 40 points for that.

I have played a bunch since I bought the ticket and had almost 400 fantasy points from winning matches.

Yesterday, when I logged in, I received a notification that I received ~320 fantasy points and I have no idea why.

Can anyone clue me in?

Are you on Xbox? If so there was a bug where wins didn't give you fp for a bit. To correct this they just gave everyone on xbox about 300 fp for free.

DeviantBoi

Are you on Xbox? If so there was a bug where wins didn't give you fp for a bit. To correct this they just gave everyone on xbox about 300 fp for free.

No, on PS4.

There was one time where we won and instead of taking me the summary screen, I was kicked out of the game to the login screen. I did not receive those 15 fp.

That's about it.

XenoRaven

You can, just hit the mute button for that person on the tab screen and you no longer hear their laughs or their taunts.
Can't do this on consoles. The option isn't available to mute them. It's annoying. If you're constantly going to give me teammates who feed like crazy but refuse to surrender, at least give me the option to not have to listen to the other team laugh the entire game. Happened three times yesterday.

I'll stop complaining now, but man this game has been a drag lately and it has everything to do with the matchmaking and this community.

The Fernando skin is pretty cool. Someone in Arena today had it. I don't know if I would pay for it just yet though. I can't be arsed to play Paladins, and I have free access. :\

Besides Joust and Arena, what's another game mode that doesn't take too long to complete?

Along with what Indignate said the motd can be good as well depending on what it is. Some of them are really short. Especially random modes as it's obvious pretty early on who has the better team and people just surrender.

That feeling when you put beads on a 3 minute cooldown to get out of a cage on a 40 second cooldown. Basically it's trash. Beads cd is pure gold dust using it for this isn't worth.

They've mentioned on the stream a few other small/strange interactions it can do but you're right, overall it's not worth buying if you're facing an Odin.

Odin ult nerf though!

They've mentioned on the stream a few other small/strange interactions it can do but you're right, overall it's not worth buying if you're facing an Odin.

Odin ult nerf though!

Honestly the whole of Odin's kit is conceptually bad and should be reworked. Unlike a character like Loki who just needs to be nerfed.

PTS Patch Notes: Escape From The Underworld | 3.6

Busy at work so I don't have time to copy+paste and format the whole article for GAF, but here's the TLDR:

New goddess: Jing Wei

New skins:

Pandamonium Odin

Worldweaver Neith

Rakshasa Vamana

Reborn Jing Wei

Grim Horseman Guan Yu

Grim Wraith Hades

Awilix Mastery Skins

Gods who receive buffs: Agni, Apollo, Bakasura, Chang'e, Hel, Scylla, Sylvanus

Gods who receive nerfs: Odin

patchday

yeah Odin was a sure win almost. Just hop in there with a shield and pop ult. Kill squishy and win the game (at least in Arena)

New goddess sounds fun :D

Top Bottom