• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Zurick

Banned
If you give a set time & date, you guarantee these sites crash under the weight of people constantly refreshing to get the first stab at stock. Random drops at least ensure servers stay alive.

Ticket sales for live events announce their ticket drop dates months in advance, and they've got worse issues than this.

I feel like not even their times had consideration for people. Let alone the lack of notification.

Funny thing: I was set up to receive Email Notification from Amazon when this item went on sale, lol.

STILL no email. Worthless.

It's probably because it went up for sale as a different listing. The "Super NES Classic" listing that they have up still hasn't opened for preorders. Who knows if it ever will.

NolbertoS

Huh?

Well, if they were all asleep...there shouldn't be any on ebay. LOL

You have a point.

Its not perfect but alot of CAGers and GAFers managed to actually score a SNES. BB was cancelling multiple order left and right and some people got lucky with 2 at most. I think it was a peaceful transaction compared to the NES classic where amazon and BB sold out in minutes

jvm

Gamasutra.
Like alot of people have stated in past pages, BB seems to have wanted to avoid bots crashing there servers, scalpers not being able to pre-order live, and seems like most scalpers are in the East coast, just a wild guess as It was 1:30am EST when BB released these
I can't imagine this is a problem specific to Nintendo. I guess there are other crazy-high-demand situations, and I just don't know about them.

I think the ill-will generated is a needless self-inflicted penalty.

I feel like not even their times had consideration for people. Let alone the lack of notification.
Oh yeah, there's no justification for Best Buy & Amazon going live when they did. It almost felt like both put their listings up by accident, and just ran with it instead of having to cancel.

JakeD

its funny to me that they were clever enough to make a new URL to throw off the bots, but forgot to check the "dont let people order 60 units" option

Funny thing: I was set up to receive Email Notification from Amazon when this item went on sale, lol.

STILL no email. Worthless.

Amazon e-mail notification will never work in its current implementation, it only emails about a product that goes into stock a few HOURS after it becomes available. For 99% of things thats just fine but for something like this it will be long since sold out, and since it is sold out so fast (15-20 min windows) the alerter never sends anything out.

Even something like nowinstock isn't useful, the alerts for best buy apparently went out a minute before the SNES sold out on best buy.

The only way to keep on top of this is to follow wario64 on twitter, install the twitter app, and have it send alerts to your phone whenever wario sends out a new tweet. Maybe there is a way to have it filter out keywords so you only see things with SNES or classic, otherwise you'll be getting 40-60 alerts a day.

Nintendo owner since the NES, and the facade of caring is truly nonexistent. This device, along with the NES Classic, was made purely with profits and shareholders in mind. Just a shame to see such corporate greed.

I agree, and I've been an owner of the system since the old days too. Technically my parents owned the NES, but Super NES on was all me (and my little brother).

I expect greed from any business, and I'm not surprised at all to see it from Nintendo these days. I guess I just had that realization awhile back and let go of any sentiment tied to them.

its funny to me that they were clever enough to make a new URL to throw off the bots, but forgot to check the "dont let people order 60 units" option

They could very likely change that to one unit per customer and just went by number of customers instead of number of units preordered. It was up for 30 minutes, which is a long time for Amazon pre orders, even at 3 am.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Thank you. The GS employee I called indicated the same and that an announcement was coming later - sounded like later today but I dunno if that was just my inference.
LPdKWMJ.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/899993355379249158

JakeD

They could very likely change that to one unit per customer and just went by number of customers instead of number of units preordered. It was up for 30 minutes, which is a long time for Amazon pre orders, even at 3 am.

true. it might be better to allow people to put in the bulk orders and cancel them, then for them to limit it to 1, have the pre-order be up for longer, and give everyone time to make fake accounts with different shipping addresses.

Thinkgeek still has plenty of mega man busters so expect that :p

SNES mania strategy guide as well, just like Mario mania all those years ago

Who doesn't need more Nintendo polishes

Yeah, GS is going to do a bundle, no doubt about it. I'll be shocked if they don't.

Honestly, if it's the system + the guide book for like $110, I'll buy it. I think that's my $$$ limit on this thing though.

These bundles really do deter scalpers though, as annoying as they are.

Man, the way this is going down is just stupid. The fact that I even got 2 from Amazon was by complete luck (due to waking up when receiving a Nowinstock notification for BB, after it sold out) and deciding to follow Wario64. No official announcement, no warning beforehand, nothing. Shit's ridiculous.

Man, the way this is going down is just stupid. The fact that I even got 2 from Amazon was by complete luck (due to waking up when receiving a Nowinstock notification for BB, after it sold out, and deciding to follow Wario64. No official announcement, no warning beforehand, nothing. Shit's ridiculous.

What on Earth are you complaining about?

Spacebar

Folks should still complain about the situation. Some folks can have multiple, but it's not their fault Nintendo is dropping the ball.

I had multiple too until wal mart cancelled them. Even if you get multiple pre orders no one even trusts them because of cancellations and weird landing pages.

Man, the way this is going down is just stupid. The fact that I even got 2 from Amazon was by complete luck (due to waking up when receiving a Nowinstock notification for BB, after it sold out, and deciding to follow Wario64. No official announcement, no warning beforehand, nothing. Shit's ridiculous.

Yeah sorry man. I got 0 and you only got 2 more than me. Hope things improve.

Krathoon

Gold Member
It is interesting how Nintendo can churn out plenty of Switch carts, but it is hard for them to get out those minis.

More people should be able to get the damn thing. Or am I not allowed to feel empathy considering I missed out on the NES?

This. I already have my pre-order through Amazon UK, but what is happening here in the US is a fucking disgrace. I wish all had the ability to get one, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

It is interesting how Nintendo can churn out plenty of Switch carts, but it is hard for them to get out those minis.

1000s of scalpers aren't buying up dozens or more of the Switch game to resell. I feel confident that, if scalping were removed from the equation, all GAF members would get a pre-order early-on. The only way Nintendo would be able to fight this issue would be to massively over-produce such that the scalpers would be wasting their time. Enough that they would literally be 100s sitting on shelves after demand was met after Christmas. This thing is the scalping "golden ticket". They are all gunning for it, and even casual resellers are getting in on this action.

Top Bottom