• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snowstorm to kick off spring in northeastern US

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Originally posted by Ananas:

650x366_03171850_hd27-1.jpg

This one materialized quickly.

post-12088-1458245972_thumb.png

EPS Model

Link.

Colder air will plunge into the northeastern United States and set the stage for a snowstorm in part of the region from Sunday into Monday.

The exact track of the storm is dependent on a number of variables, which have yet to fall into place. However, the storm is likely to track close enough to the Atlantic coast to bring accumulating snow to the Interstate 95 corridor.

This map shows the anticipated accumulation on non-paved surfaces. The accumulation on roads may be significantly lower, especially in the mid-Atlantic.

"There has only been one storm that turned out to sea this winter, so we are fairly confident this one is coming up near the coast," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Bernie Rayno said.

"A true shot of arctic air, impressive for March, will push southward and set the stage this weekend," Rayno said. "For areas that get into the arctic air, this will be primarily a snow event."

The approximate southern edge of the arctic air will be between Richmond, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.

The storm will gradually strengthen while traveling northeastward near the coast during Sunday and Monday.

The amount of snow that falls will depend on the storm intensity as it passes by.

During the day Sunday, the storm will be relatively weak. Some of the snow that falls will melt on warm, paved surfaces in the mid-Atlantic. The storm can be mixed with rain for a time in the coastal mid-Atlantic.

As the storm begins to strengthen during Sunday night, the rate of snow may be heavy enough to make for slippery conditions in the mid-Atlantic, before dry air sweeps in.

"The best setup for a nor'easter with heavy snow will be farther to the northeast," Rayno said.

The rate of snow is likely to ramp up significantly near New York City during Sunday night.

"If the storm develops to its full potential, then a blizzard could evolve in part of New England," Rayno said.

Since the storm will be strengthening while impacting New England, it could bring heavy snow, increasing wind and building seas with worsening travel conditions.

The bulk of the storm will affect New England Sunday night into early Monday, when road surface temperatures will be at their lowest.

The amount of snow expected to fall near and west of the I-95 mid-Atlantic cities is not set in stone at this point as there are many factors that will come into play.

AccuWeather will continue to provide updates on the storm, including the extent and amount of snow and coastal problems as more information becomes available.

Rather than cold weather locking in for an extended stay, temperatures will rebound next week and will cause the snow that falls to rapidly melt.

Futureman

It was 70 degrees at my party on 12/26 in Pittsburgh so I guess whatever. It's gonna be cold this weekend and then back to above average temps next week.

_woLf

It's been really cold in the Seattle area recently, too. Whiteouts in the mountains east of us, frost on the ground on a lot of the mornings. It's rather unusual for this time of year.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
It seems that this is how winter ends every year. For the final few weeks, just as it's starting to get warm, he comes back, kicks you in the dick and scurries away not to veer it's ugly head for another few months.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man, come on! Seriously? It was all nice out the last two weeks and now this shit? Someone's fucking with me.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
This shit always happens in March, at least for Colorado. We're getting dumped on right now. It's been way to nice outside lately anyways. I went camping last weekend ffs.

vikki

ShiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiT!!! I'm traveling up to NH from NY this weekend. Not sure if I can convince my wife to head back on Monday night instead of Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom