• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Is there any other company as anti-consumer as Nintendo that can constantly get away with this without damaging their brand? I keep thinking that one of these days their artificial scarcity mindset will backfire on them but it's the same story every time.

NolbertoS

Probably old news. My wife went to Gamestop and they know nothing about SNES classic preorders.

I honestly wouldn't trust any employee at GS for confirmation after the NES classic fiasco where employees from Walmart, Target and GS were hoarding batches. Just go with either brickseek or if you see and online tweet from Wario, order one online personally and head to GS physically as a last resort.

oakenhild

Gonna be a long day for people working there, I feel bad for them.

It's going to be a long holiday season for them. Starts with people that follow snes classic preorders, and ends with panicked parents trying to find one (and the switch) throughout the entire holiday. Sounds like a blast.

Is there any other company as anti-consumer as Nintendo that can constantly get away with this without damaging their brand? I keep thinking that one of these days their artificial scarcity mindset will backfire on them but it's the same story every time.

they keep doing it cuz it keeps working, lol

maxcriden

My wife tried going to Gamestop. They told her they know nothing about SNES classic preorders.

Thank you. The GS employee I called indicated the same and that an announcement was coming later - sounded like later today but I dunno if that was just my inference.

Best Buy's was notified, but Amazon changed URL's last minute so the site never 'saw' it in stock.
Lol but I never got a best buy notification either. I have virtually every sign up notification enabled and never got any kind of information that it was available.

I'm just hoping refreshing this thread, the product pages, and some Twitter notifications will allow me to get one at this point.

RedZaraki

Banned
You know, I would have bought one too. Got one of those Wal-Mart pre-orders and it was taken away.

Now the best I could hope is some ridiculous $400 scalper price years from now.

Was thinking about buying some Nintendo Switches for my friends as Christmas gifts too.

But I'm out now. It's clear to me that Nintendo doesn't want my business. This shortage shit isn't even within the same ballpark as expected demand. They're either beyond inept, or intentionally doing this. On every single product they make.

Either way fuck em.

Zurick

Banned
This is insane. It's 2017. Social Media is 2 seconds of work. Informing your customers takes 2 seconds of work. How is this still a thing?

But I'm out now. It's clear to me that Nintendo doesn't want my business. This shortage shit isn't even within the same ballpark as expected demand. They're either beyond inept, or intentionally doing this. On every single product they make.

Either way fuck em.

Nintendo doesn't care about you, per se. They never have...they're simply a business that exists to make money by creating and selling their products. It doesn't necessarily matter to them "who" buys is, since their brand is exceptional and, even through the down times, that never really changed.

They're going to sell the Mini's through either way. Who that purchase comes from is irrelevant to them, just like any memories that anyone has.

tesqui

I loaded my Amazon gift card balance just for this and then they list on a different page at 4am est. What the actual fuck

The Ummah

Banned
I missed everything, apparently. Still hurt from missing the NES Classic, now this?

I've enabled notifications from Wario, but I feel like I've missed my chance. Would've been so easy to claim one with Best Buy or Amazon, the other sites seem like such a long shot. I just want to play Mario Kart with my girlfriend :(

Thank you. The GS employee I called indicated the same and that an announcement was coming later - sounded like later today but I dunno if that was just my inference.
The GS guy I talked to sounded like there would be no preorders and that I would have to line up on release day. That being said, he also sounded like a snot-nosed 20 year old so grains of salt and all that.

You know, I would have bought one too. Got one of those Wal-Mart pre-orders and it was taken away.

Now the best I could hope is some ridiculous $400 scalper price years from now.

Was thinking about buying some Nintendo Switches for my friends as Christmas gifts too.

Either way fuck em.

I mean, there's still Toys R Us, Target, WalMart and GameStop preorders. And thats just first run at these things. Who knows if Amazon or Best Buy will go back up at some point when they cancel those orders from people who ordered 100 of them. You're really giving up early.

I missed everything, apparently. Still hurt from missing the NES Classic, now this?

I've enabled notifications from Wario, but I feel like I've missed my chance. Would've been so easy to claim one with Best Buy or Amazon, the other sites seem like such a long shot. I just want to play Mario Kart with my girlfriend :(

There will be others. I was fortunate with the NES Classic...I was looking at my phone with the notification popped up, and purchased it within 20 seconds. In 2017.

Just keep your eyes open, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

maxcriden

The GS guy I talked to sounded like there would be no preorders and that I would have to line up on release day. That being said, he also sounded like a snot-nosed 20 year old so grains of salt and all that.

