• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

T.O.P

Banned
Messing around with making borders and made an SNES box one

raocBMN.png

Link is here if anyone wants to try it out

Yeah, found my border :)

OctaviusZarda

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there is a way to carry your save over from the different parts of BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets? I have all four “weeks” downloaded to my Super NES Classic but so far it seems that I can’t carry my stuff over from one “week” to the next.

Fjordson

Apologies if I've missed this, but is there a way to have the borders show with games running through Retroarch? Even just the default borders?

DonMigs85

Question, if you delete a game from Hackchi that you had synced before, it also gets deleted from the SNES when you resync right? Don't want any leftover files

Robin64

Question, if you delete a game from Hackchi that you had synced before, it also gets deleted from the SNES when you resync right? Don't want any leftover files

Yep, aside from the save files.

And if you want to get rid of those too, use hakchi's save manager.

traveler

Not Wario
Hmm. I kind of want to handle all of this in one go, but Illusion of Gaia isn't supported yet.

If I go ahead and start playing my classic now, will I potentially lose suspend points/save data later when attempting to hack it?

Fjordson

Hmm. I kind of want to handle all of this in one go, but Illusion of Gaia isn't supported yet.

If I go ahead and start playing my classic now, will I potentially lose suspend points/save data later when attempting to hack it?
IoG runs perfectly with Retroarch.

RaginRoss

I think the only things i'm waiting on are The Firemen and Uniracers/Unirally.

I also messed up by following a tutorial that didn't mention dumping the kernel - unless hackchi automatically did it for me and i've just not found where it put it. Not planning to mess with it much more unless there's an update that fixes the above games (or I eventually get bored and use RetroArch) so hopefully i'm fairly safe.

Robin64

Street Fighter Alpha 2 now runs natively on the SNES Mini.

Download this file and follow the instructions in the readme.txt!

Credit goes to DarkAkuma.

But if you were hoping for Star Ocean as a result of this...

I'll quickly address another topic, as I'm sure I'm going to be asked about it. Star Ocean. Any hope?

I'm afraid to say... not much. As I said, SDD-1 isn't emulated. It's bypassed. The issue boils down to the same issue as other non-chipped games. Preset ID's. If any known preset ID worked with the Japanese compressed Star Ocean, it would play with broken graphics. But that's not the case. It doesn't play at all. Black screens and C7 errors only. Sadly this means the same for the decompressed hack. If the base game won't play at all, decompressing the graphics won't fix it that.

XaosWolf

I also messed up by following a tutorial that didn't mention dumping the kernel - unless hackchi automatically did it for me and i've just not found where it put it. Not planning to mess with it much more unless there's an update that fixes the above games (or I eventually get bored and use RetroArch) so hopefully i'm fairly safe.

Whats up with The Firemen? Works fine as far as I've seen.

I keep getting a C8 error whenever I turn off my mini. Checked around and people say that happens when you hit 60 games or above. I only have 50 games on this though so I have no idea why it's happening.

Granted I can just shut it off by unplugging it but I'd rather not do that every time.

Acidote

Street Fighter Alpha 2 now runs natively on the SNES Mini.

Download this file and follow the instructions in the readme.txt!

Credit goes to DarkAkuma.

I don't understand how this would work. Do those .bin files get "injected" in the rom when you apply the .ips patch? Or you load them into hakchi2 in a zip whit all those files inside? I can't check it now and I'm curious about it.

Have you tried the US version of the Firemen? AFAIK it’s 100% complete but it’s labelled as a proto

Robin64

I don't understand how this would work. Do those .bin files get "injected" in the rom when you apply the .ips patch? Or you load them into hakchi2 in a zip whit all those files inside? I can't check it now and I'm curious about it.

I'm at work and can't do it myself right now, but I would imagine the .bin files get appended to the end of the ROM and then the header points to where this data begins and ends.

angelic

Banned
Made some boxarts for the games I'm adding that I've not seen on here. Here they are if anyone wants them, all US covers 228x160, JP covers 88x160.

