• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

ViolentP

That's my thought as well... No real proof was shown that the serial number in question was indeed sent to the buyer. I hope it works out for you OP!

The correspondence is hopefully enough to prove that his initial claim the device had been banned means it was not broken when received by buyer.

hesido

I was going to say the same thing about the PS4. There's literally no proof that you sent him the "clean PS4", but he probably did connect with it from his own network but that would be difficult to prove in anything other than an official investigation.

Next time please provide an unedited, uncut video of yourself packaging the PS4 and handing it to the delivery guy with the PS4 never leaving the frame.

Seriously, this system is prone for scam without you sending the unit to a third party and that third party verifying the PS4 and then handing it to the buyer. And that's probably called gamestop or amazon trade-in.

Garibaldi

The correspondence is hopefully enough to prove that his initial claim the device had been banned means it was not broken when received by buyer.

The buyer can simply say he didn't receive said device. He can say he received this device (a banned machine). Ebay will side with him as it's the responsibility of the seller to prove what they actually sent. The device discussed with the Sony rep could actually still be sat in the OP's home for all eBay knows. This isn't enough.

ironmang

Buying/selling on ebay is still a nightmare. I remember having to file a police report on a $400 purchase just to get my money back when I was sent an empty box. Guy even had a clean account with 400+ feedback. Just started scamming a bunch of people.

Bastables

The buyer can simply say he didn't receive said device. He can say he received this device (a banned machine). Ebay will side with him as it's the responsibility of the seller to prove what they actually sent. The device discussed with the Sony rep could actually still be sat in the OP's home for all eBay knows. This isn't enough.
Sony won't have the banned serial number attached to op's account. Scammer is up the creek.

jesu

Seems there is still a problem in that there is no proof that the PS4 the OP was talking to Sony CS about is the same one he sold on ebay,
Not that I doubt him but you know what ebay are like.

RedFury

That's what I did, so far I've only asked him if he has PS+ the other day, and earlier asking him to confirm the serial number.

I'm the seller, lol
To reiterate that is not enough. EBAY will not go outside of their reach and speak to Sony/Amazon on your behalf to reach the truth. The burden of proof falls on you. You correspondence with Sony may be enough to scare off the buyer but won't help you with Ebay. You need both that and proof that the system in question is indeed the one you sent him with your Amazon receipt (including the serial).

ViolentP

But there is correspondence between buyer and seller explicitly claiming the device received was banned, not broken or unreceived, no? And if proof that the device was in fact not banned, where is the opening for new argument from buyer?

Garibaldi

Sony won't have the banned serial number attached to op's account. Scammer is up the creek.

He sent a mates. Or some other random PS4. I assure you. It won't matter. There is no proof that device was sent therefore the correspondence with Sony is moot.

But there is correspondence between buyer and seller explicitly claiming the device received was banned, not broken or unreceived, no? And if proof that the device was in fact not banned, where is the opening for new argument from buyer?

I'm saying the correspondence with Sony only proves the OP owns a PS4 with a certain serial that is not banned from PSN. It does not prove that that PS4 was sent to the buyer. He could have sent another banned PS4.

Buying/selling on ebay is still a nightmare. I remember having to file a police report on a $400 purchase just to get my money back when I was sent an empty box. Guy even had a clean account with 400+ feedback. Just started scamming a bunch of people.

You sure that seller's account wasn't just stolen? Seems more likely than an established seller making a heel turn.

NewDust

There is nothing that ties the serial number to the console Vashetti send. Hypothetically Vashetti could have send a bricked console and provide the serial number of a working one. It's his word against the buyers.

ironmang

You sure that seller's account wasn't just stolen? Seems more likely than an established seller making a heel turn.

He still was completing some transactions between scams before going full scam. Took me like 1.5 months to get my money back so I saw his feedback often lol.

