• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

IT'S DONE...FUCK.

I spent like an hour and a half to download all the small box files via FTP, flip them 90 degree with PAINT because Photo thinks the size is too small, and then replace all those files via FTP again to have the boxes on the side to have more in a single page.

The moment I tried multiple pages, it turned me off immediately, the sorting options are page-exclusive, it's like the whole console restarts for a new page, shit triggered my OCD in all sort of ways, I had no choice. :lol

End result is beautiful though, not touching anything again for a while since syncing new games in will fuck up everything I did.
I did this as well, though I also resized the *_small.png icons to 22x31 after flipping them 90° counter clockwise (down from 28x40) so I can fit a total of (I think) 54 games on the screen in line... I've got 49 installed now; I'm saving some slots in case they get some of the games that aren't currently compatible running with a later update... I agree, the end result is worth the work... it looks pretty cool...

pitt_norton

I also think that the USA boxart for Tiny Toons Wacky Sports Challenge is atrocious....

HfbB5nW.png

So I remade a version using the PAL/JPN coverart for the game, I tried to capture the spirit of the Japanese cover. Sorry about the limited source material but use if you so desire...

CObMFYx.png

Sorry it's not at the correct size spec.. adjust at your discretion!

Catvoca

Banned
Got my mini in the mail today and I had it for all of 10 minutes before I plugged it into my laptop and hacked it lol. Thanks to the OP for the instructions, between that and reddit it made the process really pain free for someone with no experience doing this stuff.

Rirse

Neo Member
Could someone make a better Link to the Past Randomizer box? The one I made is just the lttp box with black/green text saying Randomizer on it.

qr4Mucm.jpg

Coketruck

I know this has probably been covered, but the internet at the hotel I'm currently staying at is spotty, which makes searching difficult:

After Retroarch is installed on the SNES Classic, do you specify which games use it versus use the default emulator, or does Retroarch just run every game automatically and the default emulator isn't used at all? I ask because Terranigma had no sound on the default emulator and still has no sound even after installing Retroarch, so I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks!

Robin64

I know this has probably been covered, but the internet at the hotel I'm currently staying at is spotty, which makes searching difficult:

After Retroarch is installed on the SNES Classic, do you specify which games use it versus the default emulator, or does Retroarch just run every game automatically and the default emulator isn't used at all? I ask because Terranigma had no sound on the default emulator and still has no sound even after installing Retroarch, so I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks!

Add --retroarch to the command line in hakchi (where it says for advanced users only)

Bump for the new page.

Not a huge deal, just wondering.

There is a way, and I've seen it in one the various SNES Mini threads on here.. But where the hell is it now..

I also think that the USA boxart for Tiny Toons Wacky Sports Challenge is atrocious....

HfbB5nW.png

So I remade a version using the PAL/JPN coverart for the game, I tried to capture the spirit of the Japanese cover. Sorry about the limited source material but use if you so desire...

CObMFYx.png

Sorry it's not at the correct size spec.. adjust at your discretion!

You're right about it being atrocious

And yours is awesome

Robin64

Happy you're covering that style of border, DarkGiygas! :)

Do you have a central post you can keep editing as you add borders? Then I can add you to the OP along with myself and Dimentios.

WildZero

Any western box art for Ganbare Goemon 2 & 3?

I managed to find a Goemon 2 box someone else had made & knocked three together myself. They're a bit quick & dirty, but I'm pretty happy with them. (It's my first try at making boxart...)

Goemon 2 Alt.

vTJae4e.png

Goemon 2

YTDoon7.png

Goemon 3

VQFzvvY.png

Goemon 4

8o8Tr9b.png

hey so with roms, i've got the 2017 nba JAM te hack, if i put that and nba JAM vanilla on classic, it's going to crossave or no? i don't want that

SNES Classic does this natively, doesn't it? When you reset and create a save state, don't all those save states have time played stamps on them?

Any idea if this aggregates over sessions? I don't mind throwing a save state down at the end of a session, but if it only accounts for the current session would be more trouble than it is worth to keep track of it.

Anyone else with a SFAM Mini? I have run into a problem. The No Intro US ROMs for Link to the Past and Secret of Mana both C7. Original Japanese language versions work fine. The Secret of Mana (Variable Width Font) patched version works. Anyone else confirmed Zelda is a C7?

SOLDIER

Asking these again. I know it’s a lot of questions but they’re currently the ones in my mind:

1. Can someone make a custom boxart for Fire Pro Wrestling X?

2. What are some games that still have issues, even when using Retroarch?

3. Can someone post instructions on how to get Retroarch working (and how to add games to it)?

4. Anyone using the Secret of Mana font width patch? I’m trying it out, and the only issue I’m seeing is that text on the menu screen (such as when naming your character and looking at stats) is blurry, while all NPC and other outside text is fine. Is there a way to fix this, or is this the same issue plaguing other games?

5. Live A Live has a real neat premise, but I’m not sure if I’m feeling the gameplay: I gave the Ninja storyline a shot first, and I’m frustrated how there’s no real way to tell the difference between an enemy you can beat versus one that will one shot you in an instant. Between that and checking for secret doors to advance, the whole thing feels a bit arbitrary even by classic RPG standards.

In regards to the other JPN exclusive Square games, how would you rank them?

6. Did the people who made Metal Warriors also work on Cybernator, or plagirized them? I never played either game, but I’m surprised how similar they are to both concept and gameplay. They might as well be sequels.

7. Yo, Hagane is rad. How did this pass me by? I would love marked all over it as a kid.

8. What do you consider to be the best competitive Tetris game? Same question for other non-fighting games that feature 2 player competitions.