DQaX7o2.jpg

a68jZHO.jpg

HJbE6HJ.jpg

F9MU4So.jpg

t8eT0ne.jpg

xsg7pqM.jpg

UMxBpWL.jpg

qbSphH2.jpg

mHY86B9.jpg

PAILN0e.jpg

CFByWu0.jpg

yah5A65.jpg

g5Dd16R.jpg

WD8Bqpf.jpg

uBmhS0a.jpg

Zolbrod

I think hakchi prompts you to dump the kernel the first time you try to synch new games, so you're probably good.

RaginRoss

Legendary Wizball said:
Have you tried the US version of the Firemen? AFAIK it’s 100% complete but it’s labelled as a proto

Cool thanks, will give that a try later.

Zolbrod said:
I think hakchi prompts you to dump the kernel the first time you try to synch new games, so you're probably good.

Ah ok. I'll have a look when I get home. Thanks!

Serge84

Neo Member
Cluster said on gbx.ru, that SNES Mini partition nande size 64 megabytes, and is not used at all. He wrote a script that transfers saving there, resulting in more space for games.

Robin64

I'm assuming that includes the rewind data too then. (Which is also for the demo playback)

It does, yeah. Interestingly, you can see the rewind period to 0 in the command line for a game and it will keep recording til you fill up the remaining space on your SNES Mini.

So i asked the question if theres a possibility that Ilussion of Time could work in the future (as its the only game i really want right now) in page 5 but nobody answered me.
Now im reading it works with something called retroarch but ive read rewinds dont work (also saves?) And i really dont know if its better to wait.
Is there a good easy tutorial for putting retroarch and ilussion of time on the super nes mini? im terrible at this things if i dont have easy steps process lol

So i asked the question if theres a possibility that Ilussion of Time could work in the future (as its the only game i really want right now) in page 5 but nobody answered me.
Now im reading it works with something called retroarch but ive read rewinds dont work (also saves?) And i really dont know if its better to wait.
Is there a good easy tutorial for putting retroarch and ilussion of time on the super nes mini? im terrible at this things if i dont have easy steps process lol

When it doubt, turn to reddit

There's a full guide there

Robin64

So, how safe is this to do? Polygon said something in their article about this possibly breaking my SNES Classic

Their article was written back when we had to do things mostly manually. Now that hakchi is out and updated, breaking your SNES Classic would be be very hard.

So do we think there will be any major changes/additions/etc. to this tool or the modding scene? Me and my wife are trying to start a family and I would love to load my miniSNES with some of my favorite games for the kids, but I'm in no rush if some other features may come down the line...

LOUD915

So do we think there will be any major changes/additions/etc. to this tool or the modding scene? Me and my wife are trying to start a family and I would love to load my miniSNES with some of my favorite games for the kids, but I'm in no rush if some other features may come down the line...

go ahead and do it.

these are like $80 even if you want to buy a new one.

its not exactly a big purchase compared to having a kid.

go ahead and do it.

these are like $80 even if you want to buy a new one.

its not exactly a big purchase compared to having a kid.

Oh it's not about price... I just figure that once I'm done messing around with the games on the system I'll mod the thing and then store it away in a closet for a few years until kids are old enough. But I didn't know if the original developer was thinking of adding new features or is the tool today pretty much "feature complete" Because I'll never remember to go back and update this tool in like 3 - 5 years.

I'll probably take this out of the closet and be like "dang, can't believe the miniSNES came with 100 of the best games, totally forgetting I added them myself, lol.

Robin64

Oh it's not about price... I just figure that once I'm done messing around with the games on the system I'll mod the thing and then store it away in a closet for a few years until kids are old enough. But I didn't know if the original developer was thinking of adding new features or is the tool today pretty much "feature complete" Because I'll never remember to go back and update this tool in like 3 - 5 years.

I'll probably take this out of the closet and be like "dang, can't believe the miniSNES came with 100 of the best games, totally forgetting I added them myself, lol.

There are some additional things you can do beyond the program, such as borders, but we have no idea if Cluster plans to implement them at all. Just go ahead and start now.

Top Bottom