• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

3137MB, yeah. It is HD I guess, though it still seems on the big side.
It generally doesn't cause increases in file size to render the same assets at a higher resolution, so unless they upressed every texture in the game or something...

There's also the FMVs the game used - relatively few, admittedly, but if they rerendered those, I suppose it would cause the file size of the overall game to balloon... I kind of assumed they'd just use the old renders, though.

Downloaded the demo despite not really being interested in this release, and now I'm debating whether or not I should actually just take the plunge or not. >_>

Visuals hold up nicely, though.

Alchemy

If the assets haven't changed, the file size wouldn't either, no matter what resolution you render them at.

Texture assets DO change when you go from SD to HD. That is the entire point of an HD remake, 3D models upscale just fine to higher resolutions. Texture file size bloats like crazy when you increase their resolution.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Actually, the poster just thought the XBLA, PSN and iOS listings under the SA2 listing was for SA2, while it was actually for Sonic 4 Episode 2:
31984461.png

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic...lation-media-topic/page__st__1660#entry561861

The game has never been listed for iOS.

jesus christ just draw a horizontal line

(yes I know it wasn't you)

Game looks and controls great...still not a fan of most of the songs (Keep it instrumental) but I'm liking the Pumpkin Hill song, kind of. I'm stuck at this freaking level because I can't find the last emerald piece...darnit!

City Escape still has the best music so far.

BlackJace

Game looks and controls great...still not a fan of most of the songs (Keep it instrumental) but I'm liking the Pumpkin Hill song, kind of. I'm stuck at this freaking level because I can't find the last emerald piece...darnit!

City Escape still has the best music so far.

I've found that the hardest emeralds are near the top of the mountain/in the church area.

3GB! holy cheese what did they add, the textures in videos do not look that much better then the cube version.

1GB for Dreamcast version
1.5GB for Gamecube version
500MB of extras

Xbox owners will have to download the 1.5GB version as a DLC pack, where PS3 owners get it as an unlock key.

(This is a joke suggestion, I have no information on why this is 3GBs

ShadiWulf

i think i might regret buying this.. not because it's a bad port.. but because I've already got a headache from emerald hunting! <3 lol

Rlan

The XBLA version is 2.3GB. NiGHTS is 2GB. Didn't watch the video, but the one in Jet Set was low quality -- maybe it's not in SA2?

ShadiWulf

The XBLA version is 2.3GB. NiGHTS is 2GB. Didn't watch the video, but the one in Jet Set was low quality -- maybe it's not in SA2?

its not low quality at all in NiGHTS. so I'm guessing SA2 is the same, its locked in SA2 and i don't know how to unlock it...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
3 GB? I think I'm going to d/l SA2 tomorrow in time for the long weekend and just get NiGHTS tonight...

I'm eager to see that Iizuka-sama interview that Shadi's been talking about. :p

S1kkZ

Downloading the game right now, how are the graphics, controls and framerate holding up in the PS3?

looks good but it shoud be sharper, its a little soft. framerate of the demo seems fine.
too bad they didnt fix any of the pop-in, its the same as it was on the dreamcast.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Finally downloaded and installed. Went ahead and grabbed the battle DLC, too. What's another 3 bucks?

DonMigs85

Texture assets DO change when you go from SD to HD. That is the entire point of an HD remake, 3D models upscale just fine to higher resolutions. Texture file size bloats like crazy when you increase their resolution.

Explain Resident Evil 4 HD then.

ezodagrom

Copy-Paste from the NiGHTS topic, since this is related to both NiGHTS and SA2.

Edward@Sega, one of SEGA's community managers, made a comment about the PC version of SA2 and NiGHTS in the SEGA blogs:

Hey everyone — just wanted to reply to some of what I saw in the comments here! I understand the sensitivity over release dates and that if you are waiting for a PC version, then you don’t want to feel short-changed. It has been previously announced that it is coming to PC — that’s not new. If you feel like that was a backhanded way to mention it, please accept my apologies. I meant it as a reminder.

First, ‘months’ is the language from the press release. The choice to add that we’re in luck was mine. I totally see why it was taken as a ‘you’re in luck you have to wait’ comment but it was meant more along the lines of ‘those of us who care about PC games can be happy knowing that it is on the way.’

It’s not meant as an exact figure — it doesn’t mean that it will take X or more months. It means the date is ‘to be announced’. That is literally all it means. I think in general, companies have to be cautious about release dates, especially if they estimate too early. I can’t say more because we don’t have more information to impart.

Second, my enthusiasm there is real. :) I am looking forward to playing it on PC. Given a choice it’s where I play most games. I am speaking 100% as a fan there — sometimes I get caught up in being able to write about games I am a genuine fan of. So when I say ‘you’re in luck’, it means that for multi-platform release PC games haven’t always gotten the best possible version. I’m happy to say that’s changing. This was not a guarantee in the past.

Obviously it would be best if everything released together, but that simply can’t always happen. Here’s why:

The extra time is not because we didn’t develop the PC version along with everything else. XBLA and PSN have a much more streamlined release structure — it’s part of what makes those platforms so appealing. ‘PC’ is not a single store, though — there are a lot of different moving parts and places that may sell a given game, be it Amazon or Steam or Origin or GOG or whatever. To make sure those line up takes a little longer, especially at a time of year when companies release a ton of games.

