• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh...is anyone playing Red Faction: Armageddon? |OT by default|

Leucrota

Played the hell out of RFG, but the destruction is overall not that massive. Very few big buildings or bridges.

Honestly, I really liked the demo for Armageddon because the destruction is more in your face and close to you and useful in destroying enemies, whereas in RFG, you mostly fought out in the open and destroyed buildings randomly than for any real strategic purpose.

RFG was real desolate, but Amrageddon seems to be real dense and have a lot more destruction.

scy

Chiggs said:
2nan2b7.jpg

I hope this is the start of a new trend for future |OT|s.

Chiggs

Gold Member
PatMcAtee said:
RFG was real desolate, but Amrageddon seems to be real dense and have a lot more destruction.

I'm about 70% done with Armageddon, and I do freely admit that some of the destruction in the game is pretty stunning, even disorienting. But that's sort of my problem...it's sometimes really hard to marvel at the damage you're causing because it's so dark and cramped. You can easily lose your bearings, too.

Tarin02543

Demo on PSN was laughable.

Guerrila is one of my favourite ps3 games and I've just bought the 2,5 € steam version to play again in glorious resolution and framerate.

Weenerz

Banned
I bought it from Steam, but I must admit it was mostly for the TF2 item (I have an addiction). I also wanted it for the challenge mode, I liked that mode from RFG, and the Quick Look from GB made it look fun. But there are only 5 maps with challenge mode, wtf!

GhostBlade

Neo Member
RedStep said:
Instead, they built an entire game that nobody will play. RFG was a slow burner, an enhanced sequel would have had great sales. My friends all picked it up months after release.

Slow burner? I tried for months to play online, it was my favorite game to play online, and I got nothing. I beat Armageddon a couple weeks ago and loved it. It reminds me of so many games before it. Everyone rips it when it releases, then it goes on sale, everyone buys it, and then wonders why no sequels are made.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GhostBlade said:
Slow burner? I tried for months to play online, it was my favorite game to play online, and I got nothing. I beat Armageddon a couple weeks ago and loved it. It reminds me of so many games before it. Everyone rips it when it releases, then it goes on sale, everyone buys it, and then wonders why no sequels are made.

I played RF:G about a year or so after release and had no problems finding games on Xbox Live the 10 or 15 times I tried it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Red Faction: Guerrilla ---> Red Faction: Armageddon

Open World ---> Liner Corridor shooter
Do anything you want ---> Just Shoot space spiders.
Viva la Revolution story ---> Shut up and kill space spiders
EDF,Marauders,Miners ---> Small Space spiders, Big space spiders
One of best Competitive Multiplayer ever ---> Nope
720p Native resolution ---> 540p , dat almost PAL SD res.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Totobeni said:
Red Faction: Guerrilla ---> Red Faction: Armageddon

Open World ---> Liner Corridor shooter
Do anything you want ---> Just Shoot space spiders.
Viva La Revelation story ---> Shut up and kill space spiders
EDF,Marauders,Miners ---> Small Space spiders, Big space spiders
One of best Competitive Multiplayer ever ---> Nope
720p Native resolution ---> 540p , dat almost PAL SD res.

Hey, you get to shoot generic cultists, too!

PatMcAtee said:
Played the hell out of RFG, but the destruction is overall not that massive. Very few big buildings or bridges.

Honestly, I really liked the demo for Armageddon because the destruction is more in your face and close to you and useful in destroying enemies, whereas in RFG, you mostly fought out in the open and destroyed buildings randomly than for any real strategic purpose.

That was a big problem I had with it. That and the lack of variety in side missions. I basically gave up on doing those within an hour of the game.

I did enjoy Guerrilla, though, but I'm happy with the linear direction they took with Armageddon. I'm still undecided on how I feel about the aliens. I figured they'd eventually go in that direction since it's on Mars and everything but I prefer the whole "rebelling against a higher power" angle.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Darklord said:
They removed everything I pretty much care about Guerrilla so no, I'll just reinstall that.

I played it yesterday, there were healthy amount of people playing Team Anarchy ( less in Anarchy Free For All), still freaking fun like ever.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
jaundicejuice said:
I'm curious, was Red Faction: Guerrilla the first Red Faction many of you played?

It was for me, so I understand why people who played Red Faction 1 and 2 probably wanted a more linear, FPS experience than what they got in RFG. I wanted more of RFG in its sequel, instead of a return to RF1 and RF2, which is why I'm waiting on RFA until it hits $20.

I've played them all and I still remember how much joy I had blowing giant holes in Mars for no other reason than that I could.

As for RF:A, I'm about to get
inside the Descent-type craft and blow the shit out of everything.
The main character, Darius, has been hit and miss for me and I still hope for a different outfit on Kara every time I see her. But I have enjoyed the game so far. There is a cool bit of upgrading in the game and I freakin' love the weapon set this time around. That magnetic gun just makes me feel happy in all my private places. Sometimes, when I'm tearing down the very walls on top of a few bugs I get the feeling that this is how Anakin turned to the dark side. The power is seductive and sweet.

I'm also going to school here in Champaign, IL and I'm glad to see any good work come out of Volition, Inc.

Rolf NB

jaundicejuice said:
I'm curious, was Red Faction: Guerrilla the first Red Faction many of you played?
I played the first two Red Faction games as well. But that ship has sailed. I feel it's been a mistake to try and go back to that style of game. There are dozens of other games that are better wrt the shooting mechanics and level design. The destruction just doesn't enhance the experience all that much.

jaundicejuice said:
I played the first one a little bit (didn't own it, a friend did.) Honestly if they had gone back to first person and made terrain deformation underground the main hook, and left aliens out of it, I would have been more OK with that than what they did with this game.

AgentOtaku said:
Played some more:

Yes, the playground-combat set pieces are the main hook here (at least I haven't hit the Descent sections yet) and they're huge fucking fun! ....the problem is that it's a game that what you put into it is what you get out of it. If you want to run into a combat scenario and just shoot da aliens and move on, you can do that ...but it's gonna be fairly boring.

USE EVERYTHING IN YOUR ARSENAL!

The magnet gun, your nano force push, your hammer. There is enough there along with the environments that you use against the enemy on a continual bases, that you will never get bored. Your creativity is the limit.

Once again let me reiterate how much i'm enjoying the music. It's like a cross between ambient electronica and a very faint hit of something like Vangelis. It's pretty understated, but freaking good and REALLY set's the tone. Much more than the music in Guerilla EVER did.

Also, i'm really loving the cramped, cavernous environments. Ominous, alien, and foreboding.
I think this game FEELS Sci-fi through and through. Volition represent!

This game deserves a proper thread, not a condescending one with people queing up to just shit on the game and not give it a chance...

Completely agree - especially with last statement. I picked it up on a whim yesterday while grabbing Infamous 2 and was prepared to be ho hum about it but I'm really enjoying it. Douchey comments in this thread are mostly from folks just wanting to bash the game for what it isn't. Their loss - I'm glad I gave it a chance.

It's a shame that Volition might have mis-fired here, not with the game they produced but with deciding to not go the usual route of trying to please the masses by just rehashing the same game with a 2 on it (ie Crackdown 2). Funny that many of the elitists around here rail against the DudeBro yearly rehashes while shitting on other developers for not doing the same.

It's a well done, fun game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
CloakedPuppet said:
It's a well done, fun game.

I think it's far more of a mixed bag than you're making it out to be.

The weapons are certainly a step up, but the gameplay in general is very stale and that's what's hurting it. Again, this isn't a bad game, but it's extremely disappointing...almost in a Deux Ex: Invisible War sort of way. Many gamers held Guerilla in high regard, which makes this that much more difficult to stomach.

This game simply isn't worth $49.99 or $59.99.

GhostBlade said:

It helps to play on an online service people actually use. I played RFG for months on Live with zero problems.

Chiggs said:
I think it's far more of a mixed bag than you're making it out to be.

The weapons are certainly a step up, but the gameplay in general is very stale and that's what's hurting it. Again, this isn't a bad game, but it's extremely disappointing...almost in a Deux Ex: Invisible War sort of way. Many gamers held Guerilla in high regard, which makes this that much more difficult to stomach.

This game simply isn't worth $49.99 or $59.99.

Well, I won't argue with your points as they're more thoughtful than most in this thread. Is it worth $59.99? That's definitely an "eye of the beholder" kind of question. There is certainly as much value here as other full priced titles but I get where some folks may feel that it's more of a budget release when compared with Guerilla's sandbox.

A difference of 10 or 20 dollars to me is not a big deal as I enjoy purchasing, on average, at least 1 or 2 full priced games a month. I realize that many folks are more budget minded and may want to consider it as a really fun and worthwhile rental.

Mesijs

Actually the singleplayer campaign is quite long. I'm at 45% and I've played around 5 hours I guess. Not sure though, but it's longer than you guys make it out to be.

It's not all in caves and I'm having way more fun above ground and also in the first level when you use the suit. It feels SO powerful and bad-ass.

Still, the gameplay is hindered by the closed encounters in the caves. I understand, in a way, that they make a linear game but why not in open environments? That's so much more fun! Just make it Far Cry-esque in that you have a linear path but you have quite some room to explore.

And the gameplay is also hindered by the ridiculously overpowered magnet gun. You barely use any other weapon because it's basically 1 shot 1 kill, and it can even fling the bigger enemies away. Playing the waves game I also realized that solely using the magnet gun in combination with the powerful shockwave is THE way to go, really.

this game reminds me of that bad shooter on the 360 from a few years ago with that gimmicky "create land and destroy land" gun mechanic. Too bad they effed up and didn't make a cool guerilla sequel.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I was so excited for this game pre-demo. It looked like Guerilla but with a different vibe and atmosphere. They didn't show or at least I didn't see enough gameplay to actually grasp how amazing it was but from what I've seen it was extremely impressive. Then I actually played the demo. It was stagnant and the game looks better than from what it plays. Stagnancy and repetition probably won't help the experience so I'll be waiting for it to hit 20 dollars.

