• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

Tsunamo

It continues to baffle me why people seem to forget Colors ever existed.
Same here. I hear a bunch of people say Generations was the only good Sonic game that got it right ever since he started to go downhill, but Colours did a great job before it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. I hear a bunch of people say Generations was the only good Sonic game that got it right ever since he started to go downhill, but Colours did a great job before it.

Couldn't stand the floaty jump- the Generations controls weren't the tightest they could be but I found it a lot more tolerable.

I filled that poll in and I am sure I picked Big the Cat.

123817.75165530.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Colours > Generations
This is the truth. Edit: In terms of design.

The drifting in Colours leaves much to be desired and I'm glad they fixed it in Generations. But both Colours and Generations are different games in terms of scoring and design (power ups), imo.

Satch

Banned
lord what kind of nostalgia

I remember back then, I'd just boot this game up to listen to the music. When Shadow the Hedgehog came out, it was the same thing. I was wondering why Sega even bothered making Sonic games anymore when they could just put out some great albums instead.

Colors was also kind of dull, if you ask me. I believe somebody at Sonic Team admitted that they were essentially trying to create a Mario-ized Sonic game because they were on the Wii and that kind of shows. It's kind of a slow, plodding game, focused very heavily on platforming. But the controls aren't very good for general platforming, so it just ends up kind of frustrating and boring.

The only levels I think I really genuinely enjoy from Sonic Colors are the ones in Asteroid Coaster because they feel closer to the "flying by the seat of your pants" gameplay from Unleashed and Generations and as such are the only remotely exciting levels in the game.

Don't get me wrong, Sonic Colors is a pretty good game, but it needs a better balance of runny-fasty bits and slowy-hoppy bits.

Christopher

I know what I said when I said until generations. I didn't forget colors.

Also Shadow is probably one of the worst games ever made...ever. I think that Heroes stamped the Sonic franchise with "not as a good as" Sonic Adventure gameplay...however Shadow then took then story, gameplay, and characters andt thew them out the window.

ShadiWulf

Christopher

I hope they patch Sonic Adventure 1 what the hell is with the borders...

Also I like how you have to "Pay" to have the upgraded versions of the games. I actually prefer the logos of the original games compared to the newer ones anyway.

ShadiWulf

and according to that same thread from the same poster iOS is no longer listed on sega-press

I don't think it was an error.. i just think they listed it earlier then they planned to by accident, but I suppose we will see.

EuroMIX

The only levels I think I really genuinely enjoy from Sonic Colors are the ones in Asteroid Coaster because they feel closer to the "flying by the seat of your pants" gameplay from Unleashed and Generations and as such are the only remotely exciting levels in the game.

I actually hate that kind of gameplay because it becomes more about boosting your way through levels and reaction times rather than actual platforming. Colours gave levels greater depth with the things like the drill wisp which meant getting a good score was less about holding boost to win and actually interacting with the environment.

I have always said that I prefer Sonic as an action-platformer rather than a racing game.

I know what I said when I said until generations. I didn't forget colors.

Also Shadow is probably one of the worst games ever made...ever. I think that Heroes stamped the Sonic franchise with "not as a good as" Sonic Adventure gameplay...however Shadow then took then story, gameplay, and characters andt thew them out the window.

I found Shadow better than Heroes if only because the story was somewhat meaningful (rather than just lolMetalSonic) and the grinding controls were actually competent and an improvement over SA2. It also had some quite interesting concepts such as the cyberspace levels.

Colours was the best way to handle a Sonic story, IMO, since there's serious moments intermixed with humour.

I actually hate that kind of gameplay because it becomes more about boosting your way through levels and reaction times rather than actual platforming. Colours gave levels greater depth with the things like the drill wisp which meant getting a good score was less about holding boost to win and actually interacting with the environment.

I have always said that I prefer Sonic as an action-platformer rather than a racing game.

I, on the other hand, love it. This is a really good video that explains a great deal about the entire Sonic franchise and why things in it "worked", and there's a particularly good bit about Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations that nails it:

Combined with a more robust scoring system, [Sonic Unleashed] became less about WHETHER you finished, and more about HOW you finished. Did you take the fastest path? Did you grab as many rings possible? Chasing S-ranks was now akin to getting five stars in Guitar Hero. It wasn’t about finishing the song, it was about finishing it as closely to perfect as possible, through twitchy finger movements and rote memorization.

Maybe Sonic doesn't need to be a strictly Mario-style platformer.

Huh, an iOS release? I guess that could work out okay if it can support the gamepad things that are out for it. Also, is this getting a PC release? I've seen some sites saying yes and some saying no. Kinda confusing.

As for Sonic Colors, I haven't played it properly but judging by playing Generations, I'm not a huge fan of the 3D Sonic sections. It works alright, I guess, but I do miss running around freely and exploring (a little bit, anyway) the stages in SA/SA2. Generations seems to frown upon this a lot more. I do like the 2D sections quite a bit though.

Rlan

Jet Set Radio has a confirmed iOS release, so a SA2 one isn't too far fetched. Plus, I've played Rayman 2 on iOS :)

Jet Set Radio has a confirmed iOS release, so a SA2 one isn't too far fetched. Plus, I've played Rayman 2 on iOS :)

How well does that port run, out of curiosity? I remember hearing it was based of the Dreamcast version code, but never heard about how well it is performance wise.

ArjanN

Huh, an iOS release? I guess that could work out okay if it can support the gamepad things that are out for it. Also, is this getting a PC release? I've seen some sites saying yes and some saying no. Kinda confusing.

Yes, but they've been kind of annoyingly silent about it. Same with Nights HD.

Rlan

How well does that port run, out of curiosity? I remember hearing it was based of the Dreamcast version code, but never heard about how well it is performance wise.

I'm pretty sure it's just the PC version. Main issue is that it's just an old port -- it was ported back when the 3G was popular, so the thing doesn't run in retina and doesn't really take advantage of stuff we have now.

Colors was also kind of dull, if you ask me. I believe somebody at Sonic Team admitted that they were essentially trying to create a Mario-ized Sonic game because they were on the Wii and that kind of shows. It's kind of a slow, plodding game, focused very heavily on platforming. But the controls aren't very good for general platforming, so it just ends up kind of frustrating and boring.

That's actually why I prefer it, there is a few more platforming zones in the levels compared to turbo mode stuff running around half of the generations levels.

Colors has more flow to it and certainly feels less of a "mixed bag" and more of its own, single adventure, but Generations' level design is immaculate, even if there are overall less levels. The controls and flow to Generations is the best series has seen in 3D, period, and the game as a whole is so easy to jump into for a quick run in. Colors' levels are fun but less standoutish than Generations', it's more fun to blast through the game in one sitting with the Challenge Mode, but playing levels on their own leaves a bit to be desired.

TimmiT

and according to that same thread from the same poster iOS is no longer listed on sega-press

I don't think it was an error.. i just think they listed it earlier then they planned to by accident, but I suppose we will see.

Actually, the poster just thought the XBLA, PSN and iOS listings under the SA2 listing was for SA2, while it was actually for Sonic 4 Episode 2:
31984461.png

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic...lation-media-topic/page__st__1660#entry561861

The game has never been listed for iOS.

EuroMIX

I, on the other hand, love it. This is a really good video that explains a great deal about the entire Sonic franchise and why things in it "worked", and there's a particularly good bit about Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations that nails it:

Maybe Sonic doesn't need to be a strictly Mario-style platformer.

But that's just it, Colours was exactly the same but just focused less on speed and more on how you explored and interacted with the environment. It seems that games like Unleashed are good if you want to mindlessly blast through levels without really drinking them in, which kind of negates the point of making them look attractive if you are too busy dashing past them to notice, while Colours had little touches like the lower area in one of the Sweet Mountain levels where you can use switches to interact with enemies in the distance and skill is required to hold onto all of your rings and get a good score.

Also, I don't know if this is a difference in how the Wii handled effects compared to HD systems, but I found it much easier to admire the environments while playing in Colours than I do in Generations. Some parts of the latter are a literal blur to the point where I don't even feel like I'm even controlling Sonic (and often run into things I didn't really see coming). The Wii's boost effect, for instance, is very stripped down in comparison and the game benefits from this.

I didn't see Colours as a Mario-ised Sonic game, at least not in any negative way, it remains the best 3D Sonic since SA2B. I'd say that if Mario-ising Sonic resulted in Colours then Sega should Mario-ise Sonic as much as possible.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just rushed to my PS3 like a kid on Christmas morning. Disappointed, just like on Christmas morning. Will check this evening I guess.

The Boat

I usually call it a tie, but Colors was more consistent and more cohesive.
I was very disapointed with Colors, I loved the demo, but when I got the game half the levels were awesome, half were shit. The good ones were the best of any 3D Sonic, the bad ones reminded me that Sega is atrocious at designing a damn level.

Kokonoe

Banned
Chalk me up for Generations perfecting the Modern Sonic formula. 2D in Colors is too slow for my tastes.

I just rushed to my PS3 like a kid on Christmas morning. Disappointed, just like on Christmas morning. Will check this evening I guess.