I hope that helps explain the comment — I know no one likes to wait. I can’t tell anyone they have to like waiting a little longer, but for now that’s what we have to do. These games and the fan communities for them mean a ton to me, so if there’s any questions or lingering doubts, please let me know, I’ll try to answer as best I can.
http://blogs.sega.com/2012/10/02/av...nture-2-and-nights-into-dreams/#comment-72206

Texture assets DO change when you go from SD to HD.
No they don't. I can boot up GZDoom and play Doom 2: Hell on Earth at 1920x1080, but the assets are still in one single 13.9MB WAD file, with most textures being well under 256px x 128px large.

Also, Dolphin. Renders Wii games in HD. That doesn't mean the file size of the ISO you're running in it bloats up, though; it's the same assets, but the screen is larger.

That is the entire point of an HD remake, 3D models upscale just fine to higher resolutions. Texture file size bloats like crazy when you increase their resolution.
This is assuming Sega took the time to redo every texture in the game. Honestly, I had assumed they would just port the textures as present in the Dreamcast original and simply increase the resolution that the game renders at - maybe redraw the HUD elements to look nice at that resolution. This is precisely what they did for Jet Set Radio, to my understanding. This'd be why some people were complaining that the textures on the models in that game look a bit blurry - because they're literally the same textures the Dreamcast game used.

If they did, in fact, redo all the textures and art assets for the increased resolution for SA2, it wouldn't only explain the size increase, it'd seriously be surpassing any expectations I'd had for this HD rerelease.

MechaX

Oh man... This is my first time playing these Knuckles/Tails stages in years... What in the fuck was Sonic Team thinking?

I also love how the music drowns out the voice acting almost all of the time.

Revven

The Halloween emerald collecting stage was the hardest thing ever.

First time through? Definitely a pain in the ass.

Repeated playthroughs to get A rank? Not... terribly teeth wrenching. But maybe I have rose tinted glasses because I played this game way too damn much when I was 12. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if when I play this (when PC version releases) I'll still remember the common locations of the emeralds in Pumpkin Hill & Wild Canyon. Or hell, even Meteor Herd.

I don't know what I was on when I was 12 to replay those levels, other than probably to get shit for my chao. :V

qq more

They really are awful. Somehow worse than SA1.

Shooting is much slower and heavier. And the combos aren't as satisfying as they were in SA1. (Not to mention Tails' levels were annoying designed compared to Eggman's)

And the Emerald Hunting was just downgraded. The ability to sense only ONE emerald in order is really annoying. And it doesn't help the levels are sometimes stupidly huge so you have to spend hours finding them.

So lammmeeee.

BlackJace

Even though people are already remembering the frustrations they had with the game, I can't help but feel that you all are doing it out of nostalgic love. Like when I cursed out parts of Knuckles stages earlier, I still had this "ahhhh it's been awhile" thought in the back of my head :)

MechaX

Even though people are already remembering the frustrations they had with the game, I can't help but feel that you all are doing it out of nostalgic love. Like when I cursed out parts of Knuckles stages earlier, I still had this "ahhhh it's been awhile" thought in the back of my head :)

No, the only thing in the back of my head is "Why the fuck didn't I just pick up Nights before picking up SA2." This thought was doubled after I cleared Pumpkin Hill about a minute ago.

... In fact...

Rlan

As crazy large as Meteor Herd was, it was cool to traverse. It's when you start being in a fucking hurry with the different ranks is when you begin to loath them :)

BlackJace

No, the only thing in the back of my head is "Why the fuck didn't I just pick up Nights before picking up SA2." This thought was doubled after I cleared Pumpkin Hill about a minute ago.

... In fact...
Man, Pumpkin Hill is really stumping folks today. The stages that make me rage are Security Hall, Meteor Herd, Death Chamber, Mad Space, and Eternal Engine.

MechaX

Man, Pumpkin Hill is really stumping folks today. The stages that make me rage are Security Hall, Meteor Herd, Death Chamber, Mad Space, and Eternal Engine.

Fucking hell, I forgot about Meteor Herd.

Edit: Son of a... Pumpkin Hill, Tails level, and Aquatic Mine all back to back.

MarkusRJR

I'm buying the majority of the DD Sega games on PSN tomorrow. Are there any I should avoid? I heard bad things about the HD port of Sonic Adventure 1 but I love that game. Are the bad reviews due to it being a bad port or just people not liking the game?

Also, how the fuck are these games so big? RIP PS3 hard drive.

WillyFive

I'm buying the majority of the DD Sega games on PSN tomorrow. Are there any I should avoid? I heard bad things about the HD port of Sonic Adventure 1 but I love that game. Are the bad reviews due to it being a bad port or just people not liking the game?

Still not sure if SA2 is a good port or not, but it does have HD and widescreen, so it's already better than the lazy SA1 port.

BlackJace

I think a lot of people would say that SA1 is the superior game, but in general, the port got shat on because, yes, it was a bad port. 4:3, ugly bordering, nothing new, etc.

Top Bottom