Weevilone

You never know, it could have been some scummy worker at a shipping company or something too. I returned an OG Xbox to Gamestop and they banned me from shopping there for allegedly sending them a completely empty box. Of course I was able to show that the box I sent was weighed at the UPS or Fedex location at 15 pounds or whatever. But I had to get a friend who was a manager there to straighten the issue out. Could also have been someone in the Gamestop warehouse in my case.

foxdvd

I am glad Sony worked with you and gave you the serial number...but as stated over and over in this thread..

If this guy really sticks with his story, you are still going to lose. There is no evidence that the ps4 you sent was the one your chat with Sony claimed. You have no proof outside your word that you sent him that particular ps4. So if this guy claims the ps4 you sent him was console banned, ebay is going to side with him. I would bet that even if you had a video of you packaging the ps4 with the serial number you would still lose, unless you filmed one unedited take of you packaging the console at the post office and handing it over to the mail person..,..and even then you would probably still lose.

At this point you better hope the guy trying the scam is a scam noob, and freaks out when you put him on the spot.

Weevilone

I am glad Sony worked with you and gave you the serial number...but as stated over and over in this thread..

If this guy really sticks with his story, you are still going to lose. There is no evidence that the ps4 you sent was the one your chat with Sony claimed. You have no proof outside your word that you sent him that particular ps4. So if this guy claims the ps4 you sent him was console banned, ebay is going to side with him. I would bet that even if you had a video of you packaging the ps4 with the serial number you would still lose, unless you filmed one unedited take of you packaging the console at the post office and handing it over to the mail person..,..and even then you would probably still lose.

At this point you better hope the guy trying the scam is a scam noob, and freaks out when you put him on the spot.

At the end of the day, what can a person do? He could have photographed the serial number of the PS4 as he was boxing it up. In the end, there's no guarantee that's the PS4 that was sent. This is the whole reason Ebay is a complete wasteland now. They just auto side with buyers and call it a day. I mean he could have a video of himself boxing up that PS4 after showing the SN. There's still no guarantee he didn't then unwrap it and stick rocks in there.

ViolentP

I'm saying the correspondence with Sony only proves the OP owns a PS4 with a certain serial that is not banned from PSN. It does not prove that that PS4 was sent to the buyer. He could have sent another banned PS4.

There is nothing that ties the serial number to the console Vashetti send. Hypothetically Vashetti could have send a bricked console and provide the serial number of a working one. It's his word against the buyers.

Certainly true. What a nightmare.

Garibaldi

While I think you're goosed here due to lack of proof. It does raise an interesting point.

How do you prove what you sent? I'm thinking an officially stamped and dated confirmation from the postal officer that took the package from you confirming the serial number might be sufficient. Not sure if that sort of thing is done though.

Neff

Sony are really good about this sort of thing.

Bought an expired PSN card from an online retailer recently and Sony was able to prove for me that it was redeemed before I purchased it, despite the retailer saying they'd checked with Sony themselves and claiming otherwise.

Rellik

While I think you're goosed here due to lack of proof. It does raise an interesting point.

How do you prove what you sent? I'm thinking an officially stamped and dated confirmation from the postal officer that took the package from you confirming the serial number might be sufficient. Not sure if that sort of thing is done though.

That doesn't prove which PS4 was sent. eBay can just say he sent a banned PS4 instead of the one he promised to send.

Garibaldi

That doesn't prove which PS4 was sent. eBay can just say he sent a banned PS4 instead of the one he promised to send.

How so? You package it up and take it to the post office. You ask the clerk to confirm on paper the serial of the package you are sending. Ask them to officially stamp it and date it along with the tracking info. That is an official statement of fact from the authorised courier.

That is the only way you can get proof with a witness that what you said you sent is in fact what you sent.

RedFury

This is forgot what it's called but pay extra for the safety. They have to sign it and you can set special provisions like does item Serial match this #? They have to sign they agree to get the item. Then you have proof that they received it and signed that the item they got is what you said it was. You'll get a confirmation to you the moment it's signed sent to email or phone however you like. It's great!