Corto

I'll buy this game if only because of the Descent-like portion of it... Even if it is only a few minutes. I just have too much on my plate right now... But I'll get it.

elrechazao said:
this game reminds me of that bad shooter on the 360 from a few years ago with that gimmicky "create land and destroy land" gun mechanic. Too bad they effed up and didn't make a cool guerilla sequel.
I think everyone's trying to forget that 'Fracture' ever happened.

george_us

Net_Wrecker said:
They lost me when the lost the open world guerrilla fighting and made the protagonist a bald space dude fighting aliens.
As opposed to a bald dude fighting space marines like pretty much every game in the franchise?

Gonna pick this up tomorrow. Can't friggin' wait!

Beat it last night with a buddy of mine, posted a quick review elsewhere.

*MIGHT CONTAIN VERY SLIGHT SPOILERS*

Played through nearly all of it last night with a friend.

They kept the concepts of Guerrilla, but tried to move it underground, and the result was sadly a pretty lame one.

Blowing buildings up is still awesome, and the magnet gun is absolutely cool, but the pacing and dynamics of the gameplay just withered away in this one.

You run around caves, you shoot alien bug type things, you run around a makeshift colony/city, you shoot alien bug type things, rinse, repeat.

There was almost no deviation in this formula during the entire game. Every few hours there would be a vehicle segment where you were basically given god mode and the objective was just to hold down your "fire" button while moving from point a to point b. These usually happened right after the few "Boss" battles in the game.

I use the term loosely because aside from having more health, there wasn't anything really interesting or special about them. Only one of them really made use of the environment a bit more than normal, but it still didn't give you the sense that this was an important fight.

The graphics are pretty well done. The character models look good, the lighting is detailed, and the effects of the weapons are very satisfying. The audio is there, it's not bad, but it doesn't really stand out either. There was one track that had a very cyberpunk feel to it, almost straight out of Blade Runner or Tron. The voice acting was also fairly well done. Darius Mason (your character) has witty banter with his AI sidekick and you can tell that effort was put into reading the lines even if the script was dull and cheesy.

The biggest issues with the game are the fact that they didn't really expand upon their theme of destructibility. Armageddon felt more like a "sidegrade". The weapons were improved upon, and there are over a dozen of them in the SP, and they added a few extra moves and features that are related to the gravity/physics play, but at the same time the environments which you take part in destroying took a turn for the worse. They could have added another layer of physics manipulation, or even puzzles based around it, but instead they crammed the world of Guerrilla into a hallway shooter.

The game on its own merits is definitely good and playable. The story is utterly forgettable b-movie schlock, but it doesn't impact your experience in a negative way really, it's just "there". If you didn't know Guerrilla existed, you would probably be pretty impressed by this title, and for fans of Guerrilla, it's still an enjoyable romp through Mars' subterranean world (with a few surface missions here and there). Overall it's mostly disappointing to see them stay stagnant with the series after Guerrilla was such a pleasant surprise.

U2NUMB

Played it for 2 hours tonight (Got it from Gamefly). I am even more upset that there is no multiplayer because damn it.. the destruction and new weapons would have been so much fun online.

So far its a really solid single player and its fun but man this game could have been great with online.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Has anyone tried the coop mode yet? How is it? That seemed cool from the videos I saw, where it's like horde mode, but you also have to keep a structure from being destroyed?

Palmer_v1

So there's some kind of a co-op campaign? Could someone give me some details on that please? It's the only thing that might convince me to buy this now.

Palmer_v1 said:
So there's some kind of a co-op campaign? Could someone give me some details on that please? It's the only thing that might convince me to buy this now.
No co-op campaign. It's basically a horde mode.

Palmer_v1 said:

No. Just Infestation which is like Gears Horde mode.

Parch

I appreciate the honest responses instead of OT smoke blowing.
Looks like I need to find a bargain bin copy of Guerrila.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
akskiller said:
I found Guerrillas SP boring and bland after a while. Not saying this game looks better but eh.

Because it is. The SP Guerilla becomes IMMENSELY boring during the later half because it's the same structure as 10 hours prior, but now the enemy count has doubled and become more cheap. As I said in other threads, what keeps it tolerable is things like the jetpack and your creativity ....and playing it in smaller bursts. The story becomes almost non-existent until the very end and you're just running around as the space-asshole for so much of it.
They went for narrative and a more guided experience here and I'm enjoying. I don't feel like i'm forcing myself through the game, which is what happened in RF:G.

Top Bottom