• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
panda21 said:
Hyosung <3
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KISnP.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/q9QUC.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ccqjN.jpg[/IMG]

new hair color? finally >_<

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Mmmmm... Secret legs...

A little Nicole for your viewing pleasure:
inxvKa.jpg

Salazar

wing_zero8556 said:
even allkpop has an article about her weight loss.

Allkpop will run an article on anything, but the more media fuss the better.

Yuri's curves coming back would be a great, great thing.

Salazar said:
Allkpop will run an article on anything, but the more media fuss the better.

Yuri's curves coming back would be a great, great thing.

true, anything about korean stuff is on there

yuri isnt my favourite but definitely hope she gains a bit of weight back though i doubt SME(vil) is gonna allow it

vanty

How can people prefer long hair Sooyoung to short hair I'll never understand. Makes her look even skinnier, and just less attractive overall. Back when her hair was short in the Hello Baby days she was at her best, especially the earlier episodes when she seemed to have a tan for some reason.

Dice

akskiller said:
It's still all about Yoona, Tiffany and Sunny for me. The three of them are such sweeties that just make me happy, and Sunny does so with the additional "like a boss" quality.

vanty said:
How can people prefer long hair Sooyoung to short hair I'll never understand. Makes her look even skinnier, and just less attractive overall. Back when her hair was short in the Hello Baby days she was at her best, especially the earlier episodes when she seemed to have a tan for some reason.
I second this entire opinion.

Dice

Xilium said:
It's probably in reference to the Running Man variety show.
Yeah, but why change it to balls? It's not a saying or anything, so the only conclusion is a bit... graphic... for kpop.

Xilium

Dice said:
Yeah, but why change it to balls? It's not a saying or anything, so the only conclusion is a bit... graphic... for kpop.
Well the running balls are the things that the members of the show are competing for. As to why they used that instead of running man...it's GAF. They like playing around with the thread titles.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, I'm creeped out.

Dice

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Well, I'm creeped out.
Feelings are interesting. I wonder what views and underlying assumptions, both conscious and subconscious, are involved to result in this.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Do you guys think the weeaboo era is coming to an end, with Koreaboo coming in as a replacement? Every few years, Hallyu comes and goes, but it seems like it's here to stay this time. There are so many Koreaboos o_O

Xilium

Aruarian Reflection said:
Do you guys think the weeaboo era is coming to an end, with Koreaboo coming in as a replacement? Every few years, Hallyu comes and goes, but it seems like it's here to stay this time. There are so many Koreaboos o_O
I think weeaboo's as a whole have always been more centered around otaku culture. So they are more about anime, manga, video games, and anything related to those. They are more into, what they would refer to as, 2D idols (drawn/animated characters). Obviously there are those that are more interested in music or Japanese culture in general but I think they've always been the minority.

In other words, you'll find most of your GAF weeaboos in the manga/anime threads and on the gaming side (Visual Novel thread for instance).

Dice

Aruarian Reflection said:
Digital media has allowed it to flourish, and it gained a momentum to improve production values to a truly competitive level. In terms of continuing to flourish, it's hard to tell what the limit is before over-saturation starts to hurt more than it helps. Insofar as idol groups go, I don't think they will last. Group frenzy has always come and gone in music from many different cultures, so I don't see why it would last in Korea.

As for koreaboos, the phenomenon seems to mostly be kids, and they should grow out of it. For some it may end up becoming a more genuine, serious interest and dedication to Korea as a culture and country, while with others it will be just some weird obsessive phase they went through. Korea is still kind of self-isolated, so I think for some Koreans it is hard to tell the difference between these two or even when they can easily, to feel much differently about them anyway.

I say this because I started in it as the former and only got into kpop through my Korean friends because I love music in general. Kpop is rather small to me, and I really care more about the culture and country in a general sense, prefer just sharing life with my Korean friends and also older folk from the Korean church I attend. Some of the younger Koreans I know have asked me why I took an interest in Korea, and their attitude seemed like they had no idea why an outsider would ever care, or even for some reason that they shouldn't ever care. I guess because of the nature of the culture and the attitudes typically shown to them, it is understandable, yet it shouldn't be seen as any different from them coming to the US, and in reality it isn't.

Some friends came here for school and grad school and I saw them go through phases of familiarity with this culture and deliberate on whether it was where they wanted to be. I've seen some go back saying Korea is their home they can't leave, and others stay here. Such individuals are more understanding of my interest in Korea than younger ones who are here because their parents moved here, yet those parents and others like them who made a permanent move here completely get why and how I can have a serious interest in another country such as Korea, and they are glad about it.

I kind of lost track of where I was going with all this, but I guess I'm saying that the whole koreaboo issue is just like any other interest. You can have an extensive knowledge of something while still only having moderate interest and a balanced life focus. For some people, however, they get so fixated on something because it is novel to them, and it can become creepy. With some people, these things happen with foreign culture, yet with plenty of other people it happens with things of local culture. Whether here or there, it is odd behavior, but some people being crazy about something doesn't automatically invalidate it as something of value and also shouldn't make you feel like you can't appreciate it without being crazy yourself.

Fafnir

Uggh what's up with the wack thread title change? Should have at least kept SNSD in the title instead of a reference to a variety show that will be off the air by this time next year.

Fany says no thanks to the thread title change.
2IENz.gif
K073q.gif

9v0Zi.gif
iizcH.gif
o1mv0.gif

41Zf7.gif
6aWQY.gif

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, Yuri's transformation is Lohan-esque, right down to the off-putting hair color.

It's OK though, since the Sooyoung renaissance is upon us.

tumblr_ll53btbFYw1qa8g36o1_500.gif

tumblr_ll54jlrZBz1qb5417.gif

Xilium

lunlunqq said:
Do you guys see something funny in this pic?
It looks like Taeyeon is checking out Yuri and the two guys behind Taeyeon are checking her out and the guy on the far right is checking Yoona(?) out.

panda21

ahh this thread title is confusing. it would be much more appropriate for the other thread

it also makes no sense with the OP (but please don't delete the OP!!)

lunlunqq

Xilium said:
It looks like Taeyeon is checking out Yuri and the two guys behind Taeyeon are checking her out and the guy on the far right is checking Yoona(?) out.

hehe, if you see the actual vid it's even funnier... how all guys behind them had their eyes fixed on their rears... haha

Amir0x

Banned
alright it was requested I change it by topic maker but now I'll change it back. Last time I stick my head into the awful, bizarre world of K-Pop...

...thread topic titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom