• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

gogosox82

New god seems cool but I can already hear the complaining now about her being broken. 3 looks like a built in fatalis so you could probably pop your 3 and then your 2 and if they are still too far away hit your 1 to knock them up and slow them.

Thank god for the Odin nerf. No more Ring of Spears every 36 seconds.

I don't see why Scylla got that buff. How is that going to make her any better early game? Crush already hits pretty hard mid game, won't this just make it so it hits even harder mid game but do nothing to her early game? I guess we'll see.

I think the buff to Chang'e was good. Her three heals for nothing late game and doesn't do all that much damage. Making the base damage higher I think is a step in the right direction. Maybe she'll more play in solo now. Probably not because weakening curse at level one is still a thing but maybe you won't get totally pushed and bullied out of lane anymore.

I don't get why they didn't give Hel the amc treatment and make the slow 20% at all ranks but then maybe giving her a 20% slow at rank 1 would make her broken. Hi-Rez seems to be in a rough spot with Hel. They either do something that makes Hel broken or completely useless. No in between for Hel.

Thats why I usually don't lock in til the very end if I want to get a decent team comp. Granted, I'm mostly doing Arena

Can't you leave the lobby w/o penalty too since its not ranked? But that's a last resort.

For Arena I don't mind what people play. I only care about that in modes like Joust where you need a tank, a lane pusher, and a damage dealer to win. Just don't pick a hunter you clearly see I'm a hunter. Pick another damn role. This isn't Arena where it really doesn't matter. It kind of matters what role you are in that mode.

Can't do this on consoles. The option isn't available to mute them. It's annoying. If you're constantly going to give me teammates who feed like crazy but refuse to surrender, at least give me the option to not have to listen to the other team laugh the entire game. Happened three times yesterday.

I'll stop complaining now, but man this game has been a drag lately and it has everything to do with the matchmaking and this community.

Apparently, this is still a thing on xbox which is just crazy to me when they know people have been complaining about it for a year now. Yeah 60 fps will be nice but when I hit mute all in the options, why do I have to hear the enemy? It literally makes no sense.

Its funny, but I've actually had the opposite problem. Will be down 5 tickets or the enemy team will a big team fight in clash and people want to f6. Its like really? I could see if we are getting destroyed and we have no towers but its like 5 minutes into the game and you want to f6. Just calm your tits man, we can come back from one bad fight.

Please don't throw shade at my girl.

Your girl is probably my favorite assassin. You better believe I'm gonna play the shit out of Awilix after the next patch hits — she's a hard counter to Jing Wei. I expect to see Awilix and Jing Wei in every Arena match for at least a week.

Indignate

Yeah, she's dope. It's between her and Athena for favorite character I think. Awilish is probably more fun but Athena has a good voice. I mean, Awilix has a great voice too but Athena has a gooooooooooooode if you know what I mean so maybe she wins.

Old Nu Wa is still probably the best character this game has ever seen doe
grave.gif

Kalentan

Anyone know good builds on Amaterasu? Cause I try and build her recommended build and I come across two things:

1. Her damage output seems to be really low and I don't become tanky enough to justify going tank either.
2. I try to build damage up and then I just get melted in a second.

Played 2 rounds of the new arena, the bonus round is very hectic but a lot of fun.

If they added it to the motd rotation I'd be happy although I guess with it's very quick conclusion it would be ripe for fp farming. Even better than some of the other motd modes.

New god seems cool but I can already hear the complaining now about her being broken. 3 looks like a built in fatalis so you could probably pop your 3 and then your 2 and if they are still too far away hit your 1 to knock them up and slow them.

The thing most people seem to want to nerf is her passive.

In game modes where backing can be a tough choice she has it incredibly easy. You also can not poke her out of lane as she can clear one wave, back and still be back before the next waves meet.

Also due to her high mobility she will be hard to gank and kill. Shutting her down will be a tall order and I could see her coming online quicker than most other carries even if she goes the crit build.

Navid

Shame that the console versions don't get these patches and updates in line with the PC version... hopefully once they get out of 'beta' they will be better about updating the console version as well.

gogosox82

Shame that the console versions don't get these patches and updates in line with the PC version... hopefully once they get out of 'beta' they will be better about updating the console version as well.

Console is always going to be 2 weeks behind pc. So don't expect the new gods until Late April/Early May.

The thing most people seem to want to nerf is her passive.

In game modes where backing can be a tough choice she has it incredibly easy. You also can not poke her out of lane as she can clear one wave, back and still be back before the next waves meet.

Also due to her high mobility she will be hard to gank and kill. Shutting her down will be a tall order and I could see her coming online quicker than most other carries even if she goes the crit build.

Yeah so I watched some videos and her passive isn't on a cooldown which just sounds broken. You can just recall and then use you passive and your 3 for a boost and get to any objectives quickly. I think they need to put it on some sort of cooldown so that you can't just use it over and over again. But she sounded kind of broken from the description so I can't say I'm too surprised.

edit: Can you attack while in the air? Could you for example use your passive to get to a team fight and then just ult the enemies before you land? That would be insane if you could do that.

edit: Can you attack while in the air? Could you for example use your passive to get to a team fight and then just ult the enemies before you land? That would be insane if you could do that.

No you can't. The only thing you can do i choose where you want to land.

If your Ymir and you don't use your 3, I really don't know what your doing with your life.

You need to be ranking your 2 up first if you're support.

Well that's good to hear.

However if you drop a ward deep enough you can go back to base, teleport to the ward, your passive will activate. You can then fly to the enemy base, reactivate your passive in their base and fly back to their red buff.

gogosox82

You need to be ranking your 2 up first if you're support.

However if you drop a ward deep enough you can go back to base, teleport to the ward, your passive will activate. You can then fly to the enemy base, reactivate your passive in their base and fly back to their red buff.

Yeah but to NEVER use it though and ult the second it comes up and there are enemies around? At least use your 3 to set up the ult.

Yeah ok that just stupid if that's a thing.

Yeah but to NEVER use it though and ult the second it comes up and there are enemies around? At least use your 3 to set up the ult.

I mistyped my bad, you need to be ranking your 3 up first, the increase in the length of the cc is needed. So yeah, your 3 is a great setup and peel for low health teammates.

Arguably your wall should be ranked up before your 2.

Xiaoyu with wings and crossbow. I can dig that.

*watches video of her passive* OK, that looks so fun. And yeah, broken. I'm sure HiRez aren't stupid so there's probably something we're missing. Unless, of course, they're playing the old "release broken new character to mae people buy her, balance her later, repeat". Is that a thing here (I'm new to Smite)?

Console is always going to be 2 weeks behind pc. So don't expect the new gods until Late April/Early May.

PS4 is on 3.3 right now, which is 5 weeks behind. I don't mind a couple weeks but at this point it seems like 3.6 will hit PC before 3.4 hits consoles.

#1 Thing I hate about trying to teach a new player the game, all the smurfs I have to carry against. Really makes teaching someone the game a chore because of try hards.

XenoRaven

*watches video of her passive* OK, that looks so fun. And yeah, broken. I'm sure HiRez aren't stupid so there's probably something we're missing. Unless, of course, they're playing the old "release broken new character to mae people buy her, balance her later, repeat". Is that a thing here (I'm new to Smite)?

PS4 is on 3.3 right now, which is 5 weeks behind. I don't mind a couple weeks but at this point it seems like 3.6 will hit PC before 3.4 hits consoles.
Consoles got Reborn Prince some time after SWC was over. It was funny hearing little flourishes of Jingle Bells in the main menu music in late January.

gogosox82

Should have said at least 2 weeks behind pc. Its obviously way more than 2 weeks behind pc considering pc is on 3.6 and consoles are on 3.3.

DeviantBoi

3.4 and 3.5 are coming next week to PS4 and XB1.

There will be a one-time PC->PS4 transfer sometime soon. It's been approved by Sony.

Navid

I've found my two biggest issues currently with the game on PS4:

1 - The inability to customise the button mappings on the controller, none of the current pre-set options feel comfortable to me across the board.

2 - Not having the option to separately set your Relic usage to instant casting while keeping your abilities to the normal casting method, the number of times I've wanted to use a Relic and have had to fumble too long (ties in with the above issue) with activating it is a bit of a pain.

gogosox82

3.4 and 3.5 are coming next week to PS4 and XB1.

There will be a one-time PC->PS4 transfer sometime soon. It's been approved by Sony.

Yep, this is also the Skadi patch along with 60 fps patch. Really hope we get some clarification on when exactly we can transfer because I'm dying to transfer all my skins over from pc. All ready broke down and got the sugar and spice Hel skin though.

I've found my two biggest issues currently with the game on PS4:

1 - The inability to customise the button mappings on the controller, none of the current pre-set options feel comfortable to me across the board.

2 - Not having the option to separately set your Relic usage to instant casting while keeping your abilities to the normal casting method, the number of times I've wanted to use a Relic and have had to fumble too long (ties in with the above issue) with activating it is a bit of a pain.

I think Hi- Rez said something about being able to customize your controller layout more in the next patch. You can also set individual abilities to normal, quick, or instant cast and just have your default cast on instant in the options.

Yep, this is also the Skadi patch along with 60 fps patch.

What, really? Awesome! The way they talked about 60 FPS on consoles it sounded like a "don't hold your breath" thing.

Also I hope they give some heads up before the transfer, to let us buy stuff beforehand. I actually have more gems on PS4 as I bought the founders' pack, how do gems work in that instance? Do you get the highest amount out of PC and PS4? The sum?

Navid

I think Hi- Rez said something about being able to customize your controller layout more in the next patch. You can also set individual abilities to normal, quick, or instant cast and just have your default cast on instant in the options.
Lets hope so in regards to custom controller mapping being added in a future update, that would be great...

And wow, had looked through all the stuff in the option menu (always the first thing I do with a new game). Had no idea there was a separate menu to change the casting methods for your individual abilities under the in-match options. Wish they would have stuck that stuff under the Ability Builder in the Gods menu.

Thanks a bunch for the heads up though. :)

gogosox82

How long are games in Smite, like, in average ?

Depends on what game mode your playing. Usually they are around 20 minutes on average in all the other modes besides conquest. Conquest is usually around 30 minutes.

What, really? Awesome! The way they talked about 60 FPS on consoles it sounded like a "don't hold your breath" thing.

Also I hope they give some heads up before the transfer, to let us buy stuff beforehand. I actually have more gems on PS4 as I bought the founders' pack, how do gems work in that instance? Do you get the highest amount out of PC and PS4? The sum?

They even said to adjust your sensitivity when the patch hits because of the 60 fps. So its probably happening probably next week when the patch hits.

I highly doubt the gems will be transferred. Maybe some one who plays on xbox can answer better since they also had an account transfer but I think the only thing that going to transfer is skins and mastery level of a god and maybe favor. I'd assume that if you have for example Neith as a diamond on pc, that will transfer to the ps4 and you'll get the worshippers and skins that you had on pc but I don't think you'd get the gems. I could be wrong though but since gems is how Hi Rez makes money, I doubt they' d refund you gems or transfer gems over from one account to another.

Lets hope so in regards to custom controller mapping being added in a future update, that would be great...

And wow, had looked through all the stuff in the option menu (always the first thing I do with a new game). Had no idea there was a separate menu to change the casting methods for your individual abilities under the in-match options. Wish they would have stuck that stuff under the Ability Builder in the Gods menu.

Thanks a bunch for the heads up though. :)

No problem :)

patchday

Hm, wonder if coop vs AI games count towards the gem bonus? I just wanted to get the bonus for today and I dont want to see this game no more for rest of weekend. just need 1 more game to get my 3 WoTD but I'm having probs. All I like are Clash and Arena :(

Guss I'll try that new mode where you pick for enemy team

XenoRaven

Hm, wonder if coop vs AI games count towards the gem bonus? I just wanted to get the bonus for today and I dont want to see this game no more for rest of weekend. just need 1 more game to get my 3 WoTD but I'm having probs. All I like are Clash and Arena :(

Guss I'll try that new mode where you pick for enemy team
Assault isn't too bad for trying to get FWOTD

patchday

Tried Assault but hated it I guess. Reminds me too much of League's ARAM lol

BUT--- my teammates in Assault told me to try Siege and I had a BLAST. never even tried that mode. Was a lot of fun!

Not sure how the siege machines are earned for the team tho. Guess you gotta defeat the siege boss?

Funny how I lost Assault and that Enemy mode back-to-back but as soon I stepped into a fun mode that I actually enjoyed we win easily

So I'm digging Arena, Siege, and Clash.

Not sure how the siege machines are earned for the team tho. Guess you gotta defeat the siege boss?

That's one way. You will also notice a counter on the side of the screen. When it reaches 100 that team gets a siege machine.

You can stack that counter up by getting kills or by killing minions and buff camps.

Tried Assault but hated it I guess. Reminds me too much of League's ARAM lol

BUT--- my teammates in Assault told me to try Siege and I had a BLAST. never even tried that mode. Was a lot of fun!

Funny how I lost Assault and that Enemy mode back-to-back but as soon I stepped into a fun mode that I actually enjoyed we win easily

So I'm digging Arena, Siege, and Clash.

Kinda obvious that you would like Clash if you like Siege, they're both two lane modes after all. :) Have you tried Joust? It's the same, just one lane. Unlike Assault it has normal mechanics (jungle, camps, return to base, no random selection).

Also, VS CPU matches do not count for anything but Favor. You get no achievements, no worshippers, and no quest progress of any kind (obviously including the current gem dailies). That's pretty much a given since you could play VS Easy AI and steamroll them.

patchday

Well Arena is my baby. The 3 WoTD thing forced me to play other modes. Plus, new players have to scroll their menu down to the bottom to find Siege. Wish they could redesign the UI so all gamemodes are visible at once.

Glad that crap is over. Don't think I'll be grinding for gems the rest of my weekend.

(Granted what frustrated me was Joust and Assault, those modes have always tilted me)

I also think its kind of bullshit to not count Coop vs AI for WoTD. Even League counts coop matches.

Well Arena is my baby. The 3 WoTD thing forced me to play other modes. Plus, new players have to scroll their menu down to the bottom to find Siege. Wish they could redesign the UI so all gamemodes are visible at once.

It used to be like that until they added Clash. At first the motd had to be scrolled down to but they switched it to siege.

Siege is the least played game mode so I can kind of understand why they did this but hiding it will not increase it's playerbase at all.

A small ui change would be a good thing.

patchday

I must admit I am grateful for the 3 WoTD thing. Never even gave Clash and Siege a try. Will be alternating in those game modes now

I must admit I am grateful for the 3 WoTD thing. Never even gave Clash and Siege a try. Will be alternating in those game modes now

That's most certainly the intent of the event. :)

Siege is the least played game mode so I can kind of understand why they did this but hiding it will not increase it's playerbase at all.

I have to wonder to what extent that is due precisely to its unfortunate placement in the UI. There is no reason at all to be less popular than the other 1/2 lane modes other than it being nearly invisible. I think you can't even play it co-op.

Glad that crap is over. Don't think I'll be grinding for gems the rest of my weekend.

(Granted what frustrated me was Joust and Assault, those modes have always tilted me)

I also think its kind of bullshit to not count Coop vs AI for WoTD. Even League counts coop matches.

Arena is also my favorite mode. On the co-op thing, I can understand not wanting players to just steamroll matches VS easy AI to get any rewards and achievements. The idea is to incentivize players to play VS, to increase the player base and reduce queues.

Indignate

I'm doing some stuff for a while today so it probably won't be playing for about 3 hours (7pm gmt).

Still need 1 more fwotd today so i'll be running an arena or clash.

If you're on steam add me and let me know when you're getting on. I just got my wins but I'll be down to play some more. http://steamcommunity.com/id/natez209/

The one problem with this game is that there's no good way to see when people are playing while other mobas have their own clients that don't require the game running. Steam is how I always see Spiritreaver get on but I don't play with him cuz homie just afks at the menu.

gogosox82

So I just watched Icon play Jing Wei on pts. Yeah, that passive is silly. He literally put a ward down deep in their side of the map, went back to base, bought teleport, teleported to the ward, and then used his passive to fly into their camp. That just needs to be changed. The backdoor possibilities are just too real if that passive stays like that. Her early game is insane with throwing dagger start. Full clears the wave with just her two and you can use the one for harass or getting around the map to gank middle or steal their buff camps. I think she falls off pretty hard late game though and her three is not good at all. It only seems to be good with the one and its not going to save you if your in trouble. Ult is hard to confirm and doesn't do all that much damage. If they tone down the way the passive a little and just make only work when your in base and not work when your not in base, I think she'll be fine balance wise.

I have to wonder to what extent that is due precisely to its unfortunate placement in the UI. There is no reason at all to be less popular than the other 1/2 lane modes other than it being nearly invisible. I think you can't even play it co-op.

Before the ui was changed to the scroll down it is now Siege was still the lowest played mode. But you're right in that the change could only be a bad thing for siege queue times.

Another problem with siege is that a lot of the people playing it are 4 man groups, so if you go in solo it will be you and 3 other randomers vs a 4 man squad who play siege a lot together. Chances are you will be steamrolled.

If you're on steam add me and let me know when you're getting on. I just got my wins but I'll be down to play some more. http://steamcommunity.com/id/natez209/

The one problem with this game is that there's no good way to see when people are playing while other mobas have their own clients that don't require the game running. Steam is how I always see Spiritreaver get on but I don't play with him cuz homie just afks at the menu.

Friend request sent.

Whooo got diamond Hades finally. I feel awful because he was the first god I ever learned how to play, but he was so awful I never played him.

gogosox82

Just played a MOTD where you start at 20 and 12,000 gold. Had 3 Chronos'(is this right?) on my team. Imagine trying go up against 3 fully fed Chronos'. Didn't go to well for the other team lol.

Kalentan

I just had a match that almost gave me a terminal disease.

I was Zues and my friend was Hou Yi and we were both doing really good. Then this Anubius and Hel, seemingly duo were adcing and supporting and were just god awful. Then even when we're in the lead they want us to surrender, we say no, becuase we were still doing good and pushing lanes?

So what does the Anubius and Hel do? They go afk or just wander around the base. What fucking jokers. I really hope people like that uninstall.

Assault is my favorite mode, but I couldn't tell you why. 8/10 games make me want to jump off Mount Olympus. I keep coming back though.

Lol. I'm the same. I enjoy not having the pressure of having to pick the right God. Plus it helps me learn them all since you can't fault anyone in that mode..

XenoRaven

Lol. I'm the same. I enjoy not having the pressure of having to pick the right God. Plus it helps me learn them all since you can't fault anyone in that mode..
Oh I will fault people. I will fault them all day long.

Not knowing a god is no excuse for not understanding basic team based game mechanics.

gogosox82

Oh I will fault people. I will fault them all day long.

Not knowing a god is no excuse for not understanding basic team based game mechanics.

Only thing I've noticed is that people love to tower dive in that mode and then get upset when you don't follow. Its like dude, I have 200 hp and no mana and we have no minions, I'm not tower diving just because your thirsty for a kill. Other than stuff like that, I have no issue with people in that mode and sometimes you just get screwed. I was in a match where my team had Hel, Odin, Hades, Kuku, and xbal. Other team really had no chance. We would just wait until everyone had their ults and just dive them and have hel heal us up. There was really nothing they could do.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Only thing I've noticed is that people love to tower dive in that mode and then get upset when you don't follow. Its like dude, I have 200 hp and no mana and we have no minions, I'm not tower diving just because your thirsty for a kill. Other than stuff like that, I have no issue with people in that mode and sometimes you just get screwed. I was in a match where my team had Hel, Odin, Hades, Kuku, and xbal. Other team really had no chance. We would just wait until everyone had their ults and just dive them and have hel heal us up. There was really nothing they could do.

if they were smart a brawler beat stick or divine ruin and focus hel would do the trick

Top Bottom