Robin64

4. Anyone using the Secret of Mana font width patch? I’m trying it out, and the only issue I’m seeing is that text on the menu screen (such as when naming your character and looking at stats) is blurry, while all NPC and other outside text is fine. Is there a way to fix this, or is this the same issue plaguing other games?

This is the hi-res bug the is plaguing lots of things. Only stock Secret of Mana on the SNES Mini seems to be able to enable hi-res mode, we can't figure out how to turn it on for anything else.

Shifty1897

2. What are some games that still have issues, even when using Retroarch?

Secret of Mana 2 runs with slowdown, that's all I know of.

3. Can someone post instructions on how to get Retroarch working (and how to add games to it)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMtLL2PqawU

This is a pretty good tutorial.

8. What do you consider to be the best competitive Tetris game? Same question for other non-fighting games that feature 2 player competitions.

The Giant Bomb crew turned me onto Tetris Battle Gaiden, but most of my friends are more interested in Tetris Attack.

This is the hi-res bug the is plaguing lots of things. Only stock Secret of Mana on the SNES Mini seems to be able to enable hi-res mode, we can't figure out how to turn it on for anything else.

There's got to be a way. I mean, are there any differences (at a hex editor level) between the official SoM rom and one gotten via other means?

Robin64

There's got to be a way. I mean, are there any differences (at a hex editor level) between the official SoM rom and one gotten via other means?

Nope.

But there is a patch that gets loaded into memory when Secret of Mana launches (In fact there's a memory patch for almost every game), so it's probably related to that.

tuco11

Might be dumb question. If I have a second SNES mini that I want to add more games to. Do I have to dump its original kernal also? Or if I just connect it to the pc it is good to go since I already did the first one?

thanks.

Robin64

Hakchi 2.21b will shortly be released. Those who use the web installer will be given an option to upgrade already, and those with manual folders will be able to get it here when it's up.

Now uses symbolic links to keep the original game size much smaller, freeing up about 80mb.
Warns when a game isn't compatible, such as Terranigma.
Fixes some games automatically that needed manual fixes before, such as Goof Troop.

XaosWolf

Hakchi 2.21b will shortly be released. Those who use the web installer will be given an option to upgrade already, and those with manual folders will be able to get it here when it's up.

Now uses symbolic links to keep the original game size much smaller, freeing up about 80mb.
Fixes some games automatically that needed manual fixes before, such as Goof Troop.

Awesome! Can't access the link here at work, but did that Remove Thumbnails fix make it in?

Mr. Hyde

That's Awesome. Web installer doesn't work for me so I will wait for the manual update.

Joqu

Does the update fix Street Fighter Alpha 2 or is that manual fix more complicated than what Hackchi will handle for you?

Excellent, thanks for the news about Hakchi 2.21b!

Sounds like this release is mostly UX and ROM related, doesn't sound like we need to reflash the custom kernel this time?

I use the portable version of hakchi and when a new release comes out I just extract the zipfile over top of the version I've already been using, overwriting all applicable files. Is this an OK way to upgrade?

ReyVGM

Asking these again. I know it's a lot of questions but they're currently the ones in my mind:

6. Did the people who made Metal Warriors also work on Cybernator, or plagirized them? I never played either game, but I'm surprised how similar they are to both concept and gameplay. They might as well be sequels.

6) For a long time people did think Metal Warriors was a sequel to Cybernator since both were published by Konami in the USA. There was even some misinformation for years that Metal Warriors was called Assault Suits Gideon in Japan, as it if were part of the Assault Suits series (where Cybernator comes from). But it was all wrong. Metal Warriors was made by former Lucasarts devs, the same people that made Zombies ate my Neighbors.

7) Tetris Attack, even if it doesn't have anything to do with Tetris. But it's the best puzzle game ever made (with awesome catchy music). Once you learn how it works, it becomes super addicting and you'll even play it in your dreams.

xHiryu

wait so since you put retroarch on the mini does that mean you could play nes, snes and even gba games on the system ?

also can you assign borders to a specific game or is it universal?

been eyeing a mini for so long but not willing to drop over $100 on it

ParityBit

To update (standalone, not web installer) hakchi:
- download new hakchi:
- unzip it into existing hakchi folder, overwriting anything it asks about
New version of hakchi is now installed, all of your existing ROMs etc should all still be there, starting hakchi with the newly installed hakchi should still list all your games

To update snes mini:
- start hakchi
- optional paranoia step - make sure you still have your kernel dump by looking in the hakchi/dump folder
- super optional super paranoia step - dump your kernel again
- select kernel menu option -> uninstall
- select kernel menu option -> flash original kernel (you'll be prompted to anyway)
at this point you should have: factory clean snesmini with original games, and all the games you added listed in hakchi but not on the snes mini
- select kernel menu option -> flash custom kernel
- wait for it to power cycle and connect back to hakchi
- synchronise selected games with snes mini button (assuming all your games are checkmarked)

You should now have updated hakchi, updated firmware, and all the games you originally had back on there, along with any saves and savestates

For retroarch stuff, I can'thelp - I'm boring and this is a SNES mini with SNEs games I own on it, and thats its only job

This is a good time quote this. This is what we will want to do to move to the new version? My question is do we need to do "optional paranoia step" and "super optional super paranoia step" if we have the original kernel saved off someplace?

mibm

aka funkky
Nope.

But there is a patch that gets loaded into memory when Secret of Mana launches (In fact there's a memory patch for almost every game), so it's probably related to that.

Do we know what triggers the patch to load? Head info from the game?

Mr. Hyde

Hmm. I am getting Exception of type 'com.clusterrr.FelLib.FelParseException' was thrown when I go to update my custom kernel in the new hakchi.

Edit: I guess I will keep using my portable version until the non web installer update comes out. It is throwing off my library it seems.

Top Bottom