What? hahaha.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Chalk me up for Generations perfecting the Modern Sonic formula. 2D in Colors is too slow for my tastes.

What? hahaha.

The only game I asked for. And it wasn't there. :'(

As a consolation prize I will also purchase Nights into Dreams.

ezodagrom

A few months for the PC version, hmm...
If the PC ports of NiGHTS and SA2 are as good as the Jet Set Radio port, I don't mind waiting a few months. Of course I would like to have them sooner rather than later, but oh well.

lfvgt

Neo Member
I can surely wait a few months for a well done port. I don't want my nostalgia to be punched right in the balls.

drspeedy

Normally I'd make some snide comment, like how anyone playing this for the first time should really find a new, more enjoyable hobby like gargling arsenic and shoving bamboo shoots under their toenails, but since I'm trying to be more polite I'll let the folks here spend their money first, they can make their own assumptions...

I'm just a nice guy that way.

But that's just it, Colours was exactly the same but just focused less on speed and more on how you explored and interacted with the environment.

But Sonic Colors was plodding! It had poor, awkward controls for the type of platforming it wanted you to do. Like a lot of modern Sonic games, it had "momentum" in its air control, which is secret code for "you never land on the platform you are aiming for". It was especially bad in Colors, too - a lot heavier than Unleashed or Generations, I'd say. And you do a lot of stupid jumping puzzle bullshit in Sonic Colors - more than almost any other Sonic game ever made. It might actually be a contender for one of the slowest Sonic games, outside of obvious stuff like Sonic 3D Blast.

It seems that games like Unleashed are good if you want to mindlessly blast through levels without really drinking them in, which kind of negates the point of making them look attractive if you are too busy dashing past them to notice, while Colours had little touches like the lower area in one of the Sweet Mountain levels where you can use switches to interact with enemies in the distance and skill is required to hold onto all of your rings and get a good score.

If you really think Sonic Unleashed is about "mindlessly blasting through levels without drinking them in" I don't think you were really playing the game right, or weren't paying attention to it in the right way.

Plus, I mean, let's talk about all of the rich detail you get in Sonic Colors when you're forced to slow down. The bit in Sweet Mountain doesn't really count, because that doesn't use anything unique to Sweet Mountain's environment type - you are not crushing robots with cheeseburgers. That could've been in Starlight Carnival, or Tropical Resort, or anything, because it's just buttons and spike pits - it's entirely divorced from the level theme.

It doesn't matter if you're going slow in Sonic Colors, because it is not as though you are "drinking in" the environment anymore than you would if you were running fast, because Sonic Colors, like Sonic Unleashed and Generations, is more or less built on the idea of "tilesets" - which is to say there is nothing to distinguish Pagoda #1 from Pagoda #4731 in Aquarium Park.

Nor are you really traveling too fast in Sonic Unleashed to not notice setpieces like the giant clock in Rooftop Run, the eagles in Dragon Road (or, indeed, the dragon roads), the cars in Skyscraper Scamper... I could keep going.

And that's completely ignoring the fact that a lot of levels in Sonic Unleashed actually have details and areas that are only really noticeable if you slow down and look for them. There's a whole cafe area complete with readable menus and a moon medal in Windmill Isle that is almost impossible to see if you're running at full speed. There are a lot of cases in Unleashed where it pays to slow down and creep through the level at least once, and things are set up so you can do that if you want.

Also, I don't know if this is a difference in how the Wii handled effects compared to HD systems, but I found it much easier to admire the environments while playing in Colours than I do in Generations. Some parts of the latter are a literal blur to the point where I don't even feel like I'm even controlling Sonic (and often run into things I didn't really see coming). The Wii's boost effect, for instance, is very stripped down in comparison and the game benefits from this.

It sounds to me like you're faulting the game for something you yourself are having trouble handling. :p

As for the quote on "Mario-izing Sonic"... here's an IGN interview:

"From a general game design perspective, in recent years we've been able to introduce Sonic to new fans, a lot of the Nintendo/Mario fans, and because of that, we've made changes to the design, and we've designed things in Sonic Colours that we think will really appeal to people who are unfamiliar with the Sonic brand and the Sonic gameplay. So from that perspective we hope that fans of Mario will really be able to enjoy playing as Sonic in Sonic Colours."

Loved what I played at PAX. Picked up a tire and played through almost the entire level with it. Definitely a good port.

Although whether the game is just as good as it was is a completely separate story.

Apparently it's 3GB.

How the hell? The DC could only hold somewhere around 1GB, and GC discs only around 1.5GB... so how did we get a 200%-300% increase in size?

Top Bottom