• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Nutjob: Congressman swearing in on Koran "worse than 9/11"

Status
Not open for further replies.

impirius

I very much would like to believe that this sort of thinking isn't widespread in America...

Some guy named Dennis Prager said:
Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the first Muslim elected to the United States Congress, has announced that he will not take his oath of office on the Bible, but on the bible of Islam, the Koran.

He should not be allowed to do so -- not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American civilization.

First, it is an act of hubris that perfectly exemplifies multiculturalist activism -- my culture trumps America's culture. What Ellison and his Muslim and leftist supporters are saying is that it is of no consequence what America holds as its holiest book; all that matters is what any individual holds to be his holiest book.

Forgive me, but America should not give a hoot what Keith Ellison's favorite book is. Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress. In your personal life, we will fight for your right to prefer any other book. We will even fight for your right to publish cartoons mocking our Bible. But, Mr. Ellison, America, not you, decides on what book its public servants take their oath.

Devotees of multiculturalism and political correctness who do not see how damaging to the fabric of American civilization it is to allow Ellison to choose his own book need only imagine a racist elected to Congress. Would they allow him to choose Hitler's "Mein Kampf," the Nazis' bible, for his oath? And if not, why not? On what grounds will those defending Ellison's right to choose his favorite book deny that same right to a racist who is elected to public office?

Of course, Ellison's defenders argue that Ellison is merely being honest; since he believes in the Koran and not in the Bible, he should be allowed, even encouraged, to put his hand on the book he believes in. But for all of American history, Jews elected to public office have taken their oath on the Bible, even though they do not believe in the New Testament, and the many secular elected officials have not believed in the Old Testament either. Yet those secular officials did not demand to take their oaths of office on, say, the collected works of Voltaire or on a volume of New York Times editorials, writings far more significant to some liberal members of Congress than the Bible. Nor has one Mormon official demanded to put his hand on the Book of Mormon. And it is hard to imagine a scientologist being allowed to take his oath of office on a copy of "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard.

So why are we allowing Keith Ellison to do what no other member of Congress has ever done -- choose his own most revered book for his oath?

The answer is obvious -- Ellison is a Muslim. And whoever decides these matters, not to mention virtually every editorial page in America, is not going to offend a Muslim. In fact, many of these people argue it will be a good thing because Muslims around the world will see what an open society America is and how much Americans honor Muslims and the Koran.

This argument appeals to all those who believe that one of the greatest goals of America is to be loved by the world, and especially by Muslims because then fewer Muslims will hate us (and therefore fewer will bomb us).

But these naive people do not appreciate that America will not change the attitude of a single American-hating Muslim by allowing Ellison to substitute the Koran for the Bible. In fact, the opposite is more likely: Ellison's doing so will embolden Islamic extremists and make new ones, as Islamists, rightly or wrongly, see the first sign of the realization of their greatest goal -- the Islamicization of America.

When all elected officials take their oaths of office with their hands on the very same book, they all affirm that some unifying value system underlies American civilization. If Keith Ellison is allowed to change that, he will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11. It is hard to believe that this is the legacy most Muslim Americans want to bequeath to America. But if it is, it is not only Europe that is in trouble.
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/...des_what_book_a_congressman_takes_his_oath_on

Don't read the comments on that page; they will break your brain. I'm not usually the type to post this kind of stuff, but this is just disheartening.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Prager_Dennis.jpg

Here's the wacko in question. Not much else to be said really. If you are in this camp I feel sorry for you.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think congressmen should only swear on the Constitution of the United States of America, not on the Bible, nor the Quran, nor any other religious book.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Panajev2001a said:
I think congressmen should only swear on the Constitution of the United States of America, not on the Bible, nor the Quran, not any other religious book.

That's actually a great idea.

ckohler

Panajev2001a said:
I think congressmen should only swear on the Constitution of the United States of America, not on the Bible, nor the Quran, nor any other religious book.
You've earned your tag well. I couldn't agree more.

Thraktor

JayDubya said:
There shouldn't be swearing in on any religious book. Period.

They can swear in on whatever they want, there's nothing saying it has to be religious, it just (as far as I can tell) is pretty much always chosen to be.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
They should probably swear on the Consititution. Isn't that the document they are supposed to be faithful to as government servants?

GilloD

Banned
Panajev2001a said:

This is the best idea I've heard in months.

First, it is an act of hubris that perfectly exemplifies multiculturalist activism -- my culture trumps America's culture. What Ellison and his Muslim and leftist supporters are saying is that it is of no consequence what America holds as its holiest book; all that matters is what any individual holds to be his holiest book.

Well. Yeah. I mean. Isn't that what freedom of religious expression is about?

Master Z

Panajev2001a said:

This makes perfect sense and after thinking about it, I'm baffled that this is not how it is.

It's weird to me that there has never been a Muslim in the US Congress until now, given that they're a pretty large segment of the US population.

ronito

Yeah, was I the only one that when they read the title thought, "Oh, it'll be an old white republican."