SRTtoZ

Like people already have said, if this person is a seasoned fraudster he will just say his banned console is the one that you sent him and Ebay won't care and will just refund him no matter what. You're best hope here is he either isn't a seasoned fraudster and gets scared off or you just empty your Paypal and disconnect any bank accounts/CC's and never use Ebay/Paypal again (until you repay them your negative balance that is).

This reminds me of a time long ago when I sold an Ultima Online account on Ebay, ya know, when you could actually sell digital game accounts without it being against the ToS. I sold it for $500 and I got the money, deducted it from Paypal and spent it on something I wanted at the time. So a week or 2 later I notice my Paypal balance is negative $500 and I find out that Paypal claims he used a credit card without his permission from his parents, so they refunded them the money and I didn't get my account back. So I typed up a long email about how I was going to call the cops and he was going to get in so much trouble and whatnot (which was bullshit but whatever, I was trying anything I could) and he ended up sending me all the money he had which was like $300 and he gave me the account back, which had most of the characters I cared about DELETED (what a little fucker).

Weevilone

How so? You package it up and take it to the post office. You ask the clerk to confirm on paper the serial of the package you are sending. Ask them to officially stamp it and date it along with the tracking info. That is an official statement of fact from the authorised courier.

That is the only way you can get proof with a witness that what you said you sent is in fact what you sent.

Good grief, my local postal workers will barely do the bare minimum they are paid to do, and there's a line of 20 people behind me when I ship something. No way they do this.

Garibaldi

Good grief, my local postal workers will barely do the bare minimum they are paid to do, and there's a line of 20 people behind me when I ship something. No way they do this.

Haha, yeah. I'm guessing it would be some extra paid for thing. I'm fairly confident a proper courier service would offer it.

Anoxida

Wait what did write to him? If you asked what serial number it was on the ps4 and he writes your serial number then u should be good. Of he's seasoned you're fucked tho. Just clean out the accounts and peace out. EBay is shit any way you'll get by.

Hopefully is the key word there, but the buyer could still potentially scum their way out of it. As I stated before, I'm hoping that this just leads to them backing down entirely.

Wounded

OP is the email you use with ebay the same as the one you use with PSN?

You could ask Sony to confirm that there's never been a serial number with that ID (if the buyer provides one) tied with your account and assuming it's the same email as the one you use on ebay, ebay might at least look on you favourably, even though it's not definitive proof.

Vashetti

Banned
OP is the email you use with ebay the same as the one you use with PSN?

You could ask Sony to confirm that there's never been a serial number with that ID (if the buyer provides one) tied with your account and assuming it's the same email as the one you use on ebay, ebay might at least look on you favourably, even though it's not definitive proof.

Yup, pretty much same email for everything.

And good idea, if he provides another serial, I may contact Sony again just to get written evidence on their end that that serial has never been attached to my account.

Synth

Yup, pretty much same email for everything.

And good idea, if he provides another serial, I may contact Sony again just to get written evidence on their end that that serial has never been attached to my account.

I feel bad to continually be the "but what if?" guy. But I have multiple XBL and PSN accounts.

Bracket

Don't know if this has been discussed, but could it be possible that the buyer is telling the truth? Like he could be IP banned but mistaking it as a console ban. And it could be the case that he has a dynamic IP and just got assigned a previously banned one this month by his ISP.

Not trying to assemble a "defense force" but I'm genuinely curious. That's all.

EDIT: Nevermind. Missed the part where he has been using it online.

Vashetti

Banned
Don't know if this has been discussed, but could it be possible that the buyer is telling the truth? Like he could be IP banned but mistaking it as a console ban. And it could be the case that he has a dynamic IP and just got assigned a previously banned one this month by his ISP.

Not trying to assemble a "defense force" but I'm genuinely curious. That's all.

If you read the screenshots I posted, Sony state the console is online, he's been using it.

Top Bottom