Interesting. Thank you. It will be fascinating to see how this shakes out, especially regarding Nintendo's statement that supply will be significantly greater than it was for NES classic.

NolbertoS

Accordinf to Wario, Target, GS, Toys R US and Walmart will also get SNES Classics, so don't fret with just Amazon and BB

Don't take it so personally if you weren't able to preorder from Best Buy or Amazon. There are other retailers. Swearing off Nintendo because two companies put the thing up in the middle of the night is a bit much.

PMS341

Truly, what would it take to get NoA to offer a factual, detailed answer on why they make preorders so difficult? Obviously they love the demand factor, and the "hype" that surrounds it, but it feels so incredibly disingenuous and shitty to their fans.

mjc

Look guys, even if we all miss single preorders we can rest easy knowing a batch will show up on ThinkGeek next summer with foam Master Swords for $250.

kingslunk

Don't take it so personally if you weren't able to preorder from Best Buy or Amazon. There are other retailers. Swearing off Nintendo because two companies put the thing up in the middle of the night is a bit much.

Swearing off Nintendo because they won't make enough to supply the demand cause they're incompetent

jvm

Gamasutra.
I loaded my Amazon gift card balance just for this and then they list on a different page at 4am est. What the actual fuck
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Planned way ahead of time.

I would be interested in knowing what rationale exists behind putting a product up, live, unannounced, when most of the market for it is asleep.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
Fuuuck!! I missed BB last night, and now Amazon this morning. I'm not gonna be able to get one of these, am I? :/
Same boat for me. I fell asleep before Amazon went live because, you know, it was 3:30 a.m. when they went up here.

I'm not going to buy it off scalpers and I refuse to camp stores/websites on and off for the next 5 months in the little hope that I luck out and find one. I tried that with the Classic and came up empty handed. Never again.

I've pretty much resigned myself to not getting one. =/

shandy706

Hopefully people are hammering NOA on Twitter/Facebook/etc for this. Need to do so.

(mostly over supply and keeping people informed)

NolbertoS

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Planned way ahead of time.

I would be interested in knowing what rationale exists behind putting a product up, live, unannounced, when most of the market for it is asleep.

Like alot of people have stated in past pages, BB seems to have wanted to avoid bots crashing there servers, scalpers not being able to pre-order live, and seems like most scalpers are in the East coast, just a wild guess as It was 1:30am EST when BB released these

The Ummah

Banned
Accordinf to Wario, Target, GS and Walmart will also get SNES Classics, so don't fret with just Amazon and BB

There will be others. I was fortunate with the NES Classic...I was looking at my phone with the notification popped up, and purchased it within 20 seconds. In 2017.

Just keep your eyes open, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks guys. I'm still waiting to jump as soon as I get the notification. Luckily it's a slow day at the office. Having flashbacks of last year's craziness and boosted prices with the NES, doing my best to avoid that this time!

Truly, what would it take to get NoA to offer a factual, detailed answer on why they make preorders so difficult? Obviously they love the demand factor, and the "hype" that surrounds it, but it feels so incredibly disingenuous and shitty to their fans.

They don't care about your feelings. They've got good product that sells like hotcakes, makes their investors happy, and keeps their name in your mouth.

It does suck no doubt, and I do feel you since I've purchased nearly every single one of their systems (not iterations), but I know that the whole schtick about caring is a farce.

This is insane. It's 2017. Social Media is 2 seconds of work. Informing your customers takes 2 seconds of work. How is this still a thing?
If you give a set time & date, you guarantee these sites crash under the weight of people constantly refreshing to get the first stab at stock. Random drops at least ensure servers stay alive.

Ticket sales for live events announce their ticket drop dates months in advance, and they've got worse issues than this.

mjc

Like alot of people have stated in past pages, BB seems to have wanted to avoid bots crashing there servers, scalpers not being able to pre-order live, and seems like most scalpers are in the East coast, just a wild guess as It was 1:30am EST when BB released these

I mean, its not a catch all but keeping orders to a 1 per person is a good start.

shandy706

Huh?

Well, if they were all asleep...there shouldn't be any on ebay. LOL

I thin kthat only works with companies who give a shit about consumer feedback.

You have a point.

PMS341

They don't care about your feelings. They've got good product that sells like hotcakes, makes their investors happy, and keeps their name in your mouth.

It does suck no doubt, and I do feel you since I've purchased nearly every single one of their systems (not iterations), but I know that the whole schtick about caring is a farce.

Nintendo owner since the NES, and the facade of caring is truly nonexistent. This device, along with the NES Classic, was made purely with profits and shareholders in mind. Just a shame to see such corporate greed.

Top Bottom