Seriously pubbies, you guys need to get your people in line.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
bob_arctor said:
Prager_Dennis.jpg

Here's the wacko in question. Not much else to be said really. If you are in this camp I feel sorry for you.
molesterer of young boys, I'm calling it now, before the 'breaking surprise news' occurs in a few years.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Panajev2001a said:

Dammit, that is a hell of an idea. I need to send that to my congressman.

explodet

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/11/30/koran-bible-prager-ellison/

But Prager’s column is based on one other glaring error: the swearing-in ceremony for the House of Representatives never includes a religious book. The Office of the House Clerk confirmed to ThinkProgress that the swearing-in ceremony consists only of the Members raising their right hands and swearing to uphold the Constitution. The Clerk spokesperson said neither the Christian Bible, nor any other religious text, had ever been used in an official capacity during the ceremony. (Occassionally, Members pose for symbolic photo-ops with their hand on a Bible.)
So.... yeah.

C4Lukins

Until they actually start prosecuting congressmen for breaking their swearing in oath, who cares what the swear on. I would personally choose Green Eggs and Ham, a personal favorite of mine, and the book I base my religious beliefs on. If I am swearing on Green Eggs and Ham, I am sticking to my word. Make me swear on a Bible and I am bound to lie cheat and steal.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
chaostrophy said:
It's weird to me that there has never been a Muslim in the US Congress until now, given that they're a pretty large segment of the US population.

About 1% is large now? And remember up until the last few decades it was extremely small.

NWO

chaostrophy said:

Um looking at 2001 data it would be 1-2% of the population at the most. Christians at 77% are the largest. So I don't get where that's a pretty large segment of the US population.

ronito said:
Yeah, was I the only one that when they read the title thought, "Oh, it'll be an old white republican."

Is there anybody in the Republican party that isn't an old white person?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
If Keith Ellison is allowed to change that, he will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11.
I'm sure the thousands of families affected by the deaths from 9/11 appreciate this comment. What a f*cking asshole.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
NWO said:
Um looking at 2001 data it would be 1-2% of the population at the most. Christians at 77% are the largest. So I don't get where that's a pretty large segment of the US population.

staggering statistic.

Exis

0303_prager1.JPG

This is a lie by a fool, per wikipedia---- The swearing-in ceremony for the House of Representatives never includes a religious book.

zon

beez writes:
Islam is a profound threat
To Western culture, to democracy and to freedom.

I love those who have no real understanding of the tenets of Islam screaming about separation of Church and State. These are the same people who have no understanding of history. They have their head in the sand, they buried it after it was filled with lies by Madeline Murray O'Hare and other secularists.

First, a little history:

Like it or not, guys, the USA was founded as a Judeo-Christian republic. In his founding document, Thomas Jefferson (often quoted as being the creator of "separation of Church and State" said:

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

I have news for you guys, "Divine Providence" is a poetic invocation of God Almighty! Deal with it.

Second: Islam is fundamentally opposed to free republican ideals because Religion IS the state. Shar'ia law is REQUIRED by Islam, everywhere at every time. The rule of the dhimmi will apply to those of you who aren't feminists or homosexuals. (Those will simply be put to death)

As I read Robert Spencer, I become more convinced that Islam must be destroyed. As a Christian and American, I hate to say something that extreme, but it is true.

To Karl I can only say this. Islam has no God. The evil human being who DARES call himself a prophet co-opted the One True God and replaced him with a violent creature whose sole purpose is to oppress, murder and maim so that his followers can live in carnal pleasure throughout eternity.

Sorry, but the god of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Jesus has NOTHING to do with the abomination that is Islam!

Just an example of the comments about that article. Batshit insane is all I have to say.

APF

Exis said:
This is a lie by a fool, per wikipedia---- The swearing-in ceremony for the House of Representatives never includes a religious book.
I think it's pretty harsh to call Ellison a liar.

impirius

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the public "swearing in", which is basically a glorified photo-op and not the oath of office proper. The Constitution even explicitly states that there is to be "no religious test" when taking an oath of office.

Reading through the comments on the link has juuuuuuuust about destroyed my faith in humanity. At least until I came across this (apparently earnest) post. An excerpt:
Imagine a solar system in which the adherents of each religion and/or philosophical approach to reality built a settlement suited to their vision of the best of all possible futures.

The Hebrew residents of Israel could have their own asteroid, carved out into a series of beautifully decorated caverns in which they could live in peace with each other--and could even leave the solar system should they have a mind to do so.

Pellham

Banned
catfish said:
staggering statistic.

Not really. Majority of christians in the US aren't actually religious, they just consider christianity their heritage. Give it a few hundred more years and Christianity will become like Judaism (where its considered more of an ethnicity/culture than a religion). Same thing will probably happen to Islam.

LordMaji

That's ****ing retarded. He should be able to take his oath to something that means more to him. Taking an oath to a bible that he doesn't hold any faith to doesn't mean shit.

People take oaths on stuff that mean a great deal to them. You don't take oaths to something that doesn't mean a damn thing to you because it's of course meaningless.

****ing retardation.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Pellham said:
Not really. Majority of christians in the US aren't actually religious, they just consider christianity their heritage. Give it a few hundred more years and Christianity will become like Judaism (where its considered more of an ethnicity/culture than a religion). Same thing will probably happen to Islam.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The constitution also upholds the right of people to not be sworn in at all if they choose. They can "affirm" themselves in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom